[Iron Gauntlet 2017] IA: Knights Defiant

Brink

I think Eysines' great houses should hold annual martial arts competitions or even flower wars, so the planet's young men can demonstrate their martial skills; the great houses will adopt the winners of these competitions (or notable warriors, in the case of flower wars). Such meritocracy makes those the great houses rule, more willing to support their rulers' ideals; it also justifies letting Knights Defiant recruits maintaining their links to the great houses, instead of severing these links to ensure their are no challenges to the recruits' loyalties (what most Chapters do, mind-wiping their recruits to erase the young men's links to life before they became Marines).

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

Thanks again Bjorn I've been really busy lately but I did read your suggestion and I have been working on this in my free time and I should have an update fairly soon.

I like the idea of this chapter. The houses idea is awesome. Just a few questions: Are the Houses named after important figures or noble/royalty on your Planet? Have you figured out a color scheme? if not, I think some have mentioned the Space Wolves for inspiration on different company markings. Battle Tactics? Very interested to see how they in battle compared to Imperial Fists.

To answer your question on color scheme Lephisto the Knights Defiant have a deep purple as the primary and silver as the shoulder pad trim and gold for other iconography. As for the House names I went with some Latin for different things ie Ferox=Defiance and for house Wayland it was named after a former tech marine and chapter master and has a unique name in the chapter. I'm sad to say I'm still working on battle tactics as i've been working on why there are houses instead of companies and the homeworld culture to support that (expect and update by Friday at the latest).

So i'm sorry for the long pause but here is a rough idea of what I came up with in regards to the Houses. 

Every year the Knights Defiant hold a tournament style trial for aspirants and each House selects the best performing aspirants from the planets House that mirrors theirs. This allows for each marine to maintain loyalty to their respective house and to the chapter. Each House leader in the chapter is also the leader of the planetary house but doesn't actively lead it as they appoint a worthy individual according to the chapter. This also gives the Knights defiant planetary rule and full autonomy on the planet.

Let me know what you think and how I can improve! 

So I think it's high time to work out a battle cry while I work on the chapter tactics. I'm addressing both issues at the moment and for the chapter tactics I was thinking of trying to make a style that incorporates quick assaults like the Black Templars but also defends like the Imperial Fists (still working on this and is subject to change).  As for the battle cry based on what I want the chapter personality to be like I thought of this "Falter not my Brothers!".

Let me know what you think!

Hello again! I've started to read quite considerably on battle tactics after looking over many of the Legions and 2nd founding chapter tactics. With some new knowledge in mind I really want to create my own unique fighting style for astartes but I find it quite difficult to do alone. So I have come for C&C. I really like the IF never back down mentality but at the same time I feel as if its too slow a pace for astartes and I would rather not end up a clone of the Black Templars fighting style so I want to create a unique style that focuses arround mechanized assualt similar to Panzer Grenadiers from the Wermacht of WWII Germany with a focus on using armored transports to close the gap and create makeshift cover positions.  

Looking forward to some comments so please don't be shy. 

I'm so sorry for the lack of posting lately my schedule has been quite hectic due to finals. Bjorn I would like to ask what exactly you meant in regards to rules as I can't actually look as I don't have the codex. I would still like to hear some other opinions on the chapter battle tactics I'm trying to work out. 

Thanks!

Have you considered the 'Houses' come from the planet they recruit from. Then each house takes on the characterisitics of its leader. E.g I become captain of the 4th House. Now referred to as House Minigiant. In battle we take the battle to the enemy in mighty armoured vehicles of the emperor, alongside the largest weapons an Astartes can carry.

I find write Index's is to create a framework you want it to cover. E.g History, Origin, Gene-seed, Organisation etc. That way you can tackle each one seperately, and regain momentum for this IA. As I think you are onto something, just requires a bit of jigging, and as much or as little assistance from any of your B&C peers

Minigiant the Knights Defiant only recruit from Eysines which is their home world and the "Houses" are pretty solidly founded atm I just haven't updated the initial post yet. I'm editing the initial post now and it will be done maybe by Monday. 

Edited by Brink

So ironically, Iron Hands CT works well for the combat style you're talking about (at least in these last days of 7th), there is also the Anvil Strike Force from Angels of Death which basically mounts all units in transports. If you were to make up a CT using current rules, maybe Bolter Drill and Machine Empathy, or some sort of +1 BS to support tanks.

I hate to do this but I honestly think I agree with NovemberIX and would say my CT will be and will stay like the Anvil Strike Force its just so close to what I want my chapter to fight like so I'm adopting it. Sorry for the un-creative solution.

So I have modified the initial post putting in the segmentum and sector where the Knights Defiant operate.  I chose the Vidar Sector because it is quite hostile and is under constant siege by Daemons and Xenos according to the Wikipedia and is located near the Ghoul Stars like I initially wanted.  So with that in mind I would like to say the Knights Defiant preffered enemy will be Chaos Marines/Daemons.

Lovely concept, though the writing for the first two sections needs to be fine tuned, it's somewhat choppy as it stands right now, but does get the basic point across. I like the idea of the chapter being divided into houses, mainly because it is similar to how my Paladins of Midterra IInd Legion project is organised but also because it makes sense for the culture of your chapter, given their homeworld.

I did have a question though. Why would the entire population have to be purged if there were still loyalist elements among the population? This seems at odds with the Ultramarine's way of thinking to me, though that could be fixed simply by changing the chapter involved with making the decision.

Also, why was the early history of the chapter lost? Without any sort of insight into the reason, or even a hint, you run the risk of the reader simply losing interest and moving one. On the other hand, with even a little expansion you've got the beginning of an interesting story that could draw the reader in.

I look forward to where you decide to go with this project, keep at it and good luck!

TheBlindprimarch on your question on why was the chapter history lost I was thinking a couple of librarians secretly turned to chaos and rebelled and in the process took a lot of the chapters lore when some of them escaped and I plan on adding a little bit of story where the chapter is trying to hunt them down to regain its history. As for the Legion that purged the world I was thinking of changing it to the Blood Angels. 

So I think I have a good basis to finish the challenge with I just need to add some words and refine the writing some. With that in mind could anyone possibly tell me what comes off as difficult to read/understand and I will try to fix it.

Thanks!