[Iron Gauntlet 2017] IA: Knights Defiant

Brink

I have updated the first post with some Ideas I have been working on. I know its rough right now but this is just to meet the challenge deadline I will still actively working on my IA. Thanks for all the help!

Interesting you have there, but i have one thing i'd like to have clarification about:

Why do only the 1st and 2nd houses have access to Terminator armor and chapter relics. Are the other houses considered less important or are they valued less? If marines stay in the same house for their whole "career" can't only those lucky enough to be born to houses mirroring the 1st or the 2nd be able to use those? Did i understand something wrong?

Sorry if my critique looks a bit rough i don't mean it that way, keep up the good work!

Legionare I honestly hadn't thought why only the 1st and 2nd House get Terminator armor I just wrote it one day and left it but I can work on a reason or just omit it all together. 

Chapter Tactics: The Knights Defiant can be seen most often deploying in large armored strike forces and often use the Gladius pattern for deployment.

Lovely piece so far.

What is the 'Gladius pattern'. I have no idea what this is?

Edited by Brother Emund

The Gladius Strike Force can be seen on page 113 of the current Space Marines codex and it states "The Gladius Strike Force allows you to represent the typical structure of a Space Marine army on the 40k battlefield. Whether you wish to represent a full Battle Company with support elements or a force assembled to tackle a specific threat."

Its basically a chart the gives you options for Librarius conclaves, Armored Task forces,  Company structures and some others. You can use it to field basically a company, demi-company, or an entire chapter if you wish.

Hope that Helps!

Hey Brink-

Overall I like two aspects of this IA very much.

The first is the color scheme. It is what I picture when I read the name, and vice-versa: the name suggests the scheme. It's a great fit.

The second aspect is the clash among what are essentially two sects within the promotion of the orthodox view vis-a-vis the chapter cult: the Reclusiam and the Librarius. Interestingly, your story in your IA is sort of the opposite of mine. I have a successful coup by a Librarian that inaugurates a renegade faction, where yours suppresses one. Partially for selfish reasons and partially not, I'd be interested to see this further developed, as I do think it's a neat theme. In most chapters the distinction blurs. There really is just one official party line. In the Space Wolves, for example, both the Wolf and Rune Priests agree that the RP's powers are from Fenris itself and not the Warp.  But perhaps in your case, the two factions don't agree, with one thinking of the other as going way overboard. I'd love to see this route taken up.

Only one real criticism is on the "tone" of your IA: it reads as if you're speaking to other Fraters here at the B&C rather than to the denizens of the universe in question. You don't have to do what I do (make an internal Inquisitorial memo as a formatting move), but I do wish just that your tone in how you communicate your chapter's idiosyncracies was one that clearly had in mind another member of the universe. Perhaps that's a personal preference, but maybe it's something you might want to try if it tickles your fancy.

Thank you bloodhound23 I have been looking for that kind of help! I really need to work on the writing but as it stands I write in a boring fashion as I'm too used to research papers. I will try to take your consideration into my future revisions and writing.

So just an update for everyone the fluff will be put on hold for right now as I participate in the Iron Gauntlet second challenge. I will be posting some of my work here so opinions are still wanted thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey again I've been really bust painting for the second Iron Gauntlet challenge and I've completed a company command squad, a terminator squad, a librarian in terminator armor, and I'm working on the final touches of a land raider redeemer. I'll be putting up pictures soon(once i figure out how to get better quality) so thanks for being patient with me and I hope to hear some feedback!

Why is Wayland referred to as "Former Chapter Master"? Did he step down for some reason, maybe so he can resume his duties as a Techmarine, or fulfill a death oath like Uriel Ventris? Did his battle-brothers vote him out of office? (If he was dead, he should be referred to as "late Chapter Master".)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I'm Sorry for the long delay life as been hectic. but I'm here to post images of everything I have painted so far except the Land Raider which is still a WIP.

IMG 0476

IMG 0469

IMG 0470

IMG 0468

IMG 0467

IMG 0466

IMG 0474

IMG 0472

IMG 0464

IMG 0463

IMG 0461

IMG 0473

IMG 0471

Hope you like them and please give feedback!

So I'm not taking a "wait and See" stance I'm just strapped for funds right now. As I said in my previous post life's been hectic. I am however super hyped for the new primaris librarian. I'm also holding out some hope for some less unipose primaris Marines to be released. Also thanks for the kind words about the terminators I'm particularly happy with the Librarian.

So while I was working on the Land Raider I was thinking about some of the lore of my chapter so far and I was thinking of changing the name. I want some opinions on this so feel free to let me know. I have only come up with one idea so far but I was thinking of the Imperial Templars. Please let me know what you think Thanks!

Also Side note as for the chapter badge I think I'm just going to use the Black Templars Maltese cross.

Edited by Brink

"Knights Defiant" is a fine name. If you wish to incorporate the words "Imperial" and "Templar" in the name, you might as well make it part of a very long "official" name, e.g., "Knight-Guardians of the Temple of Rogal Dorn's Defiance", named after a temple built on the site of an Imperial Fists victory. (The "Knights Templar" is but the nickname of the Poor Fellow-Soldiers of Christ and of the Temple of Solomon.)

So i'm here posting the mostly painted Land Raider it's still under work. Please excuse my unpainted Thousand Sons in the background and the patchy paint in the vehicle itself.

IMG 0488 (1)

Any ideas on making it look better would be greatly appreciated!

Looks good! It's a little hard to tell from the pic, but possibly adding some thin lines of wash into the crevices and/or some edge highlighting in a slightly lighter shade of purple might add more definition to the armour panels.

By the by, I like Knights Defiant, much more original than Imperial Templars.

Thanks for the input on the Land Raider and Name. I think my total point value atm for the second challenge is about 700 so I've cleared bronze and I don't know If I will attempt for silver. 

Going back to the idea the Knights Defiant are named for a "Temple of the Emperor's Defiance" (I reconsidered the name, and believe Rogal Dorn unlikely to put his own honor before his master's), you can say the reason Aachen was never conquered because the city was built around the temple, and considered "holy land." Would-be conquerors willing to violate the inviolable, will face fanatical defenders who think nothing of sacrificing themselves in defense of the "holy land."

So quick update on what I'm doing atm I've finished the land raider entirely but my camera has broken sadly. So while it's being fixed I'm revising the lore grammatically and fixing some minor points that have been mentioned to me. You can expect the initial post to look different within 3 days or so. Hope you'll enjoy what I'm doing and hopefully it'll be an easier read as well.