Good Death Guard novels?

Bulwyf

My wife is starting to get interested in playing and wants to get into some death guard fun. She's wanting to read some black library books on them.I don't really remember any. Can you guys suggest some books?

http://i.4cdn.org/tg/1491408604329.png

Unfortunately, they don't have much dedicated material, and I'm not aware of any worthwhile works in 40k era.

As for 30k, Flight of the Eisenstein isn't bad, but its more of a Garro book than and entire legion book. Chris Wraight's work on the faction has been the strongest, with interesting supporting roles in both Scars and especially Path of Heaven. He also wrote Daemonology on Mortarion, which is a very good short.

DG-'focussed' in 40k, I can only think of three stories overall:

- Cadian Blood, but it isn't really about the Death Guard - though it is a fine wee book.

- The Carrion Anthem. Very short, but interesting. Again, not really about Death Guard.

- "Vox Dominus"? One of Anthony Reynolds' Word Bearers stories happens to have a fairly big sequence here Death Guard crop up, if my memory serves correctly.

Roomsky's right that Chris Wraight's Horus Heresy work goes into the most detail & best presentation of the Legion (and is pretty much the single best run any one author's had in the Heresy - consistently excellent [or better]), but again the Death Guard aren't really the focus. They're given a lot of material, for all that.

If there's any interest in Nurgle more widely, I found Darius Hinks' Orion & Ariel trilogy to be absolutely top notch.

thanks for the suggestions guys. I have read pretty much every BL novel over the years and couldn't remember a single DG focused novel for the life of me. Glad to see I couldn't because one does not exist. Still wish they would get some kind of BL fluff love though.

I will go with the suggestions here, esp. the forge world heresy books. I know she's already wanting to try and keep the bone white with green trim on the models look.

Is Mortarion going to get a Primarchs novel? For that matter will we ever get a HH novel focused primarily on the DG?

Yes to the first, unless for some reason they stop that series. I doubt it, it seems to be doing well.

I can't answer the second with certainty, but it seems very, very likely there will be one. 

Chris Wraight for one is looking forward to the fall of the Deah Guard as a major event, which to my mind implies that it'll be the subject of a book centred on them. It'd be daft for it to just be part of someone else's novel.

I get the impression James Swallow is working on something Death Guard-related too, maybe to mirror his earlier involvement with Flight of the Eisenstein

There are a lot of ways we could get covered, though. Are they going to do a novel set in the late Heresy that leads up to the becalming on the way to Terra and ends on a dark note? Then would a second book be out, covering the White Scars on Terra and taking off where that first one left off with a bit of corrupt Death Guard POV? Would one book cover everything Death Guard, from that journey to their involvement on Terra? Is it Jim or Chris or a surprise from left field who's slated for the Primarchs novel?

We'll see! I'm looking forward to it though. We badly need more representation but I'm pretty optimistic about it.

I'd love to see Death Guard as the bridge from Imperium Secundus/Age of Darkness into the Siege. Obviously White Scars and Blood Angels are there too, but nevertheless- the 'lack of pretense' about the Death Guard's brutality feels like a really rich seam through which to view the closing horror and rapidly escalating disasters of the close of the Heresy.

They wouldn't get sidetracked by stuff (allowing you not to get bogged down in the emotional impacts already tread in the series), but still allow a view of all the madness

And, if Chris Wraight is writing - awesome!

Fingers crossed on Chris Wraight being the author! Preferably for both the Primarch novel & the fall (and then an interaction with the Khan on Terra, if I"m allowed to be greedy). If I had to choose between the Primarch novel and their fall though, I'd have Wraight do the fall.

Is Mortarion going to get a Primarchs novel? For that matter will we ever get a HH novel focused primarily on the DG?

Laurie Goulding did confirm on here not that long ago that the fall of the Death Guard will get a novel. We just don't know when or who will be the author.

Fingers crossed on Chris Wraight being the author! Preferably for both the Primarch novel & the fall (and then an interaction with the Khan on Terra, if I"m allowed to be greedy). If I had to choose between the Primarch novel and their fall though, I'd have Wraight do the fall.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the idea of Primarch novels being fairly, err, novel in the combination of Legion & author.

Chris'd knock it put the park, of course, but imagine him taking the helm with Sanguinius or Vulkan or Horus or Ferrus...

(Actually, I'd love to see him do a "Young Eidolon" novel or two, now that I think about it. A spin-off from the spin-off that was itself a spin-off of a spin-off? [Eidolon-Primarchs-HH-40k-Warhammer Fantasy])

But I digress.

For Mortarion & the Fall, it'd be great to see all the moving pieces. Erebus & Horus' influence. Schisms within the Death Guard of those Astartes Supremacists with Typhon, or more inclined to Mortarion, the religious devotees and the anti-religionists all in a big, sweeping drama played out on the journey to Terra. Opponents, enemies, interlopers... the whole kit and kaboodle.

I'd love to see Death Guard as the bridge from Imperium Secundus/Age of Darkness into the Siege. Obviously White Scars and Blood Angels are there too, but nevertheless- the 'lack of pretense' about the Death Guard's brutality feels like a really rich seam through which to view the closing horror and rapidly escalating disasters of the close of the Heresy.

They wouldn't get sidetracked by stuff (allowing you not to get bogged down in the emotional impacts already tread in the series), but still allow a view of all the madness

No, no and no. Imperium crappundis should have been dropped a long time ago. Don't even go that way.

Major event of DG corruption does not need to be a novel - it could be a full novella or part of the novel about other really prominent event.

To have 400 pages about succumbing and marooned DG  - no, thank you. Even if it will be Wraight - who made the best DG in HH to date.

No, no and no. Imperium crappundis should have been dropped a long time ago. Don't even go that way.

Major event of DG corruption does not need to be a novel - it could be a full novella or part of the novel about other really prominent event.

To have 400 pages about succumbing and marooned DG  - no, thank you. Even if it will be Wraight - who made the best DG in HH to date.

Couldn't disagree more, it absolutely needs a novel.

Any of the books can be boiled down to "400 pages about X": Horus Rising was 400 pages about the Luna Wolves being the Luna Wolves, Scars was 400 pages about the White Scars not knowing what's going on, The First Heretic was 400 pages about Lorgar having a crisis of faith. The point is what the author does with it. We don't actually know that much -about- the fall of the Death Guard, which is precisely why I feel it needs a novel, because it's a big event with lots of potential for good story-telling. In many of the other books the climactic event does not take up all or even most of the book, the book can be spent building up interesting characters and scenarios, making the end-game pay-off all the more satisfying when it comes around.

Couldn't disagree more, it absolutely needs a novel.

Any of the books can be boiled down to "400 pages about X": Horus Rising was 400 pages about the Luna Wolves being the Luna Wolves, Scars was 400 pages about the White Scars not knowing what's going on, The First Heretic was 400 pages about Lorgar having a crisis of faith. The point is what the author does with it. We don't actually know that much -about- the fall of the Death Guard, which is precisely why I feel it needs a novel, because it's a big event with lots of potential for good story-telling. In many of the other books the climactic event does not take up all or even most of the book, the book can be spent building up interesting characters and scenarios, making the end-game pay-off all the more satisfying when it comes around.

Ok - in my humble opinion Morty fate was sealed in 'Daemonology'. It's nuances after that. And I prefer the end result - not the road (which is abused to hell and back with overprized fillers)

One thing I want at the outset of any Fall of the Death Guard novel is a Heresy battle from their point of view, or even an Isstvan flashback. We've seen the Death Guard moderates in action, the burning of a near-defenceless world, Destroyers in an isolated action, four Death Guard in a still smaller action and a huge void action, but we have yet to witness the Legion's true power outside of the FW books.

One thing I want at the outset of any Fall of the Death Guard novel is a Heresy battle from their point of view, or even an Isstvan flashback. We've seen the Death Guard moderates in action, the burning of a near-defenceless world, Destroyers in an isolated action, four Death Guard in a still smaller action and a huge void action, but we have yet to witness the Legion's true power outside of the FW books.

That is exactly what I want as well. I want to see the DG in their glory before the Heresy proper or at least see them in action kicking ass as the stars in their own novel.

Endgame on Isstvan III (with a Loyalist Destroyer captain blasted and cut to ribbons, but kept nameless) or the last triumph of the "pure" Death Guard as Mortarion travels to link up with Typhon. That's the opening sequence I'd like to see.

Laurie Goulding did confirm on here not that long ago that the fall of the Death Guard will get a novel. We just don't know when or who will be the author.

Can't wait for this to come out. DG has been severely underused in the HH.

Archived