Good Death Guard novels?

Bulwyf

One thing I want at the outset of any Fall of the Death Guard novel is a Heresy battle from their point of view, or even an Isstvan flashback. We've seen the Death Guard moderates in action, the burning of a near-defenceless world, Destroyers in an isolated action, four Death Guard in a still smaller action and a huge void action, but we have yet to witness the Legion's true power outside of the FW books.

Indeed - cause their 'movement' in Vengeful Spirit was not the best depiction of their stratagem.

One thing I want at the outset of any Fall of the Death Guard novel is a Heresy battle from their point of view, or even an Isstvan flashback. We've seen the Death Guard moderates in action, the burning of a near-defenceless world, Destroyers in an isolated action, four Death Guard in a still smaller action and a huge void action, but we have yet to witness the Legion's true power outside of the FW books.

That is exactly what I want as well. I want to see the DG in their glory before the Heresy proper or at least see them in action kicking ass as the stars in their own novel.

For that you will have a Primarch 'Mortarion' novel. At this point main HH serie do not need additional fillers.

'Mortarion travels to link up with Typhon. That's the opening sequence I'd like to see.'  - indeed that's what we need to see. Typhon was a bad boy on his own for a long time.

Can't wait for this to come out. DG has been severely underused in the HH. - Hussah to that. It's long past time for them to shine

• 3 weeks later...

That is exactly what I want as well. I want to see the DG in their glory before the Heresy proper or at least see them in action kicking ass as the stars in their own novel.

I then proceeded to get quite excited about that idea and this happened. So I'd like something along those lines but, you know, done by a pro like Wraight.

I get the impression James Swallow is working on something Death Guard-related too, maybe to mirror his earlier involvement with Flight of the Eisenstein

I want him to, because I think that was his strongest stuff - not just great anyway, but also a bit of a primer in how to write an HH novel that raked up everything from the old IA article as well as incorporating more recent stuff from the lore, and tying itself into other people's HH novels. That sounds simple, but it's practically an art form. 

The problem is that Jim is now Sunday Times-bestselling author of NOMAD and EXILE James Swallow, with his name up in lights practically everywhere - so when someone described him the other day as "a huge fish in a little pond" they weren't kidding. 

I'll be gutted if he doesn't finish his DG stuff, though - I loved FotE so much that the Death Guard were the enemies in my first novel, and used the same mantra as Jim's Death Guard, and so on. I showed it to him in a hotel bar back when I was really new, and then Katie spilled cider all over my knee and the table. It was one of those nights.

I get the impression James Swallow is working on something Death Guard-related too, maybe to mirror his earlier involvement with Flight of the Eisenstein

I want him to, because I think that was his strongest stuff - not just great anyway, but also a bit of a primer in how to write an HH novel that raked up everything from the old IA article as well as incorporating more recent stuff from the lore, and tying itself into other people's HH novels. That sounds simple, but it's practically an art form. 

The problem is that Jim is now Sunday Times-bestselling author of NOMAD and EXILE James Swallow, with his name up in lights practically everywhere - so when someone described him the other day as "a huge fish in a little pond" they weren't kidding. 

I'll be gutted if he doesn't finish his DG stuff, though - I loved FotE so much that the Death Guard were the enemies in my first novel, and used the same mantra as Jim's Death Guard, and so on. I showed it to him in a hotel bar back when I was really new, and then Katie spilled cider all over my knee and the table. It was one of those nights.

Plus he is also a master of Deus Ex franchise narratives (especially spinoffs and prequels to the main games - Human Revolution and Mankind Divided) and simply a charming fella.

To have a drink with him at the Belfry bar was a privilege.

Plus Nomad and Exile are good indeed - they have their 'cons' - but in general a truly amazing read.

As for his Death Guard novel - I think he has a rightful successor in Chris Wraight. His depiction of Mortarion is the best to day. As for the James himself - if he will finish Fall of the Death Guard it would be good too, his last DG Typhon short was quite good.

So we have win-win in any case

Well, it's been said before, but FotE was also what, book 4? It was written before a lot of Legions had "things." So it would be interesting to see him tackle a Legion that's changed so much since then. 

I'll be honest, I don't think anyone "gets" the Death Guard better than Chris Wraight. Unless ADB gets a chance to write a full blown novel set from the DG perspective I can't see another BL author having a legit chance to equal Wraight's level of excellence.

Well, it's been said before, but FotE was also what, book 4? It was written before a lot of Legions had "things." So it would be interesting to see him tackle a Legion that's changed so much since then. 

In general you could call first 10 books already partly outdated lol. With everything that went afterwards lol.

True, but then I just really want Wraight's take on it.

But you will have Haley instead it seems.

I'll be honest, I don't think anyone "gets" the Death Guard better than Chris Wraight. Unless ADB gets a chance to write a full blown novel set from the DG perspective I can't see another BL author having a legit chance to equal Wraight's level of excellence.

A D-B and Death Guard - no, thnaks. Don't get me wrong - I think Bowden will write and interesting and cool novel, which would be the most 'none' Death Guard novel ever written.

After sojorns of Wraight - I do want for him to tackle it. But as I mentioned above from all the seminars and events it seems Haley would be doing Mortarion and Death Guard.

Eventually it all leads to 'we will see eventually'.

• 4 weeks later...

In general you could call first 10 books already partly outdated lol. With everything that went afterwards lol.

A D-B and Death Guard - no, thnaks. Don't get me wrong - I think Bowden will write and interesting and cool novel, which would be the most 'none' Death Guard novel ever written.

After sojorns of Wraight - I do want for him to tackle it. But as I mentioned above from all the seminars and events it seems Haley would be doing Mortarion and Death Guard.

I asked Chris Wraight on his twitter about writing more DG and he confirmed it is not scheduled for him to do so. He did say never say never but I take it to mean he's writing other projects. I'll happily buy whatever he writes, he is that good. I just hate that he won't be writing DG as I think he "gets them" like no other.

I asked Chris Wraight on his twitter about writing more DG and he confirmed it is not scheduled for him to do so. He did say never say never but I take it to mean he's writing other projects. I'll happily buy whatever he writes, he is that good. I just hate that he won't be writing DG as I think he "gets them" like no other.

In the HH - sure. He became more proffecient with them than Swallow or Haley. But it would be Haley who would do Morty (and he already did Morty at the Dark Imperium)

I have no issue with Hayley looking at Death Guard. There's some decent if short Death Guard coverage in Dark Imperium - more general Nurgle daemons stuff, which is fantastic - but Hayley also very clearly 'gets' Mortarion specifically and is clearly working with the character development Wraight did in Scars, Daemonology and Path of Heaven. He's got the relationship between Typhus and Mortarion down solidly.

'He's got the relationship between Typhus and Mortarion down solidly.' - true, sadly the whole novel as a whole is a fail. The best parts of it are flashback to Fulgrim and Robi and Typhus and Mortarion

Archived