8th Edition Rumours

MoGuy

I would hope if the command point thing is true, that isnt something bland like a reroll(s). They should be for buying Orbital Strikes like the chapter masters get, or the various abilities you can get from the other expansions, and even more interesting is if command points were something you could earn through the course of the game, to spend like kill streaks in Call of Duty.

That would be cool, and awesome, so it's unlikely that command points are anything beyond a stupid reroll(s) because GW disappoints like Bungie and 343i.

I just feel rend will make the game go too quickly. Suddenly you're losing 2x the marines from Bolter fire :/ same with DP, nearly 3 wounds on average from bolter fire (assuming -2 rend)

Yes and no; I imagine wounds will be adjusted as well. I dont see marines staying at 1 wound in this system as of this moment. 

Shadow War weapon stats and marks of chaos might be an indication of what is coming for CSM in 8th.

MoK going to +1A would be nice. MoT being a 5++ would be a pretty solid improvement for the units you normally don't want to take it on, but as is it would be redundant on units with TDA or the daemon USR (assuming TDA and daemon USR still give a 5++ in 8th). MoN didn't need a change. But +1I for MoS would be pretty lackluster if the charger gets to attack first. Maybe MoS will grant Always Strikes First (like you know we are going to see sooner or later)

Also when chainaxes get a rend value that will be a pretty big deal.

This was my thought process as well!  Mark of Tzeentch will still probably give +1 to any existing invul save. 

That makes the units far better with Tzeentch Mark base and makes the mark worth taking, while also giving a built in benefit for units with the mark already.

If thousand sons legion stays the way it is......that would imply an easy 4++ on every unit in the army, or a 5++ at minimum, 3++ on rubricae and other units not withstanding of course.....along with that ignoring rend.  If true; Rubricae just became one of *the* most resilient models in the game lol.  (of course I am making *Alot* of assumptions here)

(oops, I nearly deleted your post instead of quoting it...shows that I shouldn't be moderating anything before my morning coffee! :P )

(of course I am making *Alot* of assumptions here)

Don't feel bad, everybody is making a lot of assumptions here. :D

A reminder for everybody is that even though w have more rumours now, they're still rumours. And even if they are true they're but a fraction of the total rulebook. The only thing we know is that we hardly know anything about 8th ed...

I would hope if the command point thing is true, that isnt something bland like a reroll(s). They should be for buying Orbital Strikes like the chapter masters get, or the various abilities you can get from the other expansions, and even more interesting is if command points were something you could earn through the course of the game, to spend like kill streaks in Call of Duty.

That would be cool, and awesome, so it's unlikely that command points are anything beyond a stupid reroll(s) because GW disappoints like Bungie and 343i.

Have a look at Gathering Storm III and it's Cataclysm of War missions, it has a system of Command Points when playing those missions. I'd wager that 8th will have something almost identical.

Basically, you start with 3 Command Points and gain one for every Detachment in your army, including any Formations that make up that Detachment. You can then spend those points during the game on any one of a number of bonuses, including a reroll (on anything, like Fateweaver) or auto passing a reserves roll.

I expect 8th with work in the same way, except with a series of Faction-specific bonuses in addition to the base ones.

Have a look at Gathering Storm III and it's Cataclysm of War missions, it has a system of Command Points when playing those missions. I'd wager that 8th will have something almost identical.

Basically, you start with 3 Command Points and gain one for every Detachment in your army, including any Formations that make up that Detachment. You can then spend those points during the game on any one of a number of bonuses, including a reroll (on anything, like Fateweaver) or auto passing a reserves roll.

I expect 8th with work in the same way, except with a series of Faction-specific bonuses in addition to the base ones.

Assuming deep strike doesn't change, spending a point to arrive without scattering would be pretty sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

Well how about we look at it in a different way...

The previous editions have constantly been adding more and more rules. More and more complications to the point that GW doesn't seem to be able to keep things straight. Now let's translate that to the table top. How long do our games take? I remember back in 3rd/4th you could bang a 1500 pt game out in no time, now? HA! Feels like it takes forever even with everyone on their game. We have to check over this codex and that one, but god forbid you forget another book at home because you want to use 5 factions at once.

I will warmly welcome a 8th edition that trims down all the extras. Are Allies cool? Sure they are and when I played Marines (I have since repented to the Chaos Gods long ago) I wished I could have some allies or some sort from other SM codexs and Imperial armies. But let's look at things now...Tau and Eldar death star lists? I mean cmon, it is getting a bit ridiculous now. That is why I always liked Chaos because GW for the most part kept them all under that same banner.

If they change up the armies so now that it is Imperium (So all the SM Codexs, Ad Mech, Inquisition/etc), Chaos (Legions/warbands/traitor guard/daemons), and tossed the rest of the xenos hordes their own codexs that would be great. Why? Because it would be simplified. Not to mention the three ways to play would really allow everyone to play how they wanted to play. What to roll the major gittrain-list? Go ahead, here is a means to play it. Want to play fluffy as all warp? Sure, here you go. We shouldn't penalize people for wanting to play the game differently, but we shouldn't force someone to play the game differently either. Options in this case are awesome. Stupid allies chart that makes little fluff sense but gives mathhammerites a chubby should stay in the tournament area, not be a constant at the local watering hole.

Want to take out a hell of a lot more models in assaults and shooting? YESSSSS!!! It is war after all, and grim dark so it should be worse. I warmly welcome a way to speed up model death on the table and make it more brutal, which is probably partly due to my cold black heart that warms up slightly when I see plasma guns explode. Probably also why I miss the old chaos rules that actually made you think and sometimes the chaos gods were fickle with what they blessed your models with and you should have sacrificed more dice to the dice gods if it didn't turn out well for you. But that is neither here nor there, back on topic.

AV going away and wounds coming in would be so much better and make Landraiders probably worth more than they are now. Assaulting out of Rhinos, even better. It means we as chaos aren't completely shafted any more when it comes to unit delivery. Now if our rhinos had the assault transport rules and the loyalists didn't well...that would be cool too.

Overall I'm just sitting back looking over the rumors and hoping that Chaos gets a new dex (or warscrolls or whatever it will be) and upgrade some of the old model sets. With what they have hinted at and what they have done so far for the T-sons gives me hope that the others will get equal love and it makes my chaos tainted heart weep tears of sweet warp stained joy at the thought of it.

Assuming deep strike doesn't change, spending a point to arrive without scattering would be pretty sweet.

Damn I like the sound of that. Tactical flexibility in place of randomness! Yes!!!

If GW can revamp all codexes at once then I personally want allies gone or limited, super-friends has become a horrific bloated mess of broken rules abuse.

Honestly it really should be a single formation at most that you should be able to take and that is it. You have your main army and 1 (one, o-n-e, singular not plural) formation or datasheet, something not crazy bloated and takes up no more than a quarter of your points. And there should be a lot more negatives for taking a unit that is so far unfluffy that you are forced to do stupid good to make up for it. Want to play with Tau and Eldar? Sure, but those Eldar count double VP points. Something to actually make it a negative for playing a whacked out list.

And I doubt that GW would revamp them all at once and release them, unless it absolutely needs it when 8th drops, similar to AoS. But who knows, maybe they will and then release the actual dex's afterwards.

Honestly I hated it when GW took away daemons from the basic chaos dex but in the end I think it allowed for more models to be created and a dex that wasn't the size of the rule book. And my above mentioned example would still fit. You want to run DG with some plague friends from papa nurgle? Sure. But you don't get a huge second army out of it because, by fluff, you need a lot of death to bring that many daemons across from the warp so having that many less show up is reasonable, fluff wise.

I really like the sound of the news rules. If you look to AoS for new or possible rules they published the steampunk dwarf airship.

If those translate units can act as normal after disembarking. Which means assualting out of Rhinos would be a thing which would be a boon to CSM.

The rules also allow overburdening a transport which raises its transport capacity but lowers its movement. If they rules port over fairly equatably then you could have 15 Khorne Berzerkers assault out of Rhino.

Also i dont see templates going away, mostly because Shadow War still has them included. I could see sustained fire rules and certain powerful weapons do like D3/D6 damage like AoS.

Posted · Hidden by Excessus, April 18, 2017 - No reason given
Hidden by Excessus, April 18, 2017 - No reason given

Better yet where are the rules for traitor marines hanging onto chains hanging from a warhound titan ala World Eaters 30k style.

I wish we could have marines use defilers as transports hanging on for dear life like that awesome apocalypse formation where some smart yet insane Beserkers thought it would be a good idea
Yeah bring back the Defiler with the Khorne Champion on its back, that was awesome. Even if there is a chance one of your guys might fall off.

That was my favorite Apocalypse formation. The Defiler that khorne Berzerkers would use to ride into battle. Just hanging on by some chains. I would like to see more rules that stay true to fluff but are relatively practical in games too. Though i would sacrifice practicality over adherence to fluff.

I found the description, atleast, online. A skullchampion riding a defiler which increased its movement, initiative, and attacks and had a transport capacity.

God that would be awesome I'd really take defilers more if I could do that especially on my Nurgle marines would be even more epic if maulerfiends could be ridden around by chaos marines :D especially with these rumoured assault rules

:cuss it, brothers, hang on to the hull and gun it!

There was a varient of the defiler that allowed units of khorne Berserkers to move along side it and assault 12" per turn grabbing hold with chains and such, though any rolls of 1 meant they fell off and died.

It also had the stats of a berserker because one was controlling it like a Juggernaught rider.

Well, not sure if anyone noticed but...

If one were to go to that new warhammer40000.com site or whatever it is that they have posted up and look under the armies they list Renegades, Thousand Sons and Death Guard. So I think that there is a good chance we will see some Death Guard sooner than we thought, maybe they will be in the new starter box set?

Edit: The organization is also changed, Imperium, Chaos and Xenos....we might just be able to really mix and match more with daemons/marines/cultists now....

Well, not sure if anyone noticed but...

If one were to go to that new warhammer40000.com site or whatever it is that they have posted up and look under the armies they list Renegades, Thousand Sons and Death Guard. So I think that there is a good chance we will see some Death Guard sooner than we thought, maybe they will be in the new starter box set?

Edit: The organization is also changed, Imperium, Chaos and Xenos....we might just be able to really mix and match more with daemons/marines/cultists now....

I would bet money that 8th edition will be Ultramarines vs. Death Guard (or something similar). In the "New to Warhammer 40k" page there's this image that leads to the "Play" section. In it the two people are playing with those armies. It's just a guess but I reckon it's a photo from the new edition.

Well lets remember....the formations and data sheets outside of the Tsons units do not list points and may be potentially still viable depending on how everything pans out. Now our codex? That wont be worth anything.

Archived