8th Edition Rumours

MoGuy

Several people on their fb page have asked if TL book will still be relevant considering how new it is. Geedub has given the standard faq answer that all books are not compatible with 8th. Hooray

That sucks, but we don't know how armies are going to be built in 8th yet.

I'm hoping that we have our 'codex' to download, we get VOTLW for free for all csm units and you pick a set of rules (so what legion), you get your legion rules as they are in traitor legions, but no longer need a second printout to field them this way.

Then we get our battletomes (or suitable 40k term), so battletomes heretic astartes will be the basic undivided legions (sucks but what can you do) while battletome world eaters has all the rules for your khorne loving marines, be they khorne daemonkin or world eater legionares or a recent renegade crew

At a cursory glance it looks as if we are still getting codexs, but like the AOS Battletomes (its basically a codex)

Though I do share the annoyance at my beloved Wrath of Magnus not being rules-valid anymore, I look forward to seeing the entire line of rules being revamped, Frontline gaming has mentioned (or it was mentioned) that they saw the ruleset in development and are pleased so that gives me hope for the future.

I am equally as overjoyed to see that Thousand Sons (along with Death Guard) are getting their own section of army options. I would presume this means that we will be getting *Some* kind of codex, though a "Chaos compendium" type thing such as with AOS getting a huge battletome for the entire faction would also be welcome. either or.

I would hope that the various battletomes will be like Daemonkin and include the "Daemon" stuff as well (assuming that the Tzeentch and Khorne battletome books are anything to go by!)

Although pure speculation on my part, it sounds like it could have a great structure for the forthcoming edition. A TOTAL codex rebalance is *literally* what everyone has been asking for to balance out the game, remove the bloat, balance the game....sounds like a win-win overall for everyone that stays for the new edition.

At a cursory glance it looks as if we are still getting codexs, but like the AOS Battletomes (its basically a codex)

Though I do share the annoyance at my beloved Wrath of Magnus not being rules-valid anymore, I look forward to seeing the entire line of rules being revamped, Frontline gaming has mentioned (or it was mentioned) that they saw the ruleset in development and are pleased so that gives me hope for the future.

I am equally as overjoyed to see that Thousand Sons (along with Death Guard) are getting their own section of army options. I would presume this means that we will be getting *Some* kind of codex, though a "Chaos compendium" type thing such as with AOS getting a huge battletome for the entire faction would also be welcome. either or.

I would hope that the various battletomes will be like Daemonkin and include the "Daemon" stuff as well (assuming that the Tzeentch and Khorne battletome books are anything to go by!)

Although pure speculation on my part, it sounds like it could have a great structure for the forthcoming edition. A TOTAL codex rebalance is *literally* what everyone has been asking for to balance out the game, remove the bloat, balance the game....sounds like a win-win overall for everyone that stays for the new edition.

Hopefully, that's what we're getting. And since the tournament style points structure will be incorporated from the ground up, it will result in a much smoother transition than what happened with AoS where a points structure was kind of hammered in there afterwards.

So here's to hoping.

But yeah, I think what we'll end seeing initially for Chaos is the Daemons, Death Guard, Heretics, and Thousand Sons as our main four armies. That will be our Chaos Faction. From there, the daemons will most likely be split up amongst the four gods, and they'll probably start by making Crimson Slaughter, Night Lords, and World Eaters as specific army lists(not supplements or Codexes, but lists), with more "notables" to follow.

I'm not sure what they'll add to the Death Guard or Thousand Sons, but I imagine the reason they're being separated right off the bat is because they're "different" enough that GW either feels they encompass the entirety of Nurgle and Tzeentch Marines, or they are such a specific aspect that they're using the Heretic Astartes to show everything else.

This is just my opinion.

All I care about is that I can still use my alpha legion as alpha legion, we waited long enough for legion rules, let us keep them

Dude, if the Night Lords of all Legions are getting singled out for special mentions, it can be guaranteed there will be something for the Alpha Legion. Maybe not right off the bat, but it'll be there.

All I care about is that I can still use my alpha legion as alpha legion, we waited long enough for legion rules, let us keep them

Dude, if the Night Lords of all Legions are getting singled out for special mentions, it can be guaranteed there will be something for the Alpha Legion. Maybe not right off the bat, but it'll be there.

I'm not being salty, I'm really keen for this release, and I plan on getting the new starter set when my tax comes in, so I'll have a force ready built for the new edition, but I have a large alpha legion army, and I want to keep using it as alpha legion, I'm sure gw will have all this sorted for either day one or atleast in the first month

Hopefully, that's what we're getting. And since the tournament style points structure will be incorporated from the ground up, it will result in a much smoother transition than what happened with AoS where a points structure was kind of hammered in there afterwards.

So here's to hoping.

But yeah, I think what we'll end seeing initially for Chaos is the Daemons, Death Guard, Heretics, and Thousand Sons as our main four armies. That will be our Chaos Faction. From there, the daemons will most likely be split up amongst the four gods, and they'll probably start by making Crimson Slaughter, Night Lords, and World Eaters as specific army lists(not supplements or Codexes, but lists), with more "notables" to follow.

I'm not sure what they'll add to the Death Guard or Thousand Sons, but I imagine the reason they're being separated right off the bat is because they're "different" enough that GW either feels they encompass the entirety of Nurgle and Tzeentch Marines, or they are such a specific aspect that they're using the Heretic Astartes to show everything else.

This is just my opinion.

I doubt this. The reason Deathguard and TS have their own s cations is because they have new armies. As GW renew WE and EC they will get their own section as well. I suspect each God will have a section possibly with their own Daemonkin and of cause Legion. The undecided Legions will be the genetic Chaos Space Marines with their own rules.

We wait years for a traitor legions codex, and now are told it will be obsolete. Head, meet desk

That wasn't a Codex it was a supplement. Now we will get an actual Codex updated at the same time as every other Codex.

New 8th Ed using elements from the Traitor Legions book.

Tbh that's what I think (hope) will happen

GW will have had 8th ed in the pipeline for a while and I would suggest that Traitor Legions, Wrath of Magnus and Fall of Cadia etc will be pretty much dropped straight into 8th.

Traitor Legions becoming obsolete is a good thing. We all know it was a band aid. For years we all agreed the base costs and mechanics of Chaos needed to change. Now that's going to happen.

For me the new codex means new models. Aside from raptors and maybe Terminators the line is very difficult for me to paint. It's just too dated. I feel like I've painted a million of those dated models under different Legion rules.

I can't wait for a model change plus the idea of a possible Chaos Triumvirate series is just really exciting.

Traitor Legions becoming obsolete is a good thing. We all know it was a band aid. For years we all agreed the base costs and mechanics of Chaos needed to change. Now that's going to happen.

For me the new codex means new models. Aside from raptors and maybe Terminators the line is very difficult for me to paint. It's just too dated. I feel like I've painted a million of those dated models under different Legion rules.

I can't wait for a model change plus the idea of a possible Chaos Triumvirate series is just really exciting.

EXACTLY!  It was a stop-gap to appease till the new hotness lands. 

A total re-do is what it needed, and with the amount of money that was thrown at them.....they OBVIOUSLY took note. That and they would be pants-on-head special NOT to give the chaos what they deserve, so much money and a rabid fanbase waiting........*cough if they fix rubrics they are getting several hundred more dollars of my money...*

Just to quickly say encase anyone missed it.

Warhammer TV will be running a live Q&A tomorrow from 5.15pm (UK time).  Just if there any question or just have somthing further exsplain from the FAQ that was posted yesterday.

Prot - Yes I'm looking forward to any new models.  Right now that what holding me back from - Death Guards (soon), Black legion, Red Corsair, Night Lords & Daemonkin/World Eater.

Beyound that, just looking forward to the new rules & pretty much keep a eye on the Warhammer community page for updates during the next few weeks.

I for one am looking forward to be able to build a cool Emperor's Children list without gimping me everywhere because of high cost formations. smile.png

I heard that one before in 4th ed, and then EC lost their sonic weapons and we had an exodus of a ton of talented painters and converters.

EXACTLY! It was a stop-gap to appease till the new hotness lands.

A total re-do is what it needed, and with the amount of money that was thrown at them.....they OBVIOUSLY took note. That and they would be pants-on-head special NOT to give the chaos what they deserve, so much money and a rabid fanbase waiting........*cough if they fix rubrics they are getting several hundred more dollars of my money...*

A hard reset will let then finally change stats and stuff, maybe rubics will get back that wound they lost way back when

On the one hand, with the completely new set of rules for every faction, we might FINALLY have balance. I think the hard reset approach is a good one. Heck, my Tyranids might finally be playable again! And if the rules suck at least 7th edition will be "stable" and easy enough to modify.

On the other hand, I am worried about the potential for AoS style Squatting. I don't want my Emperor's Children unplayable. Also I wonder what this means for Forge World units/armies? Will Renegades and Heretics still be playable? Will that Chaos Achilles I'm converting be legal anymore? And what the hell am I going to do with the Anphelion Project book I bought on Saturday!?!?

Archived