FW SW Upgrades - What if they're not good?

m_r_parker

best of all despoiler style CCW arms. I spend SOOO much money buying CCW arms it's insane.

Forge World really need to get on some sets of Despoiler arms, I know they offer Despoiler Squads but I'm curious as to many of those and their standard armour of MkIV and MkIII they've sold since the plastics came round.

Offering up packs of 5/10 close combat weapons and pistols with arms would sell like mad as right now we use the ones in the 30K plastics, 40K plastics or buy the Power Weapon sets and have a load of Power Weapons which whilst are nice we don't need.

I'm excited to see what they throw up, in the mean time I'm just going to build two Grey Slayer packs as fairly basic ones, a Speaker of the Dead out of bits and some crafty conversions and Drop Pods. This'll keep me busy for a while as it's taken me about 6 weeks to assemble one Grey Slayer pack. Good job I like them rather generic.

I've been holding off on building anything for my Wolves, hoping for FW to amaze me.

I may build two basic Grey Slayer packs just to roll dice, and say that they are new packs and haven't the time to modify their armor like their longer serving brothers...so I can splurge when the Grey Slayers finally get released

I've had luck stocking up on 3rd company bits, and can personally recommend Pop Goes the Monkey for shoulder pads, Kromlech for legs, Blackdagger Games fornbits and weapons and KFStudios for heads and pelts.

Spellcrow is a popular source as well, though I haven't used them yet

There's a billion third party companies making great upgrade kits for Wolves or Nordic / Celtic Marines. Literally any aftermarket site I go on has at least a few bits. If that doesn't work, many of the other Legion upgrade kits are generic and can fit the bill just the same. Kieran listed many of them as well. Wolves players will be fine.

I will point out just because 3rd party companies exist, it doesn't mean I don't want FW lovin'

The argument of "you have 3rd company models so shouldn't complain" slightly bothers me as everybody has 3rd compnany models and bits. I simply listed those I use to show that I'm aware of both ends of the spectrum. (Also, many of the 3rd company bits end up costing more than FW when itsnfinally all put together)

There's a billion third party companies making great upgrade kits for Wolves or Nordic / Celtic Marines. Literally any aftermarket site I go on has at least a few bits. If that doesn't work, many of the other Legion upgrade kits are generic and can fit the bill just the same. Kieran listed many of them as well. Wolves players will be fine.

I agree we are very very lucky. we have TONSSSS of 3rd party vehicle upgrades as well. Plus i think FW truly knocked it out of the park with the torsos and dreads, box and contemptor, so i am just that much more excited for more FW....but mostly those damn CCW arms

And.... yes please

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy123/wareagle411/B8A246F3-64F3-4AF0-96F3-BFC6B068BA44_zpshtpuyne7.jpg

I will point out just because 3rd party companies exist, it doesn't mean I don't want FW lovin'

The argument of "you have 3rd company models so shouldn't complain" slightly bothers me as everybody has 3rd compnany models and bits. I simply listed those I use to show that I'm aware of both ends of the spectrum. (Also, many of the 3rd company bits end up costing more than FW when itsnfinally all put together)

The point is though that hairy barbarian marines are several times better supported with 3rd party bits than dragonscale marines, vampire marines or even roman marines. That doesn't mean 'shut up and sit down' but it does mean that even if the FW models are not to anyone's individual liking, odds are there's something out there.

I too am looking forward to the FW stuff - particularly the leather masks, have yet to see any suitable 3rd party parts - but I know I'll always have more recourse to other options than a TS player if I don't care for what comes out.

Dislike that humans are comparative by nature. Two things can be bad at the same time. The world would be a better place full stop if people could just accept that other people are hurting/disappointed/anxious just like you are.

Yes I'm disappointed that there are 3 full legions without legion units, and 3 primarchs with rules and no models. I'm also at the same disappointed in the quality of product FW choose to produce and release with Inferno.

Too be honest FW has really missed the boat with me. I'm building my legion with the best of materials I have available now. I don't really have any plans to build and paint the elite legion units since the rules leave me feeling dead inside anyway.

If the models are really cool I may buy one of each for the collector in me. But I don't feel an overwhelming need to wait. I've waited quite long enough to play my favourite legion having stopped my bus at a few legions before.

Both roman and vampire marines have some great 3rd party kits

KFStudios vampire line almost convinced me to start a Night Lord army...again

KFStudios' Wolf, Vampire and *coughnotEmperor'sChildrencough* lines are gorgeous, and I can't recommend them more. And with more to come in the near future I can't wait to see people on here actually buying from them. ^^

Nothing will please Space Wolves fans. All the mods know this and are prepared for it.

It's a reputation Space Wolves players have earned for themselves, and I'd be more mindful of calling me out for something you don't have all the facts on. Numerous times I have told pissed off SW players that they can be upset and discuss it, but I will not tolerate walleyed bitch fits. And that goes for anything, really, but the simple fact remains that the moderation team in the AoD has had more trouble with Space Wolves players and threads than anything else. Anytime something new is prepared to drop for that particular Legion, we brace for impact and run out the fire hoses, not from a dismissive attitude or trying to belittle those frater or whatever make-believe oppression you think exists here, but from experience.

To lead with the dismissive, belittling attitude you chose undermines this argument.

Yes some of us get out of hand, however fanning the flames before there's even an issue raises that likelihood considerably. The same message could have been conveyed without antagonism by simply saying "keep it calm and stay on topic the mods will be watching." Instead you posted an inflammatory statement, thereby setting the stage for aggressive negative responses.

Both roman and vampire marines have some great 3rd party kits

KFStudios vampire line almost convinced me to start a Night Lord army...again

KFStudios' Wolf, Vampire and *coughnotEmperor'sChildrencough* lines are gorgeous, and I can't recommend them more. And with more to come in the near future I can't wait to see people on here actually buying from them. ^^

I have probably spent just as much from KF as i have FW. Amazing sculpts and even better quality

Nothing will please Space Wolves fans. All the mods know this and are prepared for it.

It's a reputation Space Wolves players have earned for themselves, and I'd be more mindful of calling me out for something you don't have all the facts on. Numerous times I have told pissed off SW players that they can be upset and discuss it, but I will not tolerate walleyed bitch fits. And that goes for anything, really, but the simple fact remains that the moderation team in the AoD has had more trouble with Space Wolves players and threads than anything else. Anytime something new is prepared to drop for that particular Legion, we brace for impact and run out the fire hoses, not from a dismissive attitude or trying to belittle those frater or whatever make-believe oppression you think exists here, but from experience.

To lead with the dismissive, belittling attitude you chose undermines this argument.

Yes some of us get out of hand, however fanning the flames before there's even an issue raises that likelihood considerably. The same message could have been conveyed without antagonism by simply saying "keep it calm and stay on topic the mods will be watching." Instead you posted an inflammatory statement, thereby setting the stage for aggressive negative responses.

All of that Ignores that having a strong negative opinion or being excessively salty isn't a violation of the board rules...

Recognise your failings and be sure to correct them? No? Ever onwards then :p

However joining the side of "what there already is, is good" I don't think FW will disappoint with upcoming wolf kits, having dialled down the wolfiness helps and will probably find the FW kits being integrated into the 40k wolves.

the fact that their are a lot of great 3rd party options raises my expectations for Forgeworld. That's just how the landscape is: i want to buy the actual product and I expect it to be great compared to the counterfeit merchandise.

That's the other side of the conversation... What if FW's upgrades are better than the 3rd party offering? Without knowing what's coming, we're frozen in indecision. smile.png

Despite what our esteemed moderator says, the Inferno release is not the past. It's delayed release is only reminiscent of the amount of time before our 3rd Edition codex was finally updated and then with no TWC release. Not to mention that with that codex release, every 13th Co army built from the Eye of Terror codex was immediately illegal.

So I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a solid delivery on what amounts to our only COMPULSORY troop choice without having to raid a 40k bits bin while at the same time the designers of the HH era VIth have been pretty explicit in directing the image away from the 40k Wolves to more 30k Vikings.

The only 3rd market item I am interested in might be some fur cloaks I have seen floating around. The wolf skull helms I have seen for Deathsworn look pretty dopey to me so will have to wait to see what FW produces. Some interest in weapons I have seen but only with specific ones, not enough to buy the pack that will have me basically not using the rest.

So, Calth and Prospero figures will sit on the sprues until I see what FW finally produces. I don't want to build models and then throw on an item as an afterthought when the accessories do release. That just makes for bad model planning as you end up dealing with things hair flowing in opposite direction of cloaks or hanging talismans not flowing with direction model appears to be moving. Best to wait and see and plan accordingly.

Not to poke the bear, but as a Night Lord modeller, if I want dead bits/flayed skin/severed heads, I HAVE to go to a multitude of other kits to get what I want or find a way to make/model what I need. At the very least wolves players have access to stuff that is readily available in one other box (technically it's two boxes coz terminator cloak, but you understand)/that really nice sword from the upgrade sprue.

It's got to stop. Everyone has to wait for something, feel bad for the scars players who aren't seeing Jaghatai for another 2 years at the least (guessing as magnus/lion/sangy/dorn/alpharius really should be due next and it's two primarchs a year at most), however I've seen some fab scars blogs and yes they got helmets, but wolves players, you have a primarch with wolves, 3 unique units, 2 unique dudes (one of which we have in plastic) and a full ruleset (which yes needs faq'ing but as you've seen previous it does happen)

You'll get your stuff, it's gonna be good. To quote rick and morty:

Well then get your :cuss together. Get it all together and put it in a backpack, all your :cuss, so it's together. ...and if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere ya know? Take it to the :cuss store and sell it, or put it in a :cuss museum. I don't care what you do, you just gotta get it together... Get your :cuss together.

Meant in the lightest possible way, but come on guys, you got this, there's already some incredible wolves that were painted and built way before inferno, we're a resourceful bunch!

I'm sure FW will release them just as quickly as they did siege tyrants and warsmiths!

That made me chuckle.

I hope the models follow the extremely limited wip material they have shown, as it is pretty cool.

I have used IF, AL & IW helms so far and am justifying my bare bones models as being a bit more "professional" and stowing the jewels pelts etc which are worn for ceremonial duties only. And I also like what Apologist has done with his awesome marines. AndDimdims creative use of Salamander bits

I refuse to make many more infantry as I do  not want to have to duplicate models if already done and I do not want what I have done to clash with anything that I may purchase in the future. While the third party stuff is awesome I also have issues using it as besides my mates house, the only other outlet for a rare foray into gaming is a GW store. Someday I would like to take my army to WHW and not have it refused entry due to using 3rd party bits.

I hope the kits will be decent, but I have reservations.

I actually hate the SW contemptor... He looks 40K with the hanging stuff (ie he looks like he strolled through a Jarls private collection dipped in superglue, so everything stuck to him). The jewel in the centre of the forehead and targetting reticule look dumb and clutter up the spectacled helm, and the blocky designs all over the legs totally take away for any chance at customisation or variation without some severe dremelling, compared to the T-Son dreads it is a clunky mess.

However beyond the dread, we cannot really speculate on anything which has not been leaked or previewed, so pitchforks need to be stowed and torches doused.... For now :p 

I'm a slightly disappointed SW player. The kits we've had released and previewed so far look amazing but I thought given the heavy need for Grey Slayers in our lists it would have been a priority release alongside Inferno. I'm also disappointed at the volume of issues within Inferno and the lack of clarity of many rules. As long as FW FAQs Inferno it's not an issue but we all know how long their FAQs can take.

40k has an abundance of bits players can use on 30k models to upgrade them but I've got a 25,000 point 40k SW army and I've already used all of those bits many many times on my 40k force.

I've made the decision that my 30k army will be unique and not use any 40k bits and there aren't many 3rd party suppliers that I like as many are over the top or cartoonish for my tastes.

I completely realise that this is my own decision but I want to make heavy use of our FW kits. Given that currently we only have access to 5 torsos and some shoulder pads we are a little light of options.

I've now made a plan and will be making 2 units of Veterans using MkII and MkIII kits and our torsos. I'm also making some MkIII and MKIV Assault Marines and will be making very light use of pelts and upgrade pieces, in my head they're our newer recruits so haven't decorated their armour as much as Veterans or Grey Slayers.

It's not the way I wanted to build my Legion but it'll do until FW release the rest of our kits and I'll pick them up as they drop.

I do want to say that I'm very shocked and concerned at the inflamitory language of some posters and a Mod no less.

I'm tired of seeing posts that say all SW players do this or act like this or are whiney %*#^. It's not true and it's just not acceptable. If individual SW players are causing problems deal with them as individuals, making general statements slamming all SW players is a terrible approach and will cause more issues than it fixes.

Archived