FW SW Upgrades - What if they're not good?

m_r_parker

I do want to say that I'm very shocked and concerned at the inflamitory language of some posters and a Mod no less.

I'm tired of seeing posts that say all SW players do this or act like this or are whiney %*#^. It's not true and it's just not acceptable. If individual SW players are causing problems deal with them as individuals, making general statements slamming all SW players is a terrible approach and will cause more issues than it fixes.

Mods are supposed to steer threads back into calm waters, not wind up every Space Wolf player by making comments like that. Now if I said all Black Templar players are whingy airbags because they dont have rules in Shadow War Armageddon or Ultra Marine players are entitled snowflakes no doubt the Mods would be pulling me up for my behaviour. 

Not like I actually think these things about Templar or Ultra players, I'm just making a point. But based on what I have seen on the internet in general going by the complaints of a vocal minority then obviously the whole player base must be? Does that give us the right to insult other people in the hobby? Or can mods do it because they are above the law?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I'm certain BCK and the mod team have good reason to be weary around topics like this, and give warnings of the sort at the beginning of this thread. Mind, as the frater, oftentimes I don't think we notice a lot of what the mods pay attention to as time goes by. We may certainly see it every so often and occasionally note that it toes the edge of the rules, but the mods take notes and I think see trends a lot better than we do, besides being the ones to actually see the deleted stuff that goes way beyond the remit of the B&C's policies. They have a very good grasp of the situation, and one that the main body of the frater are sadly not able to share. BCK's statement isn't made in a vacuum. It's one based on experience handling this particular subforum, and mind, this is one of the most active ones on the B&C, so that's quite a bit. I don't claim to know him real well, but I think I know his posting well enough that I doubt he has any personal vendetta against VI Legion players or any intent to be inflammatory. That's just my opinion, though, and as a non-mod, I can't claim to have a full grasp of the situation. But I think we should cut some slack. We can't know everything, and if a mod is giving warnings in a somewhat official capacity, that never happens without sufficient reason. Good think to keep in mind.

All that being said, this thread has gotten very off-topic - hell, we've been discussing this for the better part of two pages - and I'm sure it'll get Exterminatus'd soon enough. In any event, to answer the original question posited in this thread, if the upgrades aren't to everyone's liking (which they most certainly won't be), we'll do what we always do: whine for a little bit, be a bit bitter, and then move on and kitbash things up. These boards are full of many extremely talented individuals, and I have no doubt that viable alternatives will be found.

If the FW upgrades are no good I'm sure we can turn to the ample spare bits that most of the GW kits are blessed with. 

The VIth objectively got less shineys than the other armies in the same release (apparently saying so makes us the worst sort of folks)...but we do have our primarch, and while I think I hold the minority opinion here, I think the dread looks terrific.

If the FW upgrades are no good I'm sure we can turn to the ample spare bits that most of the GW kits are blessed with. 

The VIth objectively got less shineys than the other armies in the same release (apparently saying so makes us the worst sort of folks)...but we do have our primarch, and while I think I hold the minority opinion here, I think the dread looks terrific.

i like the dread too

The only thing that I'm worried about are the bare heads. So far I haven't been a fan of many of the resin bare heads that FW has released. There are some that I like (eg. Eidolon, Khârn and Sevetar) but I find the majority are of a lower standard than the plastic GW heads. That's why I used a plastic Betrayal at Calth head on my Armillus Dynat mini. 

Also, I suspect that FW will tone down some of the VIth Legion's (their 40k version at least) more outlandish hairstyles, which I would welcome. 

Fingers crossed that all of the SW releases look amazing :tu:

The only thing that I'm worried about are the bare heads. So far I haven't been a fan of many of the resin bare heads that FW has released. There are some that I like (eg. Eidolon, Khârn and Sevetar) but I find the majority are of a lower standard than the plastic GW heads. That's why I used a plastic Betrayal at Calth head on my Armillus Dynat mini.

Also, I suspect that FW will tone down some of the VIth Legion's (their 40k version at least) more outlandish hairstyles, which I would welcome.

Fingers crossed that all of the SW releases look amazing thumbsup.gif

Don't forget they will also make the wierd leather masks that are described in all the books.

Don't forget they will also make the wierd leather masks that are described in all the books.

Yeah, I'm very sceptical that the leather masks will look good... Hopefully I completely wrong, but ever since I read about them in Prospero Burns back in the day I haven't been a fan of the idea.

Fingers crossed that FW proves me wrong :)

Yeah, I'm very sceptical that the leather masks will look good... Hopefully I completely wrong, but ever since I read about them in Prospero Burns back in the day I haven't been a fan of the idea.

Fingers crossed that FW proves me wrong :)

I'm hoping the shields are cool. Ive made and cast my own hand axes for my fists I can use with the wolves that will pair really well with the Nordic round style shields.

With some time to reflect, I realize I could have worded some things in here a little better and I regret that it ended up coming across so flame bait-y. I didn't mean to lump all Space Wolves players into the vocal minority that have made things difficult for the rest of you.

I haven't been around much the last several weeks due to some real life issues, mainly a new job, kicking my butt on an almost daily basis. I do not, and have never had any sort of vendetta against a certain faction or group of players in here regardless of what some of you may believe. I want the AoD to run smoothly and anything that disturbs that calm draws my attention so please, let's try not to get so burned up about every little thing that's not exactly perfect no matter what Legion you play. It's a game and setting we all love or else we wouldn't spend so much time, effort, and money on it so let's try to enjoy it.

Fingers crossed that FW proves me wrong smile.png

I think the biggest hurdle with the masks is that it wasn't something already established and represented either in artwork or figures so everyone will have a different idea of how they should look in their mind's eye and a situation like that can often lead to disappointment on a large scale. I too hope FW comes through on those because it was one of my favorite new things about the VI.

With some time to reflect, I realize I could have worded some things in here a little better and I regret that it ended up coming across so flame bait-y. I didn't mean to lump all Space Wolves players into the vocal minority that have made things difficult for the rest of you.

Thank you for having the guts to say this, it's not an easy thing to do (trust me I've put my own foot in my mouth a fair few times). For what it's worth I didn't take it as an intentional slight, just perhaps an error of judgement. I still hold respect for you as a fellow member of this board and as a moderator.

I hope your life stabilises itself soon.

And with that back to the topic at hand. I think we'll be fine with the bits, I love the torsos we've got so I think this is a good indicator.

Personally for me, I prefer plainer Marines with basics like additional ammo and combat blades over "bling" but this is my opinion and vision for my VIth.

Fingers crossed that FW proves me wrong smile.png

I think the biggest hurdle with the masks is that it wasn't something already established and represented either in artwork or figures so everyone will have a different idea of how they should look in their mind's eye and a situation like that can often lead to disappointment on a large scale. I too hope FW comes through on those because it was one of my favorite new things about the VI.

It's tricky. The only hint we have comes from Mark Bedford's sketch, which may or may not bear any resemblance to what winds up on the models. The ears are... a bit too Christopher Nolan Batman but apart from that it's a good look, I think.

It's tricky too to figure out exactly what Abnett was sourcing when he developed it in Prospero Burns. There's no real norse antecedent I can think of but I get the impression that it might be like a shaman's mask, with ritual significance for dealing with maleficarum. Like the Fenrisian warriors at the start of the book: "you made sure the gothi marked your face in soot-glue with good cast-out marks like the sun-disk and the warding eye before you opened out your sails" but in leather. Not sure I'd sprinkle them throughout a force but specifically for destroyers or a particular squad? Definitely.

Also check out the Nathan Explosion looking guy in the top right! Greasy Scandinavian metalhead is a viable and tragically underrepresented look for the VI legion.smile.png

15873080_312095265853287_108950269485598

Seriously, just use KFStudio's stuff whilst you're waiting for ForgeWorld.

I have multiples of their sets, including the recently released set 2 of Viking heads

They have an eBay store, orders through Fb and can sometimes be found elsewhere.

Don't let their suggested arrival timenscare you off, I've never waited for longer than 2 weeks

If it sounds like I'm trying to pimp them, I apologize.

I just REALLY like their products and service

Thing is not everybody wants to use 3rd party bits. Not sure if they are like it everywhere but Ive met a fair few GW managers who wont allow non GW bits in store and not everybody has a indie games store or club near by. So saying 'just use x companys bits' isnt gonna fix everything.

Thing is not everybody wants to use 3rd party bits. Not sure if they are like it everywhere but Ive met a fair few GW managers who wont allow non GW bits in store and not everybody has a indie games store or club near by. So saying 'just use x companys bits' isnt gonna fix everything.

I fully understand that, which is why I'm somewhat vocal about my desire to have FW release the kit for the only mandatory Wolf unit choice, and soon.

I'm the guy who once went off about FW releasing more mechanicum and knight pieces than Marine pieces in this setting.

Patience is needed on both ends, because at the end of the day we all love our hobby

15873080_312095265853287_108950269485598

Seriously, just use KFStudio's stuff whilst you're waiting for ForgeWorld.

I have multiples of their sets, including the recently released set 2 of Viking heads

They have an eBay store, orders through Fb and can sometimes be found elsewhere.

Don't let their suggested arrival timenscare you off, I've never waited for longer than 2 weeks

If it sounds like I'm trying to pimp them, I apologize.

I just REALLY like their products and service

Oh man i haven't seen those heads yet are they new?

I'm a slightly disappointed SW player. The kits we've had released and previewed so far look amazing but I thought given the heavy need for Grey Slayers in our lists it would have been a priority release alongside Inferno. I'm also disappointed at the volume of issues within Inferno and the lack of clarity of many rules. As long as FW FAQs Inferno it's not an issue but we all know how long their FAQs can take.

40k has an abundance of bits players can use on 30k models to upgrade them but I've got a 25,000 point 40k SW army and I've already used all of those bits many many times on my 40k force.

I've made the decision that my 30k army will be unique and not use any 40k bits and there aren't many 3rd party suppliers that I like as many are over the top or cartoonish for my tastes.

I completely realise that this is my own decision but I want to make heavy use of our FW kits. Given that currently we only have access to 5 torsos and some shoulder pads we are a little light of options.

I've now made a plan and will be making 2 units of Veterans using MkII and MkIII kits and our torsos. I'm also making some MkIII and MKIV Assault Marines and will be making very light use of pelts and upgrade pieces, in my head they're our newer recruits so haven't decorated their armour as much as Veterans or Grey Slayers.

It's not the way I wanted to build my Legion but it'll do until FW release the rest of our kits and I'll pick them up as they drop.

I do want to say that I'm very shocked and concerned at the inflamitory language of some posters and a Mod no less.

I'm tired of seeing posts that say all SW players do this or act like this or are whiney %*#^. It's not true and it's just not acceptable. If individual SW players are causing problems deal with them as individuals, making general statements slamming all SW players is a terrible approach and will cause more issues than it fixes.

I was thinking the same thing with the Veterans and our torsos, but we only have 5 so I was hoping that we might have had some VIth themed legs. That way I have some guys with bottoms and some guys with tops as a mix to represent because I don't plan on running a 5 man Veteran squad.

For weapons I have a vast horde of Warriors of Chaos weapons from my 15 years of playing them in WHFB. So I mostly use those, and they seem to be appropriately spartan, and to the correct scale. I find the Dwarves range to be a little "showy" for how I invision SW, similarly its how I feel about 99% of 3rd party bits, and the 40k stuff. 

Archived