SW1's - Scenery & Necromunda Blog

SW1

Lol, when thinking about how to make piping, it never occured to me to us actual piping. Great stuff!

I spent a shed load on Evergreen tubing to make Basilisk barrels a while ago (they have exactly the right diameter telescoping tubing to match the models) and considered doing that again. My wallet refused to be plundered that much again!!!

So I've been buying lots of different straws so I have a big variety of thicknesses. The only issue it I find bendy straws don't look right and couldn't find a way of bending them without deforming the straw. The the Poundshop came to my rescue with the straw connectors which I really hope will paint up. The reminded me of pipe fittings and a trip to B&Q found the 12mm pipe and connectors which work out cheaper than the GWS stuff by a long way!!!

If I can find more pipe with a diameter in between the water pipe and the straws I'll be a very happy chappy.

Some really great ideas here, the fungus cavern is officially stolen, and I love where that pipework is going.

Lol ... Feel free to use any ideas, I'd be interested to see how you would give it a go. :tu:

I was meant to be doing a train layout for my dad once he moves and gets a dedicated train room. But that seems to be on the back burner. So I've got a load of train scenery.

It's the wrong scale to start off with but stretching out footbridges with spacers can get you a nice bridge and two free standing stairs from a £6.50 kit.

A big arsed bridge kit coming in at £8.50 when you build the sides and leave the rest of the bits in your bits boxes will give you two metal framework floor supports that are each 13" long.

Then there's a few other kits I'm a bit unsure of at the moment.

Pics will follow soon. ;)

Kids are hogging the laptop so not able to post pics. However I've managed to have a play with a platform canopy. The roof minus the girder supports will now make a roof for some form of building and the girders will go into construction of something else. There's 5 A frames in the kit that I can probably split up and make more pitched roofs.

It's actually a lot of fun upscaling kits from about 10mm or smaller to 28mm.

And a few random scatter terrain bits that I'm not 100% sure what they count as other than good line of sight blockers once painted up. Maybe some form of air scrubber?

gallery_25187_13692_523517.jpg

The shape reminds me of xenomorph eggs, from Ridley Scott's film 'Alien' and its sequels. Maybe use them as a Tyranid construct?

And a few random scatter terrain bits that I'm not 100% sure what they count as other than good line of sight blockers once painted up. Maybe some form of air scrubber?gallery_25187_13692_523517.jpg

The shape reminds me of xenomorph eggs, from Ridley Scott's film 'Alien' and its sequels. Maybe use them as a Tyranid construct?

If they were a bit smaller I'd add them to the flora and fauna I'm going to be including in the project.

It's finally time for me to post a few pics before the kids get the laptop again.

Here's the train buildings I'll be chopping up and bulking up ...

gallery_25187_13692_351399.jpg

gallery_25187_13692_165617.jpg

First under the knife is a tiny footbridge which wouldn't even fit a 25mm base on it. The biggest issue was ensuring the spacers used are all the same length. An old stash of match sticks came to the rescue. The main part of the bridge has been spaced out and a trial for steps has started. The smaller steps will either lead up to a lot more rickety bridge or act as access stairs for an as of yet building ...

gallery_25187_13692_270673.jpg

The big train bridge's are a bit too much. So I'm likely to assemble all of the sides like below and then try making them into floor supports ...

gallery_25187_13692_155295.jpg

I had a single platform cover kit which could look rather funky if you used the clear plastic panels to show the iron work details under the roof. But I've blocked out the space the clear sheeting was meant to go and I think the texture of the insert will make it look more in scale. I'm thinking that it might make a nice roof for a Doc's or something similar. The iron work stuff won't be waisted being hidden under the roof. Instead something a bit more open will be made with it. The two A-Frames left out will help make another roof ...

gallery_25187_13692_114859.jpg

From part building the kits there are quite a few bits leftover so will be able to mix them up with the GWS kits. :devil:

Been struggling to get a a working idea for the Spore Cave. I was going to send some Ikea shelves to the charity shop and thenit hit me. They're made out of hard plastic and are a perfect 90 deg. Hmmm ... This can only mean one thing. Scenery for Table Corners!!!

Lol ... My previous post was a bit cryptic and I think a picture can explain the idea much better. This is bluetac'd together a bit rough and ready but you get the idea ...

gallery_25187_13692_166401.jpg

Not exactly sure how to do the floor but I'll work it out. I think slime dripping down the wall and pooling will give you enough of a visual explanation for the big growth of mushrooms.

Then slapping a few pipes, railway bits and the obligatory Pringles Tube gives us ...

gallery_25187_13692_167602.jpg

If you place two together then it doesn't get limited to a corner. :)

Do you think it will work?

@Naryn - I've got 3 of the kids bookshelves to use. So I'll likely have one for the Spore Cave/Grove and the other two will be more like the other one.

@Bjorn - lol ... now that you mention it that does look a bit Missile like. Maybe it's a left over relic just waiting to topple over and go kaboom!!! :devil:

Now that I've got past the concept stage I need to buy some more glue so I can get it assembled. :p

Hmmm ... I don't need to measure the different terrain types.

What's the height discrepancy between the three sets of terrain you're using?

The new stuff is 126mm including the walkways, the CoD stuff is 80mm and the Necromunda stuff is 70mm.
Lol ... How can I forget I'd already measured it?

Must be getting old.

Just before the tribe headed out for the school run I showed the lads the pics of the shelving changed to corner pieces. They want to go to Ikea to buy a few more.

Lol ... Think the 3 pieces will be challenging enough to store.

@Bjorn - lol ... now that you mention it that does look a bit Missile like. Maybe it's a left over relic just waiting to topple over and go kaboom!!! :devil:

http://www.dvdclassik.com/upload/images/critique-le-secret-de-la-planete-des-singes-post24.jpg

"Give your bodies to Atom, my friends. Release yourself to his power, feel his Glow and be Divided."

I've been playing around with ideas on making the spore cave/grove visually work. And also trying to work out how I'm going to get the boards to be playable. Currently I've been messing around with baseboards at 2'x2' but the kitchen table isn't quite wide enough for them to be stable. So instead I think the existing boards will become canvas to practice airbrushing on when I get the courage to give it another go.

Instead I'll give some 2'x4' (600mm x 1200mm actually) boards a whirl. They should be much more stable straddling the table. One side will be the stippled brown/green and the other greyish.

This morning was spent rummaging through my boxes of bits with my youngest kid looking for something to make into a farm house for her farm toys. The mission was accomplished and terrain building skills will be applied to the box we found.

However I also realised how I was going to go about making some of the terrain was just adding extra work. Lots of packaging tends to be flimsy but certain items like mobile phones and Hotel Chocolate Easter Eggs have much more robust card packaging. I've tried standing on a few and they take my weight! So rather than trying to construct the basic shapes out of foam board I'll just use these pre-made alternatives where I can. :D

I was just in a conversation about board size for tables in a large Fb group the other day, the ol' 2x4 slabs are the most reliable for fitting and not bumping terribly. Never thought of it until trying to play a game using my 1x1 tiles on our table; if I ever want to play the whole 4x4 square I'll have to get panels to go underneath.

To offset my subtle dismay I'll be lightly flocking one side of those panels so they can be used upside down (with a table cloth underlay) as supports for the 1x1 tiles or right side up as a flat table (with a third panel to make 6x4).

My brother was over for most of yesterday. I finally got over my aversion of spraying and cracked out the car primers. We've been slowly trying to recover the GS Cult models he tried to assemble from the Overkill boxed game quite a while ago. They got blasted with a grey primer not going to go into much detail on this thread as it's dirty Xenos. Think I may end up doing a separate blog about my brothers stuff.

So while I had the tins out I sprayed the scenery I've already assembled. Cover was good on even on the rubber drinking straw connectors. So that gives the green light for some smaller piping to be added. Spraying was really just a test to see if paint will stick to the mix of materials I'm using. :devil:

I still need to texture the signage before painting can properly start. I'm thinking some small sections of granny grating will be glued down on certain spots to give a bit more interest and some mini I-beam may also be added with very small pipe (the little plastic tubing from ear buds or kids lollys). Then instead of my usual 'grit and PVA' I may instead try some patching plaster with PVA and a small amount of grit mixed in. I'll need to do some testing first.

We also played around with the different scenery bits from the SWA box and there's likely to be two watch towers made just out of that kit. Then there will be a big water tank using the remaining legs. I just need to find the right tank to make it look right. The metal pipe fittings seem to fit into the pipe openings in the kit so I'll be using water pipe and metal fixings to bulk out the kit.

Will post some pics when I get home from work tonight (on a crappy 14hr shift). :(

So the bridge got finished with granny grating ...

gallery_25187_13692_350738.jpg

And has now been sprayed ...

gallery_25187_13692_103610.jpg

Really happy with how it's looking so likely to try picking up a few extra.

The Chem Pit test with the bright pink pipe connectors worked better than expected ...

gallery_25187_13692_358778.jpg

Not sure what to class these things as? Maybe air purifiers/scrubbers ...

gallery_25187_13692_155250.jpg

Watch Towers I think look ok and won't need converting up ...

gallery_25187_13692_253645.jpg

Think this will end up being the Doc's place ...

gallery_25187_13692_52693.jpg

What is this "granny grating"? It looks an awful lot like something I recognize but that name has me laughing to hard to concentrate my thoughts :lol:

Great looking stuff, all around.

I'm going to test basing with one of the air scrubbers and the chem pit. So to get rid of the flat surface area I've slapped on some wall filler. I've also snipped up some off cuts of the granny grating and embedded them into the filler.

Next I think there will be sand and other bits glued on top.

Will take some more pics once the sand is on.

Archived