Reader's Notes

simison

Finished Path of the Seer. I misunderstood the war-mask and seer dynamic. It's the Avatar of Khaine that screws around with a seer's ability to maintain focus. A seer who doesn't have a war-mask will not march to war, so it's still a vital part of a warrior's arsenal. 

I'm still mildly interested that these Path books have Eldar main characters becoming Farseers and Phoenix Lords over the span of a couple of months. This, when the Eldar are supposed to live for centuries on end. 

Two interesting moments stand out to me. First, there's a moment where we see bonesingers in action. Wraithbone is created by literal singing which transforms raw psychic energy into physical matter. The best I can describe is that it's crystallizing God's breath. Second, the Infinity Circuits are actually connected to the Webway, which is referred to the Eternity Matrix. All Craftworlds are technically connected through the Webway on the psychic level. Farseers and seers can literally travel on these circuit routes on the Webway while leaving their bodies back at the Craftworld. Granted, it can be incredibly dangerous because daemons can attack at the weak spots. 

It makes the Imperium's efforts to take over the Webway kind of absurd. No matter how much tech the Mechanicum moves into the Webway, it fundamentally misunderstands how to actually use the Webway. It's like wrapping a Nintendo system on top of a Alienware PC with a rope. Sure, it still works, but neither system are gaining anything from the combination. 

On that note, there are a couple of interactions between the Farseer main character and a Space Marine Librarian. I'm not sure how useful it is since the source can be potentially biased. 

EDIT: Oh, before I forget. Eldar seers have trouble predicting humanity (not Astartes) because each human has the potential for great heroism or great cowardice. And what triggers either can be down to random luck. I found that amusing and think human diviners might have an advantage here since they're used to that level of uncertainty. 

Edited by simison

Managed to read another couple of pages of the Khan’s novel. I find it ironic that it is the Khan’s distance that keeps him more grounded.

Apparently, the early Fifth was called the Star Hunters, and we’re famed for their lightning mech assaults.

Apparently, the early Fifth was called the Star Hunters, and we’re famed for their lightning mech assaults.

Hmm, I swear I saw a Legion profile thingy that stated their prior cognomen was the Sons of Thule, so which is true?

You're right, Sangi.

There was an official pic of FW depicting their strategic tendencies, etc. There, their prior cognomen was indeed the Sons of Thule.

Why that was changed, I don't know.

Sim, enjoy it. It fits perfectly into the wider WS arc and the bits about the Sons of Horus and Blood Angels are superb, as well. Imho, the best and interesting depictions of BAs I've read thus far.

Keep in mind that this Primarch novel is more about librarians and the foundation of the librarium than about the Warhawk himself. Yes, he's one of the protagonists (what a surprise) but it is more focused on his sons.

*edit*

Finished Corax a couple of days ago. Entertaining read. Beware of spoilers!

You got the revelation of Corax' sister, Agapito and Branne being actual brothers, which I did not know until now, a zombie virus called the Seelenphage in German. I'd translate it as Soulphage...?

This one follows Corax during the campaign of Carinae, a thousand artificial stations and moons orbiting a sun and loosely forming a state. Due to one of their lords releasing the virus, Corax goes into a ragemode and wants to punish the responsible leader with his entire (present) Legion instead of seizing the moment and conquer the remaining worlds. A clear incorrect decision. Yes, they get him but the war takes way longer than it should have.

In the end, Corax returns home, while this tragedy is hushed up. The Emperor / Imperium doesn't want the Primarchs failures to be known.

In the meantime, a small cell called "the Children of Deliverance" tried to destabilize the society on Kiavahr, which is still ruled by the ruthless guilds + the AdMech.

Don't want to spoil that much but at the very end, Corax has a very good dialogue with a former comrade just like Perturabo had one with his sister. Haley seems to love this reflective, yet sometimes heated, discussions in which the Primarchs are confronted with the flaws of their very own philosophy. Perturabo's being paranoia and Corax' being abandoning his ideals for the sake of the greater good.

Another interesting things

- the sablebrand and its impact on Corax' sons.

- the cameo of Kaedes Nex - imho, he could've been a cool side character in this story

- the seemingly overuse of shadow. Shadowlords, Shadowguards, a lot of shadow references or fading into the darkness, etc. Yes, this is about a Legion and its Primarch, who fight in the shadow. Nonetheless, it feels a bit like Wolfy Mc Wolfenson on his Wolf-wolf.

Edited by Kelborn

Shadowlord (Mor Deythan)

Shadowguard (bodyguards of Corax)

Shadowhunter? <- have to look this up again, currently not at home; basically the Moritat but they had another name for them previously

Those are the three I'm remembering.

Then you got all the "he faded into the shadows", they walked unseen, their ships are in a stealth mode, etc. etc.

What I forgot to mention, not only can Corax become invisible right in front of you, but his Shadowlords, as well. Not only at the edge of your perception but they can literally stand right in front of you and you would not see them. This changed, when the population turned into zombie mode as their brains could not be tricked anymore.

Edited by Kelborn

Regarding the prior cognomen of the scars, according to the weekender the V Legion had a number of "pioneer companies" that each had their own names and heraldry, prior to becoming scars. Also, there's no reason a legion couldn't have had multiple cognomen at different times (though the star hunters seem to be specifically Called out as a pioneer company)

Regarding the prior cognomen of the scars, according to the weekender the V Legion had a number of "pioneer companies" that each had their own names and heraldry, prior to becoming scars. Also, there's no reason a legion couldn't have had multiple cognomen at different times (though the star hunters seem to be specifically Called out as a pioneer company)

Just like our pre Primarch Void Eagles and Predators. Stop spying, FW! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Conquest.

No real point in listing battles found in Knight Titan banners since those probably still happened in canon and BotL.

And my earlier guess still holds up. No bonuses are ever given to leveling an entire unit as opposed a character. There might be opportunity here for our own homebrew rules.

EDIT 1: Rogue Trader Hel DeAniasie discovered Paramar in 803.M30 and is a potential Rogue Trader for Obscurus.

Edited by simison

• 1 month later...

I've almost finished Khan's novel

• Khan is at his most interesting when he's forced to interact with someone outside his legion

• Also, the Librarius seems to predate him. Not sure if it's an invention of Magnus or Sanguinius

• Magnus is also an exasperating idiot

• The first version of the Librarius existed before 900.M30, and then when the Khan is brought on, a reformed version eventually happens.

• But nothing on the Librarius itself, which was a little disappointing. To my surprise, the lore-keeping half of the Librarius is alive and well at this stage. I thought that was a latter invention after the Scouring.

• 3 weeks later...

I've recently completed Path of Heaven

• I like how Dark Glass establishes a continuity with the Golden Throne. While the Emperor may have been leading the Great Crusade, he never forgot about his top priority and was always moving forward on it.
  • The Navigators are really a pain in more ways than one. It's bad enough that they are all too-willing to share their services with the Traitors (though understandably under threats), but these constant secret wars to ensure their supremacy are frustrating.
  • I had completely forgotten the Khan had abandoned Russ and was really confused why the Wolf King was so hostile. Oops. 
  • The death of
    Yesugei
    was heart-breaking, especially the Khan's reaction. Since he has been inducted into the Fifth Legion, I'm curious how to handle him. Granted, I can't give him a lot since he is a canon character. Off-hand, his emphasis on storm-magic will keep him out of the Order of the Mind, and he'll be like Mahtva, a powerful psyker in his own right but a little independent of others. 
  • And another Gloriana bites the dust. How many Glorianas survive to 40k?
  • I really like how they retcon the Death Guard's/Mortarion's out-of-character infatuation with warp sorcery as essentially a secret addict having cycles of purge and indulgence. It feels more natural and better sets up their eventual downfall. 
  • It's interesting to see how there are still members of the Traitor Legion fighting against Chaos corruption even this late in the game. 
  • The novel reinforces the point that the Primarchs are one-step above the greatest Daemonic servants (Bloodthirster, Keeper of Secrets, etc). But only one step above. It's still going to hurt. Throw three of them at one Primarch, and he better withdraw. 

Currently reading PoH, as well and I'm close to finish it.

The death..... I knew that it would happen but I literally cried because of it. So well executed. First time this happened to me while reading.

Regarding the Glorianas - I assume that only traitor ones and the Macragge's Honor along with the Phalanx survive.

I just can't wait for its conclusion during the Siege. It's still and will forever be one if not THE best story arc in the entire HH.

Yesugei wasn't integrated, I'm afraid. He's well into middle age when he meets Alex. I feel like we should work in a Tyrin Librarian in his place.

There's a lot of groundwork for Mortarion's fall along with the fixes... which, it seems, were summarily ignored by Swallow. Like the growing sickness in the holds, the presence of Grulgor in the flag ship's depths and the promise of Mortarion confronting Typhon for his absence.

Edited by bluntblade

Yesugei wasn't integrated, I'm afraid. He's well into middle age when he meets Alex. I feel like we should work in a Tyrin Librarian in his place.

There's a lot of groundwork for Mortarion's fall along with the fixes... which, it seems, were summarily ignored by Swallow. Like the growing sickness in the holds, the presence of Grulgor in the flag ship's depths and the promise of Mortarion confronting Typhon for his absence.

Ah, I didn't realize that. That's probably for the best then. Though, he still has great potential as a psyker. Perhaps service in the Imperial Army? It would be a really neat way to give the Army some much needed spotlight and a great character. ...though, he'll probably be dead before the Insurrection.

That does not reassure me. 

• 4 weeks later...

Mining Malevolence...

There's a series of battles listed on a single page. As tradition, I'll list them with a brief description and a suggested force.

• Ninth Battle of Xozer - Time: Unification Wars/992.M29. Location: Nordafrik Conclaves of Earth. Notes: This is way too early for any legion to be involved. I'm actually concerned because it nearly threatens a battle in the same region I've written for the Halcyon Wardens. Recommended ForceN/A
  • The Vhnori Resurgence - Time: Great Crusade, literally the year after it starts (799.M30). Location: Panpacific Enclaves. Notes: The Crimson Walkers are a psyker-wielding rebel force put down by the Night Lords. Given that knowledge... Recommended Force: Grave Stalkers

Wasn't the second one already an exemplary battle for the Night Lords? The one in which the VIIIth was tasked to bring down a city? Edited by Kelborn

Wasn't the second one already an exemplary battle for the Night Lords? The one in which the VIIIth was tasked to bring down a city?

Yes, it was. I was thinking of leaving it unmentioned though, as the GS aren't a million miles from the NL anyway.

Also I like the idea that the Thousand Sons were sent as well/instead, so it's all covered up.

Wasn't the second one already an exemplary battle for the Night Lords? The one in which the VIIIth was tasked to bring down a city?

Oops.

Yes, it was. I was thinking of leaving it unmentioned though, as the GS aren't a million miles from the NL anyway.

Also I like the idea that the Thousand Sons were sent as well/instead, so it's all covered up.

Why the Sons?

We've already given an outline of how Sedna happens, so no need to repeat that here. Though I wasn't aware that the Sedna xenos were psychic in nature. 

• The Sarosh Suppression - Time: Great Crusade, 848.M30. Location: Sarosh System. Notes: One of the antagonists from the Descent of Angels novel. Since they start out nominally accepting Compliance, it's likely the Legion to take the Dark Angels' place is not one of our 'instant-murder' Legions. Since they're Chaos rituals are kept hidden, they would not be part of the Ghost Crusade, but Icarion might happen to be assigned to Sarosh by chance or foresight. Recommended Force: Lightning Bearers, Halcyon Wardens, Morning Stars, or Shepherds of Eden.
  • The Purging ArachianaTime: Great Crusade, 858.M30. Location: Arachiana System, Segmentum Pacificus, potentially close to Colchis. Notes: "Shortly after the discovery of Lorgar, the campaign saw the newly christened Word Bearers tasked with the destruction of the Cult of the Iconoclast on Arachiana. The cult worshiped the 'One True God' described as a dark entity similar but distinct from the Emperor." Since they are tied so close to Colchis, I think I might have them be part of the Halcyon Wardens' Pacificus campaign at the end of our Great Crusade. Recommended Force: Halcyon Wardens
  • The Grael Library - Time: Great Crusade, 866.M30. Location: Riohbia System. Notes: "Ruled by a cabal of warlocks, Riohbia was known for a Grael Library of esoteric knowledge. In 866.M30 the world was targeted for Compliance by the XIXth Legion, who threatened its Library. However before they could attack, the Thousand Sons intervened and dealt with the matter themselves." Our Magnus is found a full century later, meaning no Sons will rescue the Library this time. This might be a good battle to feature one of our anti-psyker Legions. Recommended Force: Godslayers or Pariah Legion.
  • The Majind Torc Transgression - Time: Great Crusade, 881.M30. Location: Majind System. Notes: "During the Second campaign, an incident known as the Majind Torc Transgression took place when a Basemekanic Barq broke the Imperial blockade of the galactic northeast to make impact at Majind. The Death Guard was mobilized to decimate the activated Macrobeest within by unknown means. Only the quick thinking intervention of the VIth Legion prevented disaster." Looks like we have a giant, psychic war beast of some kind. Since these wars involved the North and East, the Apostles of War or the Blood Wolves could be involved. Kozja has been around for a decade, but not K'awil. Nor has Travier been discovered yet. Although, in that last case, this could be a chance to show the Eagle Warriors in their prime. Recommended Force: Blood Wolves, Apostles of War, Warbringers, XIIIth, XVth/The Wraiths, or XVIIth Legions.
  • The Defence of Tranquility - Time: Great Crusade, 903.M30. Location: Dalinite Nebula. Notes: "The Emperor's Children defended a series of ancient crystalline gates in the Dalinite Nebula against an unknown Xenos fleet which emerged from these gates, making rapid Warp translations between them. The 3rd Legion eventually overpowered the xenos and drove them back from whence they came." Without a specific location, the only suggestion is a Legion that has mastered rapid deployment. Nomus has been around for a decade at this point, and Pionus is well established. Yucahu isn't around, but the Lightning Bearers are another solid choice.  Recommended Force: Lightning Bearers, Steel Legion, Scions Hospitalier, or another rapid-deployment Legion.
  • The Mystery of Novo AndrussTime: Great Crusade, 939.M30. Location: Novo Andruss System. Notes: "Claimed during the Great Crusade, the planet rebelled against their new rulers. They were subsequently assailed by a "Ghost Legion", which used unknown psychic phenomenon to quell the uprising. Superstition was heightened among the population as a result of the attack." Lexicanum believes this Legion is the Alpha Legion. If we want to keep the answer that prosaic (and not something weirder), Grave Stalkers fit this tactic to a T, even if it is the opposite kind of psychic phenomenon. Recommended Force: The Wraiths
  • The Melkeji SalvationTime: Great Crusade, 943.M30. Location: Melkeji System. Notes: "Once a Human world, but during the Age of Strife had fallen under the control of a parasitic alien race. Unable to exist outside the body of a sentient host, these nameless creatures ruled Melkeji through a class referred to as the Ascended, beings who wore the faces of humans but ruled with a single-minded determination to maintain a large pool of future hosts. Ascended Hosts lasted little more than a year before they died, and a new host would be selected at random. So conditioned to submission was the uninfected human population of Melkeji that they worshiped the Ascended as divine beings." Again, the involvement of the Word Bearers suggests Pacificus, but there's really no guarantee of it. Recommended Force: Any Legion
  • The Screaming World - Time: Great Crusade, 954.M30. Location: Volturn System. Notes: "The Ultramarines are drawn to the world of Volturn, thought to be Compliant, by the petitioning of their Librarians, who claim to hear inhuman screaming emanating from its location. Upon investigation, the world is found to be infested by ill-definable xenos creatures. Volturn is quarantined and abandoned after all members of the landing party suffer spontaneous and fatal cerebral aneurysms within minutes of setting foot upon the damned, screaming world." Basically, a Legion takes a hit. The fact that Librarians had to be involved rules out the Godslayers and the Pariah Legions. Recommended Force: Any Legion except the Anti-Warp Legions.
  • The Defence of HelioretTime: Great Crusade, 962.M30. Location: Helioret System/Sector(?). Notes: "The insane Witch-Idol of the Eldar Craftworld of Magc'Sithraal leads a brutal campaign of raids against Helioret, perpetrating etheric outrages across the sector. The combined forces of the Blood Angels and the Ordo Sinister bring down the Witch-Idol and cast the Craftworld into the local star." I actually recommend a Pariah Legion pair up with another Legion for this kill since bodies are probably going to be needed. Recommended Force: Anti-Warp Legions with perhaps another Legion to absorb casualties.
  • The Compliance of DwellTime: Great Crusade, 977.M30. Location: Dwell System. Notes: "Brought into Compliance peacefully by the Ultramarines, the world of Dwell is found to harbour an esoteric network of technologies of potentially xenos origin which predate the Age of Strife." I might just claim dibs on this to allow the Order of the Open Hand a nice peaceful victory. Recommended Force: Halcyon Wardens
  • The Compliance of Indra'sulTime: Great Crusade, 987.M30. Location: Indra'sul System, Northern fringe of Obscurus. Notes: "Once the planet must have served as a mighty Explorator port for the fleets of the Dark Age of Technology, but now it was reduced to a wasteland, with the exception of a vast glittering spire of silver many kilometres thick that reached from the ground to the void above, terminating in a series of branch-like docking tendrils that blanketed the sky of one hemisphere. Within this great structure the Raven Guard found the last survivors of Indra-sul, and the creatures who now ruled them. In the dark years of the Age of Strife the xenos known as the Khrave had systematically harvested the population of Indra-sul over the course of many centuries."See Raven Guard Exemplary Battle for more details. Given the location, any of the Obscuran Legions could serve, although the Eagle Warriors would be closest. Recommended Force: Eagle Warriors, Crimson Lions, Grave Stalkers, Warriors of Peace, or Warbringers
  • The Mariposa CampaignTime: Great Crusade, 988.M30. Location: Mariposa(?) Sector. Notes: "The war began when a pocket of space comprising 13 Subsectors was released from Warp Storms that had raged since the Age of Strife. For three years the Blood AngelsImperial FistsImperial Army, and Sisters of Silence battled against hordes of Mutant Warp-cults, bringing 34 worlds into compliance." Big campaign, going to need multiple Legions. Recommended Force: Any Legion, minimum of at least two.
  • The Whisperhead MountainsTime: Great Crusade, 001.M31. Location: Sixty-Three Nineteen System. Notes: It's the first battle to feature Samus in Horus Rising. Any Legion could serve, though I'd recommend the Predators. It could tie into their secret quest to learn more about Chaos. Recommended Force: Predators
  • The First War of XenobiaTime: Great Crusade, 003.M31. Location: xenobia System(?)/Interex. Notes: Thanks to the Halcyon Wardens, this battle never occurs I just wanted to mention that the Kinebrach had warships that shot Warp storms and disease weapons that could kill Astartes in minutes. Recommended Force: Predators
  • The Battle for Choral CityTime: Great Crusade, 006.M31. Location: Isstvaan III. Notes: This battle is extremely well covered in canon, but they still rebel in our continuity as well. Predators do love smashing rebellions or perhaps one of the Anti-Warp Legions to counter the Sirens. Recommended Force: Predators or Anti-Warp Legion
  • The Drussen AtrocityTime: Horus Heresy, 010.M31. Location: Isstvaan III. Notes: "Rumors of a forbidden empyreal engine drew the attention of splinter elements from both Traitor and Loyalist forces, leading to a brief war which ravaged the isolated world of Drussen. The apocalyptic conflict halved the world's population in a single night." The context is going to be very different, but the Drussen engine will need to be dealt with in some manner. Recommended Force: Predators or Anti-Warp Legion

And that covers the two red pages in Malevolence.

I'd suggest that the Wardens of Light silence the Screaming World. They also take Isstvan III as per the first thing I ever wrote for the project... three years ago, my word. Edited by bluntblade