Blacker than Black.

In my continuing quest to experiment with different materials, I came across this:

http://bit.ly/2ob00R8

I'll have my bottle in a couple weeks. I'll post results here. This could be an interesting basing paint for those of us who wish to take our Blacks to new levels. 

*EDIT* Unless you are Anish Kapoor

It'll be interesting based off the fact you draw your sense of depth from tone and with this - you'll basically get none. Looking forwards to seeing the results.

It very well may be! However if it does not have any applications ON the miniatures, I can certainly use it for background blackout for photography & videos.

I also want to specifically try it on a banner background, so that it really just pops the other colors out. We shall see. 

Yeah, but even matte black reflects. This doesn't. It will look flat, always. And will be a bitch to photograph.

The XWing / Gothic board + specks of white as stars and airbrushed "galaxies" might be a very cool board though.

Might be difficult to highlight. Would love to see the results. I am very tempted.

I think it might be "impossible" to highlight. The virtually zero reflective nature of the Black 2.0 means that it has no depth.  Its very likely that paint you apply over the top will merely have the look of simply sitting on a formless silhouette.

Honestly I think there is little to no application for miniatures for this. It basically turns something into a silhouette of black. When painting a miniature the last thing you want is to lose all definition and details which is exactly what happens with this.

I think it could be quite useful for certain applications, like areas that are meant to be completely hollow which aren't. Examples could be gun barrels, the top vent of sm helmets and ecxhausts.

It could also be used for arcs of black energy on power swords (maybe more for necrons though).

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

"It was forged of black solarite in ages past" "The blade was black, so black it took no reflection, appearing to consume what light dared fall upon it."

Taken from "Eternal Crusader" by Guy Haley

That is why I would like that black

"It was forged of black solarite in ages past" "The blade was black, so black it took no reflection, appearing to consume what light dared fall upon it."

Taken from "Eternal Crusader" by Guy Haley

That is why I would like that black

While that sounds awesome in theory, in practice what might look amazing on a full scale "real" sword doesn't necessarily translate to looking good on a mini.

I think it could have the potential for "Chipping" black armor. often times I have to build up a subtle highlight on where I want to chip and scratch black armor because putting a black chip/scratch on the armor does't show up well. Following that sort of same base coat > scratch with black > highlight under the black scratch with your highlight color. That doesn't really work on black armor since the black is usually your basecoat. =/

http://i.imgur.com/canW5H3.jpg?1

Just an example of what I mean.

Loving all this discussion, I especially like the reference to the "black solarite". I certainly have a checklist of things to experiment on. Here's what my testing is going to encompass:

- Generic Space Marine base coated in Vallejo Grey primer, with Black 2.0 wash (website says it can be diluted to make washes)

- Generic Space Marine base coated in Vallejo Black primer, with Black 2.0 wash 

- Generic Space Marine base coated in 50/50 mix of Black 2.0 & Vallejo Black primer

- Generic Space Marine base coated in Black 2.0

- "Droppout Camo" - scout camo cloak with Black 2.0

- "Dark Saber" sword - power sword with Black 2.0 with edge highlighting

- Lighting - Black 2.0 background & turntable for testing photographing on "black on black"

Any other requests? Nothing is off the table is at this point. 

Some simple vehicle, like a rhino chassis, primed Chaos Black, rear half airbrushed Black 2.0, right half of the Black 2.0 drybrushed with Eshin Grey for the edge contrast - pictures from side / top / rear?

Might be good to create "fake" pits.  Slowly work some normal back into cracks and other places, then add Black 2.0 in the deepest parts, so the chasms appear never ending. :)

black lightning on power weapons perhaps?

I am loving the scientific testing approach, it always helps you find what you actually want for your minis!

Epiphany: Base coat light blue, Black 2.0 mixed with crackle paint. 

Archived