Sisters inducting new vehicles into Order

Sir_Gaea

Having just come down from a painting binge for my sisters, I realized two things. First was that I needed 2 more Immolaters for my troops; Second was that, as infantry, the sister have no direct fire support. I came to think I wanted something for my army after reading about what a StuG III (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturmgesch%C3%BCtz_III) was and how it was used by the Germans.

What I ask of you you, denizens of this helpful thread, can sisters induct other vehicles into their service, and if so what type of chassis would they prefer? For example, would they work on a long abandoned Vindicator or would they take some hapless Imperial Guards Thunderer Siege Tank.

Alternately, if there is part of the Sisters war-gear that performs this function and I missed it just say so.

Honestly, this is less for the table top and more I want to paint something different and not sure which direction to go.

I'd consider the Exorcist to be a fire support vehicle rather than anything else.

My Head cannon is that sisters should be able to use most marine standard vehicles and equipment, after all the Ecclesiachy can afford the best of the best for them.

Tabletop wise my current WIP is giving an Ironclad Dread + Drop Pod a sisters make over for a hobby project and for use in a Castellan's list. 

http://i.imgur.com/Lh5Sqdr.jpg?1

What I ask of you you, denizens of this helpful thread, can sisters induct other vehicles into their service, and if so what type of chassis would they prefer?

Both the high lords and the ecclesiarchy work to restrict the sistes access to vehicles and weapons for various reasons - just adding a variant like the repressor to the canon of sanctioned vehicles took some debate, but also demostrates that the vehicles the sisters use is open to change.

One likely source of a sisters heavy anti-tank vehicle (from a fluff perspective) would be the ecclesiarchy coming into posession of STC fragments for a new weapon and negotiating a deal similar to that which brought about the immolator.

As long as it's not a SM specific vehicle I think you can probably justify it, though some of the heavier stuff (like leman fusses) don't really fit how the Sisters operate. Pitched battles aren't really their thing (if they do do that it's usually in support of a larger military contingent I imagine).

Pitched battles aren't really their thing (if they do do that it's usually in support of a larger military contingent I imagine).

I don't know, fluff wise almost every time you see sisters, with a couple of exceptions, they're fighting a defensive battle. If defending a siege isn't a pitched battle then i'm not sure what is.

Pitched battles aren't really their thing (if they do do that it's usually in support of a larger military contingent I imagine).

I don't know, fluff wise almost every time you see sisters, with a couple of exceptions, they're fighting a defensive battle. If defending a siege isn't a pitched battle then i'm not sure what is.

Ok then let me rephrase that. Large pitched battles on open battlefields (the kind of places were mobile artillery are good to have) aren't really the Sisters' thing. Plus, I don't think GW fluff really gives an accurate ratio of how Sisters fight. All they ever talk about are the times they get wiped out. :D

Exorcists fit the role you are describing. Front armor is pretty strong and it's gun is capable enough to keep them going until AM/SM show up to save them.

Indeed - outside of game balance the fluff for exorcist is actually pretty brutal.

It's firing salvos of independently guided vertical launch melta missiles, firing accurately enough to drop them on individual infantry targets from considerable distance, while driving over rough terrain in the other direction, shooting backwards, and playing inspirational pipe organ music :p

An exorcist battery will average 10.5 missiles, and 5 dead terminators per turn. Truly one of the gems in their list.

Best part is they are instant death vs space marines. So no multiple wounds barring eternal warrior and no feel no pain. So no iron hands bull crap vs. Them.

I'd love some Exorcist battery formations with special rules along the following:

Volley Fire: All three exorcists may choose to volley fire. If volley fire is chosen, all three exorcists in the battery must target the same target. After the target is hit for the first time in this volley, the rest of the missiles in the volley fire at BS 4. Edit: the rest of the missiles in the volley fire at BS 5.

(Represents adjusting fire)

Indirect Fire: All exorcists in this formation may fire on a target without line of sight, as long as one friendly model has line of sight to the target. Shots fired indirectly are fired at BS 2.

(represents indirect fire with a spotter)

Ministrations of the Tech Priest: Formation must include an engine seer. As long as engine seer is within 12" of at least one exorcist in this battery, add 1 to the roll to determine how many missiles the exorcists in the battery fire; a single exorcist may not fire more than 6 missiles per turn.

(represents having a tech priest kick the exorcist to coax the machine spirit to fire more missiles)

Best part is they are instant death vs space marines. So no multiple wounds barring eternal warrior and no feel no pain. So no iron hands bull crap vs. Them.

Iron hands not on bikes? Heresy.

I mostly see terminators with storm shields....

Volley Fire: All three exorcists may choose to volley fire. If volley fire is chosen, all three exorcists in the battery must target the same target. After the target is hit for the first time in this volley, the rest of the missiles in the volley fire at BS 4.

Exercorsists are BS4. Maybe switch that to twinlinked or BS5. Otherwise, it's implying a downgrade that's make them so bad as to never be used. They already are statistically worse than a three Las predator when fighting literally everything but terminators or tactical squads. And wven then they are considerably less reliable.

My bad, I thought I saw BS 3 on there. That changes the math a bit. 3 exorcists will fire an average of 10.5 missiles, and kill 6.993 terminators per turn. Two exorcists will on average kill 4.622 terminators per turn. So 250 points or so to wipe a squad of TEQs per turn. Not bad at all for heavy infantry or medium vehicles.

Well, I guess I'll need to get a third Exorcist then. But the Exorcist missile launcher isn't something I see charging forward with the Sisters embarked on an Immolator. It's a missile launcher lobbing the gifts of the Emperor at His enemies from afar.

I still think I'll buy a vehicle with a Demolisher Cannon. Granted it will be a Vindicator (what with keeping to the same chassis to make repair and maintenance easier) but now I have to think Deimos pattern or normal.

I like that formation, but I was hoping a large (or Apocalyptic!) blast at will if all Exorcists combined fire.

With Armourbane.

Something like a Dracosan Armoured Transport (Solar Auxilia dedicated transport from 30k) could work well for Sisters, specifically the variant that has the Demolisher cannon on the front.  Call it a slightly different pattern (re)discovered from an STC fragment the Ecclesiarchy found, change the Demolisher cannon for some sort of Melta or Thermal cannon for thematic reasons (Range 24, S8, AP1, Melta, Small Blast, Heavy 2?), take away the Flare Shield options (or leave it in!), add some Sister of Battle unique rules/wargear to it and away we go. 

Then you can pick what transport option suits your heretic-purging needs:

Rhino - Standard APC option, cheapest option to get your women where they need to be in order to purge-on.

Immolator - Up-gunned but at the cost of transport capability, as well as being a bit more pricey than a Rhino

Repressor - Up-armoured Rhino, trades cheapness for survivability.

Dracosan-variant - Up-armoured, Up-gunned version of Immolator that can transport a full squad and act as battle-tank if needed, but pays the points.

I would absolutely love the option to have actual tanks with the sisters. An immolator is great and all, but it's nothing compared to a battle squad running out of a tank that's blasting away to flank an enemy. A repressor comes close, but it's still too weak.

I see sisters as a very aggressive armed force. They hear about some issue with mutants or heretics (*as if there was a difference) and they rush in and remove the cancer.

This is best exemplified by the use of the dominion rhino chasis rush strat that a large contingent of sisters players use, and is also evident in the type of weaponry we have. You don't only use short range guns if your mainly defending. You use them if you already plan on being close to the enemy.

I see sisters as a very aggressive armed force. They hear about some issue with mutants or heretics (*as if there was a difference) and they rush in and remove the cancer.

This is best exemplified by the use of the dominion rhino chasis rush strat that a large contingent of sisters players use, and is also evident in the type of weaponry we have. You don't only use short range guns if your mainly defending. You use them if you already plan on being close to the enemy.

It's too bad in gameplay that results in the girls being slaughtered because the other armies that have equal or shorter range just charge in and use their superior close combat skills.

It's too bad in gameplay that results in the girls being slaughtered because the other armies that have equal or shorter range just charge in and use their superior close combat skills.

I usually find myself burning through enough of their "scary" stuff to win. Usually, I lose a lot of girls, but when your packing more deltas and flamers than most armies have bolters?

Especially if you have the Saint there to help. She can tank a lot of wounds, and can even tie up smaller deatgstars long enough for the rest of your army to succeed.

However, if you want to add in tanks, Vindicators seem fluffy and allow for serious firepower, deathstrikes are also good fits if unreliable, and Leman Russes are always a good idea, especially since Sisters use inducted guard.

I usually find myself burning through enough of their "scary" stuff to win. Usually, I lose a lot of girls, but when your packing more deltas and flamers than most armies have bolters?

Especially if you have the Saint there to help. She can tank a lot of wounds, and can even tie up smaller deatgstars long enough for the rest of your army to succeed.

However, if you want to add in tanks, Vindicators seem fluffy and allow for serious firepower, deathstrikes are also good fits if unreliable, and Leman Russes are always a good idea, especially since Sisters use inducted guard.

Fair point..and you could do it easily with a Castellans list. I already added an infantry platoon to the girls. A new group of 25 gals and three big autocannons for about the price of 6 BSS in an immolator...

Coming straight out of Imperial Armour Apocalypse II (5ed)

(CHORUS OF FAITH)

I've had a half finished mistress of the choir for years - it's sitting in limbo awaiting the return of the repressor kit as it carries my last set of spaced armour.

Only had the formation on the tabletop once though, and it was all but wiped out first turn by an ork rok that scattered about four feet off target...

Mistress of the Choir

I'd prefer fleur de Lys shaped jetbikes - with penitent pattern underslung heavy bolter for heretic hunting.

Big, heavy armoured transports like the gorgon supported by penitent engines on the ground. Somehow sisters need to be a bit different to both guard and space marines.

Archived