Shvagyer's Ultramarines (2ed marines p.#86)

ShVagYeR

• 2 weeks later...

RedGabe, Joukernaut - Thanks, Brothers!

So far so good. I've managed to assemble three Devastators out of two boxes that I bought during the honeymoon last week. This will be the first batch of this unit. :smile.:

I went with the exact same model as visible on the box for the Sergeant, just because I really like the selection of bits. The only addition is the second servo-skull on the back. That said, one of the Ultramarines novels states that the Chapter doesn't use servo-skulls because they believe them to be disrespectful of the dead. Well, tough times, desperate measures. I guess there's no room for mercy in Ultramar anymore. :wink:

The Grav cannon is fully magnetized, as well as the Sergeant's bolter. No magnets on the meatshield dude.

Hidden Content
devastators1.jpg
Edited by ShVagYeR

I like that you gave the devastator marine without the heavy weapon the special legs and a helmet with targeters and stuff! Every squad member is fully trained in the use of heavy weapons and should also be equipped in a proper way so that they can pick up and use the weapon if a battle brother is downed. I like little details like that, feels very fluffy to. Will do the same for my devastator squads :)

Every squad member is fully trained in the use of heavy weapons and should also be equipped in a proper way so that they can pick up and use the weapon if a battle brother is downed.

My thinking exactly. In one of the books (was it Fall of Damnos or maybe Assault on Black Reach? can't remember right now) a Devastator marine picks up his fallen brother's heavy weapon and uses it as per the Sergeant's order. I wish this was incorporated into the rules, kind of a look out sir mechanic for heavy gunners. :)

I agree with that idea.  We could do it back in RT days (at least my group allowed it).  This idea suggests all Devastator Marines would have those legs and maybe that makes sense ...

The 7th edition didn't encourage me to put one in the unit, but now that everything's going to strike first on the charge... I might break off some arms, add magnets and and Eviscerator. :) I have to admit it does look badass.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been making some progress recently, albeit slow. Three Devastators are now finished and three more are assembled and ready for priming:

Hidden Content
devastators2.jpg

Hidden Content
devastators3.jpg

Really looking forward to adding Primaris Marines to this army. :) My FLGS owner already knows that I'll be buying the 8ed starter box and now the goal is to finish the Demi-Company before the new minis arrive, which is 16-17 June. Unfortunately this puts the Victrix Guard on the backburner (they're not going to be a thing in the 8ed apparently), but eventually I'll get to them. In the image above the crouching beakie marine has the Mark VI power pack from the Sternguard box, so it's not like I'm not using those kits at all. ;)

Thanks for looking and till the next update.

• 3 weeks later...

abadizzle - Thanks! :D Why did you stop painting though?

Devastators are now 8/10 strong and I've also managed to paint one Intercessor from the new box:

devastators6.jpg

Currently working on the final two Devs and another Intercessor. And an armorium cherub but I forgot to place him in the picture. ;)

devastators7.jpg

Also here's the list I'm going to use in my first 8th edition game later today.

powerlevel50.jpg

HQ 17

Chaplain

Marneus Calgar

Troops 15

3 x Tactical Squad, Combi-plasma, Plasma gun

Elites 3

Apothecary

Dedicated Transports 15

3 x Razorback with TLLC

I'm going to face orks so the opponent will probably go with strength in numbers. We'll see how thist list does. The main goal is to learn 8th edition rules and enjoy a nice fluffy game, winning is secondary. ;)

X Devastator Squad Atavian

This day marks the completion of another unit. :smile.:

devsquad10_00.jpg

Models:

devsquad10_01.jpg

Sergeant Maxima Atavian has two servo-skulls. I was seriously considering adding a third one, but ultimately decided against it.

devsquad10_02.jpg

All four heavy weapon operators have been assembled with Grav-cannons, however they're all magnetized and now that the 8th edition allows split fire, I'll be sure to prepare other options as well. This one's a beakie, first of two in the unit.

devsquad10_03.jpg

Grav-cannon #2. This one has an iron haloed skull for better aim. :smile.:

devsquad10_04.jpg

These bracing legs would fit a Heavy bolter better, but this works as well.

devsquad10_05.jpg

Never too many aquilas!

devsquad10_06.jpg

The remaining five dudes are mixtures of bits from Devastator and Tactical boxes.

devsquad10_07.jpg

Continuing the theme from Guilliman's base, this one has a Black Legionnaire head on the base.

devsquad10_08.jpg

Here's this unit's second beakie. In case his squad mates get bored, they can always read the parchment on his backpack.

devsquad10_09.jpg

Not much to say here.

devsquad10_10.jpg

And the final one.

devsquad10_11.jpg

So far this has been the creepiest model I've painted for 40k. I've got another one which will probably end up in a conversion of a character (think Master of the Marches).

Meanwhile I've got 2 Intercessors completed. Working on a 3rd one and a Company Ancient. Thankfully I painted the banner last year, so now I just have to paint the dude himself. :smile.:

ancient1.jpg

Edited by ShVagYeR

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome thin highlights, nice photography as well! Truly ultramarines to be proud of!

That banner is also great as well, is that all done freehand?

Joukernaut - Thanks!

PaddyG - Thank you for appreciating the photography. :) It was a revelation to discover stuff like aperture and shutter settings... and all I had to do was read the instructions. :D Yes it's freehand that I did back in 2016. The gap between the eagle and the laurel wreath is too wide but other than that I'm pretty satisfied. ;)

Ok so 8th edition happened... And I found myself eager to assemble and paint some miniatures that would never had crossed my mind before. As a result of playing 4 games within the last two weeks (that's more than I played in 7th edition lol) I finished these miniatures recently:

ultras2.jpg

The Apothecary on the left is Selenus, his apperance based on the Defenders of Ultramar comic book and that is my first 4th Company model. :) Then there's Chaplain Trajan and Apothecary Venatio from the 2nd Company.

ultras1.jpg

Here we've got Ancient Vandius and two Intercessors. I'll post better pictures of all those guys once I complete Company Command (in my mind that includes Apothecary, Chaplain, Ancient, Champion, and the basic squad of Company Veterans that is 2 dudes).

Next up: Intercessor Sergeant (to complete the squad) and... Cato Sicarius! :D In Finecast, but still. Can't wait to run him in the middle of 2-3 Tactical Squads just to troll my friend who plays Orks and wants to charge my Tacticals. ;)

III Intercessor Squad

8th edition is here!

Obsolete entry. Please see this post for the latest one.

Captain Sicarius is also completed, but the picture will come later.

As always thanks for looking and till the next update. :smile.:

Edited by ShVagYeR

• 1 month later...

Company Command

It took a while, but now I've got all the command staff I wanted.

compcomm_0.jpg

Models:

compcomm_1.jpg

Let's start with the true Captain of the 2nd. Cato Sicarius may be lost in the Warp at the moment, but he will make his glorious return to execute his master tactic once again: use half of the company as bait while he leads the other half to victory. Works like a charm every time. :D I have to say I really like the amount of detail on this model.

compcomm_10.jpg

In Cato's absence the duty of command falls to Acheran. It's the first model in a while that I had to do in sub-assemblies.

compcomm_9.jpg

Here's a non-Primaris Lieutenant to lead a demi-company. The pose turned out a bit static. Weapons are magnetized.

compcomm_8.jpg

This Primaris Lieutenant's pose is so cool.

compcomm_7.jpg

Chaplain Trajan is the oldest model here, painted back in 2015 for a B&C event.

compcomm_2.jpg

Veteran Sergeant Daceus leads the Company Veterans squad to battle. I took the idea of helmets being attached to the belt from Primaris models, turned out ok I think. Company Vets have a wide selection of weapons, so magnets are a must here.

compcomm_6.jpg

Brother Malcian accompanies Daceus as fire support. The model is a Mark IV from Betrayal at Calth except for the Plasma gun. Magnets all the way as well, obviously.

compcomm_4.jpg

Ancient Vandius holds the Company banner aloft, while pointing in the general direction of the enemy, as you do. It's a very 40k pose I find.

compcomm_3.jpg

Apothecary Venatio was kitbashed and painted in a single day for a game on the following day because Apothecaries rock in 8ed.

compcomm_5.jpg

Honoured Brother Gaius Prabian is always eager to pick a fight.

I'm currently finishing the Hellblaster squad and working on expanding Intercessors to 10 men. I don't want any two models in a unit to look alike, so there is some converting and kitbashing involved.

Replies:

Joukernaut - Feel free to steal any idea as most of them are stolen from someone else anyway. :D

Thunder_god, Redrandy93, derLumpi - I'm glad you guys like what you see. :)