Shvagyer's Ultramarines (2ed marines p.#86)

ShVagYeR

ULTRAMARINES

Greetings Brothers and welcome to my plog. It will serve as a repository of my Ultramarines army pictures, both finished and WIP. This first post will be edited each time there is a major update, like a completed unit. Without further ado allow me to present a current picture of the army:

The army currently consists of:

Chapter Command

Second Company - Guardians of the Temple

Fourth Company - Defenders of Ultramar

Each of the entries above should link to a separate post containing detailed pictures and descriptions of particular units. Such posts will be added going forward as they are completed.

Thank you for looking and feel free to comment, all feedback and criticism is welcome! Even if I don't agree, I will tell you why. :wink:

Edited by ShVagYeR

IV Tactical Squad Fennion

This unit was not the first Ultramarine unit that I painted, but it was the first to be raised to a painting standard that I'm satisfied with and I'm trying to keep consistent across the entire army. The final brush strokes were made in May 2016.

tacsquad4_00.jpg

A few quick notes about particular models:

tacsquad4_01.jpg

Sergeant Fennion consists mostly of bits from the 2013 Tactical Squad box, however the ultima pauldron and the gladius (counts as a regular CCW, not an extra chainsword) are from the Ultramarines upgrade pack. I like how his pose kind of reflects his personality in the Fall of Damnos novel. Commanding and rigid.

tacsquad4_02.jpg

This is one of the three monopose marines from the 2015 Paint Set. They're a bit taller and better proportioned than regular marines, which is nice. This set also got me into using Agrellan Earth for basing, which you'll see in the entire army. Really like that cracked earth effect.

tacsquad4_03.jpg

That is the second Paint Set marine.

tacsquad4_04.jpg

And the third one.

tacsquad4_05.jpg

I hope I won't get any negative feedback for using a Sternguard heavy bolter on a tactical marine. I suppose you could justify this by saying the weapon belonged to a veteran and was passed on to this battle-brother who is very efficient with a heavy bolter? It is, as all special and heavy weapons are in my army, magnetized. Who knows what will be all the rage in the 8th edition. ;)

tacsquad4_06.jpg

This guy sports the helmet and pauldron from the UM upgrade pack, and the other pauldron and the power pack are from 2013 Sternguard I believe. The writing on the ribbon says "Quintarn" which is one of the planets of Ultramar and it is a recurring theme in the army.

tacsquad4_07.jpg

Not much new here other than the upgrade pack pauldron but I think the pose turned out alright.

tacsquad4_08.jpg

This is the Deathwatch Overkill ultramarine slightly converted and painted differently to represent a regular tactical marine. I really liked the model so I decided to squeeze him into the unit as soon as the boxed game came out. :)

tacsquad4_09.jpg

This one looks like he's just noticed a hostile flyer. Got to roll some sixes real quick! :) I like the power pack with exposed cabling.

tacsquad4_10.jpg

Every (or almost every) squad needs a Mk VI beakie. :) This one has a Mk V torso but the rest is Mk VI Corvus all the way including the backpack from Sternguard Veterans. Meltagun is magnetized of course.

V Tactical Squad Vandar

Some of these guys went through 2 or 3 brake fluid baths and repaints so the paint may be a bit chunky on some of them but I still like them. :) This unit was completed quite recently in March 2017.

tacsquad5_00.jpg

Individual models:

tacsquad5_01.jpg

Sergeant Vandar, while very little is known about his character traits in the fluff, is supposed to be a good tactician so I figured he would deserve some relic armour parts, hence the Mk II legs and pauldrons.

tacsquad5_02.jpg

This guy started off as a joke, but I didn't want to waste a good model so decided to add him to the squad. :) In essence I had an Epic 40k Rhino lying around and decided to do something with it. One thing led to another and there was Battle-brother Aurigarius (Latin for driver/charioteer). :)

tacsquad5_03.jpg

Inspired by the Ultramarine in Gareth Etherington's army in White Dwarf (and on the Tale of Painters blog) I really wanted to make one marine with the combat blade attached like a bayonet, so there's this guy.

tacsquad5_04.jpg

Mandatory Mk VI Corvus Marine? Check. With the iconic 40k pose "that way", too. ;)

tacsquad5_05.jpg

To add a bit of diversity this special weapons dude has a set of Mk IV legs from Betrayal at Calth.

tacsquad5_06.jpg

In the past I had avoided any bits with hanging bolter shells (because reasons) but then I was left with nothing but those bits, and even grew to like them.

tacsquad5_07.jpg

Some of those found their way to this model as well.

tacsquad5_08.jpg

And here as well. I tried to achieve a more aggressive pose with regular tactical squad bits, it turned out better than expected.

tacsquad5_09.jpg

This arm holding a bolter mag is also very cool. Really like how he's scanning for new targets while reloading the weapon.

tacsquad5_10.jpg

Missile launcher standing by!

Thanks Abadizzle and Ishagu, glad you like them. :) I don't really do batch painting (not my speed) so each of these guys has a backstory, more or less interesting. Happy to share. :)

I really like the way you've taken inspiration from the fluff. I am also building the second company in line with their description in the Damnos novels, right down to preferred weapon loadouts, and building the first company as close to the collated data on their disposition I have managed to gather.

Plus your painting ability is impressive. I can't wait to see the full company on completion. Keep them coming.

Courage and Honour

VI Tactical Squad Octavian

The first five models were painted back in mid-2016 and then the unit was brought up to 10 in February 2017.

tacsquad6_00.jpg

Models:

tacsquad6_01.jpg

Sergeant Octavian has the helmet and pauldron from the upgrade pack, and "Macragge" written on the ribbon on his power pack.

tacsquad6_02.jpg

I really like the alternative aquila from the Sternguard Veterans box on this guy.

tacsquad6_03.jpg

Again tactical bits plus some from the upgrade pack and some from the sternguard box. It's the little things that keep painting troops interesting. :wink:

tacsquad6_04.jpg

Tactical Squad Octavian are supposed to be the best marksmen in the 2nd Company and this guy certainly looks like one with the sternguard bolter. The planet on the ribbon is Masali.

tacsquad6_05.jpg

A unit is not a unit without a Mk VI model. :wink:

tacsquad6_06.jpg

This one has fancy pauldrons from Betrayal at Calth. And a bolt pistol holster for a change.

tacsquad6_07.jpg

'Xenos on the second floor!'

tacsquad6_08.jpg

At this point you've probably noticed that I like heavy bolters. :smile.: Maybe it's not the best weapon in the game, but I like the look of it.

tacsquad6_09.jpg

The upgrade pack pauldron will protect him from rolling any 1's to hit... hopefully. :wink:

tacsquad6_10.jpg

Another thing that keeps me going is putting kind of easter eggs in units. :smile.: This guy was made to commemorate 200 likes on my Facebook page.

@Race Bannon, thanks! He was a lot of fun to convert. :smile.:

@Pr3Mu5, thank you! Do you have a WIP thread that I can follow?

On a side note I think that I might switch to working on the Victrix Guard once I manage to complete a Demi-Company. So a full company is probably far in the future. :wink:

I have read Fall of Damnos, Assault on Black Reach, and now I'm going through the first Ultramarines omnibus so that I can get to Chapter's Due and get some extra info on the 2nd Company. While not all of those models above are 100% compliant with the books, I do keep an excel spreadsheet tracking dead and alive battle-brothers from each squad and their preferred weapons. :smile.:

Edited by ShVagYeR

I don't have a WIP thread unfortunately. I work sometimes away from home for extended periods and with kids I barely have the time for hobby sometimes so I'm making slow progress. That being said I put up a picture of the current painted force. This is combined 1st and 2nd company units on a post in the "Using Guilliman" thread which shows my progress to date.

Funnily enough I too have a document (MS Word in my case) where I have recorded all references I have personally come across in the fluff for unit loadouts, Brothers in squads and their roles, augmentations, casualties etc. I have collated this having read all 6 books in the Ultramarines Omnibus, Fall of Damnis, Spear of Macragge, and all 9 of the stories included in Legends of the Dark Millenium. This is still a work in progress too but once compiled I hope to post it up for the community to add to it to give all the sons of Ultramar a precious resource.

Edited by Pr3Mu5

My wife asked me why I was in my hobby closet alternatingly yelling "Why don't you look like that!?" at my models and then weeping softly.

This thread is why. Such great Ultras. Wow.

They will never understand our pain. -curls up under hobby desk-

But yes I love this. Keep it up

Chapter Master Marneus Augustus Calgar

Every chapter needs a master, right? :wink:

calgar1.jpg

I got this model for somewhere around 9 euros. And it's pewter! :biggrin.: I added the bit on the power pack which is similar to his terminator version to give him a little bit more height, because as an old model he looks ridicuolously short next to Guilliman, even more than modern power armour models.

Replies:

Brother Captain Ed - Hahah my soon-to-be-wife gives me strange looks sometimes as well when I'm doing hobby stuff and talking to myself. :wink: The secret lies in training and nothing else. I've been painting various models since 2012 and it took me about 4 years to become proficient with a decent standard. So don't give up, pick up the brush, and keep going. :wink:

Ishagu - There's nothing wrong with generic-looking power armour dudes, Ultramarines are actually supposed to look uniform. But every now and then it feels really nice to have some fun with them and swap some bits. :smile.:

Pr3Mu5 - I found your army and Guilliman, they look great! I wish I had so many points painted. Please do share the document when you finish it. I'm far behind with the books, but we can compare notes when you do. There actually is a topic here on B&C with a list of all named Ultramarines but I feel it is a bit inaccurate or outdated.

Rion - I think that my fiance, while she doesn't necessarily understand my hobby pain, she does respect it. She's a keeper. :wink: And thanks!

I would just like to add that all this positive feedback really motivates me to keep painting these blue dudes. I just have to finish a Shadow Wars Kill Team of our sworn enemies Word Bearers and then I'm going back to Assault Squad Ixion which is missing only two models to reach a full ten. Thank you for reading and commenting. :smile.:

Edited by ShVagYeR

I'm glad we bullied you into making a thread. ;)

Beautiful stuff. I love the sprinkling of the Ultra pieces from the upgrade sprues.

The Rhino's are nice too. How did you achieve the tactical 'arrow' on the hatches? Just tape or did you use a stencil?

Very clean, crisp painting. It does remind me of the old days. Very nice work!

Roboute Guilliman

Reading the news on WH Community about this guy (was it February?) woke me up in the middle of a boring meeting at work and I couldn't wait for the release of the Triumvirate. :smile.: Got him as soon as my FLGS got the package and painted him in 4 days.

primarcha1.jpg

Went better than expected. :smile.: Despite all the details and the weird WD painting guide that made his face look as if he was saying "put the lotion in the basket" I think I managed to get a decent look out of him and do the model justice. Which was essentially the goal. He is the centerpiece of this army and my entire 40k collection without a doubt. Now the only thing that remains is to paint worthy companions for him. :smile.:

Replies:

Race Bannon - Glad you like it! :smile.:

Brother Captain Ed - I wish I could say something original and groundbreaking here, but in fact it is the official GW instruction that I use. :smile.: Spray with Macragge Blue, wash recesses with Drakenhof Nightshade, do two edge highlights with Calgar Blue and Fenrisian Grey. The only extra bit I added was applying the Guilliman Blue glaze all over the armour (which was a thing in older instructions, not so much recently for some reason). I can't do blends or any other fancy stuff so all those WD Paint Splatter instructions really work for my ordinary base/wash/edge highlight style.

Prot - Thank you! That didn't strike me as bullying but either way I'm happy I started this thread. :smile.: The tactical arrows were made with Tamiya masking tape and the Corax White spray from GW.

Edited by ShVagYeR

Guilliman is looking sweet. Put the lotion in the basket indeed... he was quite creepy and I always suspected it was the GW artistic choices that did that. Personally I can't choose between helmets.  You've done a great job. Four days is really good for that high level of work. Very nice.

Rion - Thanks! I like all the Dorn/Emperor conversions as well, but I get a feeling you might get a Dorn model in the near future anyway, if rumours are to be believed. As for the ex, well, if it wasn't meant to be, it wasn't meant to be. The next one will be better. ;)

Ishagu - Thank you! It's just letters with serifs and a bit bolder on vertical lines. Saw it somewhere on one of GW paintjobs and decided to replicate. In hindsight a lighter color like Ushabti Bone under the letters would have been better than Rakarth Flesh, but painting over it and trying to recreate would be too risky. ;)

ultranoga.jpg

Verger - Thank you and don't ever get discouraged, keep practicing because that's the best way to make your minis look the way you want them to. :)

WarriorFish - Thank you! Why would you throw out your painting list? Get cracking on it instead and remove items from it. ;)

Prot - I've got the helmet painted as well, just forgot which Rhino I'd put it in but found it now. :D Thank you and to be perfectly honest it was 4 days not 4 evenings because I was on leave from work. ;)

gulihelm.jpg

I don't have a major update today, because as I mentioned earlier two Assault Marines are waiting in the queue behind a 5-man Word Bearers team for Shadow Wars. But pretty soon I should able to pick up the blue paints and bring the army one step closer to a Demi-Company. :)

wbumwip.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

VII Assault Squad Ixion

This unit is now complete and I have 4/5 of my Demi-Company painted now (first post is updated). Whether the Demi-Company will be a thing in the 8th edition remains to be seen, even if not it will still be a good base to build a fluffy CAD, possibly with some bonuses for being thematic. Either way I'm looking forward to the new 40k. :)

asssquad7_00.jpg

Models:

asssquad7_01.jpg

Sergeant Ixion's arms are magnetized as well as the jump pack (as is the case with all squad members). The helmet comes from the UM upgrade pack.

asssquad7_02.jpg

Mk VI Corvus is a must in an Assault Squad. :)

asssquad7_03.jpg

The other flamer dude is Mk VII all the way with an upgrade pack pauldron.

asssquad7_04.jpg

Really like the dynamic legs in the latest Assault Squad kit.

asssquad7_05.jpg

This one's going to bump into a lot of models on the tabletop with this far-reaching chainsword, but hey he's badass. :)

asssquad7_06.jpg

The second half of the squad comes from the old Assault Squad box. As it was their 2nd or 3rd repaint, I tried to cover up some imperfections with holsters, pouches, and grenades. I like this guy's commanding pose though.

asssquad7_07.jpg

Power pack positioning on these older guys might be awkward at times because back then I used 5x5x1mm square magnets instead of 3x1 round ones that are present in the newer half of this unit.

asssquad7_08.jpg

Very similar to the one above, I guess whoever put them together in the first place wasn't very imaginative. ;)

asssquad7_09.jpg

Well perhaps it's not just the vents that move to direct the thrust and instead it's the entire jump pack that moves? Let's stick to that version. ;)

asssquad7_10.jpg

And this is the last one. I believe one pauldron might be from an older (possibly 2nd Ed) kit because the trim is a bit thicker and there are no indents on the inside.

Now all I have to do is convert and paint up 10 Devastators while resisting the urge to paint random stuff for Shadow War: Armageddon. Wish me luck. ;)

Replies:

Schultzhoffen - Thank you! I'm glad you like these models. :)