The Legio B&C Project WIP

IMPERIAL DATE CODE: 5/275017.M3 [approx. (GMT - 5:00 hours) 09:00:01 AM to 05:45:36 PM, April 11th, 2017]

By order of his most holy majesty the God-Emperor of Terra

ARX VIGILANS LIBRARIUM
SEQUESTERED LEGIO DOSSIERS
AUTHORISED PERSONS ONLY

CASE FILE 1011:65E:GG7:Rlg

Please enter your authority code > • • • • • • • • • • • •
Validating...
Thank you, B&C Battle Brother.
You may proceed.

sml_gallery_8429_13034_901.gif sml_gallery_8429_13034_901.gif sml_gallery_8429_13034_901.gif

The Space Marines of the Adeptus Astartes are the mightiest warriors in the Imperium and their fury in battle is legendary. Few can stand against the might of a Space Marine Chapter and the foes of Mankind tremble at their name. But there are heretics and traitors within the Imperium whose evil threatens Mankind from within. To face such foes demands warriors whose hearts and souls are trained to withstand extremes of pain and terror, whose faith in the Emperor is as unwavering as it is strong. Since the dawn of the Imperium a brotherhood of Space Marines have fought these foes and defeated them. They are the Legio.
--- quoted from The Legio by Brother Tyler

tn_gallery_8429_13064_11239.pngsml_gallery_8429_13034_10314.giftn_gallery_8429_13064_2252.png

med_gallery_8429_13034_1941.png

sml_gallery_8429_13034_13125.png

WARHAMMER 40,000: Legio Space Marine Army - coming soon
BATTLEFLEET GOTHIC: Legio Space Marine Fleet - coming soon
REALM OF BATTLE: Sector Imperialis gaming board - coming soon

sml_gallery_8429_13034_14430.png

E TENEBRAE LUX VI Oath of Moment | Vow ... | - coming soon

sml_gallery_8429_13034_1232.png

2003 Legio B&C Marine Contest by Kurgan the Lurker
Legio B&C Minis - 04/06/2006 by Kurgan the Lurker
Index Astartes: Legio - 12/27/2009 by Brother Tyler
Shields of the Legio - 06/13/2010 by Brother Tyler
The Legio Bolter & Chainsword Insignium (WIP - LM inputs) - 03/19/2016 by Brother Tyler
The Legio [bolter & Chainsword] - 06/12/2016 by Brother Tyler
Reinforcement Rush - March 2017 by Dosjetka, here and here
Dos' B&C Legio army project - 04/29/2017 by Dosjetka
Codex Adeptus Astartes Space Marines

sml_gallery_8429_13034_15058.png

Arx Vigilans, star fortress - coming soon
Sword Bearer, battle barge - coming soon
Divine Hunter, strike cruiser - coming soon
Spear of Justice, strike cruiser - coming soon
Purgator, battle barge - coming soon

sml_gallery_8429_13034_1433.png

Standard Badge of the Legio - coming soon
Blood of the Emperor Great Company - coming soon
Light of the Emperor Great Company - coming soon
Justice of the Emperor Great Company - coming soon

Might of the Emperor Great Company - coming soon

sml_gallery_8429_13034_5261.png

The Most Pious Lord and Inquisitor Impetro Respondi - 05/26/2016 by Servant of Dante

sml_gallery_8429_13034_901.gif sml_gallery_8429_13034_901.gif sml_gallery_8429_13034_901.gif

Thank you, Olis. I appreciate any and all input.

I am attempting to steadily do something every few days to get to my goal. Browsing through my bitz boxes and planning an order from my GW store.

I am almost certain there are a few of the Legion of the Damned pads #3 & #5 hiding around somewhere. I have read where the Deathwatch pads were used by others, especially in the 2003 Legio B&C Marine Contest pictures linked to Kurgan the Lurker's gallery. I will be using a few of them as well, maybe for Commanders, Veterans or Sergeants?

sml_gallery_8429_13043_105470.png sml_gallery_8429_13043_45540.png

Ciao,

R.

I am debating on an alternate choice of pad instead of the marine's original chapter pad.

My thoughts are along the lines of a crusade symbol pad, the entire Legio acting as one giant sword in the darkness. The three Great Companies march forth together in these rapidly ending times. This idea would also be a nod to the 'field police' of yesteryear, acting as enforcers among the Astartes. The 'traditional' field police symbol was likely used as a sign of non-bias towards any of the chapters.

Each of the Great Companies would have a variation based on their own company colours.

Blood of the Emperor Great Company
tn_gallery_8429_13049_19798.pngtn_gallery_8429_13049_15663.pngtn_gallery_8429_13049_21566.png

Light of the Emperor Great Company
tn_gallery_8429_13049_999.pngtn_gallery_8429_13049_18398.pngtn_gallery_8429_13049_9648.png

Justice of the Emperor Great Company
tn_gallery_8429_13049_4559.pngtn_gallery_8429_13049_6927.pngtn_gallery_8429_13049_16416.png

With the history of the Legio, I think that it would be very likely that they would have something to do with the Ordo Astartes.

From the Lexicanum:

Ordo Astartes

The Ordo Astartes is a minor Ordo of the Inquisition. Founded in M32, they oversee the Chapters of the Adeptus Astartes. The strength of the Ordo is currently estimated at 50 Inquisitors.[1] During the Second Founding, they forcibly disbanded the Wolf Brothers, owing to that chapter's aberrant gene-seed. The Wolf Brothers were given a choice between honourable death in battle or Inquisitorial execution; however, many of their number escaped entirely, with the Ordo accusing Primarch Leman Russ of aiding their flight.[2]

Sources
1: Codex: Inquisition, pg. 18
2: Champions of Fenris - A Codex: Space Wolves Supplement, pg. 8

One reason for considering this is because of the Legio's early incarnation using Inquisitor heraldry. As the current Deathwatch origins seem to mirror the Legio's, or vice versa, another Ordo of the Inquisition gathering Space Marines to police the Astartes wouldn't be too far fetched.

Curses, you have caught me at procrastination! censored.gif

How is this?

med_gallery_8429_13058_5269.jpg

Okay, okay. I confess it is photoshop faux marine. wallbash.gif

My 'She Who must Be Obeyed' has tasked me with Her Sacred List of Honey Do's.

Models lay scattered across the battlefield of my work station. Their prayers to the Emperor shall not go unheard.

I shall not post here again without a true picture of progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting for (proper) pictures. tongue.png

I have added your own project thread to my reference list above.

I know, I have been lax.

I am still waiting on some chapter specific bitz.

As I said I would not post again without a picture...

med_gallery_8429_13058_319827.jpg

Some food for thought...

One discussion we had awhile ago among the moderati was in what the distinctive aesthetics of the Legio are. For example, we might point to robes as the recognizable characteristic of the Unforgiven Chapters, pelts and teeth as the Space Wolves', etc. Ultimately, we decided that there aren't really distinctive "Legio" elements, except for the color scheme and the incorporation of three things:

• Legio badge (nominally the skull, occasionally with the red "X" and/or the crossed bones and/or the red/white/black of the great companies)
  • Inquisition symbol (should be used sparingly - not on every battle-brother)
  • black and white checkerboard pattern (usually on the right knee/lower leg/foot; again, sparingly - not every battle-brother has this marking)
Aside from those elements, a Legio force is a cosmopolitan example where each battle-brother is unique, showing the markings of his parent Chapter. So a Salamanders battle-brother will look like a Legio battle-brother with some hammer and flame markings while a Crimson Fists battle-brother will look like a Legio battle-brother with the left hand, and possibly the right, in crimson; etc.

Essentially, the three elements I listed will be the unifying visual cues while each battle-brother will be unique.

This is further enhanced by the possibility of a "Legio" force retaining its parent Chapter scheme because the detachment is training with the Legio temporarily. In this case, a few of the battle-brothers will look like normal Legio battle-brothers while the rest of the force will look like, say, the Knights of Gryphone, only with the Legio badge added somewhere. Such a force might even consist of multiple Chapters, so you might see several squads in the colors of the Novamarines and several other squads in the colors of the Fire Angels.

So a Legio force has lots of room for variation. I'm looking forward to seeing how this project progresses, especially in light of the Chronicles challenge.

Thank you for the illuminating advice. thumbsup.gif

My first thought was to build them in a standard Space Marine and/or Deathwatch fashion, all standard Legio colours with Legio and chapter specific shoulder pads. I realize that would be too 'vanilla' for the Legio.

I like the idea of some Legio members remaining in their parent chapter colours to provide more variety. I may start with a few 5-strong combat squads with bolters to fit together in regular Tac/Aslt/Dev positions. It also allows me to use more than one of each chapter pad. Not to mention it should prevent the burnout from doing an all 'one colour' army.

I am making a list of chapter specific details for individual models, perhaps making them squad leaders, veterans, or command officers.

I appreciate your advice as I continue. Yes, and there are the 'Chronicles' to consider... msn-wink.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Archived