What have your Raven Guard done lately?

mertbl

How are your devastator loaded out? I've started running a squad but have only fielded them once as I don't get to play much. I've got two heavy bolters and two missile launchers right now. I plan on swapping it one of each for a plasma Cannon and Las Cannon for utility.

2 ten man squads with 4 x Lascannon and 4 x Missile Launcher. I've used 8 x Lascannon while I got my missile launchers ready to good effect, but I happened to be playing small, elite armies. The ML is the way to go for sheer versatility. 

Good to know. I only have HB and ML painted and ready right now which is why I'm fielding them. I do have one devastator kit that is ready to be primed but I've got other stuff on the workbench right now.

If you're going to mix weapons in a squad you should pair them by range.

So missile launchers with lascannons (both 48") and heavy bolters with plasma cannons (both 36").

Grav cannons at 24" are the odd man out.

I say that because if you have a mixed heavy bolter and lascannon squad, the bolter guys are standing there twiddling their thumbs while the lascannons are shooting at things 39" out.

That makes a lot of sense. Aside form being what I had built I was looking at the ML covering vehicles/high T targets while the HB filled an anti-infantry role.

With what you said does it even make sense to do what Gulltramarine said and fill the squads out to ten men? Then you've got 5 bolter guys doing nothing. I can see the argument that they're ablative wounds, but I would think having them out running around and being distractions would make more sense. I guess you could leave them as a 10 man and after seeing what you're up against combat squading them if that makes more sense...

Depends on what my plan is.

Now that squads can share transports, sticking 2 5-man Dev squads in a drop pod with 4 weapons each doesn't sound bad in the right scenario.

8 grav cannons or multimeltas landing behind enemy lines can do a lot of damage.

Depends on what my plan is.

Now that squads can share transports, sticking 2 5-man Dev squads in a drop pod with 4 weapons each doesn't sound bad in the right scenario.

8 grav cannons or multimeltas landing behind enemy lines can do a lot of damage.

I can't bring myself to spend 95pts on a drop pod. Because of our CT, I haven't had any idea beyond castling up my gunline in a corner inside an anti-DS bubble and letting my vans do the in-your-face stuff

Today I scored my first victory in 8th.  I had 2 losses and 3 draws previously.  The only reason I'm mentioning this is because I scored the win in epic 41st millennium style.

The situation.

My opponent is imperial fists and the mission is eternal war.  I have and hold 1 objective in my deployment zone.  My opponent has and holds 1 objective in his deployment zone.  There is 1 object in the dead centre of the table, ontop of a two level building that blocks los.  My opponent holds this objective on the 2nd level with 4 scouts.  Shrike is 6 inches away on the first level of the building.  There is a 4th objective in the midfield that is uncontested.  I accidentally killed the unit holding it with ridiculously good hit and wound rolls, nearly flawless rolls.  My plan was to charge the unit holding this objective and wipe it out but it died unexpectedly leaving me no way to get units on the objective.

With each objective being worth 3 points I was behind 7 to 3 since my opponent holds 2 markers and got first blood.  My only option in the bottom of turn 5 was for Shrike to charge and wipe out the 4 scouts which he did with great vengeance.  Admittedly I had to roll well to secure the victory in this game in the final turn but it was still an epic finish. 

Today I scored my first victory in 8th. I had 2 losses and 3 draws previously. The only reason I'm mentioning this is because I scored the win in epic 41st millennium style.

The situation.

My opponent is imperial fists and the mission is eternal war. I have and hold 1 objective in my deployment zone. My opponent has and holds 1 objective in his deployment zone. There is 1 object in the dead centre of the table, ontop of a two level building that blocks los. My opponent holds this objective on the 2nd level with 4 scouts. Shrike is 6 inches away on the first level of the building. There is a 4th objective in the midfield that is uncontested. I accidentally killed the unit holding it with ridiculously good hit and wound rolls, nearly flawless rolls. My plan was to charge the unit holding this objective and wipe it out but it died unexpectedly leaving me no way to get units on the objective.

With each objective being worth 3 points I was behind 7 to 3 since my opponent holds 2 markers and got first blood. My only option in the bottom of turn 5 was for Shrike to charge and wipe out the 4 scouts which he did with great vengeance. Admittedly I had to roll well to secure the victory in this game in the final turn but it was still an epic finish.

Well done, love those close games. First blood is probably my least favourite recurring 40k rule. And now that guys can practically decide to go first, it's even worse

Today we celebrate a major victory, brothers.

The Eclipse Marines, Successor of Raven Guard, stood against the traitorous Iron Warriors to defend an Imperial beacon. Cut off from allies, Imperial Knight slain, and Command Points exhausted, a small force of only two Tactical Squads and two Dreadnoughts held the line for four Galactic Standard Turns until reinforcements arrived to remove the Relic from the battlefield. Captain Dorian Kol, who led the task force, is commended for his bravery - singlehandedly taking the fight to the hated enemy in melee while the rest of the marines held the firing line. While victory was not absolute, statisticians show that 'Victory Points' were even among both sides, the return of The Relic to Imperial borders ensures swift and decisive ends to conflicts elsewhere.

For The Emperor!

The Angels Laridae, Bread stealing Champions of the Emperor, secured 2/2 victories this week. One against a rogue band of Imperial Guardsmen, the highlught of which was a scout destroying a Baneblade with the boltgun shot heard around the world. The second, a tightly fough battle with Blood Angels where the MVP was vanguard plasma overwatch.

The Angels Laridae, Bread stealing Champions of the Emperor, secured 2/2 victories this week. One against a rogue band of Imperial Guardsmen, the highlught of which was a scout destroying a Baneblade with the boltgun shot heard around the world. The second, a tightly fough battle with Blood Angels where the MVP was vanguard plasma overwatch.

Give that scout a promotion, or at least a purity seal! :D

Give that scout a promotion, or at least a purity seal! :biggrin.:

I'm all about making unique markings/badges for exemplary models or units. I have a sniper scout squad that fell into the sites of a vindicator in 7th. They used their camo cloaks and cover (ruins) to full effect and all five of them survived without a scratch. I still have to figure out what to put on those guys but I will always remember that moment. Although it does make me wonder what happened to them last game when they fell apart at the change in wind direction...

Give that scout a promotion, or at least a purity seal! :biggrin.:

I'm all about making unique markings/badges for exemplary models or units. I have a sniper scout squad that fell into the sites of a vindicator in 7th. They used their camo cloaks and cover (ruins) to full effect and all five of them survived without a scratch. I still have to figure out what to put on those guys but I will always remember that moment. Although it does make me wonder what happened to them last game when they fell apart at the change in wind direction...

Cloaks were improperly fastened with the Rites of Securement, and the wind change blew their equipment away.

Last night my Raven Guard sought for and achieved vengeance against the AdMech force that wiped them from the board a few weeks ago. :biggrin.:

I am very very happy. It was great to win my first game ever, my opponent was awesome, I learned a lot, I didn't make mistakes I made last time we played, and about half my army was painted so there some really decent moments that looked good on the battlefield.

Here's a few pictures and I'll give a brief summary after:

3fsKXJj.jpg

pE3EOAp.jpg

EG7fYtQ.jpg

8pKGZYv.jpg

I played completely differently than I normally do and the payoff was incredible. Normally I play aggressively and I try to rush my opponent. That usually ends up in me getting shot off the board piece-meal. This time I stayed back to maximize my CT. I didn't use any STFS (or any stratagems aside from re-rolls) and was careful with my deepstrikes.

First picture is top of turn 1 after his movement (he went first). Of note in this picture are his rangers in the bastion, there was a pretty cinematic moment later in the game.

2nd and 3rd pictures are just some shots of my guys in deployment.

4th picture is top of turn 3 during his movement. Notice my guys haven't moved much (I was trying to play smarter and use my deepstrikes).

What you can't see is in the lower right of the board I deployed a devastator squad with with two lascannons and two missile launchers high on a ruin. A predator was behind it gaining cover while having a clear line of fire into his edge of the board where he deployed his robots and crab walker. Shrike deep struck in on my turn one to support them will re-rolls on misses.

I don't have the detailed notes to do a pseudo-batrep but suffice to say I played very Raven Guard-y.

The cinematic moment I speak of is in my turn one I deepstruck my inceptors behind the bastion his rangers were in. They charged the rangers with no overwatch because they couldn't see them, and it was only a 4 inch charge since they ignore elevation. They wiped the unit and held the bastion. This gave me a triangle of points on the board that I had high vantage points with good fields of fire. It took him two turns to wipe the inceptors but before that they charged crabby so he wasn't able to shoot for a turn. They were probably one of my all-star units this game because they drew so much fire and hung on. Their damage output wasn't great, but they did get me first blood.

Overall we had to call it after turn 4 because the store was closing. We were playing big guns never tire. Since I knew I had the last round I rushed my landspeeder storm forward to claim the middle objective. My scouts used my last command point to reroll an advance and claim the back objective (that one me the game). Score was 9 - 7, we each had two objectives and line breaker, but I had first blood and I got a point for destroying his unit of Kastelan robots.

Oh, speaking of those they suck. Did you know their invuln, if passed, reflects back a mortal wound at the firing unit? Wow that sucked. Took out two models in my dev squad and caused several wounds on my predator. Normally it only happens on a 6 but my opponent was running a canticle or battle mode (can't remember which) that added one to their invuln so they got that on a 5+. Freaking robot Jedi knights of suck, that's what those things are!

Again, a really great game and I was very please to pull out a win. It goes to show that different tactics, units, and strategies can totally change the way an army plays.

Won an Open War game versus an Alpha Legion player. We drew the deployment card where I had the 2 triangles in the corners of my side (6' side), and he had the big triangle in the center on his side. That fact that I had to mostly split my forces, while he mostly bunched his up was fortuitous, as he brought a shoot you list, and I brought a chopper list. The objective we drew was the one where you each get 3 objectives, your opponent destroys one if he controls it at the end of his turn, and whoever destroys all 3 objectives first wins. The twist was +2" of movement and +1" for advancing and charging. That was nice. I love my Open War deck! Quick game set up in a little box, and it's never the same game twice.

So, my opponent had first turn. He had a bunch of anti-vehicle, but not a lot of anti-personnel. Worked out well for me. He went hard after my Dreadnoughts, and one of my Assault Squads. Luckily my Lieutenant survived, because he was my MVP. The other Squad, with the Chaplain, was behind line of sight blocking terrain, which was sweet. Also sweet, was me busting out Auspex Scan when he placed a Chaos Lord in Terminator Armor on the table. The rule says immediately, so he could not drop the others to screen before I shot. So, lesson learned, DO NOT PLACE CHARACTERS ON THE TABLE FIRST! I weathered a brutal turn one, but I ignored his big FW tank destroyer that wounds on leadership (golly gee?!), and his Lascannon Predator. My surviving Assault Squad jumped over the Terrain, and lit up a Havoc Squad on a objective, but could not crack enough Power Armor on the charge to wipe them out, but I had 9 models on the objective to his 5, so it got pillaged. Another lesson learned at the start of his turn was LOCKED IN COMBAT IS NO LONGER THE BEST COVER SAVE IN THE GAME, because he fell back out of combat, and there was witchcraft and much shooting thrown at my Jump Pack Ninjas. Only Chappy survived.

So, also on my turn 1, I dropped in a 5man Twin Claw Vanguard squad, as well as a Jump Librarian with Force Axe and Plasma Pistol. Libby took Veil of Time and Might of Heroes. Remember my MVP? Lt Dayan Sinise had a Master Crafted Boltgun, Jump Pack, and his Chainsword was replaced with The Teeth of Terra. Might of Heroes on him was obscene. FW walker with nasty guns, destroyed. Plasma Chosen squad, purged. Chaos Lord in Terminator Armor, finished off. Damn, my Scouts really held him down until Lt got there. They did all died, but their lives bought a sound victory for The Emperor. My opponent's second Havoc Squad, completely dismembered. My opponent made sure his Demon Prince kept well away from Lt Dayan.

At the bottom of turn 3, after the evolution of the game from friendly play test to outright slugfest, I decided to go for the win. My Vanguard had taken objective 2, after the combat with the Walker, the previous turn. I had set up four jump pack unit to pounce on the third and final objective. My opponent, realizing what I was setting up, went for each of them. Target saturation, and another piece of line of sight blocking terrain, we're my dear friends for that final operation. In the end, it was Lt Dayan, and the Libby were the only survivors able to charge, but they were all it took.

Basically, my opponent was very reactive. He initially went for, what he perceived, was the biggest threats in my list, then, he mostly focus fired whatever made the most noise that turn. It was the classic mistake of focusing on what he should kill instead of going after the objectives. I ended with all 3 of my objectives intact. In his defense, it was him play testing a tournament list for Armies of Salvation up in NYC later, for the very first time. This was only my second time playing this list. Had he a better handle on all the workings of his new list, and tweaked it to fit like a glove, it would have been a very different game. However, as big a fan as I am of discussing game & theory, I am not a coula/shoulda/woulda kind of man.

Played a Guard army in an interesting game of relic last night, deployment map number 1. Focused on his infantry (mostly conscripts) and anything that could carry the relic. He had one unit of TH/SS Deathwing terminators which would have been very hard to shift if they had grabbed the relic, so made sure to keep my side of the board on lockdown by using the 9" rule to make a deepstrike-free net. Had to combat squad my vans and put them into non threatening positions in my half to do this, but it worked. My captain grabbed the relic and despite some late bombardment on surrounding units he managed to get to safety. He was hit with a lascannon in one hairy moment but passed his invulnerable save. Win for the Imperial Seagulls

My List:

Battalion Detachment

+ HQ +

Captain : Chainsword, Storm bolter 

Lieutenants 
. Lieutenant: Teeth of Terra, Jump Pack, Master-crafted boltgun  -1 CP

+ Troops +

Scout Squad 
. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Combat knife
. 4x Scout w/Boltgun 

Scout Squad 
. 4x Scout w/Boltgun 

Scout Squad 
. 5x Scout w/Boltgun
. Scout w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter 

Vanguard Detachment

+ HQ +

Captain : Jump Pack, Master-crafted boltgun, Relic blade, The Primarch's Wrath

+ Elites +

Vanguard Veteran Squad 
. Space Marine Veteran : 2x Plasma pistol 
. Space Marine Veteran : Bolt Pistol & Chainsword
. Veteran Sergeant : 2x Plasma pistol 

Vanguard Veteran Squad : Jump Pack , Melta bombs 
. Space Marine Veteran : Chainsword, Plasma pistol
. Veteran Sergeant: Chainsword, Plasma pistol 

+ Heavy Support +

Devastator Squad : Armorium Cherub 
. 4x Space Marine 
. Space Marine Sergeant: Boltgun, Chainsword
. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon : Lascannon 
. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon : Missile launcher 

. 3x Space Marine 

+ Flyer +

Stormraven Gunship : Twin assault cannon, Two Hurricane Bolters , Two Stormstrike Missile Launchers, Typhoon missile launcher 

++ Total: [2000pts] ++
Edited by Gulltramarine

Played a Guard army in an interesting game of relic last night, deployment map number 1. Focused on his infantry (mostly conscripts) and anything that could carry the relic. He had one unit of TH/SS Deathwing terminators which would have been very hard to shift if they had grabbed the relic, so made sure to keep my side of the board on lockdown by using the 9" rule to make a deepstrike-free net. Had to combat squad my vans and put them into non threatening positions in my half to do this, but it worked. My captain grabbed the relic and despite some late bombardment on surrounding units he managed to get to safety. He was hit with a lascannon in one hairy moment but passed his invulnerable save. Win for the Imperial Seagulls

My List:

Battalion Detachment

+ HQ +

Captain : Chainsword, Storm bolter 

Lieutenants 

. Lieutenant: Teeth of Terra, Jump Pack, Master-crafted boltgun  -1 CP

+ Troops +

Scout Squad 

. 4x Scout w/Boltgun 

Scout Squad 

. 4x Scout w/Boltgun 

Scout Squad 

. 5x Scout w/Boltgun

. Scout w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter 

Vanguard Detachment

+ HQ +

Captain : Jump Pack, Master-crafted boltgun, Relic blade, The Primarch's Wrath

+ Elites +

Vanguard Veteran Squad 

. Veteran Sergeant : 2x Plasma pistol 

+ Heavy Support +

. 4x Space Marine 

. 3x Space Marine 

+ Flyer +

Stormraven Gunship : Twin assault cannon, Two Hurricane Bolters , Two Stormstrike Missile Launchers, Typhoon missile launcher 

++ Total: [2000pts] ++

Nice! I'd love to know how you use your scouts. I worry they don't do much with bolters.

Nice! I'd love to know how you use your scouts. I worry they don't do much with bolters.

I'm not sure how you use them but, for me, they are literally the most important part of the list! I could replace everything else but the scouts are the first names on the teamsheet.

Apart from the CP benefits of having a cheap battalion detachment, their ability to infiltrate is one of the most powerful rules in the game.

For example, say I castle up my 2 dev squads in one corner of the board and put the captain and lieutenant in there for rerolls on hits and wounds. That's a pretty good combo, but as soon as something deep strikes close to it or charges it, it's in trouble. It has to focus fire on the deep striking unit which might be wasteful and, if it gets tied up in combat, that's a lot of firepower lost.

However, if I carefully spread the scout squads out up the board, about 15-16" away from the devastators and 9" away from the nearest board edges, I deny all that space between the scouts and devs to deep striking units. If they deep strike, it has to be about 20 inches + away from my devs. This is particularly good for Raven Guard because of our CTs, and RG dev squads with a lot of ablative wounds become very hard to dislodge. It's a great foundation for a list.

So, in short, the scouts' damage output doesn't matter. Take a heavy bolter for the hellfire shell maybe and missile launchers which are always good, but always remember that their main function is area control, which they are the best in the game at. I love my scouts!