What have your Raven Guard done lately?

mertbl

I have used vehicles in the past in this list (Razorbacks, Rhinos, or Storms), but I just found with the -1 to hit and 2+ in cover the units survived just as well.

What I generally found is that most people don't like Lias because of the general hatred of 'alpha strike' armies. Raven Guard, by their nature, is an 'alpha strike' army. They hated the fact that Lias and his squads were not only one drop, but they had no way to counter him on turn one. If I won the roll off, then they were going to take some pain; no hiding from it. If they won, my strongest threat isn't even on the board to target. I use scouts to expand my deployment zone and stop their alpha strike units. While my intercessors hunker down in my backfield on objectives with hellblaster support.

"Alpha Strike" in this case relies on winning the roll-off. Other armies (looking at you, warp-timing heretics and nids) don't even need first round to do that, so I don't consider our tricks too dirty for this world. Scouts...to be honest, until last game I haven't even considered using them at all, until I learned they deploy at regular deployment, not SftS-like after the usual deployment. Guess I'll build scouts with ML/HB and start trying out different loadouts, providing a buffer for deep strikers and infiltrators, or just to keep clear a Issodon or SftS landing zone. With my focus on shooty, mobile units, I won't go the SftS vanguard road though. That's just...too easy if getting first round, the kind of one-dimensional tricks I prefer to avoid.

I am planning to rock my scout army in my clubs local 1000 tourney. With 5 scout squads deploying in via concealed deployment only thing that can use SftS is my HQs....which  will alllow them to bolster the units near them hopefully. 

Heres what I'm thinking (Tourney is not until Feb but Im running it too):

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [57 PL, 861pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Raven Guard

Gametype: Matched

+ Heavy Support +

Mortis Dreadnought [8 PL, 135pts]
. Two twin autocannons: 2x Twin autocannon

Predator [9 PL, 152pts]: Predator autocannon, Storm bolter, Two Heavy Bolters

+ HQ +

Captain [5 PL, 81pts]: Master-crafted boltgun, Power sword, The Primarch's Wrath

Chaplain [5 PL, 72pts]: Bolt pistol

+ Fast Attack +

Scout Bike Squad [8 PL, 122pts]
. Scout Biker: Twin boltgun
. Scout Biker Sergeant: Power maul, Twin boltgun
. 2x Scout Biker w/Grenade Launcher: 2x Astartes grenade launcher

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [6 PL, 95pts]: 5x Camo cloak
. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
. 3x Scout w/Boltgun
. Scout w/Heavy Weapon: Missile launcher

Scout Squad [6 PL, 95pts]: 5x Camo cloak
. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
. 3x Scout w/Boltgun
. Scout w/Heavy Weapon: Missile launcher

Scout Squad [6 PL, 74pts]: 5x Camo cloak
. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Power maul
. 4x Scout w/Combat Knife

Scout Squad [6 PL, 96pts]: 5x Camo cloak
. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Sniper rifle
. Scout w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter
. 3x Scout w/Sniper Rifle: 3x Sniper rifle

Scout Squad [6 PL, 74pts]: 5x Camo cloak
. Scout Sergeant: Astartes shotgun, Power maul
. 4x Scout w/Shotgun

++ Total: [65 PL, 996pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Interesting concept, I'm looking forward to some intel on how this performs in the field. A few things, based on my last game's observations:

Scoutbikers seem a bit torn between different roles. The grenade launcher was auto-include last edition, but seems a worse choice than twin bolter, and now costing even more. The sergeant's power maul seems situational too, at 2A he won't do much the squad won't do itself. Worse, for just 2p the sergeant could get a storm bolter, but he can only exchange one weapon. My best experiences with scout bikers wasn't CC (they're at 2A base, not too shabby, but not their core role), it was definitely drowning the enemy in bolter/shotgun dice at 12" (6 shots per scout, 10 per sergeant). Every grenade launcher or power weapon is 4 less dice to crank out at 12", and more points invested too.

The jump captain seems a bit underwhelming too. Power sword might kill T3 and a few T4 enemies, same with the MC bolter. Killing chaff is rather easy with all the scouts, I don't see a lone jump pack model with S4 weapons do much that the others couldn't do. My most successful captains had thunder hammer (for guaranteed 3 damage per hit), and mostly bike instead of jump pack. Guaranteed 14" movement (or 20" advance), a total of 8 bolter shots at 12" (bike double bolter, storm bolter), T5, and not having the RG relic means the Armour Indomitus is free to use. T5, 2+/3++, 6W will definitely stay in the field longer than T4, 3+/4++/5W, and will wreak a lot more havoc with 8 shots S4 and 4A thunder hammer. If you still want to go the jump pack route, maybe a combi-melta (fire while advancing, lots of damage) and thunder hammer, that way something big might die quickly.

Interesting concept, I'm looking forward to some intel on how this performs in the field. A few things, based on my last game's observations:

Scoutbikers seem a bit torn between different roles. The grenade launcher was auto-include last edition, but seems a worse choice than twin bolter, and now costing even more. The sergeant's power maul seems situational too, at 2A he won't do much the squad won't do itself. Worse, for just 2p the sergeant could get a storm bolter, but he can only exchange one weapon. My best experiences with scout bikers wasn't CC (they're at 2A base, not too shabby, but not their core role), it was definitely drowning the enemy in bolter/shotgun dice at 12" (6 shots per scout, 10 per sergeant). Every grenade launcher or power weapon is 4 less dice to crank out at 12", and more points invested too.

The jump captain seems a bit underwhelming too. Power sword might kill T3 and a few T4 enemies, same with the MC bolter. Killing chaff is rather easy with all the scouts, I don't see a lone jump pack model with S4 weapons do much that the others couldn't do. My most successful captains had thunder hammer (for guaranteed 3 damage per hit), and mostly bike instead of jump pack. Guaranteed 14" movement (or 20" advance), a total of 8 bolter shots at 12" (bike double bolter, storm bolter), T5, and not having the RG relic means the Armour Indomitus is free to use. T5, 2+/3++, 6W will definitely stay in the field longer than T4, 3+/4++/5W, and will wreak a lot more havoc with 8 shots S4 and 4A thunder hammer. If you still want to go the jump pack route, maybe a combi-melta (fire while advancing, lots of damage) and thunder hammer, that way something big might die quickly.

Thanks for the advice and the power sword and the bike sgts maul are more for just in case I need to hit something. Might just change it to a sword

Edited by war009

Finished the final game of my trio of Holiday games vs my friends Eldar. The last game was a massacre - I've never rolled so hot in my life. It ended Turn 4 with me 15 - 2 on objectives in Maelstrom. It was one of those games that both parties are confused as to the whims of the dice gods... Still, some takeaways:

I gave my Captain a Thunder Hammer, finally. By Odin's Raven, he put the hurt on. With StfS, RelicPack (as my friend has named it) and this, he was able to bounce between Space elves and squish two Farseers.  On which note... I hate mortal wounds. Now, not saying they're out of place, but I hate them. His Farseer Warlord literally casually used Executioner to delete an entire Vanguard Vet squad. Evil. I mean, he then got a Hammer in the face, but still.

I think I have also, finally, settled on my final list. I have tweaked and twisted it this way and that, but I'm pretty sure I can complete this, then call it done. Good start to the year.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the full Issobomb today, at 1750p against a friend's IH parking lot.

My list (divided by role):

Issodon (Storm of Fire), lieutenant (storm bolter), 10 sternguard, 10 devs (4x grav, cherub)

3 inceptors

3 inceptors

biker captain (armour indomitus, hammer, storm bolter)

3 scoutbikers (storm bolter)

5 scoutbikers (storm bolter)

5 intercessors (grenade launcher)

5 scouts (heavy bolter)

5 tacticals (missile launcher)

10 devs (3x lascannon, heavy bolter, cherub)

His list (roughly):

gravis captain

techmarine

2x Whirlwind

predator

hellblasters

2 (or 3)x intercessors

Xiphon

Leviathan (storm cannons)

Stormtalon

VenDread (TLLC)

I won the roll-off for first round, then pretty much everything worked as originally intended. Issodon and his companions (including 3 inceptors) took a big center ruin. The grav devs, sacrificing their cherub, almost killed the leviathan, which was finished off by the inceptors. Stratagem Sternguard killed all but 1 hellblaster, which was overkilled by Issodon. The backfield devs lascannoned at the stormtalon, the HB used Hellfire Shell to kill an intercessor despite cover. Backfield Flakk missile dented the Xiphon, and the scoutbikers + captain + inceptors moved up on the predator.

Return fire killed 2 scout bikers and a few devs, but without the heavy hitters (Leviathan, hellblasters) and with a few really bad roles, not much happened.

Next round, the bikers locked (and mildly dented) predator and a whirlwind, losing 3 scout bikers to overwatch of the big guns. Grav devs overkilled the VenDread, sternguard rapidfired the xiphon to great effect, Issodon helped out too. Between another flakk missile and inceptors' charge MW, the Xiphon went down. We called it there, as essentially the bikers locked down his parking lot, which his nearby characters could have cleared in a round or two, but until then the Issodon group would have killed everything else (intercessors, stormtalon).

Main takeaways:

Issodon is a beast. His shooting is on par with other character's CC output, just at 30" range. With a lieutenant, the reroll/SoF bubble makes all 3 units deployed with them really devastating. Grav cannons, at 16 shots (4 with +1 BS) are effective against any target, at -3 to -4 AP and multiwound. Sternguard were surprisingly effective too, S4 never did the job for me against heavier stuff before.

Which lead us to a question...with Masterful Marksmanship and Storm of Fire, does it trigger the SoF at to-wound-rolls of a 5+? MM adds +1 to the roll, and SoF needs a roll of a 6, but does not mention "unmodified roll". Is there any clarification about that?

Scoutbikers...they previously either died to a stiff breeze, or survived by being locked in CC. Their S4 output is phenomenal, but I fear if I don't get first round, they just die to multidamage weapons, and waste quite a bit of points. Don't know if I should replace them by regular bikers (more resilient, less firepower) or outright more dropping stuff. Other opportunity would be to include a biker libby, who can deal MW without investing command points, and remove invul saves nearby.

Intercessors...usually my main objective campers, being able to survive in midfield ruins for quite some time. Now, my list drops so much stuff in the midfield, they get pushed to backfield objectives, and are thereby out of range. Next time, I might replace them with sniper scouts, to be able to target characters, and/or deal a few MW where necessary. The ML tacs were useful against flyers, but likewise limited in application. More troops are necessary to get CP, thereby I might keep the tacs for now. Not sure yet - for 90p, you get either 5 intercessors, 5 sniper camo scouts, or 5 tacs with ML/LC.

Next match will be at 1850p tryout for the upcoming tournament. He'll bring his tournament list, which consists of 4 whirlwinds and 4 storm cannon leviathans plus reroll bubble chars, which gives me a headache...my list is designed to function in the midfield, but then they'll be in range for a ridiculous amount of firepower. Especially inceptors and scout bikers will bleed points against that.

My Raptors are receiving more units then I realized I had.

So far 20 additional bolter/ shotgun/ melee scouts, 5 more sniper scouts, storm eagle #2, another land speeders storm, a 4th land speeder, and @ 35 pewter scouts plus possible a storm raven or fire raptor (if I find all its parts) and maybe a sicaran

Built 3 of 4 biker scouts last night...one more of them to build gag...still need another 2 but damn gw restock them already.

Which lead us to a question...with Masterful Marksmanship and Storm of Fire, does it trigger the SoF at to-wound-rolls of a 5+? MM adds +1 to the roll, and SoF needs a roll of a 6, but does not mention "unmodified roll". Is there any clarification about that?

That is exactly how it works. There are many examples of interactions like this, but in essence you will trigger Storm of Fire for the extra AP on rolls of 5 and 6 (which become 6 and 7 respectively). Also of note that Storm of Fire explicitly states that rolls of "6 or more" trigger it.

Pretty decent combo!

Good looking list, and a good batrep as well.

I think your approach to Scout Bikers should be low investment-low expectations. If you play against any list with a wealth of Damage: 2 weapons, bikes in general are going to seem a very poor choice of points.

I think your approach to Scout Bikers should be low investment-low expectations. If you play against any list with a wealth of Damage: 2 weapons, bikes in general are going to seem a very poor choice of points.

Yeah, they are mostly a delivery system for the biker captain, and not exactly high on any target priority. Armour Indomitus + thunder hammer makes the captain a beast, and scoutbiker's ridiculous amount of S4 reliably clears screening units before he charges. Bonus points if they actually survive, by turn 2 bikers are guaranteed in the enemy deployment zone, and lock stuff in CC. Though I might try a biker librarian, replacing the thunder hammer's output with Smite, wannabe-Smite and Null Zone to get something against those high-invul units. A few of those ruined my last tournament game, so I'll try out stuff to fill that gap.

I know the scoutbikers will be rather worthless against a 4 leviathan list, but I always write my list regardless of target, to make sure I know what to do if things don't go as planned. And I know the leviathan list is not intended as hard counter to mine, as we discussed that list months ago after the last tournament.

That's awesome gallenphillips. I've been toying with the idea of building my list up to not run any vehicles. They serve a purpose but the CT's that the RG gets seems like it could and would make them as survivable as all the wounds that vehicles have.

Another thought with that is that if the opponent has a lot of high damage weapons they can almost be wasted on infantry. Rather than your predator or landraider losing 6 wounds to a single las canon you're losing a single model with 1-2 wounds and the rest of that damage is essentially 'wasted'. While you're still losing models it may play into the mental game and frustrate your opponent since his weaponry is being squandered on 'lesser' targets.

That's awesome gallenphillips. I've been toying with the idea of building my list up to not run any vehicles. They serve a purpose but the CT's that the RG gets seems like it could and would make them as survivable as all the wounds that vehicles have.

Another thought with that is that if the opponent has a lot of high damage weapons they can almost be wasted on infantry. Rather than your predator or landraider losing 6 wounds to a single las canon you're losing a single model with 1-2 wounds and the rest of that damage is essentially 'wasted'. While you're still losing models it may play into the mental game and frustrate your opponent since his weaponry is being squandered on 'lesser' targets.

Part of my current concept. Power armour in cover get that sweet 2+ on top of being harder to hit, and still dead cheap (depending on weaponry). Frustrating enough...in a 6 player game, my direct opponent refused to fire at them, as even tacticals became extremely rare to die against lasguns, and the apothecary just brought them back. Rather shoot at the necron warriors, those stayed down longer...

I've used fewer and fewer vehicles since 8th edition hit. Dakkabacks are still great, but if you only bring a few of them, they are going to soak up every AT weapon around. One vehicle is just wasted points (against usual AT), two might survive a round or two, and more could actually work. Or just field infantry/bikes etc., that way anything above 2D is wasted. Those just need a different delivery system instead of vehicle transports, be it deep strike/jump pack/SftS/Issodon. Downside: Dakka spam (like the mentioned quad leviathan/whirlwind list) will go through your army way harder than a usual TAC list. That's one reason I'm currently trying grav cannons instead of lascannons for AT, their number of shots and D3 damage will ruin infantry/heavy infantry just as well as vehicles.

It's been a slow couple of months for the 5th Company due to holidays and overall attention devoted to other pursuits (CURSE YOU ONLINE GAMING).

Otherwise, it's been TOO :cuss: COLD (TMFC) in the basement to get any work done, but that doesn't mean I can't stay awake thinking about the hobby ... :dry.:

I have this RT-era "Spartan" tank taking space and I really want to do something with it (pics are in my plog on this forum, linked from my sig ^_^).  Seeing how the VDR for Land Raiders was woefully lacking from potential and that the model simply won't make a reasonably convincing Spartan (thank you FW) OR a Land Raider, then I have an idea ...

My own version that is totally illegal that will keep the model where it is: in a box.  The only difference will be that it gets the Raven Guard paint :wub: !

SO ... how about a Land Raider with a Laser-Destroyer in the hull and sponson Assault Cannons?  Why?

• I have a single FW Rapier kit that will not be used but I don't want to get rid of,
  • Spare Assault Cannon bits from Land Speeders and I simply adore the Assault Cannon.

Tah dah ^_^

I could probably post this idea in my log but I'll save a more substantive entry for that.

My Raptors have seen some actions against the hated Tau. I've tried the Issobomb (props to MajorNese!) and it worked very well. I lost the game by a point and on the dice roll for 6th turn. Had the game continued, I would have tabled my opponent since he only had three characters left in play, and two of those were markerlight spotters.

• 3 weeks later...

Game-play wise my Raptors have not done anything for personal reasons. Now as far as units well here is what I have:

++ Unbound Army (Faction) (Imperium - Space Marines) [640 PL, 10810pts] ++

+ Fast Attack +

Assault Squad [11 PL, 160pts]: Jump Pack
. 9x Space Marine
. Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Chainsword

Assault Squad [11 PL, 160pts]: Jump Pack
. 9x Space Marine

Assault Squad [9 PL, 130pts]
. 9x Space Marine

Assault Squad [9 PL, 130pts]
. 9x Space Marine

Attack Bike Squad [3 PL, 47pts]
. Attack Bike: Heavy bolter, Twin boltgun

Bike Squad [5 PL, 81pts]
. Biker Sergeant: Chainsword, Twin boltgun
. 2x Space Marine Biker w/Bolt Pistol: 2x Twin boltgun

Bike Squad [5 PL, 85pts]
. Biker Sergeant: Power sword, Twin boltgun
. 2x Space Marine Biker w/Bolt Pistol: 2x Twin boltgun

Inceptor Squad [10 PL, 135pts]: Assault bolter, 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant

Land Speeders [6 PL, 80pts]
. Land Speeder: Heavy bolter

+ HQ +

Captain in Gravis Armor [7 PL, 134pts]: Boltstorm gauntlet, Master-crafted power sword

Chaplain [5 PL, 79pts]: Plasma pistol

Librarian [6 PL, 96pts]: Boltgun, Force stave

Librarian in Terminator Armor [9 PL, 130pts]: Force stave, Storm bolter

Librarian in Terminator Armor [9 PL, 130pts]: Force stave, Storm bolter

Primaris Captain [6 PL, 91pts]: Master-crafted auto bolt rifle

Primaris Captain w/Power Fist [6 PL, 106pts]: Plasma pistol, Power fist

Primaris Chaplain [6 PL, 85pts]

Primaris Librarian [7 PL, 101pts]: Force sword

Primaris Lieutenants [5 PL, 74pts]
. Primaris Lieutenant: Master-crafted auto bolt rifle

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 180pts]: Bolt rifle, 9x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 180pts]: Bolt rifle, 9x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

Scout Squad [10 PL, 177pts]: 9x Camo cloak
. Scout Sergeant: Chainsword, Sniper rifle
. 9x Scout w/Sniper Rifle: 9x Sniper rifle

Tactical Squad [9 PL, 130pts]
. 9x Space Marine

. 9x Space Marine

. 9x Space Marine

. 9x Space Marine

. 9x Space Marine

. 9x Space Marine

+ Dedicated Transport +

Drop Pod [5 PL, 85pts]: Storm bolter

Drop Pod [5 PL, 85pts]: Storm bolter

Repulsor [16 PL, 287pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Auto Launchers, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Icarus Ironhail Heavy Stubber, Ironhail Heavy Stubber, 2x Krakstrom Grenade Launcher, Twin heavy bolter

Repulsor [16 PL, 287pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Auto Launchers, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Icarus Ironhail Heavy Stubber, Ironhail Heavy Stubber, 2x Krakstrom Grenade Launcher, Twin heavy bolter

Rhino [4 PL, 72pts]: Storm bolter

+ Heavy Support +

Devastator Squad [8 PL, 165pts]
. Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword
. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Lascannon

Devastator Squad [8 PL, 165pts]
. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Missile launcher

Devastator Squad [8 PL, 105pts]
. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter

Devastator Squad [8 PL, 149pts]
. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Plasma cannon

Hellblaster Squad [16 PL, 330pts]: Plasma incinerator
. 9x Hellblaster
. Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

Hellblaster Squad [16 PL, 330pts]: Plasma incinerator
. 9x Hellblaster
. Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

Land Raider [19 PL, 356pts]: Twin heavy bolter, 2x Twin lascannon

Land Raider Crusader [16 PL, 308pts]: 2x Hurricane bolter, Twin assault cannon

Predator [9 PL, 130pts]: Predator autocannon

Predator [9 PL, 130pts]: Predator autocannon

Vindicator [7 PL, 125pts]

Whirlwind [5 PL, 104pts]: Whirlwind vengeance launcher

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Raven Guard

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad [6 PL, 117pts]: 2x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant, Flamestorm Gauntlets

Aggressor Squad [6 PL, 111pts]: 2x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant, Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Chapter Ancient [4 PL, 76pts]: Power sword

Primaris Ancient [4 PL, 69pts]

Primaris Apothecary [4 PL, 68pts]

Redemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 207pts]: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, Heavy flamer, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Icarus Rocket Pod

Reiver Squad [10 PL, 180pts]: Combat knife
. 9x Reiver
. Reiver Sergeant: Combat knife, Heavy Bolt Pistol

Reiver Squad [10 PL, 180pts]: Bolt Carbine
. 9x Reiver
. Reiver Sergeant: Bolt Carbine, Combat knife

Terminator Assault Squad [12 PL, 190pts]
. Terminator Sergeant: Lightning Claw (Pair)
. 4x Terminator w/x2LC: 4x Lightning Claw (Pair)

Terminator Squad [12 PL, 192pts]
. Terminator Sergeant: Power sword, Storm bolter
. 4x Terminator w/PF: 4x Power fist, 4x Storm bolter

+ Fortification +

Aegis Defense Line [4 PL, 75pts]

Aegis Defense Line [4 PL, 75pts]

++ Unbound Army (Faction) (Imperium - FW Adeptus Astartes) [10 PL, 195pts] ++

+ HQ +

Lias Issodon [10 PL, 195pts]

++ Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (Imperium - Imperial Knights) [27 PL, 556pts] ++

+ Lord of War +

Knight Crusader [27 PL, 556pts]: Avenger gatling cannon, Heavy flamer, Heavy stubber, Ironstorm missile pod
. Rapid-fire battle cannon w/ heavy stubber: Heavy stubber, Rapid-fire battle cannon

++ Total: [677 PL, 11561pts] ++

That's a LOT of Raptors.

It is a collection that has grown since 5th edition. At first in that edition I wanted to play Black Templar then other chapters as the successive editions came out. 

How many of them are painted though? :laugh.:

Show us ya pics! :wink:

Like I Said above some are painted but I need to strip em all and redo. Easy paint scheme unless anyone knows if hydro dipping would work. and how do you strip paint off your models? 

dang man i think you have more planned than me.......

I had no plan at all. Now I have enough to field a battle company and all terminator company lol.