What have your Raven Guard done lately?

mertbl

Took my list from elsewhere in the forum against the bugs tonight. Failed a charge, for shredded. Still able to pull out a victory. Thunder hammer vanguard were awesome, Shrike with "Might of heroes" was an absolute killer.

The army is pretty CP thirsty, used 7 during deployment alone.

Got killed by hive guard in a corner I couldn't touch. Need some sort of counter battery fire. Any suggestions?

Hive Guard in the corner? Ugh. Problem is Tyranids have so many options it’s tough to give advice without seeing the table ... which of course won’t be the same second time around.

WW Vengeance is the way to get counter artillery fire in. T6 means you need plasma strength or heavier to rely on the to wound roll. I’d have to use Inceptors and hope I had cleared the screens with the Aggressors SftS unit. If they aren’t screening the Hive Guard then just SftS and/or DS and make them pay for it.

• 1 month later...

Was supposed to have a 1300 point trainer game against a new player but he cancelled last minute. Random guy at the shop happened to have 1350 points of deathwatch. He made the watchmaster a watch captain and we played an open war game.

Very bloody.

Beacon angelus and teleport homer makes them very quick.

Game ended in a draw as neither of us was able to get to the one objective.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a great time yesterday playing in the narrative Space Hulk mission. I have some critiques of the event but I’ll keep them to myself for the time being. I’m thankful to have gotten to participate and it was a lot of fun. It was a very lopsided game as there were ~ten imperium players and only three chaos players. There was however enough tyrranids to go around and much blood was spilled.

We played on a beautiful zone mortalis board that a guy who frequents the store owns. It was Hammer and Anvil deployment with spawn nodes for the nids being placed randomly throughout the cooridors.

Basic rules for the event was 5 terminators and a terminator HQ. Each model was it’s own unit and there were random conditions that could occur each round (which weren’t that exciting). Three models had to start on the board and the other three could be brought in at any time. Goal was to kill everything and have fun doing it.

Hidden Content
vTXwTFL.jpg

Imperium deployment. We mostly deployed as far forward as we could.

Hidden Content
CcdS0zf.jpg

I started with my captain, heavy flamer, and a regular bolter on the board.

Hidden Content
1F8EpVz.jpg

Moving out! The Blood Angels deployed behind me and made sure to cover our six as we advanced through the hulk (and they did a great job).

Hidden Content
pUf7UUh.jpg

I was proud as my Veterans became the spearhead of the right side of the board. They valiantly advanced through the corridors and became forward scouts for the rest of the combined might of the Imperium.

By this time my other three terminators had teleported in to assist with the purging.

Hidden Content
LkifSgt.jpg

As we advanced the first nids appeared from their hiding places and began to run towards us.

Hidden Content
lBjqRqq.jpg

A furious melee ensued. A veteran sustained a wound but prevailed through his injuries as his lightning claws ripped through the xenos carapace.

Hidden Content
lyq7csa.jpg

An overview of the Imperium advance. As you can see we were seeing what those guard tactics were all about by swarming the field with bodies…

By this time the Space Wolves were corning several spawn nodes, nids, and the first of many brood lords that we would see that day. They became embroiled in a furious melee that lasted most of the game and claimed all but one of their brave veterans.

My heavy flamer moved to the front to help cleanse the infested hallway and provide molten overwatch for his brothers as they advanced behind.

Hidden Content
XWQXhLZ.jpg

Hidden Content
b9iAOHs.jpg

The nids advanced and amazingly avoided suffering any overwatch casualties… and then promptly made my heavy flamer pay for his positioning by slaying him.

Hidden Content
6U7a8di.jpg

The brood lord threw his head back in joy at seeing his minions slay one of my terminators.

Hidden Content
2gguE47.jpg

The hallway became more infested and a new brood lord had taken the place of the previous one who had been slain by the psychic might of the Grey Knights.

Hidden Content
IJIx2Kg.jpg

But the killzone was set and my veterans were ready.

Hidden Content
oDI25Xj.jpg

The advance on the right flank had stalled as we became bogged down in the hallways. The left flank was able to race through the middle of the hulk to engage the Chaos on the other end. That side was comprised of two squads of Dark Angels and one of Deathwatch. Their combined firepower and minimal xenos threat allowed them to quickly move forward.

A few rooms ahead on the right flank the chaos had finally come out of hiding and began their advance.

Hidden Content
CopDWJN.jpg

After sending round after round of bolter ammunition through the door my veterans raced in to catch the xenos while they recovered from the shock of the attack. Melee combat began and it became a flurry of lighting claws, chain and power fists, and deadly xenos talons.

Hidden Content
FzZqP7a.jpg

On the other side of the corridor that our melee was in the chaos were in their own struggle for victory.

Hidden Content
RNsxZ5J.jpg

A moment of calm as we gathered ourselves for the coming attack on the sorcerer. We had dispatched the tyrranids without further casualties (but many wounds) and readies ourselves.

Hidden Content
WuQyWYj.jpg

The sorcerer, still stunned from wounds taken in his previous engagement drunkenly charged forward. A wound was suffered during my Sgt’s overwatch. He then deftly avoided the charging attacks and responded by deftly beheading the sorcerer with his power sword.

Hidden Content
oNusPg3.jpg

With this final kill the chaos began a swift retreat. The xenos were far and few between as their numbers dwindled. The hulk had been purged and each chapter gathered itself together to head back to their respective bases to ready themselves for the next effort that they would face…

• 3 weeks later...

Had a great game of Kill Team this afternoon. My co-worker came over after he got off. We played Grey Knights vs Raven Guard. My narrative for it was that the RG had established a forward base in a ruined Imperial city. Tszeentch and his minions had been at work and spread false rumors of of a Chaos incursion. The GK's came in to purge but instead set upon the Sons of Corax. A swift and deadly battle ensued between the sentries as confusion and chaos erupted in the night.

It was fun, it was bloody, but ultimately my opponent had a great time in his first exposure to 40k gameplay. He played my RG and I played GK. I did end up winning on the objective but just barely. A few rules were missed and I have yet to play a game with Tactics but I feel that I'm getting comfortable enough with the core gameplay that I can start to sprinkle them in.

Here's an album with pictures of the board we played on: https://imgur.com/a/0cEmPQF

• 2 weeks later...

My son finally built up enough of his Necrons so we played KT this weekend. It was an up hill battle for me as the objective was in his deployment zone right between a deathmark and immortal in cover. I got absolutely crushed which was pretty demoralizing given that it was his first game of KT... I have revamped my list and will give it another shot. I'm hoping he continues to enjoy it because I would like to try and play a campaign with him as I think he'd really enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

So a question for some of you guys...

I played a game on Saturday, pick-up, at my FLGS, 1500 pts.  Nice guy, fairly new, had some eldar.  I asked him "what kind of game are we playing, cut-throat, friendly, fluff, etc?" I can't remember his exact response, but it was somewhere in the neighborhood of "average/medium".

So the list I built was:

Primaris Lt (power sword)

Libby (force sword, plasma pistol)

6 scouts, heavy bolter

6 scouts, combi melta

5 intercessors, power sword

redemptor dread (2x storm bolter, icarus, macro plasma inc, onslaught gatling)

deredeo dread (anvillus autocannon, 2x heavy bolter, atomantic pavaise)

6 aggressors

1 company ancient

10 hellblasters (assault variant)

I SftS the Aggressors (but not the hellblasters), and spammed Wisdom of the Ancients from my Red Dred, Might of Heroes on him to tank shots at T8 with the 5++ from the Deredeo.  The scouts and intercessors formed bubble wrap against deepstrikers (spiders, war walker, etc.)

At the end of the game, I got the feeling by opponent did not think my list was "medium", and rather that it was pretty competitive. What do you guys think?

In the context of the competitive scene? Its medium for sure (its hard for our codex to even put out anything "cheesy" so by that metric it almost defaults to low in this case). That being said, maybe in his mind it was medium for him.

That's the nature of 40k, it means different things to different folks. I think for a newer player in general, the -1 to Hit mechanic creates a negative player experience. A lot of game designers avoid these sort of mechanics simply due to their impact mentally.

Just curious, do you recall what his list was? I would love to see the relative power for the game.

As best I can remember:

Farseer (can't remember gear, but I think Singing Spear

Warlock (can't remember gear)

14 Guardians with a shuriken cannon

12 Guardians

10 Dire Avengers

Wave Serpent w/2 bright lances and  shuriken cannon/catapult

5 Wraithguard with the Str10 flamers

5 Rangers with sniper rifles, camo cloaks

Wrathlord w/ missile/rocket thing

Wraithlord w/ different loadout I don't remember

1 Warwalker with 2 bright lances

I don't remember the name of his Craftworld but it ignored moving and assault penalties and heavy weapon penalties, I believe. I also don't remember his warlord trait or relics.

He won initiative, and made a bad move out of the gate...his Wave Serpent was loaded with farseer, warlock and wraith guard and he moved it backward to claim one of the objectives he had drawn on turn 1 (maelstrom of war mission, tactical escalation).  It was the only thing he had that could move far enough backwards to claim it, and he commited a lot of points to that turn 1 objective.  That put those guys out of position until turn 3

Itvyper is correct, a monofaction SM list isn't really 'competitive' right now. I don't follow the tournament scene closely but when I do look I don't see mono-SM taking a lot of top place finishes.

I don't think your list sounds too cheesy, really it's pretty tame since there's no big vehicles or spammy stuff. Maybe the Dorito dread was too much on top of the redemptor?

Also if he made a bad move from the start I'm sure he felt like he was fighting uphill with an arm tied behind his back the entire game.

Was it a close game or did you blow him out?

Points-wise, it was a close game until the final turn.  We were tied 7-7 up until turn 6, where I scored 4 of the 6 objectives I had, one of which was a 2 pointer, putting it to 11-7 for RG. 

Damage/Killy-wise...no, I almost tabled him. The only thing he had left was the wave serpent with 2 wounds left and 1 ranger.

Yes.  I advised him that his first wave attack was unfocused and incomplete (problem 1) and that he had almost 400 pts in his army (farseer, warlock, 5 wraith guard and wave serpent) that fell back to claim a 1 VP objective (40% of his army).  I told him he should break up at least 1 unit of his Guardians into MSU so he could have a couple backfield scorers.

Oh and I don't want to misrepresent him. It's not like he threw a fit or even mentioned it to me.  I just felt after the game that he thought my army was more than "medium/average". It was just my read on him, though, so I wanted to see what you guys thought.

Edited by 9x19 Parabellum

I think that whilst your list wasn’t cheesy, it wasn’t weak. On the other hand, Eldar may be top-tier, but his list certainly doesn’t read like it would have the upper hand on you from the start.

I’m dreading my first pick-up game because I half-expect to get tabled with the models I have (I buy what I like the look of), but talking the game through with him, without being patronising, should keep the bitter taste from his mouth.

Give it six months and he’ll be wiping the floor with you on his Jetbike/Dark Reaper spam list.

Those lists look like even match up to me?

I had a 2000pt UM vs RG match yesterday playing the CA Maelstrom mission

I enjoyed my opponent who prefers only to play ITC mission moaned the whole time. Probably partially because he messed up his deployment and forgot to deploy a captain (which I offered for him to place when he realised).

Anyhow RG won the exercise Guilliman is going back to the drawing board to analyze his many mistakes.

I too Reivers, my Repulsor and drop pod. It was fun but certainly not competitive! :lol:

I don't think there was any doubt my list was "uncompetitive" it included

• Shrike
  • Repulsor
  • Close combat Rievers 
  • 2x 5 man Tactical squads
  • 5 man melta Sternguard squad
  • Drop pod
  • 5 man grav biker squad
  • 5 man TH/SS Terminators

:lol:

And the Reivers rode in the Repulsor! ^_^

It was fun though! If I had my ASM's painted up I would have played them too! 

Very true. And play to the mission... although it sounds like 9x19's opponent might have erred on playing to close to the mission on turn 1...

I would actually argue he didn't.

Allow me to explain with some more details/illustration.

Let's say, as was the case in this game I played, you start the game with 3 objective markers in your deployment zone.  But for whatever reason, those objective markers are not positioned in places where deploying onto/around them would give you good los, good range, good cover/defense from enemy shooting, etc.

What do you do?

Well certainly it all depends on all the variables of the game: the speed of your units, your opponents stuff, your own stuff, etc.  But I would say, at the least, playing to the mission would suggest deploying on (or within striking distance) of those objectives.  NOT Playing to the mission is disregarding those 3 objectives (and your own deployment relative to them).   In this case, my opponent disregarded 2 of the 3 objectives.  Then on turn 1, he randomly drew one of the objectives that was furthest away, deep in his own deployment zone, and the only thing he had fast enough to claim it was his wave serpent loaded with all his goodies.  His choices then, were:

a.) Disembark all his stuff (wraithguard and HQs), leaving it open to getting gunned down, and move his wave serpent back to claim

or

b.) Don't disembark anything.  Move wave serpent back to claim.

or

c.) ignore the objective this turn

So basically, he changed tactics mid-stride. He deployed as if to NOT play to mission.  Then he moved as if TO play to mission.  Mr. Miyagi comes to mind.  "Walk down road...walk left side - safe, walk right side - safe. Walk down middle: squish like grape."

Edited by 9x19 Parabellum

Got tabled last night vs. Drukhari.  First time I've been tabled in....a long time.

Lists:

Raven Guard:

Primaris Lt (psword)

Libby (fsword, plasma pistol)

10 intercessors

10 intercessors

10 intercessors (power sword)

1 red dread (macro plasma, 2x storm bolters, onslaught gatling, icarus rocket pod)

1 primaris ancient

Drukhari:

Drazor

Lilith

6 wyches, agonizer

6 wyches, agonizer

8 wyches, agonizer

2x5 incubi

1x10 mandrakes

1x5 scourges

3x raiders with dissy cannons

MIssion: Maelstrom of War - Tactical Escalation

Deployment: Spearheads

Initiative: Drukhari

He loaded everything into raiders except mandrakes and scourges and rushed me. Pretty much everything was in melee turn 2 except scourges (mandrakes made their charge off the deepstrike).

This was actually a very good game, and it was close. I think he had 3 incubi, a wych and 2 mandrakes left and I lost my last intercessor on turn 5.  Aside from getting tabled, it was actually pretty close, 7-8 VPs up to that point.

Mostly this was a stress test for using intercessors.  I think they are a really solid troop choice, actually.  What they really need is better support; a better transport, better Librarian buffs and better stratagems, and maybe some different loadout options.  All these things have been said before, of course, I'm just confirming my opinion in agreement with that.

I'm not sure how DE PL works out

However if you were using the beta rules the deep strike reserve rules also apply to transports now

At least I believe thats how its worded

As long as you learn from the loss theres no shame in that! Especially if you're working off the rust ;)