What have your Raven Guard done lately?

mertbl

I use the Macro Plasma.  the 36" range, combined with our chapter tactic, combined with the ability to put him in cover, keeps him alive most of the game for me. 

Saying it was hot garbage was a bit dramatic on my part. My issue stems from the Primaris chassis brings nothing new to the equation, and in some regards only brings a disadvantage.

1) The Macro Plasma is either a :cussty AT weapon or an un-needed GEQ killer in every list I make. D6 shots means it suffers from the same issues Leman Russes do: too much risk in the output for the cost.

2) A Redemptor with Plasma, Gatling, and Storm Bolter (the cheapest config) is still ~30 points more than a Ven Dread with Twin Las and ML. The Ven Dread has better BS, better output for AT damage, and doesn't degrade.

3) While the Redemptor has 5 more wounds, the ability to bracket it is a significant disadvantage against it, imo

I think the Dakka variant is more viable, as its weapon load-out is a more unique package offered. At the end of the day, you're paying for a Dread that has some of its cost invested into Close Combat, which you never want it to be there.

Just my 2 Cents. I do love the model though (I just think it needs to be cheaper, have more weapon options, and possible have an upgrade tier with BS 2+)

My Dusk Crows finally saw some table time, first game of 8th versus Eldar.  My gaming buddy didn't have enough time to write his own list, so I did one for him just to get the game in.

Kept it at 1000pts for simplicity.

Short version, I learned a lot about 8th and lost pretty badly. Turn 5 with just my Librarian and Captain alive. Would have drawn on objectives if the game had finished...unfortunately it did not.

I predicted his deployment and opening moves perfectly - he always plays for a tabling and it's obvious to me what he's going to do.  I plan to draw him in with shooty units (devastator 2xlascannon 2xmissile, 5xtactical w/plasma, 5xscout snipers w/missile, 5xscouts w/h bolter) , then drop my big jump pack element (10 asaault marines, 5 vanguard, captain and librarian) into his deployment and relieve him of the 2 objectives there.

Made a bad deployment mistake - my devastators died turn one as I was wanting good line of sight when I should have been more defensive. They killled his war walker and got me first blood.  He brought his Swooping Hawks and Scorpions in on the side I had left a gap in.  The scorpions essentially did nothing for the rest of the game as they were slower than his jetbikes.  Tactical squad killed 2 hawks with auspex scan.

Turn 2 made some bad charge rolls.  My vanguard and assault marines failed a 9" charge with a reroll each when they came in my captain missed his 10" charge too.  This meant his dark reapers and rangers on objectives lived a turn longer than they should have.

His jetbikes with farseer and hawks killed my tactical squad.  Scout squad with cloaks

Turn 3 Dark reapers and rangers eliminated.  I try popping strats for Hellfire shells to kill one jetbike, roll a one to hit. And I don't kill it with other shooting.  Would have then used flakk missile on his farseer that would have been vulnerable but couldn't shot at bikes instead and missed too. Sniper scouts fail to cause any wounds.

His shooting plus reveal psychic power deletes my sniper scouts and most of my bolter scouts.  But it takes all his firepower.

Turn 4  My jump squads push forwards to take out his jetbike Farseer, warlock and remaining 4 jetbikes. My captain fails his 8" charge, vanguards fail their 7" charge with reroll.  Assault marines make their 6" charge, but need to use a CP reroll to do so and can't get the farseer or warlock in cc. Librarian fails his 7" charge.  Kill 2 jetbikes and get them in combat but...

His bikes just jump out of combat.  His farseer perils with 6's, takes a MW but saves with ghosthelm.  The smite wipes my 4 remaining vanguard despite storm shields. He then starts shooting my assault marines and all but 2 die. Last scouts die.

Turn 5 my guys drop back onto objectives hoping to weather the storm.

His dice and psychics fail him finally - my librarian even managed to deny.  It's at ths point he can't remember if his warlord trait gives a reroll to hit for units within 3" or 6" I look it up to find it's ONE unit within 3". He's been giving his two jetbike units, warlock and farseer rerolls the whole game, honest mistake so we play on.  He kills my assault marines but my librarian survives.  His scorpions fail to charge my captain. We hold 2 objectives each, I have first blood but he has linebreaker.

Game does not end so I concede.

Lessons learned - I need to protect my devastators better.  1000pts on a 6x4 table favours eldar mobility.  Scouts with cloaks are awesome until psychic trickery kicks in.  I can't rely on charges even with rerolls.  Librarian pulls his weight.  My jump captain is good, but I should keep him with the assault marines as they need extra punch.  Vanguard I have to keep them away from Mortal Wounds.

Annoyingly he made lots of mistakes and it didn't matter.  He dropped his reserve units in the obvious spot where I wanted him to. His scorpions did nothing all game, he left his dark reapers and rangers to die unsupported (Although the same could be said of my shooting elements). Most importantly he could have used his jetbikes speed to greater effect several times, as well as negated my -1 to hit better.

His rules error with the warlord trait made some impact, but he was running Biel-tan, so he would have been rerolling 1's with shuriken cannons anyway.

He had 400pts worth left at the end of turn 5 and I had two heavily wounded characters.

Oh but it felt so good to roll some dice again...

Nice! Even though it was a loss, there is nothing like a good game between two friends who can be good sports.

Yep, nothing here going on at the local FLGS. Just a few guys sitting around, reading CA and Vigilus leaks/rumors on their mobile devices. So lame. No point to playing, they say, as it is all about to change. Humbug! How about a nice casual game, just for fun? Lame as :cuss

On the topic of your game. Have you considered bare bones Sternguard? They are my favorite unit to camp near "mistakenly" left open deep strike holes. Their AP-2 Bolters RIP most infantry to shreds.

Also, I recently added a pair of Stalkers to my list, just because of all the Blood Angels, Tau, and Eldar in my area. Hits on 2+ most things with <Fly>, 3+ if Hard to Hit, and 4+ against anything in the ground. Eldar Jetbikes are T4 vs S7, 4+ or 5+ save vs -1AP, and the Icarus Cannons deals 2 damage for each failed save. Yeah, I would turn it to those down a mob of Orks or a swarm of Tyranids any day.

Edited by Jacques Corbin

Great write up. Sounds like you've identified some areas to work on. The one thing that stood out to me was all the long charges you failed. I'm not sure what led to positioning but you didn't list one charge that was under 5 inches. I'd try and work on improving your odds when it comes to declaring charges.

Great point. Yeah, so I am home now. Netflix with my hot young wife, that I met last year after my game with @Acebaur. She is taking a potty break, so I thought I would check my phone.

I still use Assault Marines. With a Jump Captain, I use a squad of 5, with 3 Plasma Pistols and a Power Sword. With a Jump Chaplain or Lieutenant, squad of 10 with 2 Flamers and a pair of Lightning Claws. Although the Lt is redundant on the claws, he is nice for the Flamers.

Lol, Sorry about that. Yeah, seriously. If there are any single 40K players looking to meet a sexy nerdy woman. Arrange a game with @Acebaur or @Race Bannon at Gigabytes on the second Friday of a month. There are some real cuties that show up on those nights for other events. It took me about an hour to narrow it down between my current wife, and that sultry red head that was there in her group. So grateful I chose as I did. Best Veterans Day ever!

So I have a 2 on 2 event coming up in Yorktown next Sunday. It's going to be 1000 points each. I am partnering with my buddy Wade and his Dark Angels. I am to focus on mobility and grabbing objectives, and he wants to focus on firepower and holding backfield objectives. Should be an interesting game. I will post my list and write up(s) after the event.

Yep, nothing here going on at the local FLGS. Just a few guys sitting around, reading CA and Vigilus leaks/rumors on their mobile devices. So lame. No point to playing, they say, as it is all about to change. Humbug! How about a nice casual game, just for fun? Lame as :censored:

On the topic of your game. Have you considered bare bones Sternguard? They are my favorite unit to camp near "mistakenly" left open deep strike holes. Their AP-2 Bolters RIP most infantry to shreds.

Yeah, few people around here play 40k at the moment. Killteam and Blood Bowl are taking over for now, with both a KT campaign and BB league. At least we used the CA waiting time by playing Blackstone Fortress - definitely nice game. Just a word of advice, always take the robot. Our glasscannon-only group got wiped in a rather short time, but with the tanky robot we cleared several strongholds without total losses.

As for sternguard - I think they got 2p cheaper with CA. And CA doesn't change rules except for older beta rules - turn 1 deep strike is still beta only and not official, making sternguard an even cheaper option for the Issobomb or just as a generally useful non-primaris option.

Finished building up the 5 Carbine Reivers and the 500th store LT

Those Carbine reivers are a bit of a pain to build ... I found it awkward to get their left arms on without messing up the shoulder contacts on either side

Just need to get some Shapeways RG logos glued on them now

Also primed my Intercessors from the other day and the LT from the Wake the Dead box

Sooo many LTs... fortunately I think the HQ in the UM box is a CPT?

Speaking of which bought one of the Gravis CPTs from the start collecting box off eBay too

Because I have a problem ... :D

Amusingly I’m trying to pick up Lts with power swords and I have a Gravis Captain I doubt I’ll ever use since getting hold of a couple with powerfiat and plasma pistol. I want an Inceptor Captain but likely going to have to be coverting an Inceptor into counts as Shrike

I'm trying to figure out how to make a Primaris Shrike conversion. I have the model and hate it and never want to complete it.

I'm thinking of seeing how a old Marine jump pack looks on an intercessor model. I'm considering taking the RG Deathwatch model and using the lightning classes and jump pack on an intercessor.

Now that I think about it a Reiver model might be more fitting given Shrike's mediocre stat line...

Yeah, how would Shrike even be as a Primaris? An Inceptor with Lightning Claws?! I mean, Calgar was already kind of a Dakka Aggressor before he got made into a Primaris. Shrike has no Primaris analog.

Still waiting for the Lion and Corax to show up, and be like, "who is that marine, and why is he so different?!" The reaction to "but, my lord, your brother Lord Guilliman, and Archmagos Belisarius Cawl designed and deployed new marines to replace us." will be priceless. Corax already has issues with trying to make new awesome marines, and the Lion, well, I doubt he will be pleased.

Tomorrow I'm playing my buddies Nids using my RG, and we are using new Chapter Approved values.

Going to try:

Primaris Libby (tome of malcador: smite, might of heroes, psychic fortress and null zone)

Primaris Lt (storm of fire)

5 Intercessors

5 Intercessors

5 Scouts

1 Red Dread w/ Macro Plasma

4 Dakkgressors

1 Reuplsor w/ HOGC, OGC, twin las, 3x Fragstorm, 2x Krakstorm, autolaunchers

Plan is to keep everyone close, using Wisdom of Ancients to function like a Captain, storm of fire to add some punch to Aggressors, Might of heroes to boost RedDread to T8, and make liberal use of Psychic Fortress and/or Armor of Contempt to soak smite with the Dread/Repulsor.

Edited by 9x19 Parabellum

The 10th Company of Raptors have their Sprue colored Kill team supporting them as they scream random Monty Python insults at the Grey Crimson Fists andt hat are just out of range of the Raptors.  Also they are flipping off the Metallic PAGKs that are near by them. Pewter Canoness  Athena has reappeared and the Leaders of the Raptors, Grey Knights and Crimson Fists all look at each confused.

Grey Knight Brother Champion Landry turns to Captain Voss of the Raptors 10th Company and says, "Well at least its still on the Imperial Side."

Captain Voss looks over at Crimson Fist Chapter Master Pedro Kantor and asks, "Chapter Master, What can tell us about her?"

"Board the shelf, Marines, like the Deathwatch army that sits on the shelf primed and never touched again, your forces will end of there too," replied Kantor.

"I am Brother Champion Landry of the Grey Knights, I shall not bow before a Canoness of the Adepta Sororitas model." shouted Landry.

"I am the Chapter Master of an Entire Chapter, Brother Champion Landry. I am the one of the Oldest Marine Models in this Collection and I must Bow down before her. She is a Sister of Battle Model from 1997! Pewter Like I am and she has Served His Adepta Sororitas army in various colors and ordos. 21 years she has served our owner. The Sisters of Battle army was 13,000 pts strong before Apocalypse was a thing. While My Chapter my be well over 100 models in various stages, I am still second to the Sisters and I have served him for Decade. So irregardless of your value to our owner was weeks or months ago, Cannoness Athena was higher than you even then!" retorted Kantor.

"Hey your not the only Chapter Master here, Kantor! Crap is that Canoness Athena! Raptors to the Shelf of Waiting.......Voss your company may be full fledge marines by the time he uses us in a game again...Ha ha," Replied a Rock that turned out to be Lias as he got up and walked towards the shelf.

"Raptors 10th Company! Hide and Seek on the shelf. Bonus Points for knocking over the Deathwatch up there without them seeing you," Captain Voss called out to his men. 

"Bah, We are the grey knights we got rules update too." Landry said still upset.

"Brother Champion, I know its sad, but at least you are not the Imperial knight army still in boxes." Kantor said as he placed a red gauntlet hand on Landry's Shoulder.

"Hey we heard that you Red Fisted Jerk" replied that Knight Paladin.

Edited by war009

Someone should check on War009, hes gone full Toy Story.

More Turn Signals on the Land Raider..........if it was Toy Story it be a lot worse.....the few Funko Pops, Marvel Legends, Star Wars toys, gi joes....Sounds like I have kids but nope no kids except me.

So, with Chapter Approved out, my list went down 182 points. That is awesome, but now I have some decisions to make. I mean, that will not me 10 more power armored jump pack ninjas to fill out squads, or 5 Scouts with cloaks in a LSS, or some really wacky ideas that I have. I will post my existing list after work today, and hopefully my brothers can help me decide.