What have your Raven Guard done lately?

mertbl

Going to try and play a couple 750 point Escalation League games tonight. Going on use an Intercessor Battalion, 5 Aggressors, and two squads of Eliminators ... that I need to base coat the heads and get glued to their bases to be ready to play.

I’d take the Aggressors out for Inceptors but I think this is where I start to see units that will start to counter them. Basic idea will be Eliminators and a squad of Stalker Intercessors in the backfield with the Aggressors and two units of Bolt Rifle Intercessors going through the Shadows.

Still in the air in my HQs. Master Chappie is a great force multiplier for Aggressors. Ex Tenebris killed a Chaos Lord last week. I want a Phobos HQ though. I think Master of Deceit could really mess with an opponent deployment set up.

I'm not sure when I'll have time to do a write up but my game last week was probably one of my most enjoyable. Tau won the day but it was closed and I learned a lot. Unfortunately I think I've come to the conclusion that I need more primaris troops in my list. Those will probably hit my paint bench very soon once I finish up the models that are WIP.

Well that was interesting. I still have touch up and detail to do but the Phobo Lt and Eliminators were done enough to take to the store for Escalation. I have pictures of the first game vs Guilliman, couple bodyguards, and two Helverin. I saw the Knights with Bobby G and admit I was a bit frustrated. By time I came back to table with the score sheet I was ready with a plan. As it turns out Raven Guard soak autocannon shots pretty good when in cover +12” away. Second game was against a different 1000 sons player. My Aggressor and Master Chaplain combo finally died but by end of game objective holding won the day.

I am continuing to learn new rules (I didn’t know stacking the +1 To Wound could be a thing with Chappie and RG doctrine) and still need to improve my deployment planning better. I almost let a Demon Prince fly into my gunline because I didn’t deploy well as I should have. I also need to start future planning alternatives for taking on not-horde, but pseudo-horde armies that can effectively block coming out of the Shadows to any location worth dropping in at.

Going to try and grab the Sisters player next week. We are both undefeated and getting beat by him will be a good learning game. He’s the guy running the League so yeah I’m going to take it on the chin I’m pretty sure :)

I am continuing to learn new rules (I didn’t know stacking the +1 To Wound could be a thing with Chappie and RG doctrine) 

Oh by do they ever. When you manage to force a character Knight to take ~75 saving throws from a unit of 6 Aggressors you can then truly feel powered up :ph34r.:

I am continuing to learn new rules (I didn’t know stacking the +1 To Wound could be a thing with Chappie and RG doctrine) 

Oh by do they ever. When you manage to force a character Knight to take ~75 saving throws from a unit of 6 Aggressors you can then truly feel powered up :ph34r.:

Wait, excuse me, what? Those stack? I can have 2+ to wound vs. character Knights on my big Intercessor blobs?

. . . an that's pretty much how I killed Guilliman.

For me the "To Wounds" were at a 3+ on Guilliman. The Helverin were "just" a 4+ with the Aggressors (in the shooting phase, in the melee yeah it was 2+) and/or Stalkers. You start at 5s, the Master Chappie makes it 4s to wound and the RG doctrine makes it 3s against characters. If there's another stack out there it's probably too much an investment or moving part for me. Master Chappie is a CP hungry SoB but I cant tell you what a must have Wise Orator is ... and I have been taking the +1 "To Hit" litany also. Might substitute the +2 inch charge one next week. 

Edited by Dracos

• 3 weeks later...

My Chaplain whiffes so many times with his Litanies I should invest in Master Orator. That and find a way for him to survive turn one...

On another front, my Raptors faced off against their arc-nemesis of the Tau Empire last night. Even though it looked bleak after the initial shooting phase of the enemy (I was going second), my ground forces weathered the storm and allowed my ambushing parties to strike a deadly blow to the Tau army. In one turn I was able to kill two Broadside squads plus two more suits in a third squad in CC, the cowardly hidden Fireblade warlord and brought the Riptide to 2 wounds remaining. Thus effectively broke the back of the opposing force and my opponent conceded at the end of the turn with me being in the lead both in kills and VPs.

Lessons learned : if going for a second turn alpha strike, I should pop smoke on any phobos units present on the field. Always get Master Orator ob the Chappy. Remember the Super Doctrine when firing with 10-man scout snipers squad on the Warlord, it will make my life easier...

My Chaplain whiffes so many times with his Litanies I should invest in Master Orator. That and find a way for him to survive turn one...

I can’t imagine running my Primaris Chaplain w/o Wise Orator. The +1 to hit and wound of the perfect buff for Aggressors and Inceptors. I usually have him dead during T3 or 4. I usually have screened him behind the Aggressors (both SftS). Admittedly I’m just relearning actual tabletop game play.

For instance ...

I played a game last night for our Escalation League against a GSC army. Nice guy was trying bigger squads than he usually plays. He thought it might make them more durable. Pretty much the opposite against my set up though. Man his deployment stuff had me spooked. I took a “minute” trying to figure out how to counter his set up and decided not to put anything in the shadows and just cover the back of the board to refuse his deep striking reserves. (Some pistol character still came in at 3” and shot my Phobos Captain dead.

Even with a medium to heavy terrain set up I was able to shoot most his stuff off the board by T3 when he conceded. I think the heavier terrain might have been a disadvantage actually. Game him less approach options and I plugged his 3 approaches with Aggressors on one edge, two squads of Bolt Rifles on the opposite edge and the Inceptors in the middle all backed up by Eliminators or the Phobos Captain.

I did learn to keep the limit of my auras in mind though. Eliminators were 6 inches up so depended solely on Master Artisan and I had to move the Phobos Captain and ... it’s from the center of the objective not the edge what it’s based on. Good lessons for future me.

(Some pistol character still came in at 3” and shot my Phobos Captain dead.

Hah, that's called a Kelermorph. He is... awesome, and I want one for my Cult. Best character hunter. This lad, yeah?

99070117010_Kelemorph01.jpg

That battle sounds like it was fun - and I might take a page out of your book next time I'm facing down a melee army. I usually like to spam all the deployment tricks Raven Guard have to offer (my army contains a rather copious amount of Phobos models that can infiltrate or deepstrike, plus a deepstriking Chaplain with Jump Pack, plus a spammable deepstrike stratagem) and it gets me too close to those scary assault armies for comfort.

Yeah that’s the Xenos scum ;) ... Tyranids, Harlequins, Orks, as much as I prefer balancing shooting and melee, sometimes your only option is set up a couple kill boxes and hold the line. Not to say a single unit held back to grab an Objective in the opponents backfield after they rushed forward isn’t warranted but that’s a novice opponent that lets that happen.

I often need to remember, “To not do something, just because I can.”

I haven't personally faced the Kelermorph but everything I've heard about him says he is brutal, but usually a suicide character assassin. He gets in, does his job, and then he's shot to bits.

I often need to remember, “To not do something, just because I can.”

This is my big take away so far with the supplement. Just because we have an ability doesn't mean we have to use it.

I entered the game with 8 CP. Used two for Master of Sanctity and another for Token of Brotherhood (Ex Tenebris)

After the game I had 5 CP.

Been using 1 to deep strike the Aggressors and another to Master of Ambush the Inceptors (will use on second set of Aggressors and one on a 3++ relic for Chappie or to Infiltrate the Inceptors I’d I feel a unit must die to shooting T1. Enlightened Tzaangors for instance. I always try and save two for Auspex. In which case I’m trying to get good enough to bait them into range of the Aggressors or Inceptors when on the field T1. Wasted on Eliminator and 5 man Intercessor squads.

Edited by Dracos

• 2 weeks later...

I just played a low-points game with someone who wanted to take a look at 40k.

Killpoints only, my RG against my 1k Sons.

In the end, it was one Tac Marine and two Rubrics locked in combat.

And that Marine flat out punched the two Rubrics to death with his bare hands.

I would say he deserves a promotion!

Just a start to last of the Troops needed to fill out my second Battalion.

med_gallery_7985_14167_88350.jpg

Having the darndest time actually making a final decision on Infiltrator or Incursor. I have the points and actually prefer the look of the former, but the latter seems more interactive and doubling up on daring the opposition to try for a midfield Objective guarded by Haywire Mines and A Deadly Prize, is awful tempting.

• 2 weeks later...

So watcha all doin'?

I'm going to post pics of things I've been doing past week or so while socially distancing myself from friends and gaming.

1) Always the snowflake, I'm creating a Frankenstein-ing unit out of my Incursors/Infiltrator and Reiver models. Reiver heads, Infiltrator backpacks, and Incursor carbine with combat knives. They're mean't to be Incursors, which is why I'm probably putting an Incursor head on the Sgt but that has yet to be determined. I'll have pics of the 8 squad guys tomorrow though.

2) I received my Xenos blade bits in the mail.

3) I now have one for the Grav-Captain. He is probably getting a Reiver pistol holster and an old school powerfist  to match my Aggressor conversions. Still working out the details.

4) The other Xenos blade is for my second Phobos Captain conversion. I'm taking the Phobos Lt. and replacing the knife with the Xenos blade. Then I'm taking the same scanner arm off of the Incursor/Infiltrator sprue I gave my first Phobos Captain conversion. He is getting an Eliminator hooded head and the backpack with the sniper bolt rifle (clipping the stock and silencer). Lastly, I'm stealing an idea from the old school sniper scouts. I'm using green stuff-ing and some tiny zip ties to create a rolled up camo-cloak to stow behind his head atop the Eliminator backpack. I'm looking for a simple Crux in my bits for the Invul save, but I figure thats the last thing I need to worry about. 

5) I have been repurposing an old army carrying case to transport my army with. I bought some new pluck foam and it looks pretty good so far. I had to glue some foam spacers on the two inchers. The Chaplain crozius stuck up a bit high, and the Frankensteins antennas were just high enough I think they were beginning to bend. Which added about 3/4 on an inch the case wasn't designed for. I have it all packed up and see how it works after sitting over night. I'll show pics of that also :)

Best wishes to everyone. We are closed unit May 1st here in Indiana. So yeah, a month of Spring Fever and Lockdown to go before back to work - gah :teehee:

I've been updating progress in both of my PLOG threads but I'm working on my Armiger commission HOWEVER my transfers just arrived in the mail today so tonight I will hopefully be testing them out on one of my Calth marines. If all goes well I'll be gloss varnishing my completed Sicarii and working on transfers when I need a break from painting.

GqdOfPwh.jpg

Since I usually spend my weekends at the FLGS, at concerts (as photographer) or playing in an orchestra, I now have quite a bit of spare hobby time.

Which I tend to spend in the Resin Mountains, preparing for ETL - building, but never going beyond basecoating. And since there's no games to prepare for, I use the time to get those models done that are usually unplayable.

This year's ETL theme - Knights and Titans. And no, knights are not titans, even if some have the same size.

With 1.5 weeks of national lockdown over, the first walker only requires some casted details and bases (once GW delivers those again):

aimg_20200331_1613462ujgq.jpg

And this is neither the biggest one I have on my Pile, nor the most detailed.

More updates will be posted on my AdMech topic, since all of those will have the red gradient scheme from my knights.

So here we are. The last of the infantry units for the Warhawks I need to play at AdeptiCon next year ... assuming there an open spot for us, assuming this years participants get first dibs. Three of the nine Eliminators. I little more detail on these guys. I still need to work inside the hoods and basing is will be done for the whole army in one go.

med_gallery_7985_14167_63128.jpg

I don't know if nine is too many, but these guys are fun to play with and cheap enough if they die it doesn't feel like it ruins the game plan.

Now I need to decide if I'm going to build/use the Centurions or Xiphons I have sitting in boxes collecting dust or maybe go for the Warsuits? Time to play with BattleScribe a bit me thinks :)

So here we are. The last of the infantry units for the Warhawks I need to play at AdeptiCon next year ... assuming there an open spot for us, assuming this years participants get first dibs. Three of the nine Eliminators. I little more detail on these guys. I still need to work inside the hoods and basing is will be done for the whole army in one go.

med_gallery_7985_14167_63128.jpg

I don't know if nine is too many, but these guys are fun to play with and cheap enough if they die it doesn't feel like it ruins the game plan.

Now I need to decide if I'm going to build/use the Centurions or Xiphons I have sitting in boxes collecting dust or maybe go for the Warsuits? Time to play with BattleScribe a bit me thinks :smile.:

I want a Xiphon so badly. They're the only Astartes fightercraft that looks decent.