What have your Raven Guard done lately?

mertbl

Tacticals are going the way of the dodo in favor of my Contemptor Mortis with Twin Las. It'll give me AT, more wounds than the tac squad, higher toughness, and higher strength shots. Now I could consider dropping the redemptor to put the tacs back in but I love that model. I need to read through the rules, secondaries, and pick a mission and then I'll know if I want to do that.

One of my losses last week is perfect example of what 9th is all about. We were about even in secondaries but he grabbed 10 more points of a primaries and took the win .... keeping in mind I killed a bit more than half his army whereas he killed zero knights.

9e is all about grabbing primaries fast and having the ability to stay on them either through brute toughness or replenishing units of ObSec with one after the other as they are killed off by your opponent.

My 3 Aggressors might wipe out 12 drones but that one Firewarrior is going to win my opponent the game

Today my Raven Guard has fought the dread Necrons. It was led into battle by my friend Raho who hijacked it from me and he is having a lot of fun with it. He even promised that he will buy me (read him) the new Primaris Land Speeder since he wants something tough and mobile to tackle enemy armor.

He played the mission Recon Patrol against the Necrons and he lost with a difference of 15 points. To his credit he was the first player that destroyed almost the entire Necron army, earning his opponent some serious Battle Scars.

He is nagging me to paint him the Eradicators so he can field them. Oh, and he got the first taste of psychic power since he managed to kill the Warden with a combination of The Abyss and The Darkness Within.

PS. He got into the habit of bombing an objective every game. Weirdo :rolleyes:

med_gallery_168374_16564_67399.jpeg

My Raven Guard are going into semi-retirement for 9th. I'm working on a force of Knights of the Raven. 

Because: 

1) The Bladeguard Veterans, and the LT and Captain from Indomitus have an aesthetic that seems to me more appropriate for a Chapter called Knights of the Raven. 

2) There is very little lore about how they fight, so I won't feel like I'm being un-fluffy using heavy tanks and such. 

3) Their base color is Leadbelcher, which comes in a spray. That means I'll be able to get through some of my backlog in a hurry (after I decide what I'm allocating to the KOTR and what is staying Raven Guard). 

I can't swear here so I don't feel like I can quite convey how last night's game went but: I got absolutely <EXPLETIVE> destroyed last night. I went second and was tabled by the top of T3. I scored 5 VP for the whole game and my opponent probably ended up around 70 but there was no point in rubbing salt in the wound. I think I killed 5 models the whole game.

The game was not enjoyable at all, but that's not my opponent's fault. We had a good talk afterwards and I had already identified a few mistakes I made during the game. It was a learning experience to be sure.

Lessons learned:

The game was lost in deployment - I put both dreadnoughts in the open instead of hiding them behind obscuring buildings. I lost my redempter T1 and my contemptor T2, that was 33% of my points. I think next time I'll only bring one and have more bodies on the board. I also didn't pay attention to my infiltrators and put the squad with the helix adept in the wrong place. I had intended for it to be on an objective that would get pressured so it could heal and instead it was in my backfield.

I think MoA isn't that great in smaller games. The board is so small that the reposition isn't really worth it and I'd be better served taking something else.

I need more painted units (because my rules). I don't have the best tool set right now since my inceptors are being repainted and none of the indomitous stuff is done. Having some of those painted up will allow me to have some stronger options to field.

I'm very 'meh' on marines right now. The more I look at indomitous models the more and more I don't like them so I'm not motivated to paint them. I'm also miffed that I need another codex after only using the previous one a couple times (I get why, but still not happy about it). I think I'll probably shift my focus to my nids for the time being because they're different and I'm taking a very hard look at Star Wars Legion to take a break from 40k. The last several games I've played I keep thinking 'this isn't that fun'. I hate I Go You Go and much prefer Kill Team's activation system. Legion is similar as is Bolt Action and I really enjoyed my demo game of Bolt Action that I played previously.

Sorry to hear that, man. Never feels good to lose much less get crushed. I've found things like that (obscuring terrain) to be the type of thing you just need to get games in to make yourself remember. I got tabled super quick yesterday playing Zoanthrope-heavy Tyranids against Grey Knights in Combat Patrol, just randomly probably the worst matchup but I learned a lot about Warriors and it was fun to try a new army. TTS is good for getting those reps in.

Today I have fought against my Raven Guard. We have played the Recon Patrol mission and I have defeated the beaky boys fair and square, or not. In all honesty I had luck with my save rolls during turn 2 when the RG opened with all their guns on my characters and when my Maulerfiend arrived two turns before the RG Aggressors and Inceptors. The battle was an uphill one when I have managed to push across the board at turn 2 and box the Raven Guard in their deployment zone. Still by the end of the game the RG lost yes, but they have managed to earn far more experience than my Black Legion, despite the two Marked for Greatness I have earned from the mission.

Some highlights of the game:

med_gallery_168374_16564_176980.jpeg

Here my Greater Possessed has managed to hold the Redemptor in close combat for almost three turns. In the end my Master of Possession killed the stubborn ancient with a dastardly Smite.

med_gallery_168374_16564_38311.jpeg

Here is the last turn of the game for the Raven Guard. The Eliminators have scored three wounds on my Dark Apostle and frustrated that the heretic escaped retribution they have charged him in close combat and killed the priest of the Dark Gods.

The game was a blast and the Black Legion won very much due to luck. I dread to face my Raven Guard again with the new codex.

• 2 weeks later...

Took on an Ork army today. Very friendly but competitive cagey player. Good game. I'll post pics and summary in my Warblog this weekend. I didn't have an answer to his Battlewagon with my current list and the planes did their jobs before my guys could take them out. Good news is I was able to take out the soft part of his list with Inceptors and Aggressors. While they did that my 6 ObSec units maxed the Primary. I can't stress enough the importance of having a plan for maxing the Primary. Because as it turns out even crippled the Orks stayed real close in the Secondaries. Like I said cagey player. He did a great job of manuvering his units and conserving what forces he had left. Last turn I went narrative and had Shrike assault his last bomber. The Eliminators and Inceptors has stripped some wounds off of it earlier and of course it blew up when Shrike brought it down with his lightning claws.

Fun game closer than it looked after Turn 2 and 3. Lesson to never quit looking for a way to either widen the lead or close the gap, because if you can max primaries the game can twist on the secondaries.

• 2 weeks later...

This week I played my first one and a half full games of Wh40k in ~15 Years! Woop!:happy.: Because of the lockdown/restrictions the games were played online using TabletopSimulator. 9th ed SM codex +RG supplement, using 9ed rules.

Raven Guard vs. TAU

Battle size: Incursion 1000pts

Mission: Centre Ground (#3 mission from the rulebook) http://games-workshop.ru/wh40k9ed/the-rules/matched-play/#Centre-Ground

The first game ended on turn 2 due to time constraints. The second game lasted for full 5 turns ending with a 53-55 vp loss to TAU. My opponent was luckily more experienced and guided us through the game.

My list had :

Battalion

- MoS & MoA Chaplain w/Jump pack, Raven's Fury

- Shrike

- Incursors x5

- Intercessors x5 w/ PF

- Tacticals x5 w/ Grav-cannon

- Vanguard Veterans x 6 (LC,SS,TH)

- Plasma Inceptors x3

- Eradicators x3

I did get the first turn in both games and got an Alpha Strike with the Chaplain and VVs. The full game was a close one with Raven Guard having only 3x Intercessors left and the enemy with a few Pathfinders, a Devilfish, a Crisis Suit and Commander Farsight.

Take aways:

-ObSec is really, really important

-Small tablesize (44" x 30") meant that there wasn't much space to Deep strike/Strike from the shadows

-You don't have to Alpha srike just because you can

-Keeping your scoring units alive is more important than trying to kill all of the enemy units

-Eradicators aren't as mobile as I would need them to be

-Plasma Inceptors can take out units even without overcharging them

With these in mind I have adjusted my 1k list by changing the detachment from Battalion to Combat Patrol.

-I will lose the Chaplain (I feel Shrike is more important) and take a Primaris Apothecary instead. He'll be the Warlord with MoA and Rites of War (obsec aura) and Vox Espiritum -relic. With these he'll giving a 6" FNP-aura and a 9" ObSec-aura with the possibility to heal d3 and use 1cp to Combat Revive a model.

-Take out the VVs and take 5x Bladeguard veterans instead. These will be painfull to deal with if they have ObSec, FNP and the possibility to revive dead models

-Increase to 4x Plasma Inceptors

-Take out the Eradicators and add in 2x Multi-melta Attack bikes.

With these changes I will have more ObSec, better survivability and more manouverable AT/Elite killing firepower :smile.:

Edited by Jaipii

My Raven Guard gathered today, on the Day of Crows, to pose for the group picture at the conclusion of the local A Tale of Many Warlords event.

med_gallery_168374_16564_135755.jpg

What you see has been painted in the past 12 months. Some models need to have the decals applied but I am quite proud of what I have achieved. Having a deadline helped me to put 100 Power Level of Raven Guard on the table.

But this is not the end. Tomorrow, on the Day of the Chosen Slain, the new season of the Warlords challenge begins and this is what I plan to paint till the end of the year:

med_gallery_168374_16564_8497.jpg

For Corax!

Had a game against Guard last night. My 8e list doesn’t have any AT so 3 Lemans and a Hellhound had to be out maneuvered. Finally a game both Chapter Tactics was helpful. He also had like 6 characters, so besides a fun scrum with a blob of ogres the game went as expected.

I just finished up an Invictor, fun to paint, and offers some good opportunities to magnetize options. And are those Inceptors on Aggressor legs? or did you just modifying their pose to get a straighter stance?

The Inceptors are from the Dark Imperium boxset and what I have done is to glue them on the base, foregoing the fidgety stands which broke one too many a time. 

The Aggressor are behind the Inceptors are of the Easy to Build type. With 9th the Flamestorm Gauntlets are the better choice so I did non invest in the multipart kit. 

Overall my collection is composed by the Dark Imperium, Shadowpear and Indomitus boxsets along with the Easy to Build kits and some multipart kits like the Invictor, the Incursors and the Intercessors which I have yet to build.

In time I will paint what I have but save for some kits I am interested into, like the Thunderstrike Storm Speeder I think that the three main boxsets will be my entire Raven Guard collection. 

• 2 weeks later...

There's something different about that marine I can't quite put my finger on... the pose is awesome.

He's Primaris from the waist below and the shoulder pads have been raised a bit (there's some green stuff between the shoulder and the shoulder pad to increase the proportions). Otherwise he's a mix of Firstborn bits (Tactical, command squad and Vanguard Veteran bits). ;)

Edited by Jaipii

• 1 month later...

Since Christmas I gave a Sisters player his first game of 9th. Veteran player of 2-8e but mindset very entrenched with previous editions and salty about abundance of Primaris models. Felt bad seeing someone love for the game tied to previous educations.

Played as the OpFor in a game for necron player. He was testing the Silent King with the Silver Tide. Holy Chrostmas bells and whistles. I’ll be bringing a unit of Eradicators next game (any game) I play but raining dakka on your opponent still proves to be pretty good. Necrons are gonna be ugly in hand of a meta player.