What have your Raven Guard done lately?

mertbl

Building and painting. The contents of the Dark Imperium box are almost ready for basecoating, just need more gear, pouches, grenades and double mags. The ancient is half painted, the assault sqaud I vowed got all but 3 painting steps. Trying to get more stuff finished, in case I get an opportunity to play on friday.

Played 3 games yesterday. 1250p against tyranids to try out the rules. Got wiped turn 2, nids and locking stuff in CC is extremely powerful. The other 2 were 500p games against eldar (mostly rangers) to try out our campaign starter units. Well, jump captain with relic blade/MC boltgun is really scary (while thunder hammer is undoubtably better), and assault squads are now fun too. Both times I wiped out the eldar, first time without much losses (positioning error on the eldar's part), the second time was a close call, when the illum zar with one wound faced off against 3 tacticals. Plasma is scary, but well-placed bolter fire took the last wound both times.

Now I just need to paint some more for the campaign, including finishing the assault squad for both the first campaign round, and the Hidden Hands vow. And put the finishing touches on the banner primaris, for a local store birthday painting competition next saturday.

What have my Raven Guard done lately?

Shown me that 8th edition is absolutely awful without scrapping the setup I have currently, and starting from scratch, by spamming plasma yet again...

Sorry for the rant here, but my themed, fluffy list is absolutely awful against just about anything I face these days.

Increased points costs on vehicles deny you the body numbers you need, getting to turn 2 is almost impossible, and beyond that is a joke, and turn 1, non-scatter reserves are awful. No ifs, ands, or buts.

I'm genuinely at a crossroads here now. Do I scrap the hobby? Keep collecting, painting, and hoping for a better game system, or what?

(If this should be a new thread, feel free to split it apart)

Ah well. The Ravenspire echoes with the sounds of Raven Guard pondering their next move.

Whats wrong with tanks DSS7?!

(former usmc tanker)

Lol

Semper FI !!!! oh was in an LVT-7A1 that sort of sank .  Today a combat squad of Death Eagles was produced along side some Black Talons .

Ah say no more, did a beach landing training exercise in Cali with a unit of them, saw first hand how they preform haha.

@Damo1701  just do what i've been doing bud and just collect. Or try to adapt. How i couldn't tell ya, maybe just try doing narrative play? That's always interested me, and what i plan on doing when i get a force set up. But who am i to know, i wouldn't scrap the hobby though, never know what will come... plus you'll probably miss it too much lol :biggrin.:

What have my Raven Guard done lately?

Shown me that 8th edition is absolutely awful without scrapping the setup I have currently, and starting from scratch, by spamming plasma yet again...

Increased points costs on vehicles deny you the body numbers you need, getting to turn 2 is almost impossible, and beyond that is a joke, and turn 1, non-scatter reserves are awful. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Well, my first game against someone with experience was as one-sided as it gets, for the reasons you list. But it was educational (I specifically asked for the new mean tricks), the following games went far better. Deployment, measuring distances to prevent deep strikers etc. are now entirely different to 7th, that needs some games to get it right.

Today a long-thought lost pattern of weapon was returned to service. Tech-adepts have worked day and night (mostly just nights), and have successfully reverse-engineered a STC for the Kiavahr pattern Sniper Rifle. Mass-production of this weapon to equip eligible Scout units begins in the morning:

62Sqd_3_SniperRifles.jpg?raw=1

...Basic English translation: I learned how to cast in resin, and can finally get my sniper scouts in a position to vow for Hidden Hands of the Emperor, yay!