Veteran snipers - What heavy weapon?

Inso

I would like to add a veteran squad to my army and equip them with camo-cloaks (full ghillie-suits) and snare mines. The special weapons will be 3 sniper rifles because I want to put together a forward observation unit.

One thing I definitely want to add is a heavy weapon (which will also get the full camo look) and was wondering...

With a sniper unit like this, which heavy weapon would you choose and why?

Are you asking for gaming purposes, or fluff purposes?

For fluff, I would say a mortar. Easily portable, tracks with the mission of long-range harassment, and won't immediately give away their position the way other support weapons would.

For gaming, I'd say an autocannon, as it profile is complementary against the types of units you'd likely be trying to snipe.

Are 3 sniper rifles worth it? Marines can take units of up to 10, but you don't really see that happening often. Is it better to take punchier special weapons?

That said, I've never used snipers so YMMV.

Dallo

Missile launcher perhaps? Basically, something which synergises well with the sniper rifles (i.e. wants to shoot at the same target) but I suppose that does depend on what you're hunting...

I have a forward sentries veteran squad with 3 snipers and a lascannon team (modeled as an anti materiel sniper rifle)  They usually camp an objective for the whole game, often close to a backfield command squad.  Give them tank hunter or monster hunter through orders and they have done more work than any of my more expensive melta/plasma mechanized infantry squads.  You might say the lascannon is too long range to synergise with sniper rifles, but I find the sniper rifles don't scare my opponent enough to focus much fire on the squad.  They end up being a comparatively cheap, survivable (in ruins) unit that flies under the radar but has enough sting to pay for itself many times over.

Thanks for the input everyone smile.png

The background behind this unit is:

I want to have a forward observation unit in full ghillie-suits because... GHILLIE-SUITS! The obvious choice would have been a special weapons squad but unfortunately, they don't have the camo-cloak option so I have opted for veterans.

Now it would be a poor show if my ghillie-suited unit didn't have sniper rifles, comms, lots of binoculars and some suitably themed bravado. This led me to the question: if they are snipers, they don't want to move very much so I may as well use the heavy weapon option. Now, although I go very much for the theme/look of things, I do like to put together fairly useful units (if I can fit them into my fluffy ideas) and originally thought about adding a missile launcher (for the dual target ability) but since I have read some of the ideas here, I am torn between a mortar and a lascannon...

The mortar is very fluffy but it doesn't seem to have the same draw to me, as an anti materiel las-cannon... Hmmm... the Barret of the 40k sniper team...

Now... I use these little tractors in my heavy weapons squads:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Inso/GW%20Squats/SquatWIP18_zps25dbde79.jpg

(From Anvil Industries) and although they have a very nice little mortar version (with a rather nice, lighter tractor unit):

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/image/cache/catalog/Regiments/heavy-weapons/morter-uc-tractor-800x800.jpg

They don't have a las-cannon... but DO have a phase cannon version...

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/image/cache/catalog/Regiments/heavy-weapons/heavy-phase-uc-tractor-400x400.jpg

Oh decisions, decisions...

Great minds they say ...msn-wink.gif

i have bought from anvil exactly what you have displayed here, to use as tracked Hvy weapons in my guard army(i want them to be more hi tech than the grim dark look guard presently have) so opted to have their weapons all on self propelled tracks. I did notice the "Phase Cannon" makes a very more tech looking Las cannon alternative wub.gif

i love the idea of having Mortar support (for when it hits the fan and they need suppressing cover fire to deny an enemy advance while they pack up to bug out).

...But i can see the Merit of having the "Our rounds are ineffective on this target,break out the BFG! las cannon hvy sniper (which kinda reminds me of that American Marine sniper (Vietnam era) Carlos Hathcock who used to sometimes use a Browning .50 Cal with a scope attached to snipe far away targets,he was skilled enough to be able to gently push the butterfly trigger on the .50 so it only fired a single shot!, that's a modern day Las-cannon sniper rifle cool.png

Your Armies looking sweet!

cheers, Mithril

I have come to a decision :)

Mortar and las-cannon.

Get both, ghillie them up and decide which one to add, for different occasions.. That way I can cover all my bases.

Sorted :)

They will be next on my list, after the platoon I am working on at the moment (I just need to sculpt 50ish arms and hands, insignia and a few small details):

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Inso/GW%20Squats/SquatWIP147_zpsla3mi6pk.jpg

The prior military in me just can't keep from speaking up.

On a fluff note, 3 sniper teams working in concert together can be an absolute nightmare.  Sometimes, though, the mission brooks something that sends off a different style of letter ('A sniper round sends a personalized letter; a machinegun or light ordnance is more 'to whom it may concern'').  Mortars are definitely an option, though from a tactical standpoint poses a danger to the team as it does to the enemy; trajectory can be tracked and marked down to a general grid area which then exposes the teams emplaced there.

A LMG or anti-material weapon is definitely welcome in those situations where fire-and-relocate are not a tactically viable option.  You pose a danger to anyone brave enough to poke their head above a picket, as well as light-to-medium vehicles that may range in your direction or provide a target of opportunity.

Fluff note suggestion? Lascannon or autocannon, an excellent alternative to light ordnance, and a danger to more choice TOO's (targets of opportunity) that have a high(er) armor value.

Min/max/metagaming-note suggestion? Eesh, snipers are kind of weak.  Some scouting sentinels might do you better.

I have Sentinels... I really want some snipers in ghillie suits... 

I guess mortars are more of a jungle option as they would be harder to track...

Hmmm... Well I am set on a las-cannon at any rate :D

Real life be Damned! I want to see both in some kind of foxhole basing. smile.png

Well... I guess it would be rude to order just one heavy weapon from Anvil industries...

As for Ratlings, my army is plastic/resin only... and there aren't many plastic/resin halfling riflemen out there (I will not buy failcast... so don't mention that). I suppose I could always sculpt my own... Hmmm...

... but not until I have my veterans finished :)

The mention of sniper teams brings to mind one idea:

Model some of the squad as dedicated spotters for each of the shooters.

I did this for my sniper special weapon squad:

Hidden Content
gallery_63428_8145_18825.jpg

That was always the plan smile.png (I thought it went without saying smile.png ).

I'd consider using the Anvil Negotiator Rifle as a "counts as lascannon" as I don't think anyone could mistake it for a standard sniper rifle and I think it looks awesome.

It's a shame that when I end up gaming again it's going to be primarily GW stores who won't take too kindly to me using other ranges as the Anvil stuff is quite amazing and perfect for building Shadow War teams in particular.

Okay... who was it? Who the heck suggested Ratling snipers?...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Inso/GW%20Squats/Ratling%20Snipers/IMG_1843_zpsnsvqglp5.jpg

Well... that's my sequence thrown out again biggrin.png

Archived