Prot's Shadow War Terrain - Configurations and Scale

Prot

I just managed to get this done a day or two ago and pulled it out for some quick pictures in a couple of configurations with various models for scale comparison.

One possible configuration:

gallery_2760_13040_603923.jpg

- Please note I just threw in my Promethium pipes because they really blend well with the set imo.

gallery_2760_13040_358547.jpg

- Some minor detail. It was a very rushed job so it's far from perfect but very easy to make it playble.

gallery_2760_13040_189919.jpg

It's quite sturdy with the ladders in place.

I was worried at first about how 'modular' it would really be because during the assembly it has a good case of the 'wobblies' in some spots, but the ladder placement actually helps a lot with that, making the individual units pretty independent if you wish.

gallery_2760_13040_424038.jpg

I'm not a terrain expert by any means and I hate assembly but this was super easy even for me.

My goal was to have this put together and painted/fully playable as fast as humanly possible. In my spare time I manged to do this in about two days. One day of assembly, and priming (Sunday). So that was a few hours. Then one evening of doing colour work and washes. I took a break for a late dinner to let some washes dry befor putting on Ryza Rust (a fave of mine... it's even on the Deathguard you see in this picture!)

Thanks for looking. It's a great piece and as we enter a few campaigns locally I'm looking forward to doing more.

+EDIT+

Oops. Forgot one more close up pic:

gallery_2760_13040_323804.jpg

Looks awesome painted man :D I've built mine the same way and I plan on getting some more of the gantry pieces from GW at the weekend (or from somewhere like DarkSphere) to add some extra terrain to my board. Looks like I will have to pick up some relay pipes too!

That looks thoroughly decent to me. I continue to be surprised by how big the kits are, height wise.

May I ask where the scenic mat is from?

Yea the kit has some awesome height to it. That's why I put Magnus in the pics too. It's surprising but really adds to the wasteland/industrial feel to it.

That mat is actually from my favorite mat maker. You can find them at Gamemat.eu. Their quality (graphics too) and shipping has been great. I've used them for a few years now.

Looks awesome! Definitely agree on the pipes - they make a quality addition to the set.

In terms of kit (bar this pipes) is that everything you get in the base box set?

Yes this is the entire kit. I realize in hindsight you can really go to town if you don't want to glue too much together, but I felt this was good considering they are releasing it piece meal in the future.

Honestly aside from rules, I think the Terrain is the big draw in the box. :)

Amazing work as always, Prot! When's the first SW batrep due in? smile.png

Thank you! I appreciate it.

I did a mini-overview of my first GW campaign game over in the Grey Knights section. But to be honest I'm not sure if I'll stick them out. They have 'recruitment' issues I can see being a real problem.

The other campaign I'm in... well I'm basically running it and we have about (I'm hoping) 10 people in it. For that one I have to pick an army yet. I was sure to do Deathwatch until the bad news came down. So I'm in limbo.

Thanks for checking out the terrain. It really is something I'm never fond of doing but these were so easy to bang out in two days and they lend a lot to the 'multi-level' aspect of Shadow Wars. I think people are probably going to enjoy this game for quite a while. It truly allows you to use a lot of armies people wouldn't touch in 40K. It's a great system and just plain fun for expanding what you have.

Can't believe I'm saying this but I'll probably pick up more of the terrain and maybe another mat for it.

What was your technique for getting the terrain to this level of quality this quickly? It's really impressive.

Haha I find getting paid for it helps.  Though Prot churns out masterpieces like this on a daily basis, paid or not!  :D

Archived