DA 8th Edition Info

Ezzeran

Chapter Tactics should be easy enough. Give general units the 'Adeptus Astartes' keyword. This keyword gives some general Chapter Tactics, or it allows you to change the keyword with the keyword 'Dark Angels, 'Space Wolves', 'Blood Angels',.... which gives them their specific chapter tactics.

Specific units, like Thunderwolf or Dark Talons, get their own factions keyword.

yea, guess we'll see, but they mentioned yesterday specifically that marines will still have chapter tactics.

Fair enough - I must have missed that bit! Hopefully they'll apply Grim Resolve (or a new version of it) to the Dark Angels.

To go back to thinking about what this might mean for Deathwing, I see that Warhammer Community has just published a generic terminator profile and they now have two wounds! This seems a fair exchange for an inch less movement - less hope they're placed at an appropriate points value.

I agree with Ezz.

Termies having 2 wounds will not mitigate the decline in the effectiveness of their save now that the 2+ armour save will be affected by modifiers. To say nothing of the fact that lascannons etc. will likely do D3 wounds per shot (or something like that). Not even invulnerable saves (which we're not even sure still exist) will save 2W termies who are frequently rolling saves of 4+ or worse.

Obviously we should wait for all the rules before screaming that the sky is falling, and I'm definitely still excited for 8th. I'm just not convinced that termies will be any good based on the info we have right now.

Edited by Saphrael

IMHO i think we will be able to field deathwing list on "beer & bretzel" play, even by addind a few termies more if we get stomped by a bad cost/effectiveness  ratio or whatever ...

And to be honest thats all what i want, Beer bretzel and deathwing :)

Terminators with 2 wounds, 2+ save and invulnerable save, plus whatever may come means they will be better from the get go.

And 3+ to hit in Cc? Peachy!

But what got me drooling was T7 W8 dreadnought. Not getting one-shot-ed anymore means a great deal.

I'd suspect every marine force will get Chapter Tactics including us at the outset & the chapter bonuses to stay similar to what they are now.

Also a complete halt to our buffs getting passed onto other chapters and loosing chapter buffs if we have an independent Marine Character not from DA join us.

Power creep has gotten out of hand so a complete re-balance has got to come

But what got me drooling was T7 W8 dreadnought. Not getting one-shot-ed anymore means a great deal.

I've never gotten around to painting a Dark Angels dreadnought. I think I have a spare dreadnought I got in a package with other things on its sprue somewhere. It might be time to dig that out!

I've never gotten around to painting a Dark Angels dreadnought. I think I have a spare dreadnought I got in a package with other things on its sprue somewhere. It might be time to dig that out!

I have 6 dreadnoughts so the prospect of putting 48 T7 wounds fot the opponent to deal with makes me very, very happy even knowing there's modifiers and all that stuff. Hehe.

I have 6 dreadnoughts so the prospect of putting 48 T7 wounds fot the opponent to deal with makes me very, very happy even knowing there's modifiers and all that stuff. Hehe.

It's not just the wounds, they'll get bloody armoursaves! And since tactical dreadnought armour saves on 2+ 2D6, I can only imagine how actual dreadnought armour will work.

Greyraven, where does it say we're rolling on 2d6 for saves? From what I've seen dreads have a 3+...

Tactical dreadnought armour is terminator armour. There were rumours terminators would have saves of 2+ on 2d6, so 3+ on 3d6 for actual dreadnoughts would have been hilarious! Too bad the saves will be on 1d6, even though it will benefit the pace of the game. The buff of T5 & 2W is a suitable replacement.

Edited by GreyRavenC

I've gone over to the side of cautiously optimistic. :)

I was really worried we'd see bolters have a -1 ap modifier. Instead it's looking like what we've come to know as AP5 guns will pretty much have no save modifier. Volume of fire may still be an issue for TDA, but I feel a little better about it.

Also it's thematically cool that a terminator can potentially survive a lascannon hit.

I too am wondering how storm shields and invulnerable saves will work in general. Will it simply be a save unaffected by modifiers? That would be a cool way to do it.

Ezz