DA 8th Edition Info

Ezzeran

Had my first 8e game yesterday: ran the DV tac squad (combat-squadded) and Termies+watcher, plus a 2x missile Dev squad, 5-man Black Knights, and a barebones Int Chap on bike; vs grey knights feat. Crowe and all his pals incl a TDA apothecary. My buddy wiped a similar list of DA except standard bikes and DW Knights before, so I was pretty nervous.

The Unforgiven stood resolute until bottom of extended turn 5, at which point I had 2 ML devs standing and the Plasma Cannoneer with a bolter mate against 3 TDA and the apothecary. I got Crowe in my top of turn 4, and the termies took out the Chaplain in the bottom of the same.

The aura buffs might have saved the game. I kept the Chaplain behind the Black Knights to block a rear deepstrike, but couldn't get him up in time to buff them from receiving a charge of daemonhammers and force weapons. The dice did not overly favour my CC. DW power fists were steady and ground down wounds from Crowe. Watcher rejected a Smite that got through, and he turned around to cast Purge Soul and failed with perils(clearly the shock of denial affected the 666).

I was able to use the Devs and the Cannon squad in a tactical Fallback routine to grind down his paladins.

All in all, I'm excited for 8th. Had the book in hand for long enough to compose the list, but Storm Bolters and plasma were beautiful.

I too had my first game today. I had a 50 power level list vs my opponent's 51 power level.

We had to stop at the end of turn 3 because the store was closing.

He had a chaplain (not sure the setup), techmarine on bike with conversion beam, land raider, dreadnought w/ assault cannon & storm bolster, 5 TDA squad. The chaplain hadn't got out of the land raider and the TDA squad hadn't teleported in yet when we had to pack up.

My list was Sableclaw, 2 landspeeders w/ HB/AC, 2 speeders w/ HB/TML, 2 speeders w/ MM/AC, and an attack bike with MM. One of the MM/AC speeders hadn't arrived yet, and Sableclaw was late and didn't get to even shoot.

I killed the dread, and stripped 6 wounds off the land raider and one off the techmarine. He killed 2 speeders.

That technarine was annoying, he managed to repair 7 wounds.

I have changed my mind on speeder squadrons. I never saw the point of them before. Squadron rules were more of a liability for speeders in the past. Now with the grav upwash rule not being tied to advance, they move 20 inches and still fire. If I had run my speeders in squadrons this game I could have gotten around the side to target the techmarine more.

Speeders are more resilient than ever before. Sure they get hurt by lascannon shots, but what doesn't? One of my speeders survived a charge from the techmarine and land raider.

Overall I'm happy with the new edition.

Its a bit odd Dark Angels can't take a Chapter Ancient, when there is a Dark Angels mini  currently avaliable with the chapter banner.

Looking at the Index - we can take a Company Ancient (this is the PA one i'm assuming you're refering to as the Chapter Ancient - or i'm missing the point lol), a Primaris Ancient, Deathwing and Ravenwing Ancient.  So by my count that should cover all the different types we'd need?

There's a difference between a company ancient and a chapter ancient, the former being the banner bearer of a company, the latter bearing the holy chapter banner, like e.g. the old Banner of Devastation.

Seems like an oversight to me.

Taking a closer look at my Index, and comparing Company and Chapter Ancients in the Adeptus Astartes list, the onlywargear difference is that the Company Ancient has a bolt pistol and more options in the melee weapons and pistols list, while the Chapter Ancient comes with a Power Sword, costs 9 points more and has less options than the Company Ancient (both cost the same Power).

Their respective banners also have the exact same rules, making the Company Ancient strictly better in terms of points costs (power sword is 4 points, bringing the cost to 5 points less than the Chapter Ancient), as well as in terms of customization options.

Their stat lines are also almost identical, the only difference there is a Ld of 9 on the Chapter Ancient, and a Ld 8 for the Company Ancient. Worth the 5 points and lack of options? You'll be the judge of that.

Best part is they can tie things up and pop out next turn and shoot again

What page can I find that on? I haven't seen that yet.

*edit* - I thought that if you leave CC you can't shoot, advance or charge, unless it specifically says you can on your unit entry.

Edited by ValourousHeart

Best part is they can tie things up and pop out next turn and shoot again

What page can I find that on? I haven't seen that yet.

*edit* - I thought that if you leave CC you can't shoot, advance or charge, unless it specifically says you can on your unit entry.

There's a exception for units which can FLY in the Falling Back section of the Movement Phase rules. Unfortunately, it is not repeated in the Shooting Phase rules.

I was reading the index and found something that I think is curious. I don't know if it has been answered or not. Im sorry if I am repeating myself, but we are 25 pages in :/

In the Deathwing Terminator datasheet, it says that any one model per each 5 "may take" an assault cannon or plasma cannon.

It doesn't say replace. Just take.

So, if I take an Assault Cannon, I actually keep the storm bolter?? How does that even work??

And why would the cyclone missile launcher expressly state it includes a storm bolter?? Does that mean I now have TWO storm bolters on the model? :S

Please, anyone can clarify it?

I was reading the index and found something that I think is curious. I don't know if it has been answered or not. Im sorry if I am repeating myself, but we are 25 pages in :/

In the Deathwing Terminator datasheet, it says that any one model per each 5 "may take" an assault cannon or plasma cannon.

It doesn't say replace. Just take.

So, if I take an Assault Cannon, I actually keep the storm bolter?? How does that even work??

And why would the cyclone missile launcher expressly state it includes a storm bolter?? Does that mean I now have TWO storm bolters on the model? :S

Please, anyone can clarify it?

Most likely an error.  For some reason GW always screw up the wording when it comes to equipping Deathwing.  It's basically a running joke at this point.

For safety purposes, I'd just assume the heavy weapon replaces the storm bolter.

My index arrived yesterday to much fanfare and frustration at not being able to time travel to 5pm.  I've only had a relatively quick flick through but one thing I've picked up is we can now take 8 man ravenwing bike squadrons + attack bike.  I like this as I'm always in need of a few extra guys in my units, 6 just didn't ever feel like enough.  I can't wait for my first game :D

I noticed that too about the 8 bikes. I have conflicting feelings on the issue.

Personally I really like our setup in 4th. 6 bikes, an attack bike and a speeder in a single fast attack (or troop) choice was unique, and it encouraged you to build lists that included a nice mix of bikes, attack bikes and speeders, but also saved FOC slots if you wanted to bring other things.

I really liked being able to build lists that other SM chapters couldn't build. So I never really focused on trying to build lists that were done better with the SM rules.

Additionally it was really nice having units that matched the boxes available. RW - 2 bike boxes, 1 attack bike box and 1 speeder box = a unit. SM - 3 bike boxes and 1 attack bike box = a unit and an extra bike. It is the 10 hotdogs and 8 hotdog buns problem. And now we get to share that problem.

I find it a little sad that more and more of those unique design choices are slipping away.

But I also have a brand new game ahead of me, and my concerns for being able to distinguish my army from others might prove unfounded.

I noticed that too about the 8 bikes. I have conflicting feelings on the issue.

Personally I really like our setup in 4th. 6 bikes, an attack bike and a speeder in a single fast attack (or troop) choice was unique, and it encouraged you to build lists that included a nice mix of bikes, attack bikes and speeders, but also saved FOC slots if you wanted to bring other things.

I really liked being able to build lists that other SM chapters couldn't build. So I never really focused on trying to build lists that were done better with the SM rules.

Additionally it was really nice having units that matched the boxes available. RW - 2 bike boxes, 1 attack bike box and 1 speeder box = a unit. SM - 3 bike boxes and 1 attack bike box = a unit and an extra bike. It is the 10 hotdogs and 8 hotdog buns problem. And now we get to share that problem.

I find it a little sad that more and more of those unique design choices are slipping away.

But I also have a brand new game ahead of me, and my concerns for being able to distinguish my army from others might prove unfounded.

Never thought of it that way, makes perfect sense really.

I've found list building with a pure RW army quite difficult, there's no porting your army over to 8th and everything still being hunky dorey.  For example, a list I recently took at 1850 has increased by 333pts and I can't even take the same wargear (hopefully available with a new codex).  I think I will spend a fair amount of time trying out various builds in test games before finding the sweet spot, maybe it will be multiwing, maybe greenwing, all I know is it's going to be fun :)