The Orphean Crusade

A usual cover of Black, then a quick drybrush of grey and white then a quick wash of Nuln oil usually does a good enough trick for a 3 layer paint... then occasional red afterwards for eye lenses and purity seals does it for me...

Also, drybrushing and washing models have got to be the easiest painting method for really quick highlights...

example:

Thanks for the ideas, it really does sound simple and if that's the result you get I'm impressed! I fluff around too much with the painting and even after using a wet palette it seems too thick so might try the methods you and Honda have suggested over the next two weeks.

The symbol of the Orphean Sector is The Lantern, thought to be Arica Orpheus' personal heraldry who was the rogue trader who founded the area. Upon Helbrecht's orders to mobilise the Strike-Cruiser Einhard to reinforce the forces embroiled in the Necron invasion the Crusaders took the brazier as their emblem, lighting their way in the darkness, much as Arica did Millenia before.

So I guess it's just a thematic thing around light.

That's excellent - mind if I steal that for the Incandus Crusade? I was going to locate them in a different sector but Segmentum Tempestus and the lantern theme is a far better match for the model theme and most likely enemies!

The symbol of the Orphean Sector is The Lantern, thought to be Arica Orpheus' personal heraldry who was the rogue trader who founded the area. Upon Helbrecht's orders to mobilise the Strike-Cruiser Einhard to reinforce the forces embroiled in the Necron invasion the Crusaders took the brazier as their emblem, lighting their way in the darkness, much as Arica did Millenia before.

So I guess it's just a thematic thing around light.

That's excellent - mind if I steal that for the Incandus Crusade? I was going to locate them in a different sector but Segmentum Tempestus and the lantern theme is a far better match for the model theme and most likely enemies!

Not at all, there's enough crusades to go around :wink: Imperial Armour 12 : The Fall of Orpheus is a pretty dope book, it's where I got the rules for my Krieg dudes and I was going to collect Minotaurs too but the Black Templars are my first love!

Been working on a short story regarding how Otuel became this particular crusade's Champion:

++Log of the Strike-Cruiser Einhard++

++3630995.M41++

++Excerpt from the works of Chronicler Iosef Piravelli regarding Emperor's Champion Milon Otuel's ascension on C'syn'ad++

A mortal man, some would describe him as. More naive members of liberated worlds would call him a god of the heavens. Neither decriptions mattered now, as the chains wrapped around his forearm did not throw off his aim as round after round found their mark. The boltgun is a brutal weapon by nature, but the craftsmanship behind this particular boltguns' internal receiver made sure that the cycling of heavy cases out of its ejection port was well timed and flawless. Cases littered the ground around Brother Otuel's feet as he made sure to punch a hole in each of the mouthless skulls of the metal bastards. It would not be proper to have them rise again, a travesty against the hymnal Otuel created with each practised squeeze of his trigger. It was indeed HIS trigger, the boltgun which had seen combat at Declates VII was fettered to his wrist, one with the Marine in black.

The fiery eyed husks lurched down the broken boulevard towards Squad Contundito's line, a stack of Munitorum crates assembled as a half-circle with the apex facing down the street. A twisted tank carcass protected the Templars' rear, the damage significant enough to make it difficult to work out which variant of Leman Russ it had been. Its ammunition stores must have been lit by energy of the Necron constucts earlier in the day Otuel had mused as the squad first arrived at their assigned defence point. There was little time for musings now as he ejected his spent magazine and retrieved the next from his thigh pouches. Two left. He gave a light tap to the bottom of the new box, seating it within his bolter firmly as he proceded to draw back the charging handle with his free hand. He had faith his brothers would cover him as he reloaded. The air of this city, whilst thick with the orange flares of the gauss weaponry levelled at them, tasted of blood and cordite as it filtered through his helmet's respirator. The perfect breath for the perfect battle.

Shoulder to shoulder with his brothers on this planet was what Otuel was bred for and he now knew, after one hundred and twenty years of service that this day held a sense of divine purpose. The Emperor watched him now, and Otuel would present his worth!

++Excerpt Ends++

Edited by Castellan Cynebald

I like the short story... but seeing how Otuel wrote this himself describing himself... he seems to like writing about himself in the third person :tongue.:

But Marshal Rouakis likes this, so Marshal Roujakis shall give a like :tongue.:

Haha that's a good point, might 'purge the records' so to speak and edit the 'source'!

Will you decorate a Black Templar's base by jamming a gauss flayer muzzle into the "ground," and mounting a Necron's disembodied head atop the gauss flayer butt? (The Templars did so to defeated Necrons in the 'Damnation Crusade' graphic novel.)

Remember when you couldn't do that because the Necs just faded away?

Ah, the good ol' days.

Will you decorate a Black Templar's base by jamming a gauss flayer muzzle into the "ground," and mounting a Necron's disembodied head atop the gauss flayer butt? (The Templars did so to defeated Necrons in the 'Damnation Crusade' graphic novel.)

Remember when you couldn't do that because the Necs just faded away?

Ah, the good ol' days.

Do they still phase out with enough damage or has that been retconned?

Not much actual input, but maybe treat this is a word of encouragement: good luck with your painting, Brother (and with the game, but mostly with painting - it seems to be a surprisingly widespread problem in the hobby).

Appreciated, I do not mind the actual act, find it quite cathartic, just sit there and listen to a podcast or a bit of music but I think I over-extended the sheer quantity of models, terrain, city tiles etc. that it has become more daunting. Honda suggested keeping it in manageable blocks and that it's a marathon not a sprint so I might start jogging this coming week :wink:

Part of my army includes the Assault on Black Reach starter set which i completed painting for last year:

http://i.imgur.com/kjSzVWh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BsHgORc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lh3byLz.jpg

I know more now about highlighting, washes, paint thinning and trimming mould lines than back then, but wanted to keep the models as like an example of my little improvements over time!

Ah, Assault on Black Reach. It brings back some memories. This reminds me that I wanted to get back to my models and repaint them. The power swords appear to look particularly nice. The bases are cool as well. It's just a shame that you didn't remove the arrows on the shoulder pads (though, admittedly, I left some on mine, on the 'sergeant' and missile launcher dude).

Not much actual input, but maybe treat this is a word of encouragement: good luck with your painting, Brother (and with the game, but mostly with painting - it seems to be a surprisingly widespread problem in the hobby).

Appreciated, I do not mind the actual act, find it quite cathartic, just sit there and listen to a podcast or a bit of music but I think I over-extended the sheer quantity of models, terrain, city tiles etc. that it has become more daunting. Honda suggested keeping it in manageable blocks and that it's a marathon not a sprint so I might start jogging this coming week :wink:

This I completely am as well :D

I found it easier to split the painting in chunks and have one squad free, paint that one squad for an indefinite amount of time to get them to full detail, then wait for the painting events here in BnC to get into more chunks of my army... usually the chunks not getting the full detail treatment, but enough to be tabletop quality... then the hiatus repeats itself and the squad that's on tabletop quality gets the full detail treatment afterwards... if the squad gets finished, then pick another one... usually helps with really busy days, as you could be surprised at the amount of detail you could put on just one normal Marine...

I know more now about highlighting, washes, paint thinning and trimming mould lines than back then, but wanted to keep the models as like an example of my little improvements over time!

Actually, this is a wise thing to do. It's always nice to go back and look and see that your skills have improved, even if it's a small increment. A lot of times with painting, things seem to happen so slowly that you aren't even aware that you are getting better. But you are.

Something as simple as thinning your paints has a huge effect on the end product and can change a figure that looks like it was painted by an infant, to some level of table top quality. Adding washes and highlights has an incremental positive effect as well. Nice looking bases (which yours are quite cool looking I might add) also elevate the final result.

So when you start using these techniques, it doesn't really seem like a big deal at the time, but going back to see what has changed can really reinforce the fact that you are getting better.

Wait and see where you are a year from now. :)

Brothers, I am very excited about this 8th Edition announcement! The Orphean Crusade and the Black Templars will be on the bow-wave of a new journey into the future! Long Live The Emperor and The Imperium, may the Xeno, the Witch and the Mutant fear our coming!

GW didn't have another Land Raider Crusader, so I went with the Stormraven and an Attack Bike to round out my fast Killteam, working on a battle report for a game fought yesterday! Also grabbed some black paint so will be getting the Black in Black Templars sorted ASAP!

If you have time brothers I have made an album of one of the Killteam games I played over the weekend, sorry again about so many unpainted figs, rest assured it will be worked on going forward...

I present Let No One Pass, a Kilteam game featuring a Black Templars Crusader Squad and their brothers the Salamanders vs. Dark Mechanicum and Thousand Sons forces in which the Chaos troops try to push past a wall of ceramite and ZEAL!

Let No One Pass

I am also working on an album for a BIG Killteam game (oxymoronic?) we played a day later...

Stage 1 of painting my black tide: Blacker than the blackest black times infinity!

http://i.imgur.com/q3MuqAy.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/PGXUKFK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vIvKRdU.jpg

Hi guys, just thought I'd ask, what do you want to see more of? I know what I like in a B&C post, but feel free to post what you were after in mine! Do you want more pics of squads, more painting, battle reports, lore? Let me know here! I'm working on some unique stuff too but good things take time ;)

Hi guys, just thought I'd ask, what do you want to see more of? I know what I like in a B&C post, but feel free to post what you were after in mine! Do you want more pics of squads, more painting, battle reports, lore? Let me know here! I'm working on some unique stuff too but good things take time :wink:

Painted models ;)