Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sisters or culexus

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Just4uCupCake

Just4uCupCake

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 375 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Angels, and World Eaters
I'm running a guard army for a tournament and I've done fairly well with them. My big weakness is Death Stars running invisibility so I need anti psyker I hate psykers and don't want to run any in my own army. I was going to run a null maiden task force with two rhinos and two sisters prosecutor squads. But that seems costly and the culexus has so many awesome rules and he has infiltrate and move through cover I can plant him 12" from a psyker Death Star and start killing them denying them warp charges for the invisibility power and blow them away with my gun lines. Thoughts guys? Pros and cons ?
  • Trevak Dal likes this

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_02.jpgETL_2015_Badge_02_Forum_Champion_BA.jpgETL_2015_Badge_08_Badge_of_the_Hero.jpgwe_badge_cupcake.png

jeffersonian000

jeffersonian000

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,267 posts
  • Chapter Name: Knights of the Word
Sisters and Rhinos shut down the Psychic phase, it's 330 points that's well spent.

SJ
  • templargdt and Just4uCupCake like this
“And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings was as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle.”
- Revelations 9:9

Tyberos the Red Wake

Tyberos the Red Wake

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,452 posts
  • Chapter Name: Carcharodon Astra

If all you care about is stripping away Invisibility, 5 SoS are better than 1 Culexis. But when you start adding points to them or are trying to compare invuln saves or firepower, that's when things start getting murky.

• Just4uCupCake likes this

"Grey-clad, they came from the outer night to aid the Imperium, and their jagged maw did swallow the stars, and their black gaze did mirror the void of oblivion."

- The Canticle of Cassandria Lev - Vol.CVI [Circa M37]

Schultzhoffen

Schultzhoffen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 822 posts
Can sisters buy rhinos as transports? I don't see it in their unit entry.
"For Calth."

Claws and Effect

Claws and Effect

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,691 posts
  • Chapter Name: Raven Guard and DIY WIP
I'm sticking with the Culexus myself. For a couple reasons.

1) I don't really want to buy the sisters, while I already own a Culexus.

2) 140 points is a lot easier to fit in a list than 330. To for the Sisters in, I'd have to give up a whole auxiliary to make it work.

For the record, you can't Infiltrate within 12" of an enemy unit. You'd have to do so from from farther away and move closer in your first turn.

Just4uCupCake

Just4uCupCake

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 375 posts
Yes they can buy rhinos

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_02.jpgETL_2015_Badge_02_Forum_Champion_BA.jpgETL_2015_Badge_08_Badge_of_the_Hero.jpgwe_badge_cupcake.png

Captain Idaho

Captain Idaho

++ ARGENTARIUS IRACUNDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,855 posts
  • Chapter Name: Ultramarines
I would go Culexus for 2 simple but important reasons:

1) He's cheaper. In fact, you can get 2 of them for the price of the 330pts mentioned above.

2) He's actually harder to neutralise by enemy shooting.

There's another 3rd reason...

3) You can easily convert a lone Space Marine with black armour, an arcane cannon etc to represent a covert ops type member of a Chapter. I've got the parts for a psycannon, Grey Knighter teleporter backpack and a few other oddments for such a representation.
  • Trevak Dal likes this

Just4uCupCake

Just4uCupCake

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 375 posts
I had no idea you could take two of the same assassins

Captain Idaho

Captain Idaho

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,855 posts
Well they're a formation of their own so you can take a couple such formations.

templargdt

templargdt

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 657 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Ravens

I'd go with the Sisters.  I bet a psychic death star could easily kill the lone assassin, and then re-activate invisibility next turn.  

1 John 4:8

Lysere

Lysere

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,666 posts
  • Chapter Name: Templar Order

I'd go with the Sisters. I bet a psychic death star could easily kill the lone assassin, and then re-activate invisibility next turn.

Depends on the deathstar. Like the sisters the assassin is immune to all psychic powers, but the assassin is harder to hit, harder to wound, has an invuln rather than an armor, does his shooting in the psychic phase, can still throw a grenade or run, and is far more dangerous in assault.

The advantage of the sisters is their detachment allows for up to six units for shutting down powers. (3 squads plus 3 rhinos)
ETL_04_Primus_Inter_Pares.jpg

templargdt

templargdt

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 657 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Ravens

The last one I fought was:

- 5 White Scar Libby Conclave on Bikes

- Bunch of Iron Priests on Thunderwolves with Thunderhammers

- 40 Fenris Wolves 

All put together into one big single unit with a bunch of USRs stacked on top of each other.  I pretty certain that one would steamroll the assassin.  I was actually able to win that game because it was 6 objectives on a long table edge game, and he couldn't effectively fight split up.  so I was able to divide up with deep strikers/outflank  and grab a bunch of objectives as he was killing the rest of my army in a walk.

IF you're going to use the assassin and take on something like that deathstar head on, I'd keep the assassin out of LOS of the deathstar, feed it a chaff unit or two to speed bump it, move the assassin up with 12" and then give it everything I had when invisibility came down.  The entire game would revolve around if you could keep the assassin alive with speed bumping the deathstar and stripping away wounds.  

1 John 4:8

Captain Idaho

Captain Idaho

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,855 posts
I think people are looking at the Culexus or Sisters dilemma based on directly opposing psychic targets. Whilst a spare Psyk Out grenade can be inconvenient for a player, the real strength comes from using the null zone of either unit to prevent psychic powers going off, then hitting the unit with what you have to eliminate or neuter it.

On this basis, the cheaper, easier to position Culexus is more useful. It only takes one turn to hurt the opponent critically.

Consider a Centurion squad with Shield Eternal 1st Company Captain in Cataphractii armour, supported by some Invisibility Librarian(s) from a Conclave.

The Culexus will probably struggle to kill the unit in close combat so is likely to be wasted if you charge. Opponent goes first and moves to within 24" range of something, killing it no doubt. Your Turn 1 though, you Drop Pod a strike force of your own (plasma Tacticals even, let alone other choices) and turn your guns towards the unit. You move your Culexus into 12", running if you have to.

The unit is no longer invisible and now vulnerable. The tanking character at the front can't protect the units flanks and your Drop Pod attack takes down a couple Centurions, whilst your Culexus blasts the unit in support.

The opponent is highly likely to lose a couple Centurions or even Librarians if they try and Look Out, Sir! shenanigan play it. The unit is all of a sudden weaker your Drop force is still relevant and your assassin is still about for another turn to finish off the unit.
  • Trevak Dal likes this

Just4uCupCake

Just4uCupCake

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 375 posts
Could I possibly take both? Two units of sisters anddddd an assassin ? Overkill?

Lysere

Lysere

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,666 posts
  • Chapter Name: Templar Order

Could I possibly take both? Two units of sisters anddddd an assassin ? Overkill?

You very much could but it would be a lot of points you're not using on other things, or you could take only one or two units of sisters to backup the assassin.

I mean with the Castellans detachment you can take up to 6 culexus assassins if you really wanted to but it's not the best plan.
ETL_04_Primus_Inter_Pares.jpg

Trevak Dal

Trevak Dal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,153 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Legion (Night Blades)
It can be funny to see how many points worth of shooting the opponent will throw at a single model or how badly a single model can pop a squat right on his plans.

I take a cuelexus whenever I know somebody is bringing a try hard army. Especially with my Chaos and Tau Just to piss them off more.

I throw intolerable shade when I do it too.
  • Captain Idaho and Just4uCupCake like this

"Our Turn" - Centurion Khârn.

Just4uCupCake

Just4uCupCake

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 375 posts
Tau????

Claws and Effect

Claws and Effect

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,691 posts
  • Chapter Name: Raven Guard and DIY WIP
You can take an Assassin with pretty much any army as an Allied Detachment.

Saw a battle report the other day that had a Vindicare with Tyranids.

All you have to do is keep the asssssin far enough away to not screw things up.

Not hard to justify either: The assassin is simply taking advantage of the battle to take out their target in the opposing army.

Captain Idaho

Captain Idaho

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,855 posts
Some people just want to see the galaxy burn, eh Realityburn. :)

Trevak Dal

Trevak Dal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,153 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Legion (Night Blades)
When I'm going up against try hard lists like the "totally fluffy" Thundercav and Whitescars, I bring my Try-Hard lists out, and I don't care about background or fluff if it's gonna be try hard, I take the units I need to get me closer to winning. Multiple riptides, multiple stormsurges, you come to bring the noise the gloves come off.

Hyper competitive me, is not a nice guy. I don't like that guy, that's why I try to steer things towards Zone Mortalis rules which mitigates so much, even if you don't have the board/terrain for it.

"Our Turn" - Centurion Khârn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users