Greetings,

I recently bought a 'Start Collecting'-box of Scions for Shadow War: Armageddon. Unfortunately I didn't manage to get my hands on the game itself. I'm a bit too impatient to wait another month for the rulebook, so I would like to start building my Kill Team already.

The rules for the other 10 factions are freely available online, but the ones I actually need (Marines and AM) are only available in the damn book. Could anyone recommend which loadout I should give the 10 guys I have available at the moment? I realise they aren't regular guardsmen, but I heard rumours that using Scions was possible (not just as Special Operative). And if all else fails, I can always use them as regular 'elite' guardsmen.

Edit: Changed title to something more appropriate.

You can sort of run them as "pseudo" scions. Take the veteran guardsmen and pay for las guns, hot shot ammo, and carapace armor. Makes them more expensive to run but makes them fluffy and WYSIWYG. I made a kasrkin team and have 7 models with two special weapons operatives for 1000 points flat.

You can sort of run them as "pseudo" scions. Take the veteran guardsmen and pay for las guns, hot shot ammo, and carapace armor. Makes them more expensive to run but makes them fluffy and WYSIWYG. I made a kasrkin team and have 7 models with two special weapons operatives for 1000 points flat.

Even better, thanks! What special weapons are you using?

I have 7 models and one of them is a normal guardsman in the higher gear. I'm calling him the rookie. The special weapons are plasma and flamer. I'm using the old Kasrkin models and really dig them for it. The sarge has a pistol and sword.

Hey Brother Grey Raven, Brother Ice Chiang is exactly right.  Just sharing more, because I want to commend you for modeling & painting WYSIWYG.

Even better, thanks! What special weapons are you using?

As you said, Brother Grey Raven, there IS a Scion Operative (alongside Techpriest Enginseer, Ogryn, Commissar), which you can exactly replicate with the Astra Militarum vet guardsman + lasgun + hotshot + carapace armour, all available as additional options.  It's expensive, but do-able, so you don't have to worry about count-as!

However, that Operative Scion also has grenades (which you can buy, but way too overpriced so you should skip them) and start with the Shooting skill Crackshot (which you can only get from lucky rolls on the Advancement tables).

I do like the idea of these being Scions-In-Training, like they hadn't quite completed all drills to learn the Crackshot skill or their grenade throwing certification, but are pushed out to the frontlines because of how desperate the war has become.

(It's a really good idea, actually, very fluffy.)

Now, for Special Weapons options, let me just share this for your modelling/painting needs.  The Astra Militarum lists allows for up to 3 Special Weapons guys (whereas most factions only allow 2) and you can get Sniper Rifles, Flamers, Plasma gun, Meltagun, Heavy Flamer, Grenade Launcher and a Demolition charge (i.e. a bomb you plant on the ground).  Just letting you know.

Thanks for the replies! I'm quite happy that I can use the Scions as kill team, the Operative will be the commando if I get at that point.

N1SB, as a recall from other threads, you have the actual game. Could you recommend which weapons are actually effective? I heard that flamers are particularly effective, while plasma and melta aren't that usefull anymore. I might just model all the weapons and buy an extra box in the future, but I want to maximise the one box I have now. Recommendations from personal experience would be a great starting point for a newb like me.

Last question, is the Hot-shot volley gun a weapon option? If not, I might use that one to indicate my Operative.

PS: Brother Tyler, thank you for editing my tags biggrin.png

Gonna look this up for you, brb.

Edit - back, that's a really good idea to have the Operative as a special commando or something, and in answering this you gave me some good ideas, too, so everything's great, Brother.

Sorry, no Volleygun, btw.

I think the most effective options, against the current factions available in Shadow War (and in fact, to come, because we can sort of see the power level they're going for in this game) are: Sniper Rifle, Flamer and Heavy Flamer.

+++

Sniper Rifle is for range, obviously, it's more of extending your threat range and the possibly of Pinning most factions.  We normally put them on top of a tall building with a good bird's eye view, but having faced Eldar, it's a good option to put them on the flanks, looking down the side of the table, so fast-moving armies can't outflank you.  It's also a Silent Weapon, which is useful for 1 mission type involving raising alarms.  It costs the same as a Lasgun + Hotshot Pack.

Flamers are good for the centre area of the table.  The negative modifiers against your Shooting from all the cover and running is substantial and, even though it's only S4 and relatively short ranged, it's more likely to cause a wound than most other options.  It also has a negative modifier against enemy armour of -2, so Power Armour becomes only a 5+, etc.  I mention that because normally Flamers don't do jack against Power Armour in normal 40k.  Also the same cost as a Lasgun + Hotshot Pack.

The Heavy Flamer is one of the pricier options at 100 points, but also really good and I think unique to AM.  Does D3 Wounds with a -3 Save Modifier.  It's a real tough call to say if it's worth more more than double the price of a normal Flamer, but I'm seriously thinking about this.

For Shadow War, I'd probably take 2 Snipers (for the flanks) and 1 Flamer or Heavy Flamer (for the centre).

+++

As for the other options, the hard truth.

I think the Meltagun doesn't have a place in Shadow War; it's way overkill for Infantry and quite expensive and short-ranged.  Like the only time its damage is relevant might be if I'm fighting Tyranid Warriors, but it's short range means I'm setting myself up for a charge if I missed.

The Plasmagun, on the other hand...has merit.  It actually has 2 firing modes, but you'll probably use the Max Power mode which is when it does more damage, can Sustain Fire (i.e. their rapid fire, which means you roll D3 and that's how many shots you shoot).  But also generally overkill and can explode on a failed Ammo Roll, which is a very high 7+.  Still quite worthwhile against high Toughness and Armour targets, like Chaos Space Marines and Tyranid Warriors, with good range, so I'd consider it actually.

One piece of real bad news is that the Hotshot Lasgun is a little more expensive and a little worse than a Bolter.  That's unfortunate and I know you can't take Bolters, you want to take this to match the Scions, but I felt I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that.

The situation here is that I reckon you want to have something that you can use in a proper 40k game as well as in Shadow War.  The compromise is Plasmaguns, if that's the case, which definitely has uses but is just a bit pricey and risky for me.

Makes sense that sniper rifles flamers would be especially good in a game like Shadow War which is urban combat.

I own the box set, but haven't opened it yet since I've been preparing for a tournament. Glad to hear that a Scion/"Stormtrooper" army can be done with the AM rules. I too, like the idea (from a fluff POV) of the kill team being Scions-in-training.

Archived