Modular Industrial Table WIP **now featuring terrain**

NTaW

Excellent work :thumbsup:

I wish I had the time and the storage space for a project like this!

I'll be watching this one closely for whenever I can do something similar.

Thanks! I chose 1x1' tiles not only to get the most out of the modular idea but because they're a lot easier to store than 2x2' (or bigger) tiles. Most under-bed plastic bins will handle 4-8 tiles depending on the tiles and bin, with some of the bigger ones (garage, closet, basement style) can fit 6-10 easy if you put them on their sides. I actually want to start doing custom terrain for people/clubs/stores/tournaments, though larger projects will definitely be hampered by shipping once that gets going. Oh, logistics....

WHAM! Canal walls in place. Figured out how to use up my foamcore scraps and brace the walls all at once:

34407804201_ce57774ab8_z.jpg

33695286824_ff6e6ef75c_z.jpg

Next step: popsicle sticks.

All the sharp things!

34429329521_cb19331f50_z.jpg

Things are starting to come together here, I've even managed to cover up my janky foamcore cuts at the edges of the tiles:

34398043742_469949f9b8_z.jpg

34559643455_d8b7cba272_z.jpg

Decisions, decisions....

Which "ladder" looks better for scale? They will be trimmed and mounted accordingly, just leaning up against a wall in these pics.

34459760162_89f4eb44b6_z.jpg

34580324366_5381f205ab_z.jpg

Good call. At first I really could have seen either but I think I'll save the bigger ones for buildings or something else entirely.

Started doing the caps to the canal walls today, decided to use 1/16" balsa wood just to try something new out. Everything's been going pretty good though I'm thinking that a few coats of hardener after it's all said and done will be mandatory to keep some of the overhanging corners from snapping. Didn't remember to snap a pic before everything got put away, will update once everything's dried.

:lol: That is exactly what I thought when I finally came to the decision to use smaller ladders. Not sure that there will be much space in the canals but they may show up elsewhere. Good eye on them being from hair rollers too.

Here's what things are looking like now. I will cut the rest of the wall supports longer, the gaps bother me. Can't see them unless you're right down at the table checking line of sight at least.

34509984761_cfa7518986_z.jpg

34640714705_7d1cecfbbf_z.jpg

34510080551_ed36c98c7e_z.jpg

Edited by NTaW

Lol ... I've built enough terrain over the last 2 decades.

It's looking really good with the edging and pins. I think it's added a nice level of detail without going overboard.

I think sometimes people get overly stressed about the boards and forget it's the first layer. If your worried about the big flat areas maybe add some very light texture to the bottom of the walls to simulate dirt build up or just add a green/brown tinge to the lower half of the walls?

I'm not too worried about big open spaces, nothing's going to be very open on this table once scenery hits it. I plan on tossing a bunch of really fine sand into PVA for most of the grime-ening and painting it wherever I please, likely dipping some hobby moss into it as well to fill in all sorts of corners and nooks. The gaps I was talking about are the tiny ones under the lip where the supports don't quite meet....it's a pretty pedantic thing that I'll just address as I go along so that they're only really on those two tiles.

Got a little bit of work done on a tile today, here's the middle section of the pool pretty much done:

34274950300_b4ecb94f0c_z.jpg

This looks great! Thread will be followed!

Hey, thanks! Today marks a month that I've been working on it around two jobs and my kid, and I'm finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel...gunna have my Shadow War table ready for 8th edition :lol:

It occurred to me last night that at just over 2" tall the canals are all impassable terrain! Now almost every tile will have a ladder or rope of some kind to help models get in and out.

Been picking away at this, too hot right now in the apartment to do much of anything even though I have the place to myself. Instead I'll pull out a bunch of almost done tiles and take pictures! 

Here's the pool area:

33898886754_74c93d79e2_c.jpg

A close up on the damaged grate (yes, it was fiddly as :cuss):

34609755461_f1ffdf4610_c.jpg

....and last but not least, I have a 3x3' table good to have some random scatter terrain thrown on it so I can actually play a game of Shadow War on it!

34609761221_5633d1ef92_c.jpg

It will be fun to play a game finally. I never played Necromunda and I haven't done anything but read the Shadow War rule book and make kill team lists around building this table....hopefully I like the game, eh??!!! :lol:

Hey, thanks! I think it took seeing the tiles all together like that to realize how far I've come and how much the work has paid off. As for your question....

I have been pretty thrifty with this project, much of the materials are from the dollar store or from my old job working construction. That background means I also have a bunch of tools and access to even more if I need them, which helps a LOT for cutting. If I had to do it again buying everything material cost probably would have been around $150-200. Then there's the amount of time I've spent on it. Yikes. I work on it probably four or five days a week typically and spend anywhere from one to five hours on it when I'm doing so. I guess anywhere between 30 and 80 hours? :laugh.: I reeeeeaaaally haven't been keeping track apparently.

EDIT: All that being said if I did it again it would take half the time.

Edited by NTaW

Lol ... It's always much quicker the second time around until you decide to try something else. ;)

The broken grate is a really nice extra detail that adds so much more that you might initially think. Lots of attention to detail like the reinforcing bars along the wall edges and the lip around the tops both with the studs (pin rivets). The different textures with the grating on the tops and flat recessed areas.

Really upped the anti with the quality of the finish. :tu:

Thanks for the kind words!

As for speed, I more mean that my techniques have been refined through this process. Bought a knife blade for my scroll saw so I can cut foamcore without blowing out the top and bottom with the blade, doing those million cuts for the tops of the tiles would now take me maybe a few minutes whereas I likely spent an hour or three doing it by hand. Jeeze then there was the foamcore floors! Holy crapola. There's also the balsa wood, and doing insulation foam/foamcore with a knife blade leaves virtually nothing to clean up after and factory finish cuts. Not only vastly improved cutting time but also getting rid of a lot of time spent cleaning up after myself.

I love that humanity is still using wood pallets in the grim darkness of the far future. :biggrin.:

Wood pallets are the apex of bulk moving, don't ya know :lol: