Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Q: 8th edition if TWC is removed, how are we compensated?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Valerian

Valerian

++ EQUITES ALATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 8,242 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves and Grey Knights

Just look to Age of Sigmar for how the 8th edition roll-out is likely to proceed.  All current 40 Factions will get a "Dataslate" Compendium (or similar term) that will be available for free download as PDF documents on the day of edition release.  For your reference all of the AoS ones can be found here:  https://www.games-wo...of-Sigmar-Rules

The Compendium for the Space Wolves will have a single-page dataslate (warscroll) for all of the units that we currently have available, and that Citadel produces models for, which will definitely include the Thunderwolf Cavalry and the Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf.  I doubt we'll get any new units on release day, but we aren't likely to lose any units either.  The great thing about this method is that every Faction will be brought up to 8e readiness and we'll all be able to play games on day 1.  Also, the designers can do dynamic updates to tweak unit rules, characteristics, and points costs at any point, without invalidating any books.  Let's not forget that GW is in the business to sell models first and foremost.  They make the games to facilitate the sale of the models.  Thunderwolves are a good model kit that sells well and makes them money.  Until the molds wear out, they aren't going anywhere.

The codices (battle tomes) will come later, and probably at the new pace of many per year.  AoS has 17 battle tomes, and 5 grand alliance books out already, and the game has been available for less than two years.  I expect every 40k Faction will have its codex pretty quickly compared to all previous editions.  These new codices won't need to include any unit information, as all of that stuff is already available via the downloadable PDF compendiums.  Instead, those can focus on fluff (mostly copy and paste from all previous versions of each codex), relics and artifacts, faction-specific warlord traits, and lots and lots of new formations and detachments.  However, I wouldn't expect that the formations will be free anymore.  In addition to the requirement to field the right units, you'll have to pay an additional points cost in overhead to gain the formation's benefits (no more free chicken, which will really, really help with game balance).  We'll also see the painting guides, picture galleries, and probably some unique special missions and scenarios in the codices, as well.  

All of that being said, we don't really know what the 8e rules will bring (other than what GW has already leaked), and how the meta and individual units will be affected, so I'd definitely hold off on new purchases and modeling for now.  However, with the new design system, they'll be able to much more easily "correct the ship" if they make an over-performing or under-performing unit, which enables agile correction of internal and external army balance.  

V

• DanPesci likes this

hammer grimblood

hammer grimblood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 300 posts

Brothers we are above this. We are warriors and above simple gossip. Until the 8th edition rules and those of the Wolves are printed and rest in our hands then we do not know what GW has planned for us. It is well known that the GW rules team worships the infernal trickster Tzeetch. We are the Rout and regardless of how our rules change we will always adapt and overcome our "weaknesses".

• Quixus likes this

sml_gallery_79710_12195_5745.png sml_gallery_79710_12195_5833.pngsml_gallery_79710_12195_3274.jpg ETL 2016 Banner 03 Custos Fidei01

Dantay VI

Dantay VI

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,460 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves

I would honestly love for some of the 'Wolf' parts of our line-up to be removed and replaced with Viking elements and I think I'd be somewhat hard pressed for people that disagree considering how incredibly awesome the 30k Wolves are. So if they removed TWC and replace it with a long-boat esque type vehicle or something a bit less silly-sounding I'd be ecstatic. 

8th edition is improving melee in general isn't it? We're the assault legion, don't be concerned brothers, be excited!

I actually laughed at the FW statement considering all we got was torsos and knock off blackmane shoulderpads.. The transfer sheet is nifty though.

While FW have mentioned other stuff we have seen zero except some hand drawn pictures of heads. Meanwhile models not even WIP'd at the weekender are now out for pre-order such as T-Son thallax and soon Magnus.

Not to mention the mess they made of frostblades, and the rules...

• Liege likes this
ETL 1v2

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,453 posts

not sure what prompted this thoughts but they're not taking thunderwolf cav away. this is the ironclad truth as I know it: invalidating people's existing armies is the last thing they want to do.

this is me speculating: i think you misinterpreted their "reward thematic armies" comment. thunderwolves ARE a unique thematic element of the space wolves codex. Thunderwolves in dark angels armies... not thematic. whatever they do I imagine they'll reward people with lots of variety to their armies and not people who spam units or cherry pick min-maxed allies.

Edited by Wispy, 17 April 2017 - 10:08 PM.

Valerian

Valerian

++ EQUITES ALATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 8,242 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves and Grey Knights
Yes, rewarding thematic armies will be in the form of Command Points, which would play out as rerolls, etc. for use during the game.

Vash113

Vash113

++ SCRIPTOR CLASSIARIUM ++

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,613 posts

So I've been reading/hearing rumors that 8th edition will remove TWC as from what little I understand is that they want to go thematic with the armies following the lore/books I guess. I don't think I have ever read about TWC in the books, if that was GW intentions I can see them removing them. 

I am just curious as to how SW's will play without our star units. Will we get 30k units like outriders or jetbikes? I am trying to wrap my head around how we can be a rapid strike force without something like cavalry or bikes. Seeing as our bike units are nothing but glorified Blood Claws, and we aren't really known for jump troops. In the lore it seems we are more foot sloggers, but if that's how we operate how can we also be this rapid strike group? Unless they plan on giving SW all outflank across the board so we can close in quickly.

With 8th ed coming up I've been more than nervous about painting units. Being a person that plans things out, this has me uneasy as how to go forward. I am just not sure what to expect and that makes me uneasy. For now I will focus on GH/BC's but I am nervous as to what will our tactics will be.

GW is certainly not going to remove Thunderwolf Cavalry, it's a relatively new kit that that sells well and is hardly less over-the-top than the Wulfen. If anything 40k Wolves are likely to be "themed" even more werewolf while 30k Wolves are more viking. Thus I'd expect more wolf-wolfity-wolfy-wolf stuff, not less.

I mean how does a rumor like that even get any traction or credibility?

• Wintermane likes this

"Are we going to scrap about it now. Argue which Legion is the toughest?"
"The answer always is, the Wolves of Fenris," Torgadon put in. "Because they're clinically insane."
-1st Captain Sigismund of the Imperial Fists and Captain of the Luna Wolves 2nd Company.

Comprehensive History Archive

Kasper_Hawser

Kasper_Hawser

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,934 posts
  • Faction: Vlka Fenryka

For the first time in two weeks since I retired my wolves for 8th, I'm psyched.

"The 6th Legion has a reputation." said Bear.
"All the Legions Astartes have reputations," replied Hawser.
"Not like ours," said Ogvai "We are known for our ferocity. We are thought to be feral and undisciplined. Even brother Legions consider us to be wild and bestial."
"And you're not ?" asked Hawser.
"If we need to be," said Ogvai. "but if that was our natural state, we'd all be dead by now."
He leaned down towards Hawser like a parent addressing a child.
"It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous" he said.

Excerpt from "Prospero Burns" by Dan Abnett

KJB

KJB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,605 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Kasper, gw store staff know literally NOTHING. Seriously, those of us who scour the rumour sites for info know more than these guys well in advance.

I'd take a truckload of salt over this one.

Hah, you're wrong there my friend - I heard about 40k Magnus & Guilliman in store weeks before it was posted on the B&C

Back on topic, I really can't see them ditching TWC, as everyone says, they're still a popular kit

DanPesci

DanPesci

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,892 posts

Just look to Age of Sigmar for how the 8th edition roll-out is likely to proceed.  All current 40 Factions will get a "Dataslate" Compendium (or similar term) that will be available for free download as PDF documents on the day of edition release.  For your reference all of the AoS ones can be found here:  https://www.games-wo...of-Sigmar-Rules

The Compendium for the Space Wolves will have a single-page dataslate (warscroll) for all of the units that we currently have available, and that Citadel produces models for, which will definitely include the Thunderwolf Cavalry and the Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf.  I doubt we'll get any new units on release day, but we aren't likely to lose any units either.  The great thing about this method is that every Faction will be brought up to 8e readiness and we'll all be able to play games on day 1.  Also, the designers can do dynamic updates to tweak unit rules, characteristics, and points costs at any point, without invalidating any books.  Let's not forget that GW is in the business to sell models first and foremost.  They make the games to facilitate the sale of the models.  Thunderwolves are a good model kit that sells well and makes them money.  Until the molds wear out, they aren't going anywhere.

The codices (battle tomes) will come later, and probably at the new pace of many per year.  AoS has 17 battle tomes, and 5 grand alliance books out already, and the game has been available for less than two years.  I expect every 40k Faction will have its codex pretty quickly compared to all previous editions.  These new codices won't need to include any unit information, as all of that stuff is already available via the downloadable PDF compendiums.  Instead, those can focus on fluff (mostly copy and paste from all previous versions of each codex), relics and artifacts, faction-specific warlord traits, and lots and lots of new formations and detachments.  However, I wouldn't expect that the formations will be free anymore.  In addition to the requirement to field the right units, you'll have to pay an additional points cost in overhead to gain the formation's benefits (no more free chicken, which will really, really help with game balance).  We'll also see the painting guides, picture galleries, and probably some unique special missions and scenarios in the codices, as well.  

All of that being said, we don't really know what the 8e rules will bring (other than what GW has already leaked), and how the meta and individual units will be affected, so I'd definitely hold off on new purchases and modeling for now.  However, with the new design system, they'll be able to much more easily "correct the ship" if they make an over-performing or under-performing unit, which enables agile correction of internal and external army balance.  

V

As much as people complained about AoS when it first dropped, i would love to see a lot of the mechanics they now hav in place for datasheets and battletomes brought across to 40k. It would make it a lot easier to keep up to date with all the new units, and even just being able to check opponents potential units before a battle...for free..would be a huge step in the right direction

Especially getting rid of free formations and having them cost additional  points plus the units (like the apocalypse formations used to work).

Definately cant see us losing TWC. Too many people use them and they sell well.

Edited by DanPesci, 18 April 2017 - 09:30 AM.

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_01.jpg

DVNE - Crushing tales of space horror (In space no-one can hear you doom)

Kasper_Hawser

Kasper_Hawser

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,934 posts

Yep, sad to say TWC are here to stay. Along with Canis dogborn. :P

"The 6th Legion has a reputation." said Bear.
"All the Legions Astartes have reputations," replied Hawser.
"Not like ours," said Ogvai "We are known for our ferocity. We are thought to be feral and undisciplined. Even brother Legions consider us to be wild and bestial."
"And you're not ?" asked Hawser.
"If we need to be," said Ogvai. "but if that was our natural state, we'd all be dead by now."
He leaned down towards Hawser like a parent addressing a child.
"It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous" he said.

Excerpt from "Prospero Burns" by Dan Abnett

Wintermane

Wintermane

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 46 posts

Units come and go, moving in favor and out as the swing of the rules or the capabilities of other armies render them ineffective. Even if TWC get nerfed they won't go away. Put them  in the display case and be patient. They will come back around. For me when changes like this happen it makes the game most interesting. If I was still playing the exact same army as I did since Rogue Trader, while they would be steeped in lore and saga, I would be a little bored. (Though I would like to still be using my Thunder Rhino).

The joy of the game is when your opponent smiles at you across the table and asks, "What are you going to do now? Without your precious TWC?" And then you precede to crush him with a hoard of Blood Claws.

• Jarl Deathwolf likes this

krrenalor

krrenalor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16 posts

The GW store owners aren't allowed to give out information, so using him as a source puts his job in jeopardy. Games Workshop "leaks" information to other sources but will never use their store owners this way. This is another false rumor started by someone who started the Thunderwolf going away rumor. 

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,453 posts

Also, knock it off on the thunderwolf shaming. I love them. I don't like seeing them spammed as much as they are but a squad in a company is cool and fun. If it ain't your bag, don't use them.

Edited by Wispy, 18 April 2017 - 06:04 PM.

• Wraithwing and Jarl Deathwolf like this

ORKILL

ORKILL

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 367 posts

The premise of this thread is BS. It should be expunged with extreme prejudice.

Drink to the death of The Emperor's enemies!!!

Wraithwing

Wraithwing

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,455 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves\Novamarines
Speaking of rumours, was chatting to a friend who was at the heresy weekender recently, and the forgeworld guys told them that Inferno is 8th edition compatible.

No idea what this means for 8th, but an interesting tidbit nonetheless.

Wraithwing's Deathwolves - A Space Wolves WIP & Painting Blog

Wraithwing's Novamarines - A Primaris WIP & Painting Blog

Wraithwing's Collected Works - Hall of Honour Thread

"We are coming. Look to the skies for your salvation." - Captain Kayvaan Shrike to Commissar Lent prior to the Blindhope planetstrike.

Vash113

Vash113

++ SCRIPTOR CLASSIARIUM ++

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,613 posts

Speaking of rumours, was chatting to a friend who was at the heresy weekender recently, and the forgeworld guys told them that Inferno is 8th edition compatible.

No idea what this means for 8th, but an interesting tidbit nonetheless.

Given that Inferno doesn't appear to be any different in rules or structure to the other books that either means that tidbit is wrong, or any changes are not apparently reflected in unit profiles or rules.

• LupusAegis likes this

"Are we going to scrap about it now. Argue which Legion is the toughest?"
"The answer always is, the Wolves of Fenris," Torgadon put in. "Because they're clinically insane."
-1st Captain Sigismund of the Imperial Fists and Captain of the Luna Wolves 2nd Company.

Comprehensive History Archive

Wolf Guard Dan

Wolf Guard Dan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 834 posts

Also, knock it off on the thunderwolf shaming. I love them. I don't like seeing them spammed as much as they are but a squad in a company is cool and fun. If it ain't your bag, don't use them.

This. 

And This. Send in the Sixth.

• ORKILL and krrenalor like this
*wolf howl*!!!!
'It takes a vast amount of control to be this dangerous.' -Prospero Burns

krrenalor

krrenalor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16 posts

Being compatible with 8th edition means the rumor about three rules set and a 30k "expert" rule set maybe true or just smoke FW put out. Inferno is certainly the rules for Horus Heresy, maybe GW will put out a rule set themselves and finally allow us to purchase FW units at their stores.

Triszin

Triszin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,102 posts

*theoretically if TWC somehow got removed-

the stormwolf would be turned into a grav tank that can fly. move it faster than a landraider, deploy wolves.

banana

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,378 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos and Wolves

not sure what prompted this thoughts but they're not taking thunderwolf cav away. this is the ironclad truth as I know it: invalidating people's existing armies is the last thing they want to do.

As a Brettonian player I fart in your general direction good Sir.

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_48988_10069_6483.pnggallery_29004_9303_22505.pngCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_02_Failed.gif

Blog - Gates of Helvete

“Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken.” - Terry Pratchett, Eric

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,453 posts

As a Brettonian player I fart in your general direction good Sir.

yeah, and they don't want that to happen again.

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

++ PRÆCEPTOR BARBATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,873 posts

This. 

And This. Send in the Sixth.

​If you dont like the premise of a thread, or have nothing but vitriol to add, please contribute with your silence.

If you feel as if a thread should be purged, please report it and inform me what rule of the board is being broken.

Wolf Lord Kieran

-Mod of the B&C-

Space Wolves are badasses that operate just barely within the rules. 13th Co. didn't even know there were rules applying to how badass they could be. DepthCharge on the Space Wolves

I'm so pleased that GW have gone to such great lengths to produce these awesome Space Wolves basing kits. Wraithwing on the Thousand Sons Rubic Marine release

"The Fell Hand is a name that has been passed on through out the Legion. When one warrior bearing it died, the name is left to be earned by another. Thus it was passed from Floki to Volund to Erik to Geigor. And then the tradition died, because censored.gif  Bjorn got the name and proceeded to live for 10 censored.gif millenia." - Sagas of the Wolf Priests. Wispy

Formerly Wolf Lord Kieran

+++This is my Mod voice. There are many like it but this one is mine. I never wanna have to use it, so let's all be excellent to each other+++

ETL_VI_Badge_Faction_Master_Astartes.jpg            ETL_VI_Badge_Forum_Champion_Astartes_SW.

Wolf Guard Dan

Wolf Guard Dan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 834 posts

My apologies WLK, my post was not meant to be vitriolic (nor was there supposed to be a double quote of the last one). I will remain silent on the merits of the thread as others have already asked for the source.

*wolf howl*!!!!
'It takes a vast amount of control to be this dangerous.' -Prospero Burns

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

++ PRÆCEPTOR BARBATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,873 posts

My apologies WLK, my post was not meant to be vitriolic (nor was there supposed to be a double quote of the last one). I will remain silent on the merits of the thread as others have already asked for the source.

No worries brother, happens to us all on occasion...or more often in my case. 

Just wanted to stop anything from escalating. 

WLK

Space Wolves are badasses that operate just barely within the rules. 13th Co. didn't even know there were rules applying to how badass they could be. DepthCharge on the Space Wolves

I'm so pleased that GW have gone to such great lengths to produce these awesome Space Wolves basing kits. Wraithwing on the Thousand Sons Rubic Marine release

"The Fell Hand is a name that has been passed on through out the Legion. When one warrior bearing it died, the name is left to be earned by another. Thus it was passed from Floki to Volund to Erik to Geigor. And then the tradition died, because censored.gif  Bjorn got the name and proceeded to live for 10 censored.gif millenia." - Sagas of the Wolf Priests. Wispy

Formerly Wolf Lord Kieran

+++This is my Mod voice. There are many like it but this one is mine. I never wanna have to use it, so let's all be excellent to each other+++

ETL_VI_Badge_Faction_Master_Astartes.jpg            ETL_VI_Badge_Forum_Champion_Astartes_SW.

ORKILL

ORKILL

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 367 posts

Sorry my remark was meant to be tongue in cheek......but, I don't believe GW will axe TWC.

Drink to the death of The Emperor's enemies!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users