Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Q: 8th edition if TWC is removed, how are we compensated?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Caldersson

Caldersson

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 502 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood of Fenris

My apologies WLK, my post was not meant to be vitriolic (nor was there supposed to be a double quote of the last one). I will remain silent on the merits of the thread as others have already asked for the source.

I already said its been in comments on various sites how we are pretty much all going vanilla marines and how Kasper explained it perfectly here http://www.bolterand...ated/?p=4712734

People took it as me going "oh i hate the TWC" when realistically they are the main force of my armies, I just hate the models. I worry about investing what precious little time I have into rather large models (for me) just to have them laid to rest in 8th. I only just started playing, and am more about the lore/books than the game. So I don't know the SW game history or how prevalent the TWC and such are. To me it's more about "Am I wasting money and time, buying and painting TWC? Or am I safe to continue my goal of a outflanking, quick, hard hitting army that the TWC are perfect for?" I would love to have rhino's run along side TWC with grey hunters acting as support and a StormFang full of Blood Claws to tie up hard to reach enemies.

Challenges Completed:sml_gallery_69091_12729_6611.jpggallery_4664_11830_1029.jpeg<p> Looking to buy Wulfen or SW Termie shields, send me a PM.

Vash113

Vash113

++ SCRIPTOR CLASSIARIUM ++

• + LEXICANIUM +
  • 5,521 posts

I already said its been in comments on various sites how we are pretty much all going vanilla marines and how Kasper explained it perfectly here http://www.bolterand...ated/?p=4712734

People took it as me going "oh i hate the TWC" when realistically they are the main force of my armies, I just hate the models. I worry about investing what precious little time I have into rather large models (for me) just to have them laid to rest in 8th. I only just started playing, and am more about the lore/books than the game. So I don't know the SW game history or how prevalent the TWC and such are. To me it's more about "Am I wasting money and time, buying and painting TWC? Or am I safe to continue my goal of a outflanking, quick, hard hitting army that the TWC are perfect for?" I would love to have rhino's run along side TWC with grey hunters acting as support and a StormFang full of Blood Claws to tie up hard to reach enemies.

As others have said GW pretty well close to never lays anything to rest, and certainly not a relatively young and profitable plastic kit that is among the most popular in the Space Wolf range and is easily less than halfway into it's lifespan as a kit. Heck Thunderwolf Cavalry are in the Space Wolf get started box for crying out loud!

In short, buy all the Thunderwolf Cavalry you want, they aren't going anywhere, if anything I'd be prepared to expect more, not less. My powers of fortune telling leave me expecting some kind of officer on Thunderwolf kit in plastic, possibly with options for Iron Priests.  

• Caldersson likes this

gallery_24878_5332_50483_zps960f3bfd.jpg
gallery_32575_2112_962.gif gallery_17224_3068_178_zpse5c334e8.gif gallery_17224_3229_261_zps401774fb.gif gallery_17224_3229_616_zps1d9416f7.gifgallery_17224_3068_874_zps00305bb1.png gallery_17224_3068_108_zps8858ac6a.gif Runic_charm.gifsatali_zpsyqlvdcbd.gif
"Are we going to scrap about it now. Argue which Legion is the toughest?"
"The answer always is, the Wolves of Fenris," Torgadon put in. "Because they're clinically insane."
-1st Captain Sigismund of the Imperial Fists and Captain of the Luna Wolves 2nd Company.

Comprehensive History Archive

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,031 posts
  • Chapter Name: Chaos and Wolves
I dont think the Marine 2.0 rumor has helped much. If I remember rightly it said GW will concentrate more on that and the current stuff will slowly fade out. If true (doubt it and hope its not true) Id be pretty pissed as I have only been collecting wolves for over a year.

Explorer in the further regions of experience; Demon to some, Angel to others.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

KiltedMarine

KiltedMarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 675 posts
  • Chapter Name: Hounds of Arawn

My personal opinion aside, TWC are here to stay.  As others have pointed out, the molds are still young, and they still sell LOTS of units. 

With that said, even if GW did eliminate them, our basic infantry are some of the best defensive units in the game.  We're still very strong in CC across the board, and with the addition of other chapters' toys we'd be pretty bad :cuss .

"Guilliman is coming - LOOK BUSY!"

-The new warcry of every single non codex-compliant Chapter (Credit to Iron Hands Fanatic)

"Codex, y'say?  Aye, Lordship, it has a place of honor at the very foundation of our brotherhood!" 

::Points to tattered book holding up one corner of a mead bench::

-Llugh Swifthand, High King of the Hounds of Arawn, to Roboute Guilliman, 001M42

MaveriK

MaveriK

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,918 posts
  • Chapter Name: Vlka Fenryka
?! I'm surprised this topic is still even open...
  • Toasterfree likes this

gallery_24878_5332_22902.jpg gallery_24878_5332_12892.jpg
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Azn_MaveriK. Night Four: Inglorious Brawler, Season One. Night Three: Inglorious Brawler, Season Two.

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

++ PRÆCEPTOR BARBATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,434 posts

Can you quote what rule has been broken?

Space Wolves are badasses that operate just barely within the rules. 13th Co. didn't even know there were rules applying to how badass they could be. DepthCharge on the Space Wolves

I'm so pleased that GW have gone to such great lengths to produce these awesome Space Wolves basing kits. Wraithwing on the Thousand Sons Rubic Marine release

"The Fell Hand is a name that has been passed on through out the Legion. When one warrior bearing it died, the name is left to be earned by another. Thus it was passed from Floki to Volund to Erik to Geigor. And then the tradition died, because censored.gif  Bjorn got the name and proceeded to live for 10 censored.gif millenia." - Sagas of the Wolf Priests. Wispy

Formerly Wolf Lord Kieran

+++This is my Mod voice. There are many like it but this one is mine. I never wanna have to use it, so let's all be excellent to each other+++

MaveriK

MaveriK

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,918 posts
  • Chapter Name: Vlka Fenryka

No rule broken. Just that this topic has a general consensus, and no real resolution, except for those who argue for the sake of arguing... LOL

gallery_24878_5332_22902.jpg gallery_24878_5332_12892.jpg
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Azn_MaveriK. Night Four: Inglorious Brawler, Season One. Night Three: Inglorious Brawler, Season Two.

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

++ PRÆCEPTOR BARBATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,434 posts

No rule broken. Just that this topic has a general consensus, and no real resolution, except for those who argue for the sake of arguing... LOL

Then it'll eventually fade away. 

As long as it stays civil, it's safe from my frost axe.

Space Wolves are badasses that operate just barely within the rules. 13th Co. didn't even know there were rules applying to how badass they could be. DepthCharge on the Space Wolves

I'm so pleased that GW have gone to such great lengths to produce these awesome Space Wolves basing kits. Wraithwing on the Thousand Sons Rubic Marine release

"The Fell Hand is a name that has been passed on through out the Legion. When one warrior bearing it died, the name is left to be earned by another. Thus it was passed from Floki to Volund to Erik to Geigor. And then the tradition died, because censored.gif  Bjorn got the name and proceeded to live for 10 censored.gif millenia." - Sagas of the Wolf Priests. Wispy

Formerly Wolf Lord Kieran

+++This is my Mod voice. There are many like it but this one is mine. I never wanna have to use it, so let's all be excellent to each other+++

Caldersson

Caldersson

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 502 posts

This should end the discussion, straight from GW mouth:

Can I still use all my models?
Yes. Every Warhammer 40,000 miniature we sell today will be usable in the new edition of Warhammer 40,000. What’s more, they’ll be supported with new rules, which will be available from the get go in handy, low-cost books.

Thank god, now to start ordering and painting.

• Jarl Kjaran Coldheart likes this
Challenges Completed:sml_gallery_69091_12729_6611.jpggallery_4664_11830_1029.jpeg<p> Looking to buy Wulfen or SW Termie shields, send me a PM.

Triszin

Triszin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,267 posts

however all books will not be compatible with 8th

banana

Valerian

Valerian

++ EQUITES ALATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,931 posts
  • Chapter Name: Space Wolves and Grey Knights

however all books will not be compatible with 8th

Same as the move from 2nd to 3rd.  I think most of us already suspected that, anyway.  In my opinion it's a good thing, as we can get a clean slate across the board.

Caldersson

Caldersson

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 502 posts

To be honest this whole thread was supposed to be either a yes or no to the whole rumor. I expected 2 or 3 answer and maybe if I was lucky an explanation. It turned into 3 pages of discussion/argument and hate. Some got defensive and started calling me out for hating TWC and such, I may hate the models and idea of riding wolves but the unit is essential for the SW style of outflank and blitz attack that I want to use. Without TWC it makes it impossible. Yes I may use Outriders in the future but they are still TWC just my style. 

I did not want to ask the mods to close the thread for I may be taken as a coward.

Then it'll eventually fade away. 

As long as it stays civil, it's safe from my frost axe.

I think with the 8th Ed FAQ out, we can close this topic. The whole basis is now moot.

CrusherJoe

CrusherJoe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 167 posts
  • Chapter Name: Wolves, Sisters, Marines
GW has stated multiple times (check many threads on their FB page) that all current models will have rules at launch and be usable. TWC are definitely NOT going away.
QUOTE (Lagrath @ Jul 22 2008, 06:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chaos players complaining about goodies in the vanilla codex is hilarious to watch. It's like Bill Gates complaining that the blue-collar worker down the street won 500 dollars in the lottery.

"I am not alone," said Celestine. "And your hour is done."

Caldersson

Caldersson

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 502 posts

GW has stated multiple times (check many threads on their FB page) that all current models will have rules at launch and be usable. TWC are definitely NOT going away.

I think we have established that with the last few posts in this thread.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users