Any novels about rogue traders?

If you can track them down on ebay there are long out of print books such as Crossfire (IIRC), where Arbites Officer Shira Calpurnia has a load of dealings with Rogue Traders and has some interesting fluff and Eye of Terror which was about a Rogue Trader who thought the tales of the EoT were basically just ghost stories and that there must be some good loot there.

There is, but they're *really* old, and I don't know if they're in print. I'm going to have to search for their titles even, it was a two book series...

EDIT: They're Eye of Terror (not the Heresy novel), and Execution Hour.

Cheers,

Jono

Edited by Grotsmasha

Rogue Star and Star of Damocles are older Black Library books, if they haven't been released on ebook they might be hard to track down.

I've seen both pop up on ebay occasionally, and often fairly cheaply..

The book from the Calpurnia-Trilogy that deals with Rogue Traders is the second one, Legacy. Should still be available as part of the omnibus, Enforcer, or as e-book.

It's about a dispute over the succession of one of the really old RT charters (one that was signed by the Emperor!). The book's quite interesting in that it switches perspective regularly, from the titular Arbites characters (who presides over the ruling) to the RT's heir(s) to the masters of the RT's fleet and other characters, offering insight into a few different factions and organizations.

Edited by JaqTaar

The second Calpurnia novel, "Legacy" also happens to be my favourite novel. (NOT restricted to BL.)

It does indeed feature Rogue Traders, in addition to Arbites, Imperial Navy, Adeptus Mechanicus, Ecclessiarchy etc.

Matt Farrer is an amazing writer. An early observation that I stand by still is that in a single sentence he often weaves as much memorable and interesting as many authors manage in an entire chapter. (And some, a novel!)

It does mean he can sometimes be a bit heavy going, but it's exquisite too.

The second Calpurnia novel, "Legacy" also happens to be my favourite novel. (NOT restricted to BL.)

It does indeed feature Rogue Traders, in addition to Arbites, Imperial Navy, Adeptus Mechanicus, Ecclessiarchy etc.

Matt Farrer is an amazing writer. An early observation that I stand by still is that in a single sentence he often weaves as much memorable and interesting as many authors manage in an entire chapter. (And some, a novel!)

It does mean he can sometimes be a bit heavy going, but it's exquisite too.

Farrer like Fehervari - he writes seldomly but almost everything he writes is amazing. I can't wait to get my hands on Urdesh!

Definitely agreed on the quality of Farrer's writing.

Haven't really kept up to date on BL stuff. Any Farrer releases since the short story about Angron?

Of course! Amazing duology of novellas set in Sabbat Worlds and several shorts. And of Course upcoming SMB novel 'Urdesh' set at the same time as the new Gaunt Ghosts novel 'Warmaster':

I would love Farrer to do some more Arbites books, but I was gutted after I asked him on the twitter sphere and he said he had no plans in that direction.

Rogue Trader novels don't really exist in the pure sense which is a great opportunity for an enterprising author to strut his stuff. They are a gold mine of opportunity.

Nearly all the stuff I have on Rogue Traders comes from the RPG made a couple years ago by FFG? Personally I would Love to see a book centering on them and their adventures. These novels that everyone is mentioning, do they really focus on the Traders themselves, or are they just supporting characters? I read the Mars trilogy and Captain Roboute was a pretty good character, but he was just one among a host of others in that series. So, any stars out there I should be looking for?

Rogue Star and Star of Damocles are older Black Library books, if they haven't been released on ebook they might be hard to track down.

Rogue Star is pretty good indeed. Andy Hoare is not the best writer at BL by a long way but that book was great. Also had fairly adult themes (or at least an orgy scene) that I do not expect BL to permit in future books!

The book from the Calpurnia-Trilogy that deals with Rogue Traders is the second one, Legacy. Should still be available as part of the omnibus, Enforcer, or as e-book.

It's about a dispute over the succession of one of the really old RT charters (one that was signed by the Emperor!). The book's quite interesting in that it switches perspective regularly, from the titular Arbites characters (who presides over the ruling) to the RT's heir(s) to the masters of the RT's fleet and other characters, offering insight into a few different factions and organizations.

Legacy is a GREAT book and easily IMHO the best book on a Rogue Traders I have read.

If you'd like to see Andy Hoare's trilogy reprinted, drop BL customer services an email.

IF YOU BOOK THEM, THEY WILL COME.

By the way LaurieJGoulding

how many of fans should demand them to actually see them reprinted? I do not think that if 2 or 3 persons will ask about that - BL will reprint the whole range?

There was an ongoing longlist at BL, of all the possible candidate titles for reprint/digital re-release. It includes EVERY book ever released, that's how long it is. The only limitation is time and the cost of production, which then prioritises certain things over others, usually the more popular stories.

Obviously the more people request a specific title, the more likely a re-issue will be - that was certainly how it worked when I was there, anyway. It's not a guarantee, but still. Give BL any justification for a reprint. People monitor the email more closely than the FB comments and so forth.

I mean, come on, what have you got to lose? It'll take you 10 seconds to write an email, and it's free to send it to BL. If everyone on this thread emailed requesting the same book within a week, then that info would likely be passed on to the editors and the planning teams.

There was an ongoing longlist at BL, of all the possible candidate titles for reprint/digital re-release. It includes EVERY book ever released, that's how long it is. The only limitation is time and the cost of production, which then prioritises certain things over others, usually the more popular stories.

Obviously the more people request a specific title, the more likely a re-issue will be - that was certainly how it worked when I was there, anyway. It's not a guarantee, but still. Give BL any justification for a reprint. People monitor the email more closely than the FB comments and so forth.

I mean, come on, what have you got to lose? It'll take you 10 seconds to write an email, and it's free to send it to BL. If everyone on this thread emailed requesting the same book within a week, then that info would likely be passed on to the editors and the planning teams.

Only last week I emailed BL asking if they had any plans to reprint Firecaste because I missed it first time round (worst example of a misleading title ever) or if it was going to be included in an omnibus soon? Got reply...no to both questions.

So I bought a second hand copy!

Only last week I emailed BL asking if they had any plans to reprint Firecaste because I missed it first time round (worst example of a misleading title ever) or if it was going to be included in an omnibus soon? Got reply...no to both questions.

So I bought a second hand copy!

Because Firecaste definitely worth it

Done. Here's a template for a copy and paste folks.

Hi,

I would love to see Andy Hoare's Rogue Trader trilogy reprinted. Would snap those bad boys up right away. Just saying.

Regards,

Nice one - will do for us :whistling: