Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Castellans of the Imperium and forge world

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

StaggerLee

StaggerLee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 66 posts

I am reading the rules for the lightning, and it says the following "A Lightning may be selected as a Fast Attack choice for a Battle-forged army with the Faction Astra Militarum." Does this mean if i took the combined detachment from gathering storm fall of cadia, and included a model from astra militarum to gain the astra militarum faction (as it states that the army is composed of multiple factions) that i could then include a lightning in that army?

The Traitor

The Traitor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 851 posts
  • Chapter Name: Harvesters of Souls, SoH
I beleive that the Castellans of the Imperium Detachment doesn't allows you to take any fast attack option but gives you a selection of units to pick from. As in that list no FW units are mentioned they cannot be taken.

gallery_92948_12012_32551.jpggallery_92948_12012_9248.jpg

They rose from the dead to slay the living:

The Harvesters of Souls, the II Legion and their various allies.

The Grimdark Harvest, my hobby and commissions blog, and a thread here, in B&C.

StaggerLee

StaggerLee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 66 posts

it gives a list yes, BUT it does have slots. hq, fast attack etc. just like a codex gives a list on what you can take, but you can still add things onto it from forge world. I will have the astra militarum faction as one of my factions and i do have a 6 fast attack slots.

StaggerLee

StaggerLee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 66 posts

To summarize better my reasoning:

The Stipulation is this: A Lightning may be selected as a Fast Attack choice for a Battle-forged army with the Faction Astra Militarum

My addresses to the issues:

On page 128 of fall of cadia, it specifically mentions that Castellans of the Imperium is a battle forged army in the second paragraph.

On page 130, under Restrictions, it clearly states you must take two FACTIONS in your army, so by taking something with the Astra Militarum in my force I gain the Astra Militarum Faction.

On page 131, there is clearly an entry for Fast Attack.

For those saying its a specific list, so is a codex, doesn't mean it can't be added on. 

What are peoples thoughts?

Toasterfree

Toasterfree

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,153 posts
  • Chapter Name: Wolves

for the list of units that you can take out of that book, that's it. if its not on the list you cant take it.

fall of cadia also isn't the c:AM. which all units out of it would have have the faction AM. FoC is castellans of the imperium faction, as well as all of the other factions listed in the book.

Edited by Toasterfree, 18 April 2017 - 06:55 PM.

QUOTE ('Forgotten Knight")
EDIT: I just checked and in the listing it does say "Power Weapon". So maces, swords, axes, spears, and chopsticks would be legal, as long as thier powered. :-P
QUOTE (Heimdal @ Oct 6 2009, 02:33 PM) 
Search with the servo sperm and thou shalt find!

I am a tank. You will not get past me. If you DO get past me, you will not get the rest of my team, as they have already fled. Unless my team doesnt want to leave me behind, which I will take as many of you with me as I can, before you get to the rest of us.

casb1965

casb1965

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 372 posts
  • Chapter Name: Inquisitor Ximénes de Cisneros

I agree with the majority here the Castellans formation has a list of units you can take, if it's not on the list you can't take it.

IIRC the only thing outside that list you can take is the FW characters from the Badab books as GW deemed they were "Captains" in the SM codex.

Toasterfree

Toasterfree

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,153 posts

even those I don't think would be able to be done. they replace the ones in the SM codex, not in Fall of Cadia.

EDIT: I just checked and in the listing it does say "Power Weapon". So maces, swords, axes, spears, and chopsticks would be legal, as long as thier powered. :-P

I am a tank. You will not get past me. If you DO get past me, you will not get the rest of my team, as they have already fled. Unless my team doesnt want to leave me behind, which I will take as many of you with me as I can, before you get to the rest of us.

casb1965

casb1965

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 372 posts

even those I don't think would be able to be done. they replace the ones in the SM codex, not in Fall of Cadia.

The Castellans list "Captain (SM)" meaning you can choose the HQ Captain from that Codex plus any upgrades available to that HQ choice. GW have stated that the FW 6th ed Badab characters can replace the Captain in the Codex, I just followed through the logic that FW 6th Ed Badab character = C:SM Captain = Castellans Captain HQ Choice.

Mr. Shine

Mr. Shine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 398 posts
  • Chapter Name: Ultramarines

The Castellans list "Captain (SM)" meaning you can choose the HQ Captain from that Codex plus any upgrades available to that HQ choice. GW have stated that the FW 6th ed Badab characters can replace the Captain in the Codex, I just followed through the logic that FW 6th Ed Badab character = C:SM Captain = Castellans Captain HQ Choice.

I seem to recall they said this with specific reference to the Codex: Space Marines Detachments and Formations which allow you to replace the Captain with named characters from the codex, rather than any Captain anywhere. Open to correction if someone has the post or email reference, though!

EDIT:

Found this thread, with the following from Forgeworld in 2015:

"In the meantime we think it's perfectly acceptable to replace any of the character types mentioned in the Codex: Space Marine formations with any of the Forge World Space Marine characters where appropriate. By this last point we mean Captains exchanged for Captains, Chaplains for Chaplains and Chapter Masters or Chapters Masters etc."

So unless there's been an updated commentary from them, it appears to apply only to the Formations from the codex.

Edited by Mr. Shine, 20 April 2017 - 11:00 PM.

casb1965

casb1965

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 372 posts

Reading the thread they answered the question asked but I would say that if it is relevant to the formations in the codex then it should be relevant to any formation including SM HQs.

Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra

Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,467 posts

If it's isn't on the list, it doesn't get in the door.

we_badge_ezra.png

Toasterfree

Toasterfree

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,153 posts

its the same principal of why you cant take any of the FW eldar stuff in the ynnari detachment.

Mr. Shine

Mr. Shine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 398 posts
  • Chapter Name: Ultramarines

Reading the thread they answered the question asked but I would say that if it is relevant to the formations in the codex then it should be relevant to any formation including SM HQs.

The difference is the codex formations specifically allow named characters to be taken in place of a Captain, which the Forgeworld response is in consistency reference to.

Castellans of the Imperium does not allow the same named character taking in place of a Captain.
  • Toasterfree likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users