Viability of a Terminator army in HH?

General Strike

If you want proper terminator mobility either night Lords or imperial fists as they both get teleportation transponders for deep strike fun times.

Otherwise id recommend something in the iron hands or blood angels. Or maybe sons of horus. Or maybe thousand sons sekhmet.

To be quite honest if you want to go whole terminators you pick whichever legion you like the best because most of the time there's a legion perk they benefit from.

Example, alpha legion you could have an army of infiltrating terminators, plus the lernean get conversion beamers. Bit niche application that but yeah. There's someone who could better explain it, but I think a first company terminator list would be super fluffy/fun to play.

I don't have my books with me, but check out Death Guard. Both Legion-specific units are Terminators, and the Rite of War lends itself to Termie-style warfare

Not completely sold that the Death Guard unique rites are of much benefit to terminators, but completely agree that Death Guard can make a compelling terminator force since deathshroud can be taken in both HQ (even as the warlord) and Elite slots, and grave wardens can be taken in heavy. 

I was looking at the Primarchs chosen ROW, since it makes Termies into troops, and I think Sons of Horus, Imperial Fists, Iron Hands or Blood Angels looks cool. Do the Dark Angels have a Deathwing version in 30k?

On the Dark Angels....not yet! So far we only have Rites of War for Ravenwing and Ironwing, but hopefully when Angelus drops we will get Deathwing (and other wings) in 30k.

With Imperial Fists you could just run Dorn and unlock Terminators as troops sans RoW too; a few other Characters/Primarchs do that too. Lets you have a more flexible build for your army and not as reliant as keeping your Primarch alive or lose all scoring type deal.

I mean technically anyone can run a terminator only list by using pride of the legion, it's just that the two legions with teleporter transponders will give you more flexibility with deploying your terminators and let you save pts on transports, while legions with their own special terminator variants like death guard and iron warriors to name a few will make for a bit more interesting lists. End of the day though literally any legion can make a terminator heavy list work, just with varying degrees of success. 

You guys mentioned Sekhmet Terminators already, and you're right, I'm just going to break it down for our Brother here, because when I started it took me awhile to navigate all the Legion-specific units and Legion Tactics and Rites.  Here's a breakdown for you, Brother HCMistborn:

For a Terminator-heavy army, the most optimised example imho is actually Thousand Sons, thanks to not just their Legion-specific Terminators, but also their Legion Tactic, and a Legion-specific Rite of War called Guard of the Crimson King.

Legion-specific Terminators: Sekhmet Terminators, 2 Wounded, have Shredding bolt shells, psychic powers.  They can be either Tartaros (5++ invul save) or Cataphractii (4++ invul save).  I'd probably choose Cataphractii because...

Legion Tactic: Thousand Sons lets you choose from different Legion Tactic-like things called Cult Arcana (that's a bundle that includes certain psychic powers).  One of them is called Raptora which gives you an invul save of 6++ or improves an existing invul save by 1 (those Sekhmet Cataphractii become 3++), which is good because...

Guard of the Crimson King: this Rite of War turns those Sekhmet Cataphractii into your Compulsory Troops AND lets them Deep Strike with an Independent Character, effectively combining 2 other Rites, Pride of the Legion and Orbital Assault.  But we're not done, because on top of that, the turn they Deep Strike, they project Fear and can re-roll invul saves of 1.  There are other benefits as you'll soon discover, but this is a starting point.

So consider looking into this setup, it's not the only one, but an interesting option.

You guys mentioned Sekhmet Terminators already, and you're right, I'm just going to break it down for our Brother here, because when I started it took me awhile to navigate all the Legion-specific units and Legion Tactics and Rites.  Here's a breakdown for you, Brother HCMistborn:

For a Terminator-heavy army, the most optimised example imho is actually Thousand Sons, thanks to not just their Legion-specific Terminators, but also their Legion Tactic, and a Legion-specific Rite of War called Guard of the Crimson King.

Legion-specific Terminators: Sekhmet Terminators, 2 Wounded, have Shredding bolt shells, psychic powers.  They can be either Tartaros (5++ invul save) or Cataphractii (4++ invul save).  I'd probably choose Cataphractii because...

Legion Tactic: Thousand Sons lets you choose from different Legion Tactic-like things called Cult Arcana (that's a bundle that includes certain psychic powers).  One of them is called Raptora which gives you an invul save of 6++ or improves an existing invul save by 1 (those Sekhmet Cataphractii become 3++), which is good because...

Guard of the Crimson King: this Rite of War turns those Sekhmet Cataphractii into your Compulsory Troops AND lets them Deep Strike with an Independent Character, effectively combining 2 other Rites, Pride of the Legion and Orbital Assault.  But we're not done, because on top of that, the turn they Deep Strike, they project Fear and can re-roll invul saves of 1.  There are other benefits as you'll soon discover, but this is a starting point.

So consider looking into this setup, it's not the only one, but an interesting option.

But be aware, while powerful, you may not make any friends :P

You guys mentioned Sekhmet Terminators already, and you're right, I'm just going to break it down for our Brother here, because when I started it took me awhile to navigate all the Legion-specific units and Legion Tactics and Rites. Here's a breakdown for you, Brother HCMistborn:

Legion-specific Terminators: Sekhmet Terminators, 2 Wounded, have Shredding bolt shells, psychic powers. They can be either Tartaros (5++ invul save) or Cataphractii (4++ invul save). I'd probably choose Cataphractii because...

Legion Tactic: Thousand Sons lets you choose from different Legion Tactic-like things called Cult Arcana (that's a bundle that includes certain psychic powers). One of them is called Raptora which gives you an invul save of 6++ or improves an existing invul save by 1 (those Sekhmet Cataphractii become 3++), which is good because...

Guard of the Crimson King: this Rite of War turns those Sekhmet Cataphractii into your Compulsory Troops AND lets them Deep Strike with an Independent Character, effectively combining 2 other Rites, Pride of the Legion and Orbital Assault. But we're not done, because on top of that, the turn they Deep Strike, they project Fear and can re-roll invul saves of 1. There are other benefits as you'll soon discover, but this is a starting point.

But be aware, while powerful, you may not make any friends :P

I saw a tournament run down and a guy took that list. Pretty much pure termies and magnus. Did above average but by no means was an ultimate killer list. Then again I can't speak for the person whose list it was as to his tactics or those of his opponents. Either way, I don't think it's quite the great friend maker list :p

Depends on how harsh he went with the Crimson King himself, I guess. Considering it's possible to deep strike him centrally to your opponents army and land a couple D6 D Hits on everything... Nothing with an AV value survives.

Perturabo Primarch's Chosen RoW. Deep striking terminator troops on turn 1, with furious charge in enemy deployment zone? 

Not even sure if it works, but it is on my to do list :smile.:

Perturabo being able to call in reserves turn one is insane, but you're better off with Orbital Assault IMO (though that requires some other troops sure).

You then aren't limited in having the right number of guys to vehicles ratio and anything in pods will arrive half guaranteed and the other half rolling... On turn one!

Not counting the 1k sons, IW are a really good terminator force With some distinct advantages. Already there is Golg who is identically armed like the BAC character model who makes terminators troops plus some minor odds and ends. Peturabo allows the terminators to deepstrike on 1st turn, I forget if its just his squad or all terminators. We also have the awesome Tyrant terminators which while expensive are monsters and you will wipe a squad or target a turn with them at long range. Supposedly they are getting models soon but conversion is stupidly easy and cheap and I think most of us have already made a squad or two. Throw in some heavy tanks, the fact that IW legion models wont run or panic in the face of shooting(negating half of the problem of legion troops in general)  and its a solid army.

Perturabo being able to call in reserves turn one is insane, but you're better off with Orbital Assault IMO (though that requires some other troops sure).

You then aren't limited in having the right number of guys to vehicles ratio and anything in pods will arrive half guaranteed and the other half rolling... On turn one!

Why not both? Take Perturabo and Erasmus Golg in an Orbital Assault list. Golg unlocks Legion Terminators as Troops choices. Now you can Deep Strike ALL THE TERMINATORS on turn 1!

...wait... ...what have I done...

***edit*** Don't do it, it's illegal. As someone points out below, Golg only does this if he is the Warlord, which Perturabo would be if both were included.

Edited by Emperors Teeth

If your area rules that Sekhmet can choose their powers from Pyromancy and Telekenesis(????) then you can safely run them as Raptora with Tartaros since you can just select Firey Form for a 4++ that gets boosted to a 3++ and still have all the movement benefits over Cataphractii such as running and Sweeping.

Perturabo being able to call in reserves turn one is insane, but you're better off with Orbital Assault IMO (though that requires some other troops sure). You then aren't limited in having the right number of guys to vehicles ratio and anything in pods will arrive half guaranteed and the other half rolling... On turn one!

Why not both? Take Perturabo and Erasmus Golg in an Orbital Assault list. Golg unlocks Legion Terminators as Troops choices. Now you can Deep Strike ALL THE TERMINATORS on turn 1!...wait... ...what have I done...

Golg can only make termies troops if hes warlord which Perturabo automatically is when included.

Just remember that you can't charge after using Levitate to get around the table. But deepstrike + Levitate to get into position for a charge the following turn is pretty decent if somewhat predictable.

Still, in Tartaros, having Termies that can Move 6", Run D6" then Levitate up to 12" makes them pretty speedy if/when needed.

Just keep in mind every time you use a power you run the risk of something blowing up, including pinning your whole army. That's sort of the problem when people go Tartaros! Fiery Form! Levitation!

And that you're not guaranteed the powers will go off in the first place.

Same with Iron Warriors, but Let me ask you a question:

You choose your Legion by the fact if they can bring a Terminator only list?

Yeah, I have no particular loyalty to any legion, I love all the Primarchs and Legions for different reasons, but the one unit I have always been super into is Terminators. If I had to break it down, I think Tsons, Imp Fists, Iron Warriors, Sons of Horus, Blood Angels, and Dark Angels are my favorites, which is why I chose to go with a list building tech over legion. :P

I do love the Sehkmet Terminators and Darth Vader Iron Warrior Terminators. And Perturabo, Horus, and Magnus all have gorgeous models. I will mess around with some IW and Tsons Lists for now, methinks.