Viability of a Terminator army in HH?

General Strike

Same with Iron Warriors, but Let me ask you a question:

You choose your Legion by the fact if they can bring a Terminator only list?

Yeah, I have no particular loyalty to any legion, I love all the Primarchs and Legions for different reasons, but the one unit I have always been super into is Terminators. If I had to break it down, I think Tsons, Imp Fists, Iron Warriors, Sons of Horus, Blood Angels, and Dark Angels are my favorites, which is why I chose to go with a list building tech over legion. :P

I do love the Sehkmet Terminators and Darth Vader Iron Warrior Terminators. And Perturabo, Horus, and Magnus all have gorgeous models. I will mess around with some IW and Tsons Lists for now, methinks.

Just do it.

Just keep in mind every time you use a power you run the risk of something blowing up, including pinning your whole army. That's sort of the problem when people go Tartaros! Fiery Form! Levitation!

And that you're not guaranteed the powers will go off in the first place.

I don't like the Fiery Form plan. I'd run them in Cata with Smite, Levitate, and Mechanicum Obscura. Obviously Raptora. 2 dice at Levitate gives a 90% chance of success and a 3% chance of Perils. Then at the end of the phase you can drop a single die on MO for some Haywire shots. I think that's the best way to run them.

Which RoW goes best with a Primarch-Terminator force?

Pride of the Legion that allows Termies and vets as troops but at the cost of extra victory point, or Primarch's chosen, which is pretty much the same but can't count as scoring if the big man goes down.

All this talk of Terminators is making me want to assemble the 10 tartaros and 10 Cataphractii I got stashed and buy a Perturabo and some combi plasma

As others have said; IF's and NL's are decent with transponders, but different characters/primarchs have shenanigans that can unlock them as troops, or improve them to a certain extent. Thanks to ROWs though, you can do it with any legion (some will obviously be stronger than others), however. I'd also question why you're choosing a legion purely based on this...?

Something that hasn't really been mentioned, though, is Sallie's Firedrakes. They're obviously not quite on par with the Sekhmet, but in my experience they are still pretty good (I'm really biased though). 2 wounds, 3++ invulns, S8 concussive attacks (with hammers)... they can be pretty hard to move, and their models look shmexy.

As others have said; IF's and NL's are decent with transponders, but different characters/primarchs have shenanigans that can unlock them as troops, or improve them to a certain extent. Thanks to ROWs though, you can do it with any legion (some will obviously be stronger than others), however. I'd also question why you're choosing a legion purely based on this...?

Something that hasn't really been mentioned, though, is Sallie's Firedrakes. They're obviously not quite on par with the Sekhmet, but in my experience they are still pretty good (I'm really biased though). 2 wounds, 3++ invulns, S8 concussive attacks (with hammers)... they can be pretty hard to move, and their models look shmexy.

Other than looks, why would you give them Hammets over Chainfists? Hammets help against multi wound t5 models and models with EW, so basically, Mechanicum, Primarchs and other salamanders. Chainfists wreck all vehicles.

Everyone's said how viable each Legion would be as a termie-only force, but how practical would a pure force actually be? Not many models, large points-expensive transports (e.g. land raiders, spartans, the big drop-pods)? What would a generic non legion-specific list (with P'sC or PotL Right of Wars) look like?

Everyone's said how viable each Legion would be as a termie-only force, but how practical would a pure force actually be? Not many models, large points-expensive transports (e.g. land raiders, spartans, the big drop-pods)? What would a generic non legion-specific list (with P'sC or PotL Right of Wars) look like?

MSU TDA with Dreadclaws and Combi-Weapons, yo. Costs 1/2 of a Kharybdis and all counts towards Drop Pod Assault.

Fill anti-tank needs with Dreadnoughts and have any big super-killy retinue squad in a Kharybdis or Spartan as normal.

Unless you run Perty with T1 Reserves and Terminator Deepstrike or equivalent.

Also depends on the size but if we're going generic building blocks, you could go:

+++ TDA Bonanza (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy) [3500pts] +++

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [3500pts] ++

+ HQ +

Legion Centurion [147pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Combi-Weapon, Thunderhammer
. . Consul: Primus Medicae

Legion Praetor [468pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Combi-Weapon, Digital Lasers, Mastercraft a Single Weapon, Paragon Blade
. . Legion Terminator Command Squad: Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Chainfist, 3x Combi-weapon, 2x Legion Space Marine Chosen, Legion Standard Bearer, 2x Power Fist
. . . . Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod: Frag Assault Launchers

+ Elites +

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon [315pts]
. . Legion Contemptor Dreadnought: Chainfist with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, 2x Graviton Gun, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon [315pts]
. . Legion Contemptor Dreadnought: Chainfist with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, 2x Graviton Gun, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod

+ Troops +

Legion Terminator Squad [360pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 2x Chainfist, 4x Combi-Weapon, 4x Legion Terminators, 2x Power Fist
. . Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod: Frag Assault Launchers
. . Legion Terminator Sergeant: Combi-Weapon, Power Fist

Legion Terminator Squad [360pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 2x Chainfist, 4x Combi-Weapon, 4x Legion Terminators, 2x Power Fist

+ Heavy Support +

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon [405pts]: Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod
. . Leviathan Siege Dreadnought: Cyclonic Melta Lance, Heavy Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Leviathan Siege Claw, Phosphex Discharger

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon [410pts]: Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod
. . Leviathan Siege Dreadnought: Cyclonic Melta Lance, Heavy Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Leviathan Siege Drill, Phosphex Discharger

+ Legion +

Legiones Astartes

Rite of War: Pride of the Legion

Only 25 TDA bodies, 4 Dreadnoughts and 9 Pods but should cover most bases; you can further specialize the Terminators as you see fit since all Combis cost the same; claws and fists do too. So if you want some Horde Clearing or TDA Shredding, you have the room to do so.

Gave the Praetor a Command Squad otherwise no real room for him in a pod anywhere without limiting list flexibility; also went with a Primus Medicae instead of 4th Command Squad Member to help with survivability vs small arms and S7 or lower weapons.

But, with 9 Pods, you have 5 coming down on T1 and the rest on T2+. Depending on Legion and FoC Slot shuffling, you could free up quite a bit more points; such as lists that let you DS Termies instead saving you ~115 per squad that you won't/don't want dropping in T1 freeing up the points for a Command Rhino, ETA Proteus or Comms Relay as necessary.

• 7 months later...