Priming 3D printed material

Hello, 

I'm wondering if there is anything I need to know about priming (with a spray can, hopefully) some combat shields that I bought off of Shapeways? I've never worked with this stuff and the last thing I want to do is ruin my purchase. Any help would be appreciated, even if it's "proceed as normal, business as usual."

Thanks,

Orangebob

It should prime like any other plastic. Assuming you didn't order a print in an exotic material. The plastics aren't styrene, but paint won't know the difference. You may notice your plastic glue isn't as effective, though.

The Sapeways Polyjet process will use a wax as a support structure as it prints the part. Shapways will give it a heat treatment to melt the wax and and a wash to remove the residue as part of their process. Simple objects will clean easily and be free of all residue, but more complex objects/details may have a bit remaining. You should be fine without it most of the time, but if you want to be really safe just give the parts a wash with some isopropyl alcohol and a light scrub with a old toothbrush.

Archived