Few questions regarding a drop pod and interceptor

Karsus

Hey, folks, could you guys help me with some rules please?

Suppose that my opponent is going first and dropping a pod with Leviathan. I have a Deredeo within range.

1) Can I choose to use helical array even though it's not my turn yet?

2) If I can shoot the Intercepter fire, will I still have to Snap Shot the Leviathan due to Skyfire on the array?

3) If I have a character with augery scanner joined on a Rapier squad, and said Leviathan dropped within the scanner range, can the Rapier shoot it?

Hey, folks, could you guys help me with some rules please?

Suppose that my opponent is going first and dropping a pod with Leviathan. I have a Deredeo within range.

2) If I can shoot the Intercepter fire, will I still have to Snap Shot the Leviathan due to Skyfire on the array?

3) If I have a character with augery scanner joined on a Rapier squad, and said Leviathan dropped within the scanner range, can the Rapier shoot it?

1) i don't think you can

2) Yes

3) Yes, in the enemy shooting phase.

Most people just play it as being Interceptor because it can get :cussy otherwise in certain situations.

In what situations exactly? 

See this topic: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/326956-augury-scanner-timing-during-shooting-phase/

As the topic mentions, since it happens in your opponent's shooting phase and, during their turn, can decide the sequencing of simultaneously occurring actions as well as the Augury Scanner making no mention of when the interceptor-like attack can occur, then, played RaW, you could have a unit drop down right in front of the Augury Scanner unit, say a Combi-Plas Terminator Unit, move in to the shooting phase and sequence your terminators shooting attack to occur first, obliterate the Augury Scanner equipped unit and thus suffer no Pseudo-Interceptor fire. And, in this scenario, no other unit within the bubble would be able to attempt to intercept since the source granting this ability would no longer be in play by the time it came to them to perform said action.

This is an example amongst a few.

Another being that you could just Run/ Flat Out back out of the Augury Scanners bubble or move out of Line of Sight thus negating the Pseudo-Interceptor attack from even occurring.

So, yeah, just doing it as regular interceptor (occurring at the end of movement) just makes things easier :p

And now back to the topic at hand! :D

1) So long as you haven't moved, yes. So for example if you had first turn and moved your Dreadnought, you can't use Helical Targeting Array. 

2) Yeah you will only Snap Shot. It's why Augury scanners are so useful

3) Yep, at the end of the enemy Movement phase (as per Interceptor rules). The Mechanicum augury scanner has the updated rules. 

pg.110 of the Taghmata Omnissiah army book

'Augury Scanner:

...Enemy models deployed using Deep Strike within this range can also be attacked by a unit carrying an augury scanner in the Shooting phase as if their Rapid Fire and Heavy weapons (if they have any) had the Interceptor special rule'

So long as by the end of the enemy Movement phase the target is still within 18" of you, you're good to go. 

but that is the point, the augury scanner states "in the Shooting Phase", Inteceptor states "at the end of the enemies movement phase"
problem being that the players who's turn it is decides in which order shooting attacks happen in his phase so he can simply make your Augury Scanner shoots happen after everything else in his shooting phase

but that is the point, the augury scanner states "in the Shooting Phase", Inteceptor states "at the end of the enemies movement phase"

problem being that the players who's turn it is decides in which order shooting attacks happen in his phase so he can simply make your Augury Scanner shoots happen after everything else in his shooting phase

No that's the old wording to Augury Scanner. Mechanicum have 18" Interceptor. 

Personally I'd play it as being the same for Legion and SA/Militia. 

'Augury Scanner:

...Enemy models deployed using Deep Strike within this range can also be attacked by a unit carrying an augury scanner in the Shooting phase as if their Rapid Fire and Heavy weapons (if they have any) had the Interceptor special rule'

So long as by the end of the enemy Movement phase the target is still within 18" of you, you're good to go. 

That's how the rule appears in the Mechanicum army book. I generally operate on the assumption that latest > older rules. FW have innumerable oversights in their books, this is just one such discrepancy. Taghmata came out after the Legion army list. So I would have no problem with Legion players using the 18" Interceptor bubble version. It works as intended and the older wording I think is a hangover from 6th edition. 

'Augury Scanner:

That's how the rule appears in the Mechanicum army book. I generally operate on the assumption that latest > older rules. FW have innumerable oversights in their books, this is just one such discrepancy. Taghmata came out after the Legion army list. So I would have no problem with Legion players using the 18" Interceptor bubble version. It works as intended and the older wording I think is a hangover from 6th edition. 

Thats the same wording as the Space Marine one though:

pg.131: LA:AODL

"[...] Enemy models deployed using Deep Strike within this range can also be attacked by a unit carrying an augury scanner in the Shooting phase as if their Rapid Fire and Heavy weapons (if they have any) had the Interceptor Special rule."

Problem here, is that, when does this "Interceptor-like" attack happen in your opponents Shooting Phase? Since regular interceptor happens at the end of the movement phase.

Thats the issue here.

And, what a few people have ruled is that, to save everybody some trouble, just roll with it as being actual interceptor occurring at the end of the movement phase for less headaches/debates/etc.

Helical targeting array grants Interceptor AND Skyfire for all its weapons so he can only use full BS against flyers and skimmers, everything else is snapshots

Additionally you have to declare the use in your movement phase so you already have those rules in your turn

Something to also keep in mind is that the Dreadnought cannot turn to face the target. It must use its current facing and firing arc of 45 degrees, Dreadnoughts can only pivot in their movement phase or in the assault phase when being assaulted (they may turn to face the charging unit).

Archived