Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1,750 pt Space Wolf List

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Mattricularstrange

Mattricularstrange

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4 posts

Good afternoon,

This is my first time posting on the site in many years. I am just getting back into the hobby after a 3 year hiatus, I have purchased the SW codex, but I am waiting to see what 8th edition brings before purchasing rule books.

I am attempting to put together a functional army list for 1,750 pts. All the models listed I currently own, and most are painted. I would still need to purchase the 2 Rhinos, but otherwise this list would not require me to buy any new miniatures.

Having said that, I am not opposed to spending some money, I would just prefer to work with what I have before rushing out and buying (which is, as you are all aware, very easy to do.)

Without further ado, here is my list, for what it is worth. Without an understanding of how things are currently standing, I am unsure where to go from here.

I appreciate all comments and thoughts, I am hoping to have a well rounded force before the new rule set comes out so I can hit the table running, as it were.

HQ

Wolf Lord 

Runic Armor

Thunder Hammer

Combi Melta

Rune Priest 

Runic Armor

Wolf Guard Battle Leader 

Terminator Armour w Storm Bolter and Power Sword

ELITE

Wolf Guard Terminators (5)

2 w Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield

1 w Heavy Flamer and Power Fist

*Joined by WGBL

Dreadnought

Twin Linked Lascannon

Built in Heavy Flamer

Extra Armour

FAST ATTACK

Swiftclaw Bike Pack (7)

1 w Power Axe

1 as Wolf Guard Pack Leader w Power Fist 

1 w Plasmagun

TROOPS

Grey Hunters (9)

1 w Meltagun

1 as WGPL w Power Weapon

1 w Bolt Pistol and Power Axe

6 w Bolt Pistol and CCW

Drop Pod

*Joined by Wolf Lord

Grey Hunters (10)

2 w Plasmagun

8 w Boltguns and CCW

Drop Pod

HEAVY SUPPORT

Long Fangs (5)

1 w Lascannons

3 w Missile Launchers

2 w Flakk Missiles

*Joined by Rune Priest- Divination

Long Fangs (5)

1 w Lascannon

3 w Missile Launchers

2 w Flakk Missiles

Whirlwind

Extra Armour

HK Missile

Edited by Mattricularstrange, 21 April 2017 - 11:13 PM.

jbickb

jbickb

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,519 posts
Just a heads up darker fonts work better as those of us on our phones have a white background, not black.
Never Mistake:
My Silence for Ignorance
My Calmness for Acceptance
My Kindness for Weakness

Mattricularstrange

Mattricularstrange

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4 posts

Thank you,

I have darkened it.

Kasper_Hawser

Kasper_Hawser

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 971 posts
  • Chapter Name: Vlka Fenryka

Hi Mattricular, 

welcome back to the hobby, although you've come at a rather odd time when we are at the crossroads of what seems to be (at least I hope), a dramatic change to the game as we know it.

Good balance list. Just don't fight anything that has an super heavy or GMC. Against other infantry armies, even Gladius or demi companies, I think has a fair chance.

One odd thing though. How can a swiftclaw carry a plasma cannon? or do you mean plasma gun?

For the terminators, I think you need either another storm shield/TH guy, or replace Heavy Flamer with 2 termies carrying combi weapons, either plasma or melta. That way you can deepstrike and hopefully blow something up or weaken them enough to survive shooting after deepstrike.

"The 6th Legion has a reputation." said Bear.
"All the Legions Astartes have reputations," replied Hawser.
"Not like ours," said Ogvai "We are known for our ferocity. We are thought to be feral and undisciplined. Even brother Legions consider us to be wild and bestial."
"And you're not ?" asked Hawser.
"If we need to be," said Ogvai. "but if that was our natural state, we'd all be dead by now."
He leaned down towards Hawser like a parent addressing a child.
"It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous" he said.

Excerpt from "Prospero Burns" by Dan Abnett

jbickb

jbickb

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,519 posts
I agree with Kasper the list looks pretty balanced and should be fun. And with 8th being a mystery at the moment it should be a good starting point until we see ehere the game goes.

On a side note, your grey hunters require 10 man units to get 2 special weapons. And if I read your list right both are 9 man units.
Never Mistake:
My Silence for Ignorance
My Calmness for Acceptance
My Kindness for Weakness

Mattricularstrange

Mattricularstrange

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4 posts

Thank you for the responses,

I have edited the list to 1,750 pts, taking in some of the advice that has been given and adjusting some of my oversights. 

Fahlnor

Fahlnor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 324 posts

Good afternoon,

This is my first time posting on the site in many years. I am just getting back into the hobby after a 3 year hiatus, I have purchased the SW codex, but I am waiting to see what 8th edition brings before purchasing rule books.

I am attempting to put together a functional army list for 1,750 pts. All the models listed I currently own, and most are painted. I would still need to purchase the 2 Rhinos, but otherwise this list would not require me to buy any new miniatures.

Having said that, I am not opposed to spending some money, I would just prefer to work with what I have before rushing out and buying (which is, as you are all aware, very easy to do.)

Without further ado, here is my list, for what it is worth. Without an understanding of how things are currently standing, I am unsure where to go from here.

I appreciate all comments and thoughts, I am hoping to have a well rounded force before the new rule set comes out so I can hit the table running, as it were.

HQ

Wolf Lord- 105 pts

Runic Armor

Thunder Hammer

Combi Melta

Rune Priest- 60pts

Runic Armor

Wolf Guard Battle Leader- 50 pts

Terminator Armour w Storm Bolter and Power Sword

I was inititally confused by your points here - I assume your total points include the cost of the upgrades? Worth noting that we're not allowed to put points up for individual items or units, so you may want to either remove the points values or give a total points value to include the upgrades.

These are three solid HQs. The load-outs are a little unconventional, but there's not really anything there which will cause you too many issues. If you're limited by models, this is a solid selection of HQs.

ELITE

Wolf Guard Terminators (5)- 165pts

2 w Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield

1 w Heavy Flamer and Power Fist

*Joined by WGBL

Dreadnought- 95pts

Twin Linked Lascannon

Built in Heavy Flamer

Extra Armour

Similarly to the HQs, these look like a couple of solid units which can do a variety of jobs in your list. No issues to report here!

FAST ATTACK

Swiftclaw Bike Pack (7)- 140pts

1 w Power Fist

1 as Wolf Guard Pack Leader w Power Axe

1 w Plasmagun

Unusual not to see Thunderwolves in the Fast Attack slot, but I do rather like bikes. Worth noting that this unit could conceivably be run a a unit of Wolf Guard on bikes, which would make them a stronger unit but more expensive. Plasma is a good shout on the Relentless bike. I'd be inclined to call the power fist your Pack Leader - that gives you the potential to double-out enemy characters in challenges, which means you're causing Instant Death on multi-wound models.

TROOPS

Grey Hunters (9)- 126pts

1 w Meltagun

1 as WGPL w Power Weapon

1 w Bolt Pistol and Power Axe

5 w Bolt Pistol and CCW

Rhino Transport w Extra Armour

*Joined by Wolf Lord

Meltagun combines nicely with the Wolf Lord's combi-melta. Worth noting that Grey Hunters don't have the option of bringing just bolt pistol and chainsword - they will always have a bolter. You have the choice of adding an additional close combat weaopn for a small cost. Leaving the power axe hidden in the unit (rather than on the Pack Leader) means it can't be challenged out and cut down - good shout!

Grey Hunters (10)- 140pts

2 w Plasmagun

7 w Boltguns

Rhino Transport w Extra Armour

I love me some plasma on Grey Hunters. I like to trick out my units for the Rule of Cool, but at the very least I'd always have a couple of plasma guns in the unit! As above, all the models will have bolters - the only choice you have is whether to add a close combat weapon.

Worth noting: Rhinos are awesome, but it's also worth considering Drop Pods. With their Counter Charge special rule plus additional CCW, Grey Hunters aren't so worried about receiving the charge as most Tactical Squad equivalents.

HEAVY SUPPORT

Long Fangs (5)- 75pts

2 w Lascannons

2 w Missile Launchers

Flakk Missiles

*Joined by Rune Priest- Divination

Long Fangs (5)- 75pts

4 w Missile Launchers

2 w Flakk Missiles

I like Long Fangs, too - have just built a squad of 6 with five missile launchers. I'd be tempted to change the units up a little, though - they have Split Fire, which means that one of the unit can fire at a different target from the other models. If you put one lascannon in each squad, you can point the lascannons at suitable units and the missile launchers at different units. As it stands, your unit of two lascannons and two missile launchers will always have at least one model firing at a unit it ideally wouldn't be targetting.

Whirlwind- 65pts

Extra Armour

HK Missile

I think Whirlwinds are really cool, though I never see them run - they're one of those iconic models that really ought to be taken more often. I like it!

Welcome to the Rout, brother!

See my comments above.

Overall, I agree that you have a nice balance of units in the list. There's certainly nothing here I would expect to suffer come 8th edition - everything will still be very valid in a Space Wolf army.

I'd be a little concerned at your army speed, but that's often going to be the case with Space Marine lists.

How do you feel about the list?

Edited by Fahlnor, 21 April 2017 - 02:18 PM.

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_01.jpg

"The Codex has failed us.  Recall the Successors.  We are Legion."

Mattricularstrange

Mattricularstrange

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4 posts

Thank you for the response Fahlnor,

I appreciate the input and have tweaked my list in the first post.

The new list above is 1,749pts, and I feel like it is a pretty balanced force. I took your advice on the Swiftclaw WGBL and have paid the cost for the Boltgun CCW combo on my GH squads. I am wondering if it would it be worth losing the extra armor on my whirlwind to give my Wolf Lord Digital Weapons. If anyone has any further thoughts I would be grateful for them.

Thank you to everyone who has chimed in on this, and I apologize for not posting here originally, it may take me a few weeks to get back into the swing of things. ermm.gif

Regards,

Matt

Edited by Mattricularstrange, 21 April 2017 - 11:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users