//The Descent to Dusk// Vyper's RG Plog and BatRep Journal

I figured it was finally time to start a log thread for my work. I am motivated by our very own _duz to attempt an hour's worth of work each evening with bonus time on weekends to attempt to make some real headway.

My previous thread discussing my backstory and return to the game can be found here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/327513-a-returning-raven-guard-player%E2%80%A6its-been-8-years/

My Raven Guard Background/Liber Guide can be found here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/330304-strike-from-the-shadows-a-raven-guard-glossary-and-guide/

To start off, I am posting this with my submission for the Talon's Reach event in hopes of getting some good CC. A few details about the job:

1) I haven't picked up a brush and finished a model in over a decade - until this model

2) I don't like edge highlighting on vehicles (but I do on Infantry) so I tried to weather this LSS with edge-chipping that would reflect a vehicle spending its time airborne but low to the ground and likely to run into debris/shrubs/branches frequently, and I tried to simulate damage like that. In some areas I feel I was successful, in others a total failure (see the back/above mono-wing side)

3) This isn't finished to a standard that I fully am happy with, and I withheld finishing the pilot/gunner because I am researching options on how to magnetize in a way that can allow me to switch the weapon (trying to magnetize the weapon to the rail seems...impractical. The gunner being in a standing position with his hold on the weapon means he acts as 2 points of the "tri-pod" if you will).

4) This is my first time using my new airbrush (Badger Patriot 105, Badger TC910 Aspire Pro Compressor, Vallejo Primer). I primed with Vallejo and then based with Abaddon Black (I didn't have GW Air Abba Black, so I watered down regular with a mix of water and Airbrush Flow Improver. I tried doing a zenithal highlight with an Incubi Darkness blend, but as you can see it is not noticeable at all.

5) Also my first time using etched brass. The Raven Guard Chapter symbols turned out amazing, and I look forward to using them many times to come. The "Raptor Caedes" scroll on the hood from the same brass sprue however...was awful. The text is so small primer pooled in it, and what little super glue I backed it with seemed to seep through and further cancel out the text. I heavily washed it with Guillman Blue to try to bring that text back to life but it didn't do much. All and all I was forced to accept it, any further tinkering would only make it worse (I think).

6) In my younger years I exclusively painted from the pot direct, and never thinned my paints. This was my first model actually thinning paints and going in layers. It definitely made a huge difference on all the Leadbelcher surfaces (Leadbelcher > Nuln Oil > Leadbelcher > Ironbreaker > Runefang Steel).

Anyway, please be brutal. I will also be posting this in the Works in Progress forum as well.

gallery_16835_12912_677323.jpg

gallery_16835_12912_519012.jpg

@duz: I got two pods assembled and based. So that's probably next. I also have a Razorback with FW AC turret and dozer blade, and I'm going to order RG doors for then that will be next.

Then after that it'd probably on to either scouts or Vanguard Vets, depending on what we do for our RGesque-ETL.

Update for the weekend. I spent ~3 hours tonight getting some layers of Ulthuan Grey on my two pods tonight. The right pod is 3 thin coats, and the left pod is two. I reckon I'll need 4 on each before I can transition to inks and then white hightlights. I'm doing this update from mobile because I'm too tired to go boot up my pc. Corax save me if the formatting is trash.

http://i.imgur.com/oH5SJI3.jpg
Edited by ltvyper

I would always recommend a couple-three coats of Celestra Grey before attempting Ulthuan Grey.

You don't have to leave the base layer visible if you want a paler/truer white, but Ulthuan Grey sits so much better on Celestra Grey than it does on black.

Yup I took me a few coats to of Ulthuan to get it looking good on the pods too.

What size brush are you using?

I have a pair of #4 flat square tipped brushes, one Sable one synthetic. I typically use the synthetic because the Sable is very poor quality and leaves brush strokes. All my good quality brushes are 1-000 winsor newton series 7s, but they are all too small to use on a vehicle, and W&NS7's in larger sizes are murder on the wallet.

Recommendations?

Good tip on the two step grey Damo, I'll have to test that on my razorbacks!

Edited by ltvyper

• 5 months later...

Played against my buddy time, first game with the new Space Marine codex, and his with the new Guard codex.

My list: (7 CP)

Battalion

Shrike

Lieutenant - Jump Pack, Teeth of Terra, Storm Bolter

Lieutenant - Storm Bolter, Chainsword

Scouts x 10 - Snipers, Camo Cloaks, Heavy Bolter

Scouts x 10 - Snipers, Camo Cloaks, Heavy Bolter

Scouts x 5 - Bolters

Venerable Dread - Twin LC + ML

Venerable Dread - Twin LC + ML

Vanguard

Captain - Jump Pack, Storm Bolter, Power Sword

Vanguard Veterans x 10 - 20 x Plasma Pistols

Vanguard Veterans x 10 - (5 x Dual LC, 2 x SS + CS, 3 x TH + SS)

Aggressors x 5 - Boltstorm Gauntlets/Launchers

My opponents Guard list (9 CP)

Battalion

Creed

Platoon Commander

Commisar

Primaris Psyker x 2

Infantry Squad x 6 - 8 x Lasgun, 1 Flamer, Sarg w/ Las Pistol and Chainsword

3 x Heavy Weapon Squads (6 x Lascannon, 3 x Autocannon)

Ratlings x 8

Catachan Detachment

Tank Commander (All Plasma, las hull)

2x Leman Russ (All Plasma, las hull)

Chem-Dog Hellhound x 3

Wyvern x 3

It was Tactical Escalation, we played Table Quarters (9" from center)

I placed Shrike/ToT Lieutenant/Aggressors/Melee Vanguards in SFTS. I placed the Jump Captain and Plasma Vanguard in Deep Strike

My scouts deployed on 3 objectives (one on his flank), bolter scouts in the middle, last one anchoring the objective in my deployment.

Notes on deployment: we frequently set up our tables for long board edge deployment, and then do the standard roll off. When we got quarters, he got to choose, and chose the best quarter, and my quarter was awful (once piece of area terrain)

He deployed Chem Dogs to one side, Plasma Lemans to the other. All his heavy weapon times deployed in a building in the center of his field, and his entire LZ was bubble wrapped with Infantry.

I deployed first, we rolled off (me with the +1). I rolled a 5 (thus a 6) he rolled a 2. He then tried to seize, and succeeded. 

I proceeded to deploy my Aggressors in area cover near his right flank, in front of them which was the building with the heavy weapon teams (about 16" away) 3 of the bubble wrap squads (about 12" away), and his chem dog hellhounds. I placed Shrike/Vanguards/Lieutenant behind the same building, and my Scouts were on the top floor.

He went first, he drew an objective he was already on, easy point. Most of his army shot at the aggressors, and only managed to kill 3.5, and honestly 3 wounds of that was Mortal from the psychic phase. He kept the Chem Dogs in his deployment to discourage me from assaulting. On his left flank his bubble wrap advanced, and it along with the heavy weapon teams shot at those scouts and took out half of them. His right flank advanced as well into my aggressors so he could use FRFSRF on both squads, putting them about 5" from my aggressors. My first turn casualties were 3 Aggressors, 5 scouts, and one SS/CS Vanguard. Overall, not too shabby for getting alpha struck

On my turn, I pounced. I drew Area Denial. My Vanguards/Shrike/Lieutenant all Jumped over the bubble wrap that had advanced on my agressors, landing in the middle of his right flank. My Plasma Vanguards and the captain dropped into terrain mid field to shoot at the bubble wrap to secure my area denial. My 5 scouts left shot at the Commisar, taking it to 1 wound. My other scouts shot at Creed, and did 2 two wounds. My Ven Dreads held their ground and both opened up on the Tank Commander, taking him to 4 wounds (Worth noting one of my Ven Dreads rolled double 1's on his LC hits, and he would go on to do this twice more over the course of the game - every turn I debated using the CP to allow him to reroll 1s to hit, but told myself "you won't roll snake eyes again!").

The 3 aggressors wiped out the bubble wrap squad right in front of them. The lieutenant and two frag grenades from Shrike/The Vanguards peppered the other. My plasma vanguard cleared the center of the board to score the 12"/D3VP version. In my assault phase, I did a large round of multi-charges. Shrike charged two chem-dogs standing too close together (shutting down their overwatch and shooting next turn). The Vanguards charged one of the same Chem dogs, the heavy weapons team, and one of the remaining infantry units. My lieutenant charged Creed. My 5 bolter scouts charged the remnants of the last infantry squad preventing me from scoring D3 instead of 1 on Area denial.

Shrike did no wounds to a Chem Dog. Vanguards did 6 wounds to one of them and killed the heavy weapons team. My Lieutenant killed Creed, but not before my buddy blew the assault interrupt and attacked him first, dealing two wounds (and I took one to overwatch, dropping him to one). My bolter scouts on the other flank killed the last of the infantry in hand to hand, but not first without losing 3 to overwatch (facepalm).

End of the round - Guard 1, Raven Guard 3 (I rolled a 1 for my D3 on Area Denial, I got warlord and first blood)

Guard Turn 2: His cards were take the objective my scouts and agressors were sitting on, and Hold the Line. (half my army was in his deployment zone at this point).

Chem dogs fell back. The other heavy weapon's teams fell back to not risk getting charged in my turn. The remaining Chem Dog that did not get charged or shot at zoomed up point blank on Shrike. 

He shot shrike with the Chem Cannon and Heavy flamer (rolled 6 for Chem hits, and 5 for Heavy Flamer hits) and took shrike to two wounds. His ratlings killed my Lt on one wound. The rest of his flank shot at the vanguards (including 12D6 worth of Wyvern shots), and finally finished them (I made a lot of Storm Shield saves against the Leman Russ plasma, the Vanguards selling their lives dearly to prevent Shrike from getting shot at). His psykers tossed out more mortal wounds on the aggressors, taking me down to just the Sergeant wounded.

0 Points scored. He ditched the other card objective I was on, and kept Hold the Line

Raven Guard turn 2: I drew Supremacy and Kill the Witch (kill a Psyker, whatever its called). 

In falling back with most of his stuff, one of his primaris (who moved up to smite the aggressors) was the closest to me. My dreadnaughts advanced. The Plasma Vanguard and Captain jumped deeper into midfield to lay into the Tank Commander. My small squad of scouts killed the wounded commisar with sniper fire. The full squad of scouts killed the platoon leader. My Agressor sergeant shot the primaris to bits. Shrike ran back into cover near the Aggressors. Dreads shot at and damaged one of the plasma Lemans, and the Vanguards overcharged and shot up the tank commander, the explosion did a nice smattering of mortal wounds to the other primaris, his heavy weapon team, and an adjacent Plasma Leman Russ.

I scored Supremacy for D3 (rolled a 1 again), and I scored the witch kill for the primaris my aggressor shot up.

End of Round 2: Guard 1 - Raven Guard 5

Turn 3 - He drew back up to three by drawing two cards. One of which was kill a unit (or 3 for D3, 6 for D6, etc), and an objective card he was already on.

Guard: His chem dogs all advanced on my pocket of resistance (Shrike on two wounds, the Agressor Sergeant, and my 10 scouts). The remaining Plasma Lemans wheeled on one of my dreads. Ratlings stayed still to take potshots on my Jump Captain.

Chem dogs killed Shrike, giving him Slay the Warlord. All remaining heavy weapon teams shot at the Aggressor Sergeant, failing to kill him. Wyverns (and the two remaining Lemans) shot at my center field vanguard, killing them all. Ratlings cracked a couple more wounds into my captain and backed up.

He scored 3 points, taking him to 4. 

Raven Guard Turn 4

I drew 2 cards I couldnt complete, and two I could (secure objective X, and kill a character).

I realized at this juncture I just should focus on his little amount of infantry, because if it came down to vehicles (my two fully healthy Ven Dreads against wounded Chem Dogs and Wyverns) I would win out easily. Scouts killed the wounded primaris, aggressor sergeant killed the remainder of the last heavy weapons team. Both my Ven Dreads shot at the closing Chem Dogs crippling one, while advancing on the ratlings (alongside the Lieutenant on foot).

I discarded one of the cards I couldn't complete.

End of Turn 4: Guard 4, Raven Guard 7

Guard Turn 5: He drew a bunch of crap he wouldn't be able to score

Chem dogs advanced further up-field. Plasma Lemans took potshots at my scouts, killing a couple. Wyverns laid into the Aggressor Sergeant, this time killing him. Chem dogs finished off the scouts. Ratlings put a wound on my foot-bound lieutenant.

He scored no points and ditched Domination (one of the cards he drew).

Raven Guard Turn 5: I drew a couple of cards I could complete and a couple I couldn't, nothing shocking.

Ven Dreads advanced, shot at and blew up both wounded Chem Dogs (leaving one) and my lieutenant and dread charged the ratlings, killing them. I scored two points and passed the turn.

End of Turn 5: Guard 4 - Raven Guard 9 (I also had linebreaker at this point and he did not).

At this point my buddy conceded because it was two ven dreads and a lieutenant against 3 wyverns and a chem dog.

Some notes/Thoughts:

The -1 to hit is amazing, and his Plasma Lemans were basically garbage. I told him I think he should run the cheaper, and either with a battle cannon turret or punisher turret, imo.

Aggressors are just as good in game as they are on paper. In cover and over 12" away they are surprisingly durable.

Both units of Vanguard were a major disappointment, but no shock there. Nearly 700 points of elites, and they killed maybe ~250 worth back.

I rolled awful every time I sent Shrike in, and he dumpstered out hard (and made me wish he was Lias)

I really dig the Ven Dreads equipped for range, they do quite nicely, and the BS 2+ offsets the desire to move nicely.

20 Sniper Scouts were good, but not great.

I dig Teeth of Terra, worked nicely.

I put heavy bolters in the scout squads so I could use hellfire shells, but then I couldnt bring myself to spend some of my 3 remaining command points after deployment to use it.

SFTS is godly, and it makes me feel like RG in 7th with SSKT.

More thoughts later on lists (and a potential "final" build list).

Sounds like a bloody but fun battle!

Being one of those "cheesey" 8th ed players who plays broken guard and cheating RG I certainly think RG have all the tools necessary to deal with most Guard lists this edition.

StfS + -1 hit are super useful allowing us to get our CC models up front early in the game and still lay down fire support from range.

As for your opponent the plasmacutioner is great this ed (it was last ed too imho...). Id question why he took banewol es over hellhounds though ... the new inferno cannon is awesome! Still as good against multiwound models and better against hordes

Some notes/Thoughts:

The -1 to hit is amazing, and his Plasma Lemans were basically garbage. I told him I think he should run the cheaper, and either with a battle cannon turret or punisher turret, imo.

Aggressors are just as good in game as they are on paper. In cover and over 12" away they are surprisingly durable.

Both units of Vanguard were a major disappointment, but no shock there. Nearly 700 points of elites, and they killed maybe ~250 worth back.

I rolled awful every time I sent Shrike in, and he dumpstered out hard (and made me wish he was Lias)

I really dig the Ven Dreads equipped for range, they do quite nicely, and the BS 2+ offsets the desire to move nicely.

20 Sniper Scouts were good, but not great.

I dig Teeth of Terra, worked nicely.

I put heavy bolters in the scout squads so I could use hellfire shells, but then I couldnt bring myself to spend some of my 3 remaining command points after deployment to use it.

SFTS is godly, and it makes me feel like RG in 7th with SSKT.

More thoughts later on lists (and a potential "final" build list).

Heavy bolters go in dev squads so you can use signum on hellfire rounds.  Spending command points on something that only works 2/3rds of the time kind of sucks.  5 man dev squads with heavy bolters are really cheap too.. 110 points!  

About the vanguard... doesnt surprise me that they didnt do too well vs guard.  Plasma just isnt optimal vs guard.  Storm bolters and flamers are better vs infantry and missiles/lascannons are more efficient vs armour since you dont really need a reroll bubble nor do you need to be close.  

Sorry to hear about dumpster shrike :<  He has been stellar for me in all games but I have faced mostly marines and his weapon loadout is perfect for fighting other marines.  

What are your thoughts on assault centurions using sfts ?  I was considering buying a box and using them.

Assuming they aren't too pricey points wise, Assault Centurions seem like they'd work well with SFTS.

Is it just me, or did this edition completely ignore the fluff on what each chapter is supposed to specialize in?

I mean, Raven Guard make a better gunline than Fists, White Scars use jump packs better than Raven Guard, Ultramarines are better bikers than White Scars. It's bizarro world.

Assuming they aren't too pricey points wise, Assault Centurions seem like they'd work well with SFTS.

Is it just me, or did this edition completely ignore the fluff on what each chapter is supposed to specialize in?

I mean, Raven Guard make a better gunline than Fists, White Scars use jump packs better than Raven Guard, Ultramarines are better bikers than White Scars. It's bizarro world.

Adding to this...

The signature space marine vehicle, the drop pod, is utter and complete garbage.  Speeders cant use their speed.  Space Marines know fear if too many of them are in a squad.  

They really nailed Iron Hands, Salamanders, and Black Templars though!

Sounds like a bloody but fun battle!

Being one of those "cheesey" 8th ed players who plays broken guard and cheating RG I certainly think RG have all the tools necessary to deal with most Guard lists this edition.

StfS + -1 hit are super useful allowing us to get our CC models up front early in the game and still lay down fire support from range.

As for your opponent the plasmacutioner is great this ed (it was last ed too imho...). Id question why he took banewol es over hellhounds though ... the new inferno cannon is awesome! Still as good against multiwound models and better against hordes

Im nlot sure why he prefers the Banewolf over the Hellhound tbh, but I know the -3 AP and wounding on 2+ was quite good against me. The Hellhound is obviously better against armor and hordes, but against marines, I think the Banewolf might be the better choice.

Heavy bolters go in dev squads so you can use signum on hellfire rounds.  Spending command points on something that only works 2/3rds of the time kind of sucks.  5 man dev squads with heavy bolters are really cheap too.. 110 points!  

About the vanguard... doesnt surprise me that they didnt do too well vs guard.  Plasma just isnt optimal vs guard.  Storm bolters and flamers are better vs infantry and missiles/lascannons are more efficient vs armour since you dont really need a reroll bubble nor do you need to be close.  

Sorry to hear about dumpster shrike :<  He has been stellar for me in all games but I have faced mostly marines and his weapon loadout is perfect for fighting other marines.  

What are your thoughts on assault centurions using sfts ?  I was considering buying a box and using them.

The signum for the Hellfire Rounds makes a lot of sense. I personally didn't use hellfire not because of the 66% hit chance, but because I burned through 4 CP in the deployment phase, and with only 3 left, they felt like a rare commodity. 

Plasma Vanguard really aren't that bad, but if I was going to consider my list competitive, I would never take them. Allied Tempestus/Elysians with plasma is the better choice. They did better than the CC Vanguards did, and engaging targets at the max 12" range greatly increases their survivability (when the CC Vanguards charge a unit and kill it, or they don't and the unit runs, they are exposed to full BS return fire from more units.

Shrike isn't bad on paper, I just throw him in risky situations and expect good results, then I follow it with poor rolling, and that's all she wrote. His ability to turn off overwatch this game was his strongest suit (that being said, when he charges T7 Tanks, he should average 4-6 wounds each round, and he was getting 2-0 just because I rolled poorly).

Assault Centurions are a neat prospect, but my issue with them stems from this: You SFTS them into place, they preferably charge a high T/W target (Monster/Tank), blow it up, then are sitting there fully exposed. Now, this isn't awful, but my issue is after that they move at a SNAILS pace, meaning they may never catch another unit all game. Then all you're doing is trudging after stuff throwing out Hurricane Bolter shots hoping to harass infantry. The Ironclad Dreadnaught does that better, faster, and for less points (to a degree), and he can go in a Storm Raven instead of SFTS. If I wanted a CC unit I want more mobility, if I want more infantry chewing I want Aggressors. It's hard to use them to fill a niche (other than trying to alpha a Super Heavy)

The transition of fluff-> rules is always a difficult one. Our -1 to hit is fluffy, but how it translates to gameplay is a bit odd (meaning we want to stay at a distance and shoot, meaning assault units seem less ideal).

I think ultimately I am going to make a Lias Issodon counts-as in Raven Guard colors so I can play my armor as Raptors when I want to get serious and drop all the Jump Pack garbage I have in list at the moment (even if it is fun).

WTB Assault Marines having a pseudo Hammer of Wrath that does mortal wounds on a 4+ or something. That would be nice.

• 6 months later...

Haven't had a game in a while. The TL;DR is I was on vacation in January, got horribly sick, needed to go to the ER, then hauled to an out of state hospital for emergency surgery - which went well but had a 3 month recovery timeframe, during which I got an infection, resulting in another surgery and a lengthening of the recovery time. In short, I am the healthiest I have been in nearly a decade, and I am ready to jump back into my favorite hobby!

I bought a handful of things to primaris-fy my current RG forces. I have a game against my buddy tomorrow, and I am considering three lists. Would love your input!

List 1: 1999 Points, 10CP (-1CP for an extra Relic)

RG Battalion

LT - Chainsword, Storm Bolter

LT - Jump Pack, Plasma Pistol, Power Axe

Scouts - 5 Bolters

Scouts - 5 Bolters

Intercessors - 5 Bolt Rifles

Hellblasters - 5 Plasma incinerator

Hellblasters - 5 Plasma incinerator

RG Vanguard

Shrike

Aggressors - 6 Boltstorm/Grenade variety

Dreadnought - 2x Twin Autocannon

Adeptus Custodes Supreme Command Detachment

Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike - Salvo Launcher, Misericordia, Auric Aquilis, - WARLORD

Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike - Salvo Launcher, Misericordia, Eagle's Eye

Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike - Salvo Launcher, Misericordia

This list is a min-max to full tilt that leverages SFTS a moderate amount. I would SFTS the Aggressors, Hellblasters, and all 3 Characters. Leaving me 3 CP to work with once the game begins. The JP LT and Shrike go with the Aggressors, the walking LT stays with the Dread firebase.

List 2: 1990 Points, 14CP (-3 for 3 Relics)

RG Battalion

Shrike

Scouts - 5 Bolters

Scouts - 5 Bolters

Scouts - 5 Bolters

RG Battalion

Captain - Raven's Fury, Combi-Melta, Thunder Hammer

LT - Jump Pack, Teeth of Terra, Storm Bolter

Scouts - 10 Snipers

Scouts - 5 Bolters

Devastator Squad - 1x Missle Launcher, 1x Heavy Bolter, 3x Bolter, Cherub

RG Vanguard

Captain - Chainsword, Primarch's Wrath

Vanguard Veterans - 6x Dual Wield Plasma Pistol

This list doubles up on Aggressors and buffing characters, in addition to being mono-Ravens. The idea is the LT/Shrike/Vanguard can move together, and the 12 Aggressors with Primarch's Wrath Captain take up an anchor position in my opponents board space. I would SFTS the Aggressors, VV, and 4-5 of the characters, and possibly the Devs. This would leave me with 4 CP after deployment. The dev squad is equipped that way to leverage Flakk Missle/Cherub/Signum/Hellfire Shells combo. This list is the closest to what I have play previously.

List 3: 2000 Points, 14CP

IG Battalion

Company Commander - Kurovs Aquila

Company Commander - WARLORD (Grand Strategist)

Infantry Squad - 10 Lasguns

RG Battalion

Shrike

LT - Power Sword, Storm Bolter

Scouts - 5 Bolters

Scouts - 5 Bolters

Scouts - 5 Bolters

Devastator Squad - 1x Missle Launcher, 3x Heavy Bolter, 1x Bolter, Cherub

Thunderfire Cannon

This list maximizes CP through an allied guard CP battery battalion, and then uses those to leverage the RG and Custodes detachments to maximum strength. I would SFTS Shrike, the LT, Aggressors, and possibly Devastators. Shrike and the LT babysit the Aggressors, clear screens, open them up for the 3 Shield Captains. This list lets me play the most spammy with CP

I have begun assembling the Shield Captains and the Aggressors, and it looks I have timed my return perfectly to coincide with the ETL. :D

Good to know you made through those challenges and are still ready to assume your duties to the Emperor ;)

I think byour three lists looks fun to play with and against, but I have a slight preference for number 2. It's a pure list,just for that I like it. But even then, I think it looks like it can pack quite a punch. With the remaining points, I would add a grenade launcher and power sword to the Inceptors and a stormshield on the jump pack lieutenant instead of a storm bolter.

We ended up playing two games. I ran the first list of the bunch, with a minor tweak:

1999 Points, 10CP (-1CP for an extra Relic)

RG Battalion

LT - Jump Pack, Plasma Pistol, Power Axe

Scouts - 5 Bolters

Scouts - 5 Bolters

Hellblasters - 10 Plasma incinerator

RG Vanguard

Shrike

Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike - Salvo Launcher, Misericordia, Auric Aquilis, - WARLORD

Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike - Salvo Launcher, Misericordia, Eagle's Eye

Changed the 2 5-man Hellblaster units into 1 10-man for the sake of saving a CP to SFTS

My opponents list:

Necron Battalion

Destroyer Lord

Cryptek - Flying cloak upgrade

Immortals - 5 Tesla 

Immortals - 5 Tesla 

Immortals - 6 Tesla 

Destroyers - 6 Gauss Cannons

Destroyers - 6 Gauss Cannons

C'tan Shard - the 3 units within 18" take D3 mortal wounds power

Outrider Detachment

Cryptek - Flying cloak upgrade

Tomb Blades - 5 Twin Gauss Blasters, +1 Sv, 5+ Invul

First game I won by a decent margin (something like 14-3 when he conceded after his Turn 4). Second game came to resolution, with me winning 14-8, but finishing the game by tabling him.

My opponent finished deploying first, so he had the +1 to start. I went first in Game 1, he went first in Game 2.

In both games, we had 5 large pieces of terrain (multi level buildings), and we played the first level as LOS blocking, with one piece roughly centered in each quarter, and one (the biggest) centered in the middle. We had an objective in each building, and the 6th objective was midfield in no-man's-land both games.

The C'tan Shard lets him do a re-deploy that is quite similar to SFTS, with the C'tan itself and D3 units. Based on the wording we were unsure of the timing, so we ended up conducting a roll-off AFTER rolling for first turn/seize, and then the winner going first. We also came to the conclusion that SFTS units would be deployed as separate actions, meaning if I won the roll, I would deploy one unit, then his C'tan and friends, then the rest of mine. This left me in an odd predicament, because I was left with abandoning the unit that I dropped first, and countering his drop with the rest of my units, OR dropping the rest of my units with the first drop, and abandoning that flank he dropped the C'tan and friends on.

In game 1, I dropped Intercessors on an objective, hidden in LOS terrain, Scouts on one (in my deployment zone), and the other unit of scouts hidden on the objective in the middle. He took his two objectives in his deployment with Immortals. I had my dreads and foot LT in a mini castle dead center so they could shuffle the midfield terrain to block LOS/return fire.

We rolled off for first turn, I won, he failed to seize. We then rolled for SFTS/C'tan, I won, and deployed my Aggressors on his left flank threatening two units of tomb blades, and one unit of immortals. He realized I had left open a chunk of space in my back left corner, he rolled his D3 for his C'tan redeployment, and got a 3!. He moved his C'tan, Destroyers, and a Cryptek on to my left flank, inside my deployment (threatening the Intercessors) and my entire left flank. I then followed up by dropping the Hellblasters, Shrike, and my JP LT right in front of his newly deployed threat dumped in my LZ.

On my turn one, two of the Custodes peeled off the center and zipped over to the center to draw a bead on the C'tan. Shrike/LT jumped right up 1" away from this lethal blob. Hellblasters moved up as well. The third custodes ripped up the middle right into the heart of my opponents army, using the LOS terrain to limit return-fire by half. The Intercessors moved up a floor, making themselves visible, while still controlling that objective and claiming a cover save. Lastly, the Aggressors moved up to ready themselves for an assault on the Tomb Blades right in front of them.

In my first shooting phase, the dreads turned to their left, and opened up on one unit of the re-deployed Destroyers, killing 3, and leaving one on one wound. The LT then shot the unit and capped the one-wound one. The Hellblasters overcharged and shot the other unit, killing them all easily (one Hellbaster died to overheating with Chapter Master rerolls). Shrike tossed a krak grenade wounding one of the two remaining destroyers. The two custodes fired melta-missles at the C'tan, but the 4+ Invul and CP rerolls meant he took no damage. The aggressors opened up on the adjacent Immortals babysitting the objective (he had 5 in Cover, 1 out of LOS). I fired 58 shots, did something like 25 wounds (an above-average roll). My opponent then reciprocated in-kind, making 20 2+ Cover Saves, leaving one Immortal alive to begin the Reanimation process.

In my first assault phase, Shrike, the LT, and Hellblasters charged the two remaining Destroyers and the Cryptek, and I positioned in such a way as to have the Hellblasters receive the Heroic Intervention from the C'tan. My Aggressors charged the Bikes, taking a wound to overwatch on the way in. My LT and half the Hellblaster attacks dispatched the remaining two Destroyers, and Shrike and the rest took care of the Cryptek. The C'tan killed three Hellblasters in return. The aggressors rolled up their 13 Power Fist attacks, hit with 4, wounding three times, and my opponent made two 5+ Invul saves. He then attacked back and killed the one wounded Aggressor with his 4 attacks :sad.:

On his turn 1 the two units of Tomb Blades (one in hand to hand, one nearby) both fell back/re-positioned into double tap range. The C'tan stayed engaged with the Hellblasters. The final unit of Tomb Blades zipped over to center field to put themselves in double tap range of the Warlord Custodes occupying the center. He reanimated 4 of the 5 Immortals, the one Tomb Blade I killed with the aggressors.

He double tapped the 10 Tomb Blades and 4 Immortals into the Aggressors, killing 3 more, and leaving the Sergeant and one left, wounded. The other unit of Tomb Blades double tapped the Warlord, and he smiled, took it on the chin, and took one wound (3++, and 5+++, T6, W7 model is quite a beast). The closer unit of Tomb Blades would charge my 2 remaining Aggressors. They're attacks did no wounds, and the Aggressors in turn punched 3 bikes out of the sky. The C'tan killed 3 more Hellblasters, leaving them on 3 guys remaining.

On my turn two, my Hellblasters fell back, the two Custodes on that flank moved up point-blank to the C'tan. Shrike and the LT bounded across the board to midfield to begin running down Tomb Blades. My warlord moved up to challenge the unit that shot at him. The two left custodes fired double melta missles into the C'tan and put it on 4 wounds. The warlord cracked off 3 Flakk missles into the tomb blades, killing two. The LT overcharged his plasma and killed another.

The same two Custodes easily dispatched the C'tan on the charge, the Aggressors punched another Tomb Blade, and lost the wounded man in return, leaving just the sergeant. The warlord charged the other Tomb Blade unit, skewering 3 on the charge.

On his turn two, he fell back out of combat, reanimated a handful of Tomb Blades, and began running around trying to evade/stay alive.

I lost a few more models at this point, but between the unmolested Dread firebase, and all 3 Custodes captains alive, it was basically a sheepdog affair at this point to round them up, keep picking them off, and scoring points.

In game 2, he went first. I secured my LZ this time so he was forced to do a midfield C'tan relocate. Since I was going 2nd, I was forced to drop my Aggressors into terrain (on an upper floor, visible, in cover, and within range of his lines), with Shrike/LT in the mix. He relocated near them.

On his first turn, half his C'tan blob erased the Aggressors without breaking a sweat, with the other positioned in such a way to be the closest to one of my 3 Custodes, and with some bad rolling on my part, erasing him from existence (this being the one without a relic, so a 4++). He also killed a handful of Hellblasters as well with another unit of Tomb Blades.

This was a very demoralizing start, and I was beginning to feel like first turn was the sole factor on who would win this game. He had removed almost 450 points on his first shooting phase.

On my turn, I responded by pulling everything back that I could, and pouring everything into his bikes that had exposed themselves shooting at my Hellblasters. I wiped that unit, and did a handful of casualties to the Destroyers now occupying the upper floors of the building in my LZ. I used the 2 Custodes remaining together, and had both charge the other unit of bikes together, and wiped that unit. 

On his turn 2, the Destroyers, advanced up my left flank towards my center, and fired at one of my dreads. Poor rolling on his part and I made one 6+, and the dread survived on two wounds. He pretty much poor the remainder of his army into both Custodes Captains, and they each took a handful of wounds.

On my turn 2, I focused my entire army on the remainder of the C'tan blob in my deployment zone taking them down to 1 Destroyer (wounded) and the C'tan (on 2 wounds).

This game began to wind down in such a way as my opponent had very little firepower left, and he had overextended himself into my half of the table, and I was able to punish him even harder than the first game. I played conservative, and kept focus-firing units, to ensure to reanimation took place (to which I did a sloppy job of in the first game). Likewise, my opponent dedicated a LOT of shooting assets to attempt to kill the remaining two custodes, and they just soaked up that fire like bosses. Both were alive at game end, the only one I lost being the one on Turn one, which was a combination of a good roll on his part, and poor rolls on my part. I intend to write up a new topic with my thoughts on unit performance and mistakes that I made, along with a TL;DR batrep for these games.

• 3 weeks later...

So I have been on the hunt for a Suppressor for boltguns for a while, and I had reached out to Plokoone to see if he would be willing to design me a different style - I wanted to utilize a Box or Square design supressor - this is an aesthetic I think would fit better - see here for an IRL example: https://imgur.com/a/nU8hv1z

He directed me to these folks: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/grumpysworkshop

I purchased these: https://www.shapeways.com/product/25DQ8EPUF/bolt-rifle-suppressors-angular-v1-x20?optionId=65259672

I have to say, I am quite pleased.

I will reserve full judgement until I can get a coat of paint on it, since perspective is skewed with it being clear against the grey plastic. As you can see I pinned it to add strength.

Unfortunately I had to remove the bottom bit, what I assume is supposed to be a bayonet lug (from its positioning), but otherwise it fit nicely.

Thoughts?

EDntwx7.jpg

I like the square suppressors, they’re much better than my own round efforts.

My only issue is with how low they’re mounted. It’s an issue with most bolters though, in that the barrel is much lower than the ejection port. I’d probably have taken the top knob off instead of the bayonet lug and seated the suppressor higher.

I like the square suppressors, they’re much better than my own round efforts.

My only issue is with how low they’re mounted. It’s an issue with most bolters though, in that the barrel is much lower than the ejection port. I’d probably have taken the top knob off instead of the bayonet lug and seated the suppressor higher.

Yea, I feel conflicted the same way.

As a functional weapon, it makes NO sense for the chamber to be on a different parallel than the barrel (like the barrel being lower on all bolters). I think older Rogue Trader/2nd Edition era bolters were in line, but haven't been ever since. I've tried to imagine reasons why they have designed it this way, and all I can think of is the "ejection chamber" needs to be above the "firing chamber" due to the fact that the warhead is a gyrojet application. AKA: Because Science..fiction.

I chose to keep the suppressor in the same location as where the barrel typically would reside, to maintain the authenticity of the weapon (talking about the authenticity of something that is fictional seems very pretentious, doesn't it?)

Anyway, thank you for the feedback, we are of a like mind, you and I!