Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Space Wolves Legion Contemptor released

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,067 posts

99550101545_SWContemptor01.jpg

£35

• Ulfgrim Alvsbane and Runefyre like this

bl-logo.jpg

The Unblinking Eye
A (perpetually inactive) blog about 30k & the Sons of Horus 29th Company

m_r_parker

m_r_parker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,627 posts
I remember the 'lack of enthusiasm' this had when it was shown at the Weekender - but I still like this a lot. It might be a bit 'blingy', but this is a warrior worthy enough to be put in a Contemptor after all. The wolf pelt on the shoulder is great, and the paint job on this is really good - in fact I'd say that the level of FW paint jobs has gone up quite a bit in the last year or so.

Is it just me, or is it weird to specifically have s bundle with the Heavy Bolter and Power Claw?
  • Caldersson likes this

M@verik115

M@verik115

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 632 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars

I like it, but damn that paint job is too GW... 

My Youtube Channel 'Maverik 115'

Tyberos the Red Wake

Tyberos the Red Wake

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,545 posts
  • Chapter Name: Carcharodon Astra

Guess FW is officially making SW the Mk III legion.

"Grey-clad, they came from the outer night to aid the Imperium, and their jagged maw did swallow the stars, and their black gaze did mirror the void of oblivion."

- The Canticle of Cassandria Lev - Vol.CVI [Circa M37]

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16,066 posts

Oh man, I bet that bundle with Heavy Bolter and Power Fist arms will fly off the shelves!

Come on FW...

Sweet model though.

"Pain is an illusion of the senses, fear an illusion of the mind, beyond these only death waits as silent judge o'er all." - Mortarion

Heresy WIP Thread: Talons

WIP Thread

Index Astartes Sanguine Visions

Sandlemad

Sandlemad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 911 posts

It is blingy, more due to the excess of gems rather than gold, but it's not bad. Not absolutely wild about it, the knotwork on the right leg is a touch thick but the axe-shaped knotwork on the chest is very good. The wolf icons are nice and detailed, and the teeth/pelts/runestones/Fenrisian wands are all fine.

The head is the weakest part. They were clearly trying for a spectacled helm look - great concept - but it's overshadowed by the oversized right eye lens and the big gem on the forehead, making it the gaudiest bit of the model. It's a shame as the spectacled look worked really well in the Inferno art; even had those good Sutton Hoo style ridges on the edges.

A plain battered contemptor with a handful of feral talismans and some painted knotwork would be more to my taste but this is good for a venerated individual, if the head was changed. Agreed on the paintjob, that gold is lovely.

Commissar Ibram Gaunt

Commissar Ibram Gaunt

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 257 posts
I like. A more battered paint job and it would look great.

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,598 posts
  • Chapter Name: VIII Legion - Crimson Sons

Guess FW is officially making SW the Mk III legion.

That's the Death Guard. Their contemptor's wearing Mk III.

dVIGLrG.pngC5pEYmg.pngFPVd6je.pngQiZFXmD.png

In the grim darkness of the far future, hope is the first step to despair.

armarnis

armarnis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 56 posts
  • Chapter Name: XXth Legion

looks very boring to me, but im not sold on SW anyways

Wolf_Priest _Dantay.

Wolf_Priest _Dantay.

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,725 posts
  • Chapter Name: Space Wolves

The spectacled helm is garbage, would have looked a million times better without the stupid forehead gem.

Also hate the right leg and knee pads with moulded on designs... Completely destroys any chance of making a talon of unique looking models without major cutting and sanding... A bit like the designs they splashed all over the Raven Guard dread.

Beyond that it is not too bad a plain drtead that had wolf stuff literally thrown at it. The pelt is really good though... Will have to buy some other dreads to split the bits up. Why the void wolf on the knee and not the Ymir symbol though

Edited by dantay_xv, 21 April 2017 - 09:04 AM.

ETL 1v2

Apologist

Apologist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,263 posts
  • Chapter Name: Ultramarines: The Praetors of Calth

Many of the Legion Contemptors have been criticised for the amount of ornamentation. I like to think of the Legion Contemptors as upgrade packs for Contemptor Talons. Mix in a few parts of the Legion-specific one with a standard Contemptor or two and you end up with a group of characterful but not over-the-top models. 

I've stuck an example of bashing the Death Guard and standard Contemptors together as an example here:

Spoiler

The principle'd apply nicely to the Space Wolves one – the head and lower legs on one; the head and knee pads on another; the shoulders on a third... It's a lovely way to distinguish them, and the 'seams' between the different kits are easily hidden with paint.

Spoiler

Edited by Apologist, 21 April 2017 - 09:26 AM.

• Sandlemad, Cactus, Interrogator Stobz and 10 others like this

+Death of a Rubricist+

My blog

The Alien Wars – Blood Angels in the Nova Terra Interregnum | May You Live Forever – A narrative Iron Hands blog

Officio Monstrosa – Iron Warriors during the siege of Terra | The Praetors of Calth – Ultramarines from Crusade to Scouring

Petitioner's City

Petitioner's City

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,005 posts

Many of the Legion Contemptors have been criticised for the amount of ornamentation. I like to think of the Legion Contemptors as upgrade packs for Contemptor Talons. Mix in a few parts of the Legion-specific one with a standard Contemptor or two and you end up with a group of characterful but not over-the-top models. 

I've stuck an example of bashing the Death Guard and standard Contemptors together as an example here:

Spoiler

The principle'd apply nicely to the Space Wolves one – the head and lower legs on one; the head and knee pads on another; the shoulders on a third... It's a lovely way to distinguish them, and the 'seams' between the different kits are easily hidden with paint.

Spoiler

Great idea! And looks beautiful :)

Cinema itself is a trick of time — still pictures passed through a focused beam of light at 24 frames per second. We are reminded of that in La Jetée...

Spoiler

lajetee.jpg

Apologist

Apologist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,263 posts
  • Chapter Name: Ultramarines: The Praetors of Calth

Ta! smile.png

Looking at the bare resin is also a better guide – it's a shame that the only 360-degree view is the painted one.

99550101545_SWContemptor07.jpg

For this particular dread, I'm not a huge fan of the head or torso. It looks a little too busy; a bit too much on there. As dantay_xv says, the head would have been improved by not adding the forehead gem or targeter eye. The torso looks cleaner in the resin – I'd be tempted to paint the knotwork there in the same hue as the armour, rather than drawing attention to it by painting it in a contrasting colour.

99550101545_SWContemptor08.jpg

I think my main criticism of the 'spectacles' is that they ring the eyes entirely, which has the effect of making the eyes look large and cute. Had the spectacles been slightly smaller and covered the edges of the eye lens, rather than bordering them, it might have been improved (rule of cool overriding the superfluous nature of the custom job!). Maybe I'll have a go at greenstuffing some on a spare Contemptor head; see what it looks like. 

Painting the whole head gold (or silver, or white) might look good; the sculpting is then doing the work of drawing the eye.

Positives are the fairly restrained runework on the legs and knees; and it looks like the wolfskin might be a separate part – potentially useful beyond Contemptors. Would be good for Sons of Horus players, too. smile.png

Edited by Apologist, 21 April 2017 - 09:40 AM.

• Sandlemad likes this

+Death of a Rubricist+

My blog

The Alien Wars – Blood Angels in the Nova Terra Interregnum | May You Live Forever – A narrative Iron Hands blog

Officio Monstrosa – Iron Warriors during the siege of Terra | The Praetors of Calth – Ultramarines from Crusade to Scouring

Sandlemad

Sandlemad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 911 posts

Spoiler

Spoiler

Good idea! I think all the legion-specific contemptors* suffer from a certain cloneitis if you use more than one in a force. It's the same issue as the legionary upgrades. Use them all on every infantryman, it's going to look repetitive and visually oversaturated (IMO). Sprinkle them throughout your squads or use them on some select veterans, boom, you've got legion character.

* except the Death Guard dreadnought, which works for just about any force once you file off the numeral. Plainness is a XIVth legion virtue.

• Apologist likes this

sockwithaticket

sockwithaticket

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,827 posts
  • Chapter Name: Crimson Tears

The head needed either the Bionic eye or the gem, not both as it now looks cluttered.

Apart from the head, I think everything above the waist is pretty cool.

The right shin is another either or situation with the gem and whatever the symbol is.

I'm not familiar enough with SW stuff to know what the left knee is all about, but design wise it should have been contained within the kneepad space like the wolf design on the other knee was, no overspill. It also looks a bit chunky.

Crimson Tears, Deathwatch and Inquisition WIP thread (most recent page):
http://www.bolterand...updated/page-28

Deathwatch Hall of Honour thread:
http://www.bolterand...maccrage/page-4

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpg

Ciler

Ciler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,718 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars

I thought that fluffy-wise, Space WOlves didn't use contemptors because the few they had went crazy early on ?

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. Revelations 6:8
Album link, Thread on the BT subforum

Runefyre

Runefyre

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,679 posts
  • Chapter Name: VI, IV, and XIII legions

I love it! Very beautiful. Can't wait to paint it up in my personal paint scheme.

Now, Grey Slayers next Plz? Anyone? No? mkay.

He is the Lord of Winter and War

He is the Executioner, and the most Loyal Son

He is the Fury and Savagery of the Storm

He is the Vengeance of a Galaxy Wronged

He is the Father of Heros, He Has Come

DanPesci

DanPesci

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,792 posts

I thought that fluffy-wise, Space WOlves didn't use contemptors because the few they had went crazy early on ?

Are these not meant to be 30k era contemptors (ie the one above is one that went crazy haha)

Ive defiantely read something in the fluff about that before too im sure...but theres always exceptions to the rule.

Overall i quite like it, but agree the head is too much, whoever decided to put that big gem on its forehead needs a visit from the inqusition as its blatant model heresy biggrin.png Presume the gem will be part of the head and not too easy to remove as well?

Edited by DanPesci, 21 April 2017 - 11:16 AM.

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_01.jpg

DVNE - Crushing tales of space horror (In space no-one can hear you doom)

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16,066 posts

I love it! Very beautiful. Can't wait to paint it up in my personal paint scheme.

Now, Grey Slayers next Plz? Anyone? No? mkay.

As they weren't at the weekender, will be a while. Maybe they'll be on show at Warhammer Fest though :)

"Pain is an illusion of the senses, fear an illusion of the mind, beyond these only death waits as silent judge o'er all." - Mortarion

Heresy WIP Thread: Talons

WIP Thread

Index Astartes Sanguine Visions

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,876 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Chapter Name: Chaos and Wolves
Sweet mini apart from the head. Wouldnt mind getting my hands on this.

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.pngCall_of_Chaos_10_Banner_00.jpg

Blog - Gates of Helvete

“Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken.” - Terry Pratchett, Eric

The Yak

The Yak

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,375 posts
  • Chapter Name: Raptors
Nice model. Hope its not real fenrisan wolf fur though!
  • M@verik115 likes this

Sandlemad

Sandlemad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 911 posts

The idea was that by 40k some of the oldest and most violent warriors had been interred in them, which meant that they got a reputation for being darkly omened, which meant they were used to inter the most violent warriors, which fed into the reputation so... A feedback loop, essentially. They're still used and the warriors inside respected but guardedly.

During the great crusade the VIth legion used them plenty, if not as much as other legions due to a broader preference for robust easy-to-maintain gear like the Castaferrum boxnauts.

• Jarl Deathwolf likes this

betrayer41

betrayer41

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,918 posts
  • Chapter Name: Space Wolves

I love this bad boy!!!

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,028 posts
  • Chapter Name: Cacophony of Unbound Pleasure

The idea was that by 40k some of the oldest and most violent warriors had been interred in them, which meant that they got a reputation for being darkly omened, which meant they were used to inter the most violent warriors, which fed into the reputation so... A feedback loop, essentially. They're still used and the warriors inside respected but guardedly.

During the great crusade the VIth legion used them plenty, if not as much as other legions due to a broader preference for robust easy-to-maintain gear like the Castaferrum boxnauts.

Heh...silly wolves. We BA do something like that on purpose with some of our Deathcompany even! Oh right, Deathcompany is not a thing. Forget what you've heard here. We're all perfectly sane Astartes. ph34r.png

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpg

Hfran Morkai

Hfran Morkai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,198 posts
  • Chapter Name: Space wolves
My plan is definitely have a look at the kit and diluting it out among a few Contemptors (I might even get a RG one to spread out too as my Jarl's warband has quite a lot of raven imagery). As others have said the head is a tad too busy for me which is a shame as it could've been amazing.
QUOTE (A D-B @ Jan 10 2011, 12:45 PM)
THE CUSTODIANS AREN'T PSYCHIC OH MY GOD I HATE YOU MIKAL.

gallery_24878_5332_45982.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)