Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Here at the end of all things... (the last siege of Terra)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Lucifer216

Lucifer216

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 176 posts
  • Chapter Name: Word Bearers

Hi all, 

I'm currently nearly 15,000 words into a story about a scenario in which Abaddon makes it to Terra and while the Blood Angels and many other chapters rush to its defence but no more aid or reinforcements are possible (due to a combination of the Imperium being broken by other conflicts and the Chaos Gods messing with warp travel). 

The story is told from the perspective of Barachiel, a powerful telepathic librarian of the Blood Angels. I've taken a slightly 300-esque approach in that my focus is more on describing individual encounters/skirmishes and the big events as opposed to depicting the siege as one titanic battle, as the latter makes the heroism of individual space marines rather inconsequential (one of the things I hate about 30/40k and especially Apocalypse battles is scooping handfuls of marines off the table. Barachiel's telepathy continually spawns plot holes for me to patch, but I think it's worth it as it means I can better explore other characters' emotions while still maintaining a first person perspective. 

I was originally looking to combine it with images of my Horus Heresy and 40k Blood Angels (and may one day do so), but the story is so far ahead of my painting backlog (and new painting projects keep springing up), that I'd rather publish it online first.

Because my writing style is pretty sparse (I'm a journalist by trade), it won't take me long to wrap it up. However, I'm curious to know if there's anything you guys would particularly like to see? I'm already featuring the Black Rage, the Sons of Sanguinius' hatred of the Black Legion and the effect the Talon of Horus has on them. Because this story is essentially about the end of the current 40K setting, anyone can die (with one notable exception....). 

Also, given that I made the rooky error of suggesting that vegetarianism is a good survival strategy on Baal sometime back, is there anything is a big no-no for you? I should add that I'm a massive fan of ADB's Night Lords and there are some homages to them in the piece. I've also modified it so that Guilliman is leading the defenders (given his recent return thanks to the Gathering Storm series). 

• Apologist and Helias Tancred like this

Helias Tancred

Helias Tancred

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,311 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Angels

Seeing the Sanguinor do some epic butt kicking would be nice. 

I'm a huge fan of First Captain Karlaen. Would love to see him in action, even if he does fall ;)

Corbulo should play some sort of role.

Also Blood Angel Sternguard, they get no love in an assault orientated chapter, and they are my favorite unit among space marines in general.

Brother-Captain Helias Tancred / On Instagram @eilio_tiberius

gallery_81299_10220_19493.png     

TheRealMcCagh

TheRealMcCagh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 35 posts

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but for sure include Sanguinius' vision from while he was in Imperium Secundus

Spoiler
I can't remember it all, but it's in the newish novel Dante in it's entirety, and is almost too prophetic to ignore.

edited to put it in a spoiler tag just in case. But it's kind of old lore that is jsut rementioned in Dante

Edited by TheRealMcCagh, 22 April 2017 - 09:14 PM.

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,815 posts
Dude, spoilers!

45bf9d3f-67ed-459f-ab16-6dae5f772a41_zpsgallery_58096_11765_15606.jpggallery_62972_10568_30745_zps7apczmbs.jp5cfc2df1-07de-4c53-a375-9692d63472be_zpsgallery_29004_9303_844.pngfriday-award.pngXX

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,932 posts
  • Chapter Name: Cacophony of Unbound Pleasure

Seeing the Sanguinor do some epic butt kicking would be nice. 

I'm a huge fan of First Captain Karlaen. Would love to see him in action, even if he does fall msn-wink.gif

Corbulo should play some sort of role.

Also Blood Angel Sternguard, they get no love in an assault orientated chapter, and they are my favorite unit among space marines in general.

I'd give them love if they had assault bolter tbh. Just doesn't feel right to have to choose between shooting or charging for a BA! :D

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpg

Arkangilos

Arkangilos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,743 posts
  • Chapter Name: Sanguinary Crusaders

Dude, spoilers!

Eh don't worry, while he still should have used spoilers, he didn't spoil much of anything :P

Also, @ TheRealMcCagh, in case you just don't know how to use spoilers, it's [ spoiler ] what you want hid [ / spoiler ]. Just take out the spaces so it'll look like this

Spoiler

Previously known as Telanicus

IA Sanguinary Crusaders The Crusaders of Blood (Revised, still under some work) And WiP Page
IT Warriors of Cain Unholy Chosen The Chosen of the Unholy Imperium of Cane.

gallery_29004_10383_20021.jpg

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,815 posts

Dude, spoilers!

Eh don't worry, while he still should have used spoilers, he didn't spoil much of anything :P

For now, but a moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy.
  • Code 187 likes this

45bf9d3f-67ed-459f-ab16-6dae5f772a41_zpsgallery_58096_11765_15606.jpggallery_62972_10568_30745_zps7apczmbs.jp5cfc2df1-07de-4c53-a375-9692d63472be_zpsgallery_29004_9303_844.pngfriday-award.pngXX

Arkangilos

Arkangilos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,743 posts
Which is why I gave him the knowledge of how to use them ;)
  • Xenith likes this

IA Sanguinary Crusaders The Crusaders of Blood (Revised, still under some work) And WiP Page

TheRealMcCagh

TheRealMcCagh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 35 posts

Dude, spoilers!

Eh don't worry, while he still should have used spoilers, he didn't spoil much of anything tongue.png

For now, but a moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy.

I covered it up, my bad.

but the spoiler is from stuff much older than the novel. I can't even place where I first read about that prophecy. Old codex maybe?

Arkangilos

Arkangilos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,743 posts
The prophecy has been known, but the description is only from the novel

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,815 posts
It's next on my 40k reading list, I swear, then i can stop hassling people about spoilers!

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,932 posts
  • Chapter Name: Cacophony of Unbound Pleasure

It's next on my 40k reading list, I swear, then i can stop hassling people about spoilers!

Haha yeah I have the epubs for Mephiston and Dante for weeks on my phone now but I never get around to actually reading those since I prefer to sleep when i'm on train to or from work. :D

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpg

Lucifer216

Lucifer216

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 176 posts
  • Chapter Name: Word Bearers

Thanks for the advice. It shames me to say this, but I forgot about the prophecy. As it happens, I have the perfect slot in my narrative for this. However, I already have the bulk of the Blood Angels (including Mephiston and the Sanguinor) taking on Angron. 

Imagine this scene. The last Grey Knight is rushing to deliver a rather important box to the Golden Throne when something hideous and winged swoops down and blocks his path. Dante comes to his aid. 

What's the best choice of antagonist?

Named Daemon Prince/Primarch - personally I think a Daemon Primarch is a bit too much...

Named Greater Daemon (Fateweaver, Skarbrand, N'Kari)

Previously unknown greater daemon/daemon prince

Something novel - like a giant Heldrake?

Thoughts?

DeathcompanyDante

DeathcompanyDante

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 34 posts
Kha Bhanda? Blood thirster of khorne who duelled Sanguinius at Signus Prime and broke his legs, before killing 500 blood angels. (This fuelled the awakening of either the red thirst or the black rage, can't remember which one). Then duelled him again at the gates of terra where sanguinius broke Ka Bhandas back. He appears every so often to ruin our day and is now (I believe) getting forces together to attack Baal?

Would be cool for Dante to go full rage mode and bring him down. I believe the Sanguinor has taken him down at least once?

Edited by DeathcompanyDante, 25 April 2017 - 10:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users