[IRON GAUNTLET] Ouroborus Perdition - Two IA's

Minigiant

Great work so far, really looking forward to seeing more of this smile.png

Glad you like it

Homeworld

O
tera, homeworld of the Black Ronin is classified as a μ or feudal world in the Ouroborus system of the Ultima Segmentum. With an entirely self-sufficient population, most of the native’s occupation is tending to the agriculture. Upon the founding of the Black Ronin, the Oterans had only just begun to utilise black powder weaponry. The warrior nobility that came to rule the planet remained firmly traditionalist and preferred to engage in combat with their finely crafted curved, single-edged blades with a circular or squared guard and long grip to accommodate two hands.

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/Minigiant/b2fb9e12-ada7-4d0e-b0a3-dc91061cc53d_zpslh7ahmnf.png

Otera'

The natives spoke of Wyrms, a fire breathing serpent creatures that roamed the land and ravaged harvests and villages. Many of the elders’ tales spoke of great soldiers slaying these beasts. What they knew though is that these Wyrms were nothing in comparison to the Wyrms that roam the Scorch.

Otera was located in Orbit around the Ouroborus stars. The Ouroborus stars are three Rubidium based white dwarfs stuck in a equilibrium state with one another, constantly tearing material from one another. The extreme gravitational energy being constantly released between them as long since prevented Otera from spinning on its Axis. Unlike its dark side, which is covered in vibrant forests, and snow-capped mountains, the side of the planet constantly exposed to the Ouroborus stars would be classified as a Death World, rightly referred to as the Scorch. An Arid landscape with sun baked earth, and no living organism apart from the Mighty Fire Wyrms.

The Ronins Fortress Monastery Tengu is built on top of and into the largest mountain on the planet; a stratovolcano that on a clear day can be seen from across the entire planet. For the natives Tengu’s mountain is the third and final holy mountain. Upon being selected to join the Ronin, an initiate’s very first test before they may enter the hallowed halls of the Ronin, one must climb the mountain.

Minigiant:

I see several things that I like (about the black ronin)

-you're going full-on Japanese culture here (as opposed to my half- censored.gif ed attempt several years ago that has perhaps three or four elements showing up in my Guantlet thread [i'm also relieved you changed Shogun, as that would have gotton awkward real quick, for me at least])

--many people, i find, cherrypick their references and it ends up being cliche. You, Minigiant, have dodged the shark and are on your way to a well-written IA

-you're using the 8th ed map, and fully to your advantage

-the Test of Honor is an excellent way of differentiating your scouts from your full-blown Astartes, and your Daimyo from the Seii Taisho

--expanding on that, why an adamantium katana, though? Are these standard-issue for the chapter, or do the Black Ronin simply have a certain number of these used for ceremonial purposes? Otherwise I feel that the adamantium is cheapened somewhat if there are large numbers of these Tests ongoing at once

Also, cool model. Looking forward to seeing that finished and painted!

Minigiant:

--expanding on that, why an adamantium katana, though? Are these standard-issue for the chapter, or do the Black Ronin simply have a certain number of these used for ceremonial purposes? Otherwise I feel that the adamantium is cheapened somewhat if there are large numbers of these Tests ongoing at once

I think I can address that simply. By the initiate donating their sword upon exceptence. The Techpriest reinforce it, before it is returned for the trial

Minigiant:

Here we go, addressed I feel

Recruitment

N
ew Black Ronin initiates are recruited from the warrior nobility of the native humans on Otera. Apothecaries wonder from Tengu from time to time to immerse themselves amongst the inhabitants of their feudal world. Challenging the nobles children sword duels. Invariably, of course, the gene-enhanced Ronin will emerge victorious. Those that display the virtues of the Black Ronin will be taken as their prize, back to the halls of Tengu; a great honour for the nobles of Otera. As a sign of respect between the Oterans and the Ronin, the young noble shall present their sword as gift out of respect between the bond they already share. From there they will undertake the many gruelling trials to become an Astartes.

The Apothecaries keep an ever vigilant and watchful eye over Otera, for if a native was to ever slay a Wyrm, the Ronin shall descend to collect the warrior, and deliver him from death by giving him the chance to serve the chapter.

Once an initiate has passed all of the preliminary trials, and prior to starting hypnotherapy as part of their transformation into a weapon of the Emperor, they are required to undertake the Test of Honour. If they return to Tengu successful, they are accepted into the ranks of the Black Ronin with open arms, and the remaining procedures are undergone to turn the recruit into a fully-fledged warrior of the Emperor.

The Test of Honour is is a unique undetaking by Black Ronin initiates. With their family sword returned to them having been reinforced by the Chapters artificers, they a thrown into the wilderness of Otera tasked with saving a village from a deadly Wyrm. To defeat the Wyrm the Black Ronin believe at their stage of transformation they must display the five qualities; loyalty, courage, veracity, compassion, and honour. How an Initiate slays the Wyrm is entirely individual, some inspire a cohort of Ashigaru to assist them, whilst some are inspired by feats of great martial prowess. Whatever happens the Apothecaries are always watching. Those that slay the Wyrm without exhibiting the qualities, are assigned to the tenth clan to become the chapters scouts.
Test of Honour'

Minigiant: family sword makes much more sense than chapter handing out adamantium swords like they're candy. thumbsup.gif

Other than asking what Ashigaru are, I feel like I can't really add anything more to this. Looks good! (Just don't forget to collate everything in the OP if you haven't already.)

So been a little slow in getting this done. Constantly waiting for green stuff to dry before starting the next bit is a drag.

True-scale Samurai Space marines (Logan for Scale)

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/Minigiant/20170501_112649_zpslix9vspp.jpg

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/Minigiant/20170501_112702_zpsmln5gdwz.jpg

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/Minigiant/20170501_112022_zpsf1jh9a0q.jpg

I do love the Cataphracti terminators plastic kit, and with a little work I believe I could create a True Scale marine kit that when cast, an easy way of making a True scale marine company. No idea what actual space marine shoulder pads would be suitable however with such ornate looking armour

Thoughts needed: Chaplains

Do you think codex chaplains work in this chapter? Been thinking about it, and for some reason (unfortunately cannot put my finger on it) they just do not currently sit right with me. This could of course be me just wanting to add and add until I break what I have achieved so far

Hi, just read your IA on the Black Ronin. I think it's a very fascinating Chapter and ideas. There have been very few Chapters that follow the theme of Feudal Japan. I'm glad you included a vocabulary list so the reader can know what the names mean and what rank it is equivalent to. I like how the combat doctrine of the Chapter is a mix of Raven Guards Drop pod assault with Black Templars land Raider Spearhead. Very interesting indeed. One suggestion I have is, since they are an old Chapter how have they fared through history, example: Past Battles and Campaigns. What is their view of the world around them? Perhaps you can also add in Notable battles/campaigns to give the Chapter a little more character and how it has changed through time.

After the completion of these IA's and challenge, will you be participating in the other challenges to paint up a force? It would be awesome to see the Kubuto helm on some of the space marine models you have.

Hi, just read your IA on the Black Ronin. I think it's a very fascinating Chapter and ideas. There have been very few Chapters that follow the theme of Feudal Japan. I'm glad you included a vocabulary list so the reader can know what the names mean and what rank it is equivalent to. I like how the combat doctrine of the Chapter is a mix of Raven Guards Drop pod assault with Black Templars land Raider Spearhead. Very interesting indeed. One suggestion I have is, since they are an old Chapter how have they fared through history, example: Past Battles and Campaigns. What is their view of the world around them? Perhaps you can also add in Notable battles/campaigns to give the Chapter a little more character and how it has changed through time.

After the completion of these IA's and challenge, will you be participating in the other challenges to paint up a force? It would be awesome to see the Kubuto helm on some of the space marine models you have.

Thank you

I think the challenge/issue with Samurai marines is that it is very easy to become comical.

As for your questions, I do plan to add some notable history. Something in one of the black crusades, and something fighting a tyranid fleet.

I enjoyed converting the ronin (plenty I will do differently next time), I may expand my vow (that I will most likely fail at this point) to include building a kill team/combat patrol.

I will be changing the shoulder pads however, found better alternatives

I feel it is not very well written but here is some history

Notable Engagements and History

O
ver their long and illustrious existence the Black Ronin have bestowed great honour and respect upon themselves, the Adeptus Astartes, and the God Emperor himself.

Hive Fleet Rusalka

At the end of M38 the Black Ronin were called to protect the Scylla system, from Tyranid Hive Fleet Rusalka. The Scylla system consisting of numerous oceanic worlds vital to the supply of fish and fresh water for vast areas of the Imperium, their loss could prove fatal to billions of lives. Seii Taisho Hajime's Clan of the White Tiger along with Yasuke's Clan of the Jade Dragon were dispatched to intercept and eradicate this Xenos threat. Hajime fatefully fell to the Tyranid threat, however Yasuke would earn much honour to be annointed the Seii Taisho successor. Yasuke's killing blow fell on the sea bed of Sirens Prime, with orbital bombardment pushing the creatures to the sea bed, their brothers engaged the beasts in combat, before retreating and triggering the underwater volcano, incinerating the last of the Xenos threat.

Gothic War

With the twelfth black crusade being fought so close to their system,  the Black Ronin could not help but become engulfed in the years of war Abaddon and plunged the Imperium into. They were tested to the limit when Abaddon ordered some of his commanders to attempt to harness the Ouroborus stars with that of a Blackstone Fortress. Fortunately for the Ronin the Blackstone Fortress never made it to them, for if they had, it would have found the full might of the Ronins fleet lying in wait among the wreckage of Abaddons fleets. The Ronin had deployed half of their chapter to boarding the foul ships, the battle was only one when Seii Taisho Yasuke decapitated Abaddons lieutenant in single combat. As the Black Ronin disembarked from the ships, they programmed the ships to fly directly into the centre of the Ouroborus stars, where any hope of salvage was lost as their gravitational forces, to this day continue to tear them apart.

Hajime and Yasuke are given names, not surnames. Are Ronin required to renounce their original surnames when they join the Chapter? Or do some simply not have surnames, as was the case for peasants before the Meiji Restoration made surnames mandatory for all Japanese citizens?

Hajime and Yasuke are given names, not surnames. Are Ronin required to renounce their original surnames when they join the Chapter? Or do some simply not have surnames, as was the case for peasants before the Meiji Restoration made surnames mandatory for all Japanese citizens?

I thought they were last names. Will correct that

Chapter Cult and Belief System

T
he Black Ronin do not seem to venerate any Primarch above the others, giving their devotion solely to the Emperor; Providing no further evidence to the gene-seed heritage of the Iron Snakes, their founding chapter. The preservation of their core values; loyalty, courage, veracity, compassion, and honour, is the Chapters core belief. The Ronin’s devotion to these values over millenia has made them isolationists, scorning those who they believe are less pure or deviate from the Codex. When a brother of the chapter falls in battle, they will exhaust great lengths to retrieve the body, so that the lifetime of loyalty, courage, veracity, compassion, and honour, the brother has bestowed upon themselves and the chapter can be venerated and recorded by the chapters Chaplains. They are also staunch traditionalists and protectors of authority, and are quick to aid Imperial governors or cardinals faced with rebellion.

47 Blackshields start. (Not happy with it yet but get the outline down and work from there)

During one of the darkest parts of the Horus Heresy, Praetor Setesh of the XVth Legion, one of Magnus’ highest military officials was ordered to occupy the planet Otera, where they were tasked with locating the Kawari Kabuto Helm, a mighty artefact capable to turning the tide of the great events that were unfolding around them, an artefact Ahriman himself had narrowed down to the planet. Setesh’s secondary objective was to unravel the Ouroborus stars, and to determine the likelihood that they could be harnessed.

39db11d08b734ce0d03df8a433401823.jpg
Asano Naganori's Seppuku'

Planetary governor Asano Naganori, the Daimyo of the Planet was assigned in name only to assist the Praetor in any way possible. The meagre gifts Asano Naganori had presented did very little to soften Setesh presence in his lands. Asano Naganori had become deeply insulted by this but what was he to do, for he could not stand up to the might of these imposing giants clad in impenetrable armour, and capable of turning rock into dust with just their hands. No matter Asano Naganori’s approach, Setesh remained un-cooperative and scornful of Asano Naganori's manners.

On the day Setesh learned that Asano Naganori was the only inhabitant to know of the whereabouts of the ancient helm they seeked, Asano Naganori only response to being asked where they were to find it was "You should have found out long ago, I am too busy to help you now."

With his pride and his patience goaded beyond endurance, Setesh drew his sword  in anger, lashing out and scaring Asano Naganori across his face before he restrained himself. For the crime of withholding information Asano Naganori was condemned to torture before being executing. However before Asano Naganori was able to be tortured, he enacted seppuku, or ritual suicide. That very day he forfeited his life, in belief it would be saving billions.

Whispers and gossip quickly carried the news of Asano Naganori’s death and the great sacrifice he had made for the Emperor. The situation was serious. Not only was their governor dead, but his lands and holdings were overrun and controlled by the fifteenth legion. The local inhabitants had lost all hope of this nightmare ending, with the little of what remained being in the prayers that the emperor would deliver them from evil. There prayers were not long answered.

As [Name 1] is a Thousand Sons member, he should have an Egyptian (spelled "AEgyptian" in the 30th millennium) name. May I suggest "Set", after the Egyptian storm god who murdered his brother to usurp the latter's throne? (Wikipedia's article on "Set (deity)" has several alternate spellings for that god.)

As for [Name 2], the most obvious suggestion is "Asano Naganori", the Daimyo for whom the 47 Ronin gave their lives. (Note: "Asano" is the surname, "Naganori" is the given name. In China, Korea, and Japan, the surname is put before the given name.) If that's too obvious, how about "Takumino" as a surname, after Asano's title of "Takumi no Kami"?

You don't necessarily have to use Egyptian spelling. Setekh, Setesh, Sutekh or Suty are all variations of the same name. 

Thank you, can always rely on you two for names.

Do you think Asana Naganoi would become an Imperial Saint?

Do you think I could ingrave a piece of the blade he commited seppuku into a might sword? A might artifact of the Black Ronin?

Why not for his people?

Eccliasiarchy is full of saints. Go for it.

The famous Helbrecht's own sword is made of shards from Dorns blade. Even the Black Swords do have fragments of Sigismunds if I remember correctly.

Why not for his people?

Eccliasiarchy is full of saints. Go for it.

The famous Helbrecht's own sword is made of shards from Dorns blade. Even the Black Swords do have fragments of Sigismunds if I remember correctly.

Brilliant, added it to the IA. To small a change to post about.

This however could be considered worthy of posting about

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/Minigiant/20170503_115812_zpsxacpg7mo.jpg

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/Minigiant/20170503_115823_zpsjuhiaboy.jpg

I don't care what anyone says, there's a reason so many people come up with Samurai based DIYS Chapters, Games Workshop left out one of the most well known (and IMO one of the coolest) warrior cultures when they put together their universe.

That being said, the IA for your Black Ronin still needs a little work. It's full of little errors and there are parts that feel incomplete and not fully realized. For example, you mention that the Ronin lack numbers due to their TBH strange organizational structure, but then go on to later suggest that they have the forces necessary to eliminate an entire force of Chaos Marines by themselves. I find this hard to believe.

(I don't know if you noticed this but there's a part in your description of one of the Chapters unique units where it says Space Wolves)

All in all I like the idea but it's still rough and needs a little work, I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

On to the Night Vipers. (Don't know if this counts as one or two C&Cs but hey, what the heck)

It's interesting trying to imagine a Space Marine working covertly, especially when you add in the fact that they are especially tall and healthy. A Space Marine already stands well above a normal human, and in the Imperium of the 41st Millennium I'd be willing to bet that "healthy looking" isn't something often said to describe an Imperial citizen, especially if they come from a hive. Both things would make it difficult to blend in for a Space Marine, doesn't matter how good at espionage they are.

I like the sudo Apothecary and Techmarine in each squad idea, it lends itself well to the proposed self sufficiency of each squad.

Overall, like your Ronin, the Night Vipers still need some work, but the concept sounds interesting. Looking forward to how they turn out in the end.

Archived