Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

In the warhammer universe what does "astartes" actuall mean?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

old git

old git

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 687 posts
  • Chapter Name: Red Scorpions
Britain's RAF's motto is 'Per ardua ad Astra', roughly translated as (I'm no Latin buff) 'through adversity to the stars'. As has been said GW don't do accurate Latin, rather, Latin sounding phrases that sound cool. 'Astra' is close to Astartes' in GW speak so Astartes = stars.

Adeptus, quite simply, equals Adept. So, Adept of the Stars most likely means what GW want you you to think it means, Space Marine. Let's not forget that marines are naval infantry in a historic sense so a Space Marine is a soldier (OK, a genetically re-engineered super soldier) skilled in space ship combat. Also, marines carry out ground operations once landed from their naval assets thus continuing the parallel.

Trying to read literal translation from Latin to 40k gothic is a bit silly really.

Servant of Dante

Servant of Dante

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,821 posts
  • Chapter Name: Order of the Valorous Heart

Thank you for pointing out the Orders Non-Militant, Reaper. Lots of people forget about those.

Though, there are also the Orders Sabine (go to worlds to prep them for integration to the Imperial Cult by blending into the native population) and the Orders Pronatus (who may or may not repair the Sister's tech, and one of which researched a Keeper of Secrets, till it kinda murdered all of them (see Daemonifuge))

Edit: accidentally said Sabine twice :D

Edited by Servant of Dante, 19 May 2017 - 05:37 PM.

A D-B

A D-B

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,092 posts

I know this one because it came up with why GW thought calling them singularly Astartes rather than Space Marines made no sense. The GW translation is "Adepts of the Stars", they were holding off on referring to them as Astartes as an individual because their argument was "of the Stars" on its own made no sense.

Like Doghouse said, it means "of the stars". You can't imagine the bitterness of The Email War over this, but that's what it means.

I'm a bit confused, did they change Adeptus Sororitas to Adepta Sororitas?

Yep, way back when they released the updated digital 'dex in 6th.

It's to make it more feminine, which makes me think 'Adeptus' doesn't mean 'Department of'

No, it's not to make it more feminine. It's to convey the sense of scale in terms of multiple Adepta that do vastly different things with different focal points, whereas the Adeptus Astartes is, by contrast, a more cohesive concept. It's a mega-pluraliser, not a genderiser. Capt. Reaper explained it well.

Edited by A D-B, 14 May 2017 - 10:15 AM.

• Doghouse and IronDrake28 like this
Note: Everything I say is my own personal opinion as hobbyist, a novelist, and the world's slowest painter. It's not intended to reflect back on Games Workshop in any professional context.

- 30K & 40K WIP Thread - 

Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,164 posts
  • Chapter Name: Summoners

Ah I thought that might be the case, cheers for confirming for me mate. :tu:

TRUESCALE SPACE MARINE TUTORIAL

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Spoiler

SHADOW WAR: HORUS HERESY PROJECT RULES

http://www.bolterand...r-horus-heresy/

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 336 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Adeptus is supposed to mean 'priesthood'.

Adeptus Terra = Priesthood of Earth

Adeptus Ministorum = Priesthood of the Imperial Cult

Adeptus Mechanicus = The Machine Cult/Priesthood of Mars

The Theocratic nature of the Imperium just means that even if a department isn't obviously a priesthood it still technically is one due to being subordinate to the Adeptus Terra. Hence why Ministorum officials always have more specific titles like Confessor or Missionary because 'priest' is basically meaningless in the Imperium's hierarchy.

All Space Marines are technically Warrior monks, hence "Battle Brothers" and "Fortress Monastery".

Astarte (singular) was a war goddess but the plural form was commonly used because there were thousands of local Astarte cults syncretised with various local divinities. In the ancient near east idols were considered to be living bodies imbued with the essence of the deity. In a lot of museum collections they just call any female figurine "an Astarte". The generic use of the term is much more common than the few references to Astarte as a specific goddess. So technically Astartes would more likely mean "idols/avatars of the war god". Which would make a lot of sense if you think of a Space Marine as a vessel made supernatural by being imbued with the essence of his primarch.

Legiones Astartes has been used as a term in post-heresy contexts so its not technically defunct and entirely replaced by Adeptus Astartes.

Edited by Closet Skeleton, 17 May 2017 - 10:01 AM.

• Arkangilos and Sugarlessllama like this

Sugarlessllama

Sugarlessllama

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 355 posts
  • Chapter Name: Imperial Consuls

So you are thinking Priesthood of War? I like it.

But didn't they use the same term during the Great Crusade? Because I would have thought that the Imperial Truth at the time would have forbade any kind of "priesthood".

19.jpg

Arkangilos

Arkangilos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,707 posts
  • Chapter Name: Sanguinary Crusaders

I thought during the HH they were just called the Legion Astartes, not Adeptus. But I'll be honest, I don't know.

Previously known as Telanicus

IA Sanguinary Crusaders The Crusaders of Blood (Revised, still under some work) And WiP Page
IT Warriors of Cain Unholy Chosen The Chosen of the Unholy Imperium of Cane.

gallery_29004_10383_20021.jpg

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users