Primarch Book 4: Perturabo-Hammer of Olympia

Izlude

Well said.

I've always been fascinated by Perturabo on some level. He never really fell to Chaos.I mean, yeah, he took his revenge on Dorn. He became a Daemon Primarch off the back of that but he just went into exile and barely ever emerged from it, to the point where his Legion waged war upon one another on their new homeworld. He aided Abaddon later, but only to a relatively small extent.

If anything, I see him as a very tragic figure for a lot of reasons LetsYouDown stated. He was misused and ground down from lofty heights. Among all the Primarchs, nobody embodies the weariness, the meat grinder aspect of the Great Crusade, quite like Perturabo. Many may lament it, but most still accept their lot in it. Perturabo chafed at it, always. His talents didn't just serve to tear down fortresses, but also his own character and Legion.

P.S. Laurie - I'm the 3rd person here who can't see the answer you hinted about the hrud.

The hrud are not migrating through space, but time. The Imperium encounters the same creatures, over and over again, throughout history.

Guy and I couldn't decide if the were heading forwards in time, skipping the Imperium's brief stint in the galactic spotlight, or if they were fleeing backwards into the past to escape some horrible event that was still to come, or some other menace that the Imperium hasn't encountered yet.

I know where my head-canon is at, though...

Now go back and look again. Sooooo many clues as to what Guy thinks is happening, too.

Ahhhh - that's a good one. Thanks Laurie. I do think - it's 'cooler' to have them moving back from some w41k disaster - like after Gathering Storm and Indomitus Crusade :wink:

So in general all that struggle against the migration is pointless, cause any time they could move forward/backwards .... What about the time Paradox?

'But yeah, that's the tragedy of the Iron Warriors. It wasn't the perfidious influence of Chaos or anything that broke them. Just 160 years of thankless grinding and a perfect storm of cultural circumstances.'

- the question is - 'why Perty didn't talked with his father?' Why not try to fix the problem from the rootes?

Is it not more like 70k or 80k horrors than 41k?

Time paradoxs don't really function in 40k universe as we have come to expect them to from other sci fi. The whole time weirdness of the warp wouldn't allow it. Everything would be dead the minute they discovered warp travel or maybe before

True - but at the same time Gav Thorpe has used it for Caliban in the last book about DA 'Unforgiven'. 'Everything would be dead the minute they discovered warp travel or maybe before' - how come DA still alive?

Everything has happened that will happened or has yet to happen. Oh. And laughing warp things.

I wouldn't mind them also migrating to the future. Escaping the Waring Galaxy is a Sisyphean task of I ever heard one. The in the far future there is nothing but war and all that.

Everything has happened that will happened or has yet to happen. Oh. And laughing warp things.

I wouldn't mind them also migrating to the future. Escaping the Waring Galaxy is a Sisyphean task of I ever heard one. The in the far future there is nothing but war and all that.

Disaster and new Age of Sigmar 2.0 - indeed why warp where at all.

Forget to mention one 'most stupid moment' in the book - the knife fight.... It was like 'golly gee' and minus one star for review just for that

My Pre-Cog functionality predicts a problem. Marshall Loss will feel compelled to reply to Heritor that he actually quite liked "the knife fight" and this will lead to Heritor replying , laying out the details of the knife fight, the people involved, and the outcome, and thus spoiling it for me. 

Hopefully I have prohibited that sequence of events from happening by posting. 

My Pre-Cog functionality predicts a problem. Marshall Loss will feel compelled to reply to Heritor that he actually quite liked "the knife fight" and this will lead to Heritor replying , laying out the details of the knife fight, the people involved, and the outcome, and thus spoiling it for me. 

http://i.imgur.com/Rp72HYK.png

I never quote HeritorA, by posting this you make it more likely to happen. Be careful in the use of your pre-cog in the future, lest it damn us all

Edited by Marshal Loss

You can always just block him. It doesn't actually block someone completely, it shows where their posts are so you can click them down like a spoiler tag. Very handy feature to use when you're mostly ok with someone but notice they might carelessly post spoilers now and then, OR if you just really don't like what they have to say, ever. Either way.

Is "the knife fight" that one scene where:

Perturabo is made to fight the other Tyrant's soldier? Or when an assassin came for him and threatened his sister? Or am I forgetting the relevant scene? If it's either of those former two, they were like a page or two at most, right? Not much to gripe about. I thought they were well-paced scenes. They were both formative moments for Perturabo, moments that show us how and why he never grasped the value of human life.

Well, picked the book up today and finished it in about 3 hours of on-and-off reading. Loved every single bit of it. Perturabo's petulence and yet the insight of his own failings and shortcommings, not only as a ruler or legionmaster, but also as a character are phenomenal. His growing up on Olympia was also very fascinating, as until now we've only been told and rarely shown that the Iron Lord had a mind for many different things and not just warfare, but both here and to a lesser extent in Magnus we are shown that he enjoys applying himself to other things, or that he at least has a very urgent wish to do so. As an Iron Warrior collector myself, this is exactly what I wanted and even a bit more. Perturabo is depicted as philosopher, logician, warlord, human, egotist and many other things, yet his capability for self reflection in the end truly set him apart for me. Definitely one of my favorite BL novels. The only nitpick that I have is, that there are a few grammar and syntax errors in it (6 by my count), but that could certainly be worse. To anyone who is a fan of the IVth legion, a must read :)

He didn't like it.

Not only me - it is childish, definitely show that Guy know nothing about 'that kind of fight'

No - I will not :teehee:

You can always just block him. It doesn't actually block someone completely, it shows where their posts are so you can click them down like a spoiler tag. Very handy feature to use when you're mostly ok with someone but notice they might carelessly post spoilers now and then, OR if you just really don't like what they have to say, ever. Either way.

Is "the knife fight" that one scene where:

Perturabo is made to fight the other Tyrant's soldier? Or when an assassin came for him and threatened his sister? Or am I forgetting the relevant scene? If it's either of those former two, they were like a page or two at most, right? Not much to gripe about. I thought they were well-paced scenes. They were both formative moments for Perturabo, moments that show us how and why he never grasped the value of human life.

both. And I never forget to include spoilers tag, lol

He didn't like it.

Not only me - it is childish, definitely show that Guy know nothing about 'that kind of fight'
Then would you be so kind to provide us with some tips in human vs primarch knife techniques?:-)

If you asked so nicely.

They are not so different as to 1 small agile human being to a heavy weight boxer in a thin dark alley. Instead here we have Perturabo as more like Richards and Kleins (which by the way is amazing) or even like one particular character from the Emperor's Railroad instead of big, angry grox that Perturabo is.

And let be honest - all that ' I don't remember...but the Eye is watching me....' is kind of golly gee :wacko.:

Perturabo's relationship to the eye isn't Haley's fault though, I thought he did an excellent job of dampening many of the concepts that were first introduced in Angel Exterminatus. He 'did a Wraight' - reconciled two different perspectives effectively and in a very entertaining way, in my opinion.

I have so far and will continue to buy all the limited edition Primarch novels for they have all been very interesting and entertaining to read.

Guys Perturabo for me was the best one out of the releases so far. I liked the layout of jumping to his up bringing to the current events of the hrud campaign. It would of been great if all the primarch novels followed this formula.

I really enjoyed seeing the Hrud in some significant way and I think Guys versions of the Iron warriors was on par with John Frenchs and Graham Mcneils.

I cant wait to read Guys next book whatever that may be.

I definitely would not shed a tear if Haley did the Horus Primarch book but I hope French gets to do it. His short story, The Warmaster (while short) was awesome and his upcoming Dark Compliance I am sure will be very good (although will wait for printed format). I hope French does Dorn as well. I really love the IW and IF rivalry as well as their respective primarchs. 

Good point, I'd be happy with French too - I wasn't considering his name because he hasn't participated in the Primarch series yet, but it is early days so that's a little premature.

I'd rather French not do Dorn though, while Praetorian was awesome he's a little bit too much of a fan. Just as when we get to Vulkan, I hope we don't get Kyme, or Thorpe for the Lion, etc. I like seeing different perspectives to the norm.

Edited by Marshal Loss

After his take on Maloghurst, and this novel, I'm hoping that Haley is the one that does the eventual Horus Primarch novel. I'd really like to see his take on him.

Ahhh that short was amazing indeed.

But Perturabo in general not the best Primarch book and definitely not an awesome one. Wraight novella is still the best.

Perturabo's relationship to the eye isn't Haley's fault though, I thought he did an excellent job of dampening many of the concepts that were first introduced in Angel Exterminatus. He 'did a Wraight' - reconciled two different perspectives effectively and in a very entertaining way, in my opinion.

True - HH has several golly gee moments which totally ruin the serie - like Perturabo depiction by different authors, Perpetuals stuff, boring Imperium Secundus and a lot of old re-releases all the time.

But Perturabo in general not the best Primarch book and definitely not an awesome one, in my humble opinion. Wraight novella is still the best.

Fixed that for you :teehee:

Had a reread of the book again today, still enjoyed it massively. Only thing that slightly bothered me was

The scene where the Iron Warriors turned upon each other during the razing of Olympia (I think it was within the city of Lochos, but not too sure right now). While I found that to be a very interesting dynamic, especially considering how obedient Space Marines seemed to be during the Great Crusade, I still think it felt a bit rushed. Would've liked a half a page more ambience building around that scene, but oh well. Can't have everything.

Do we know which Primarch is next? I remember seeing a beautiful cover of Fulgrim making the rounds. I assume we don't have a release order, do we?

Do we know which Primarch is next? I remember seeing a beautiful cover of Fulgrim making the rounds. I assume we don't have a release order, do we?

Lorgar's next, by Gav Thorpe. Then I think it's Fulgrim by Josh Reynolds, and at some point I think we get Ferrus Manus but I can't remember who's supposed to be writing that one.

edit: David Guymer for Ferrus Manus, probably. I think Guy Haley mentioned on Combat Phase that he was doing Mortarion as his next Primarchs book, too, but that could just be tentative.

Edited by LetsYouDown