Primarch Book 4: Perturabo-Hammer of Olympia

Izlude

• 3 weeks later...
Calliphone went on. 'For a long time, I thought you a fool to follow the Emperor. After all, he is a tyrant like all the rest. Look what he has done to you, I thought. He has brutalised you, and your wars have brutalised your home. But the truth is, brother, I have followed your campaigns carefully, and I noticed a pattern that disturbed and then alarmed me. Always you do things the most difficult way, and in the most painful manner. You cultivate a martyr's complex, lurching from man to man, holding out your bleeding wrists so they might see how you hurt yourself. You brood in the shadows when all you want to do is scream 'Look at me!' You are too arrogant to win people over through effort. You expect people to notice you there in the half-darkness, and point and shout out 'There! There is the great Perturabo! See how he labours without complaint!' [...]

'You came to this court as a precocious child. Your abilities were so prodigious that nobody stopped to look at what you were becoming.' [...] 'Perturabo, this will anger you, but you never truly grew into a man. It is not the Emperor who has driven this world into rebellion. It is not he who has held it back. It is you and your woeful egotism. Let me tell you, my brother, you who affects to despise love so much yet must certainly crave it over all other things, you are the biggest fool I have ever met.'

I'm sorry but how did Perturabo ever show his face in public after this level of verbal destruction and humiliation? I was like 'stop stop, he's already dead!' the entire time I was reading this.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, what to say about Perturabo?

It is pretty damn awesome! Best Primarch book thus far. For me, Guy nailed both, the characterization of Perturabo and his Legion. Somehow, I can see myself in Perturabo. Especially during the events on Olympia including his breakdown. It is so comprehensible. Just like Chris did with Russ, Perturabo is human again.

Chris' Russ was caretaking, honorable, someone who doesn't give a sh** about what others think about him.

Magnus was, well, Magnus. Nothing new or surprisingly happening in here.

Perturabo is both, genius and madmen because of his temper. He looses control over his rage and when it's abated, he feels remorse. Especially on Olympia. I always had some problems in understanding the Iron Warriors per se. Thanks to Guy, they are now my favorite traitor Legion as they are so "comprehensible", at least for me. Sure, Thousand Sons are the victims of Tzeentch scheemings and their Primarch's hubris and the Night Lords are still (depending on which author wrote about them) intimidating, frightening and just badass. But the IW... I can really understand how it feels to be rejected by others. Doing your best everyday with now acknowledgment of others.

I cannot share the impression of Perturabo being too straightforward. He is very complex. Bit of daddy-issues, yeah, but not so much in the end. It's more the entire Imperium which rejected him.

Overall, great book. Currently reading Angelus Exterminatus and IMHO I like Mc'Neils take on Perturabo as well. I liked him in Magnus and I'm liking him until now. Tbh Guys and Grahams Perturabo are more complex and diverse than FWs take on him. Though I love FWs overall Iron Warrior fluff. ;)

In the end, thanks Guy! Great job. :D

Next ones I'm eager to read will be Ferrus' one. It's the next one after Lorgar and Fulgrim, right? :)

The only thing is Perturabo is shown as being very angry.

But we also have Ferrus who apparently was also very angry.

Then we have Angron who was also very angry.

It’s almost like they’re related or something.

They are all angry - some more than others :wink: Ferrus, Angron, Perturabo were born angry. Mortarion was born grumpy :biggrin.:

It is pretty damn awesome! Best Primarch book thus far. For me, Guy nailed both, the characterization of Perturabo and his Legion. Somehow, I can see myself in Perturabo. Especially during the events on Olympia including his breakdown. It is so comprehensible. Just like Chris did with Russ, Perturabo is human again.

Chris' Russ was caretaking, honorable, someone who doesn't give a sh** about what others think about him.

Perturabo is both, genius and madmen because of his temper. He looses control over his rage and when it's abated, he feels remorse. Especially on Olympia. I always had some problems in understanding the Iron Warriors per se. Thanks to Guy, they are now my favorite traitor Legion as they are so "comprehensible", at least for me. Sure, Thousand Sons are the victims of Tzeentch scheemings and their Primarch's hubris and the Night Lords are still (depending on which author wrote about them) intimidating, frightening and just badass. But the IW... I can really understand how it feels to be rejected by others. Doing your best everyday with now acknowledgment of others.

I cannot share the impression of Perturabo being too straightforward. He is very complex. Bit of daddy-issues, yeah, but not so much in the end. It's more the entire Imperium which rejected him.

Overall, great book. Currently reading Angelus Exterminatus and IMHO I like Mc'Neils take on Perturabo as well. I liked him in Magnus and I'm liking him until now. Tbh Guys and Grahams Perturabo are more complex and diverse than FWs take on him. Though I love FWs overall Iron Warrior fluff. :wink:

In the end, thanks Guy! Great job. :biggrin.:

Next ones I'm eager to read will be Ferrus' one. It's the next one after Lorgar and Fulgrim, right? :smile.:

Nobody rejected Perturabo he chose to stand apart and activelly drove people away.

Calliphone destroyed that excuse.

Perturabo is my second favorite traitor Primarch but lets be honest evrything that went wrong for him he is at the very least partly to blame for it.

Calliphone went on. 'For a long time, I thought you a fool to follow the Emperor. After all, he is a tyrant like all the rest. Look what he has done to you, I thought. He has brutalised you, and your wars have brutalised your home. But the truth is, brother, I have followed your campaigns carefully, and I noticed a pattern that disturbed and then alarmed me. Always you do things the most difficult way, and in the most painful manner. You cultivate a martyr's complex, lurching from man to man, holding out your bleeding wrists so they might see how you hurt yourself. You brood in the shadows when all you want to do is scream 'Look at me!' You are too arrogant to win people over through effort. You expect people to notice you there in the half-darkness, and point and shout out 'There! There is the great Perturabo! See how he labours without complaint!' [...]

'You came to this court as a precocious child. Your abilities were so prodigious that nobody stopped to look at what you were becoming.' [...] 'Perturabo, this will anger you, but you never truly grew into a man. It is not the Emperor who has driven this world into rebellion. It is not he who has held it back. It is you and your woeful egotism. Let me tell you, my brother, you who affects to despise love so much yet must certainly crave it over all other things, you are the biggest fool I have ever met.'

I'm sorry but how did Perturabo ever show his face in public after this level of verbal destruction and humiliation? I was like 'stop stop, he's already dead!' the entire time I was reading this.

Loved that segment .

Perturabo could have been a better man but in the end was too proud and stubborn to make the effort.

Perturabo is a Pariah.

In a literal meaning.

But it’s all self inflicted because he wanted to be recognised as doing the tough jobs and being special when everyone else just got on with it without moaning like a little girl

It's clear why the emperor chose Dorn over Perturabo to design his palace.

Dorn is a slightly less skilled siegemaster but he does'nt have close to the personality issues that Perturabo had.

I

Overall, great book. Currently reading Angelus Exterminatus and IMHO I like Mc'Neils take on Perturabo as well. I liked him in Magnus and I'm liking him until now. Tbh Guys and Grahams Perturabo are more complex and diverse than FWs take on him. Though I love FWs overall Iron Warrior fluff. :wink:

In the end, thanks Guy! Great job. :biggrin.:

Next ones I'm eager to read will be Ferrus' one. It's the next one after Lorgar and Fulgrim, right? :smile.:

Nobody rejected Perturabo he chose to stand apart and activelly drove people away.

Calliphone destroyed that excuse.

Perturabo is my second favorite traitor Primarch but lets be honest evrything that went wrong for him he is at the very least partly to blame for it.

Absolutely!

I rather think it's a mixture of both but tbh, Calliphone's scene was so damn good. I loved that one the most of all. That's why I felt so familiar with Perturabo, 'cause in the end he is a human. Even with all his advantages and superior mind, he still has the same flaws as we got. He thinks that everybody hates him and starts to hate everyone as he felt rejected by his brothers and father. In truth, it was he himself who separated himself from his "family" for not feeling accepted enough. Nobody came to him, clapped on his shoulder and said: Good boy.

They all knew might have known of what he's capable of and that his Legion is somehow a masterpiece in itself. But because of his temper and his sometimes unstable behavior (including driving his brothers away), they kept him at distance as well.

It's truly a doom loop and yet, this happens so often in our real world that this fictional one just feels comprehensible.

I do agree with you that every traitor Primarch is to be blamed for his own demise. Magnus for his hubris, Perturabo for his temper and lacking skill of empathy, Curze for having gone too far and so on.

And for showing us this doom loop which lead to his loss of control, the genocide of Olympia and in the end him joining Horus, I simply love this book. It's the same with Chris' Russ. His Leman felt so comprehensible as well. I emphasized with him like I do with Perturabo these days.

And THAT is what this series should be about, imho. :)

Perturabo is a Pariah.

In a literal meaning.

But it’s all self inflicted because he wanted to be recognised as doing the tough jobs and being special when everyone else just got on with it without moaning like a little girl

Bravo!

Perturabo is a Pariah.

In a literal meaning.

It's clear why the emperor chose Dorn over Perturabo to design his palace.

Dorn is a slightly less skilled siegemaster but he does'nt have close to the personality issues that Perturabo had.

I

Because Perturabo instead of helping and suggest ot improve the Palace went full on eradicate/destroy everyone.