HH to remain using 7th ed rules

Straight from GW's announcement of 8th ed:

A few of you might be wondering how the new edition of Warhammer 40,000 affects Forge World’s Horus Heresy rules and army lists. Well, for the moment, it won’t! You can carry on using the existing Warhammer 40,000 ruleset for your Horus Heresy games.

Looks like FW isn't ready. Not really a surprise there, but I'd rather we wait until they are ready than we get some rushed FAQ that botches years of brilliance.

That's true. It's better that we wait for the years of brilliance to be botched rather than rush straight to it... :P

Looks like FW isn't ready. Not really a surprise there, but I'd rather we wait until they are ready than we get some rushed FAQ that botches years of brilliance.

That's true. It's better that we wait for the years of brilliance to be botched rather than rush straight to it... tongue.png

Well even with that negative attitude, this is FW, it will be a long wait either way. :P

"Narrative Play" - What's wrong with coming out and calling it 30K? Not exactly a leap of logic biggrin.png

Massive positive - no 30K AoS for a good while as FW pull finger from :cuss and works on updating everything

Massive negative - eventually we'll get dragged into the steaming pile of :cuss 8th is shaping up to be (I'll still give it a try, just zero expectations)

Bigger positive - Pretty sure enough people would be keen on rolling it onward 9th Age Fantasy style if everything heads South

With their statement saying that Forgeworld 40k units will still be usable in 8th I think Forgeworld opted to focus on the Imperial Armor Rules first and that Horus Heresy will be converted at a later date. They did say for the moment and not that it was going to remain locked in 7th or that it will not be updated to 8th at any point. I find it very unlikely they will develop a new core rule set especially given the fact that it isn't always possible for people to find 30k opponents in their areas and making them somewhat cross compatible by having common core rules can net them money as people keep expanding their armies.

So in my mind, Horus Heresy is safe at the moment but it is only a delay in the conversion to 8th.

It'd be nice if they at least released the last three legions rules/special units/characters for 7th edition. (For those of us who have all of the 7th edition codices and don't intend to play anything else) 

Fingers crossed for our brothers from the last Legions. Maybe you get 7th edition rules.

Maybe ;)

I think that's exactly why Forgeworld is sticking to 7th edition. Sure, they've already made 18 other armies, but there are still the last three Legions left and they've probably been in development longer than 8th edition.

So sure, they could just drop those three Legions and attempt to revamp the other 15, and the Mechanicum, and the Imperial Auxilia, and then go back to working on the last three Legions like I've noticed some posters seem to want, but really it'd just make a bigger mess than what there already is.

I don't think the wait will be years, maybe one year at the most.

All FW have to do is update the Red books with core unit rules and expand the Legion rules to include the latest legion lists.

Tbh I'm not worried about the edition change, all my models can still be used so no problem.

I'd expect the last legions to be released will have 8th ed rules, unless the book is very close to release

Makes it easy for me with my Legion lists, white scars and word bearers.

the Bearers stay 7th, my scars are 40k/30k compatible so I do w/e I want with whomever I play against.

When they do the 8th ed rules; Ill most certainly buy them!  Will be a great upcoming edition and im sure FW will adapt just fine.

though I certainly don't mind 30k under 7th as its a relatively well balanced set of armies/factions.

though I certainly don't mind 30k under 7th as its a relatively well balanced set of armies/factions.

agreed. The core rules of 7th ed are my favorite in many years. Im not saying it's not without its lumps, but overall its been a fun run

it's all the codex releases and data sheet formations that make things painful.

All I want is terminator saves on a 3+ 2d6 and assault from outflank.

S'all I need. S'all any of us need. Slap a new name on it and call it 7.5. You don't even have to charge me for consulting fee.

Please god just no. All those saves on my 10 strong Lernaean blob? Yuck. 

agreed. The core rules of 7th ed are my favorite in many years. Im not saying it's not without its lumps, but overall its been a fun run

it's all the codex releases and data sheet formations that make things painful.

^^^ This. Wish I could give it more than one like because it encapsulates my feelings perfectly (IE the 7th rules aren't terrible, it's at codex level that it falls completely to pieces)

Crikey, such a lot of negativity and assuming from something that's somewhat unknown as of yet.

HH remaining in the 7th edition rule set isn't huge news - this has been on the rumour cards for a while now - I.e. 40k would get streamlined rules and HH would remain 'full' set of rules. And personally I'm all for it being left in 7th edition, as a whole it suits the Heresy play style and doesn't feel as gimmicky as 40k is at the moment. 40k needs an edition shakeup to realign some of the armies / units / characters, whereas HH doesn't need that in my opinion.

Considering this is a "no change" announcement, I think we as 30k players are in the best boat. If 8th edition is good and stable then I'm sure FW will incorporate it into 30k through updates to the red books. If 8th edition turns out to be a bit of a flop, well we just carry on as normal.

I'm going to wait and see what 8th edition brings to the Dark Angels I'm doing specifically for the new release, before analysing what an impact it could be to 30k if they adopt it.

Archived