8th Edition & BA

Charlo

We are still a faction.

We'll be getting rules same time as everyone else it seems.

"Low-cost book" will contain them.

And here is the kicker... Forgeworld models are also all getting updated rules too... So maybe a few inconsistencies will be ironed out.

And hey, maybe we'll get access to Cataphractii/ Tartaros etc :P

And here is the kicker... Forgeworld models are also all getting updated rules too... So maybe a few inconsistencies will be ironed out.

I would love it if this means they address the dreadnought restrictions in IA2. I remember asking them why we can't have Chaplain or Mortis Dreads and the (rubbish) response was 'balance'.

I knew it was coming I just wish the codex supplements weren't invalidated.

Otherwise i look forward to seeing what this new edition brings

I am willing to see them invalidated for a cleaned up rules set. (And Free Rules also help) 

This.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I like the fact that they're going with free rules and a "General's Compendium" that re-balances everything yearly. Hopefully this means no more tiers/codex creep or woefully outdated codices, or at least a mitigation of this. That alone would be worth the price of admission especially for factions like BA that don't get updated as often as the big names.

I wonder why the BA did not get a jump pack marine here, whereas SW and DA did (without being known for using jump packs much).

I'm not too optimistic for BA yet. As a whole 8th sounds interesting though.

Edited by Quixus

I wonder why the BA did not get a jump pack marine here, whereas SW and DA did (without being known for using jump packs much).

I wouldn't read too much into it. And of all the seperately mentioned Chapters we are still one of the most codex compliant ones anyway. ;)

" They are well known for their bloodthirsty zeal, favouring close combat and the use of jump packs, and for their unceasing quest for perfection – from the flawless execution of a battle plan to the aesthetics of their wargear."

Hopefully that means the rules makes us a melee power house and Jump Pack BA have a re-rollable jink save, ignoring terrain, charge 18" with D12 Hammer or Wrath, Hit and Run, Charge from Deep Strike and a re-rollable 2++ Invuln.

Oh right. Hopefully this new edition brings balance to everyone.

I'm optimistic overall. I don't think it can really get worse for us, TBH. Anything from here is upwards.

It does say 'BA love jump packs' in the second sentence of our bio. Don't think that has been forgotten.

*ninjaed

Edited by DexC

" They are well known for their bloodthirsty zeal, favouring close combat and the use of jump packs, and for their unceasing quest for perfection – from the flawless execution of a battle plan to the aesthetics of their wargear."

Hopefully that means the rules makes us a melee power house and Jump Pack BA have a re-rollable jink save, ignoring terrain, charge 18" with D12 Hammer or Wrath, Hit and Run, Charge from Deep Strike and a re-rollable 2++ Invuln.

Oh right. Hopefully this new edition brings balance to everyone.

I'm optimistic overall. I don't think it can really get worse for us, TBH. Anything from here is upwards.

Uhm....Tomb Kings. Case closed. :D

I wouldn't read too much into it. And of all the seperately mentioned Chapters we are still one of the most codex compliant ones anyway. :wink:

Well yeah, we're  mostly codex compliant, and according to fluff love what the Skyhammer annihilation force does, but still in 7th we did not get it, nor much support for jump packs in general.

It does say 'BA love jump packs' in the second sentence of our bio. Don't think that has been forgotten.

*ninjaed

Loving something and being good at something unfortunately are two separate things. Let's just wait and see.

Loving something and being good at something unfortunately are two separate things. Let's just wait and see.

Oh, I've got plenty of faith in GWs ability to screw this up. I'm just saying that we shouldn't take a picture of a tactical marine as evidence that they've already done so.

The most worrying thing for BA that I've seen thus far is this:

Now, that’s not

to say we won’t see the story advance - there’s some pretty epic stuff ahead! You can certainly

expect to see the story arcs that began in the recent Gathering Storm campaign books continue

to unfold with plenty of exciting developments to look forward to…

No one was that attached to Baal, right? At least we get to die to a big bad enemy that makes sense... Edited by DexC

The BA line will continue. Just think of marine 2.0 as 40k's version of the stormcast, dudes that look uncannily like marines but represent a different army entirely.

While new units etc for BA are uncertain, it's likely we'll be given standard codex units to get BA players something else to spend money on.

This is the first time that gw have released all the rules for everything at once..... i have to be excited at the prospect of them getting it right.

And let's face it, if they don't get it right, well could it be worse than the current predicament ?

I just want my opponents to look across the table and think.... Oh crap! Blood Angels, I better try stay away from them!

This is the first time that gw have released all the rules for everything at once..... i have to be excited at the prospect of them getting it right.

Nope, they did it in the release of third ed 40k also - the rulebook came with rules for every army in the back.

As well as the change from 5th to 6th ed fantasy, then in the change from fantasy to AoS.

It's time 40k has a change. It's nearly 20 years on the same base ruleset and it's getting creaky as models get bigger.

@Xenith

I would contest that 3rd did it.... it was a very scaled back release and everyone went onto the usual waiting list for codex afterwards.

If things are as we have been led to beleive with this release it should be a far more permanent release. I guess none of us really know there intentions but I am optimist so I'm going to hope it's alot better than the 3rd edition release!

I knew it was coming I just wish the codex supplements weren't invalidated.

Otherwise i look forward to seeing what this new edition brings

I am willing to see them invalidated for a cleaned up rules set. (And Free Rules also help) 

This.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I like the fact that they're going with free rules and a "General's Compendium" that re-balances everything yearly. Hopefully this means no more tiers/codex creep or woefully outdated codices, or at least a mitigation of this. That alone would be worth the price of admission especially for factions like BA that don't get updated as often as the big names.

Same here. I'm a bit peeved as I was currently working on DA / Chapter Ancients formations from a modelling and painting POV but I'm willing to make a few sacrifices for a more streamlined and balanced game. That has to be Priority One for most players' sake, from where we currently sit.

@Xenith

I would contest that 3rd did it.... it was a very scaled back release and everyone went onto the usual waiting list for codex afterwards.

Well, everyone goes back into a waiting list for release no matter what! Fact is that third ed rulebook gave rules for pretty much everything bar special characters (introduced later in white dwarf and then codexes) and introduced and new army (dark eldar).

Admittedly, it wasn't free, as you had to buy the rulebook.

We'll get 'get-you-by' rules until we get a full army book equivalent.

@Xenith

Well, everyone goes back into a waiting list for release no matter what! Fact is that third ed rulebook gave rules for pretty much everything bar special characters (introduced later in white dwarf and then codexes) and introduced and new army (dark eldar).

Admittedly, it wasn't free, as you had to buy the rulebook.

We'll get 'get-you-by' rules until we get a full army book equivalent.

I was very young during 3rd and stopped playing for a while once it was released, so I'll take your word for it! From what I have heard in the lead up to 8th though gw feels like they are doing things completely differently they are explaining things before doing anything and have already stated there will be yearly rebalancing of points/rules (or at least that is my interpretation). I really hated the 3rd edition reset so hopefully they do a much better job!