8th Edition & BA

Charlo

So, er, anyone notice the two warp 'corridors' crossing the galaxy-wide split?

Which would suggest it's a pretty substantial barrier.

And, far from being 'split in half', we've 7 of the 9 first founding chapters on one side, us and the Iron Hands (not marked but by the IoT iirc) on the other...

I started out optimistic, but I'm turning a bit leery of 8th edition :(

What is chapping my butt:

1. I don't want one massive tome of a "codex" for the "Imperium" faction. I like independent codices.

2. I'm not sure armor modifiers will be a good thing for space marines?

3. I'm not a fan at all of the Space Marine 2.0 rumor. That would be a HUGE dick job courtesy of GW to those of us who play space marines. If its just new SM models like what Deathwatch has given us, okay that is great, but if its a whole "new, stronger, faster", Space Marine infantry unit ... :cuss no! I'm not reinvesting into another army so I can get the new cooler space marines!! That is also silly lore-wise.

4. I don't want WS, BS, etc to go away.

5. I don't want to play Warhammer 40k Age of Sigmar in Space. No thanks. It starts with taking the factions and lumping them together into 1 to 3 huge mega factions so even someone with a crash helmet and drool cup can get the gist of the genre. No thanks! I play #1 for the lore, various fluff, various factions, etc. I don't want a simpler faction base! I hated what they did fluff and lore-wise to Warhammer Fantasy when they launched AoS. (I'm not an AoS fan if you haven't noticed lol).

6. I still like the concept of CADs and Formations.

7. I like Tactical Objectives and I like using my Tactical Objective cards.

What I like so far:

1. I like the idea of different ways to play 40k. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Narrative style is since I'm a Rule of Cool > Power player.

2. I think the rules could use a nice combing and some streamlining.

3. I like the direction they are taking 40K in terms of the new sets of conflict that will define the genre going forward into 8th edition.

Edited by Jolemai
Swear filter dodge

Also, and I might be being dense, but (from the new site's timeline page) is any of this new?

Baal's Darkest Hour:
The Blood Angels are tested as never before. A tendril of Hive Fleet Leviathan is judged to be on a direct course for Baal. Worse, the dread Bloodthirster Ka’Bandha returns from the darkness of the Warp with a Daemon army at his command, his first blow striking against Ammonai, outermost planet of the Baal system. Faced with a terrible war on at least two fronts, Dante makes swift preparation, uniting many Imperial and non-human worlds under the banner of survival. Even some former foes can be counted in Dante’s alliance, though whether or not they can be entirely trusted is another matter.

Or is this just a clumsy necron-bros reference?

Also, and I might be being dense, but (from the new site's timeline page) is any of this new?

Baal's Darkest Hour:

The Blood Angels are tested as never before. A tendril of Hive Fleet Leviathan is judged to be on a direct course for Baal. Worse, the dread Bloodthirster Ka’Bandha returns from the darkness of the Warp with a Daemon army at his command, his first blow striking against Ammonai, outermost planet of the Baal system. Faced with a terrible war on at least two fronts, Dante makes swift preparation, uniting many Imperial and non-human worlds under the banner of survival. Even some former foes can be counted in Dante’s alliance, though whether or not they can be entirely trusted is another matter.

Or is this just a clumsy necron-bros reference?

Have you read the book "Dante" by Guy Haley?

Scary stuff.

At 5:15pm GMT tomorrow (well, today now technically) there is a stream on twitch where GW will be answering questions on 8th.

I'm guessing they probably aren't going to say HUGE amounts but worth keeping note of. If no one else does I'll post a summary here and maybe get some BA questions in myself and if I'm lucky get some answers. Anything particular people want to know?

Specific questions I'd like answered.

Will there be a rule of 1 such as AOS

Will you have to pay for formations.

Will the big boxes such as Golden Host and DCSF still have a place among BA

Will Tycho still be a center piece to the BA.

Will Sanguinius come back? (Joking mostly)

Are there plans for new models for the big three BA characters? Dante,Meph,Sanguinor.

Will BA still feel like their own sub-faction in the greater imperium allegiance such as how Storm cast is to Sylvanneth.

Will Drop Pods be radically changed.

Will we be able to assault from deep strike such as with jump packs.

How will the red thirst be incorporated.

How many BA chapters are on Baal?

Will the BA armies have more inclusion of other units such as centurion etc.

I had more fluff questions and then I realized this got long, fast. Lol.

Have you read the book "Dante" by Guy Haley?

Not yet. Guessing I should...?

Definitely. When it isn't detailing Dante's life as a human/aspirant/Scout/new Marine it speaks of the aftermath of the Shield of Baal books and sets up the next book, Destruction/Desolation of Baal (can't remember the title, book is to be released). The Daemon stuff has been mentioned in passing, now we're seeing it more obviously stated.

Some more questions:

- If there are demi-company formations, will we still be forced to take more dreadnoughts than regular marines?

- Are the various quasi deep strike methods fixed?

- Which levels of play allow unbound armies?

- Did you clarify what army and detachment mean?

- Will there be an alliance of xenos races?

- Will you again clarify that the FAQ section of your updates are only houserules?

- Will you make an effort for your FAQ answers not to contradict the actual rules?

- what percentage of the rules will be free?

I started out optimistic, but I'm turning a bit leery of 8th edition :sad.:

What is chapping my butt:

1. I don't want one massive tome of a "codex" for the "Imperium" faction. I like independent codices.

2. I'm not sure armor modifiers will be a good thing for space marines?

3. I'm not a fan at all of the Space Marine 2.0 rumor. That would be a HUGE dick job courtesy of GW to those of us who play space marines. If its just new SM models like what Deathwatch has given us, okay that is great, but if its a whole "new, stronger, faster", Space Marine infantry unit ... **** no! I'm not reinvesting into another army so I can get the new cooler space marines!! That is also silly lore-wise.

4. I don't want WS, BS, etc to go away.

5. I don't want to play Warhammer 40k Age of Sigmar in Space. No thanks. It starts with taking the factions and lumping them together into 1 to 3 huge mega factions so even someone with a crash helmet and drool cup can get the gist of the genre. No thanks! I play #1 for the lore, various fluff, various factions, etc. I don't want a simpler faction base! I hated what they did fluff and lore-wise to Warhammer Fantasy when they launched AoS. (I'm not an AoS fan if you haven't noticed lol).

6. I still like the concept of CADs and Formations.

7. I like Tactical Objectives and I like using my Tactical Objective cards.

What I like so far:

1. I like the idea of different ways to play 40k. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Narrative style is since I'm a Rule of Cool > Power player.

2. I think the rules could use a nice combing and some streamlining.

3. I like the direction they are taking 40K in terms of the new sets of conflict that will define the genre going forward into 8th edition.

1. I doubt we'll get rolled into one massive tome. It simply doesn't work as soon as they get to Xenos fluff-wise.

2. I think it's a good step. Way better than the binary thing we have now.

3. Please let us not start with that here as well. The thread over at the N&R section is already annoying enough. :D

4. Nobody said it will go away. It's something that concerns me as well but until I've heard otherwise I refuse to see the sky falling. ;)

5. It won't be. Sure they'll take a lot from AoS but they also take a lot from old 40k. Also for me AoS was always more of a "40k without science fiction" anyway since I come from WHFB originally. :D

6. Formations was a great concept but they obviously had no plan about how they wanted them to be so every codex author just did whatever he wanted resulting in the huge mess we have right now. The fault there is clearly at the Lead Designer who should be supposed to look over everything and lead the other designers in the right direction.

7. Yeah I hope tactical objectives are staying.

1. It's not much different than what we have right now if you think about it. Open Play is Unbound, Narrative Play is what we get in campaign supplements just with more restrictions and additional fancy rules and Matched Play is what we know and love.

2. Definitely.

3. It sure is interesting but ultimately depends on how well they write it up. In the end the really important thing are the rules anyway.

Specific questions I'd like answered.

Will there be a rule of 1 such as AOS

Will you have to pay for formations.

Will the big boxes such as Golden Host and DCSF still have a place among BA

Will Tycho still be a center piece to the BA.

Will Sanguinius come back? (Joking mostly)

Are there plans for new models for the big three BA characters? Dante,Meph,Sanguinor.

Will BA still feel like their own sub-faction in the greater imperium allegiance such as how Storm cast is to Sylvanneth.

Will Drop Pods be radically changed.

Will we be able to assault from deep strike such as with jump packs.

How will the red thirst be incorporated.

How many BA chapters are on Baal?

Will the BA armies have more inclusion of other units such as centurion etc.

I had more fluff questions and then I realized this got long, fast. Lol.

I can already tell that half of those won't get an answer because they are too specific. :D

I wonder if they are going to take formations away from Competitive play? Seems like that is one of the big problems. So maybe we are back to a standard CAD like thing (revised of course).

Would suck for some things (some of our are pretty dang cool) but would also level the playing field a bunch.

Yeah... When I said questions I should have specified, I will only be asking for rules.

Fluff ones won't get answered unless it's something we already know, in which case, a massive waste of time for everyone on the stream.

I will ask if any of our formations are present, even if they are in a new form.

I wonder if they are going to take formations away from Competitive play? Seems like that is one of the big problems. So maybe we are back to a standard CAD like thing (revised of course).

Would suck for some things (some of our are pretty dang cool) but would also level the playing field a bunch.

Considering every single current formations is going the way of the dodo, we have no idea how much (if any!) will replace them.

Edited by Charlo

Well.

Don't forget that the majority of the BA chapter were on their way to the Diamor system, and Dante was left with a "handful" of his marines and personal honour guard to defend Baal.

Fluff wise, the first, second, and fifth companies are already at Diamor, the third is on Armageddon, no indication of the locations of the fourth and sixth through ninth, these are possibly in and around the cryptus system.

This does, however mean to Dante is stuck on the other side of a warp rift from Terra, making it hard for him to get there to meet Abby.

Wasn't the 4th the one that turned Deathcompany in Traitors Hate?

Anyway i'm looking forward to see how everything will play out.

I can easily see Dante sacrificing Baal (which would conveniently slow down the Tyranids due all the radiation probably) and hurry to Terra once they notice they can't contact Terra anymore. 

Anyone else read our fluff except from the new site?

Created during the First Founding, the Blood Angels are one of the oldest and proudest of all Space Marine Chapters. They are well known for their bloodthirsty zeal, favouring close combat and the use of jump packs, and for their unceasing quest for perfection – from the flawless execution of a battle plan to the aesthetics of their wargear.

Yet for all their nobility, the Blood Angels are deeply marred. Since the death of their winged Primarch, Sanguinius, the Blood Angels have been haunted by a curse that drives them to death and madness. Although feared and mistrusted by those they protect, the Blood Angels continue to smash the Imperium’s foes, compiling a battle history second to none.

I mean, not the best description of us with the bold part. Sounds more Emperor's Children...

Oh boy...Blood Angels are cut off from the rest of the Imperium and suffering from heavy casualties due all the threats they are facing at the same time and now this description...maybe we are the ones who turn traitor after all. :P

BA aren't alone though, almost all of the successors are there. 1st, 2nd, and whatever remaining members of the 5th have been ordered back to Baal from Diamor as per a GS3 excerpt.

They're as close to Legion strength as they'll ever be I'd wager, and supported by Sisters of Battle (maybe) and Imperial Guard; though Dante doesn't have the best outlook on what's to come that's for sure.