8th Edition & BA

Charlo

I think Dreadnought are going to be much better and won't feel like a tax if they are to be taken in a new Demi-company esque formation if said formation exists.

Here's a question I had specifically pertaining to rules and formations.

They said that you will be rewarded for bringing thematic lists, is this strictly for Narrative play, or does this also count in matched play? And what exactly do they mean by theme?

I think Dreadnought are going to be much better and won't feel like a tax if they are to be taken in a new Demi-company esque formation if said formation exists.

They said that you will be rewarded for bringing thematic lists, is this strictly for Narrative play, or does this also count in matched play? And what exactly do they mean by theme?

Yeah, I'm hoping that Dreads are going to become walking death machines, balanced but with resilience similar to the likes of a MC, with saves etc.

Formations were basically the idea of bringing a thematic list or group of units (demi-company/ lost brotherhood/ golden host all fit the criteria), the problem is they just quickly became a way to circumvent the CAD and sell more models and better rules in the arms race.

This will (seemingly) be a reset of this system. By building your army a certain way, you'll unlock command points that can be spent on buffs/ special rules/ rerolls etc, so think formations but with a broader set of rules, more than likely some specific ones too.

My guess is that they will predominantly be focused on Matched play. Narrative will have Set forces (or guidelines) and free will just be bring anything (so the bonuses could still apply I suppose).

Yeah, I'm hoping that Dreads are going to become walking death machines, balanced but with resilience similar to the likes of a MC, with saves etc.

Formations were basically the idea of bringing a thematic list or group of units (demi-company/ lost brotherhood/ golden host all fit the criteria), the problem is they just quickly became a way to circumvent the CAD and sell more models and better rules in the arms race.

This will (seemingly) be a reset of this system. By building your army a certain way, you'll unlock command points that can be spent on buffs/ special rules/ rerolls etc, so think formations but with a broader set of rules, more than likely some specific ones too.

My guess is that they will predominantly be focused on Matched play. Narrative will have Set forces (or guidelines) and free will just be bring anything (so the bonuses could still apply I suppose).

There's no reason they can't effect all "3 ways" to play positively.

Hints they've dropped that give me hope include things like (all paraphrased) "every model will now have a purpose and place" (aka Jump Packs, Dreads, etc... getting buffed in some way?) and "weapons will perform the way you imagine they would" which is already indicated by the -3 to armor etc.... as opposed to the flat out AP3. Which means dudes like Sanguinary Guard get a massive boost since their Glaives will be effective against almost everything at initiative. Movement stats and Chargers always* striking first also--at an extreme surface level glance--boost our prospects greatly since speed and Chargin' our sort of our things.

We shall see.

It's going to be a huge info dump and I'd like to think GW's inactivity in buffing left-behind units for 7th has been poured into 8th.

I'm hoping we can get the faction rules very quickly on day one, as opposed to just getting core rules for free then waiting a week for everything else to come in these "small low cost books".

Have you heard of the phrase "a bad workman blames his tools"?

Seriously though, your Dreadnoughts don't ever make it to combat?

I think he's exaggerating for humor. Dreadnoughts never make it into combat the same way that the lone melta gunner with BS4 Preferred Enemy in the rear arc of the vehicle always rolls a 2 To Hit

Have you heard of the phrase "a bad workman blames his tools"?

Seriously though, your Dreadnoughts don't ever make it to combat?

I think he's exaggerating for humor. Dreadnoughts never make it into combat the same way that the lone melta gunner with BS4 Preferred Enemy in the rear arc of the vehicle always rolls a 2 To Hit

^this :P

SO the QnA has come and gone... And wowsa! Some great stuff. All very general though, as expected faction specific questions were left out.

Main points:

Here's what I caught.  Mods might want to start a new thread or whatever to capture the results of the Livestream:

1.  If you've bought a rulebook or codex within past 8 weeks from Saturday's announcement, contact Customer Service to get a voucher for your refund.

2.  Large detachments generate more Command Points, so it will pay to stick with a single Faction vice bringing in Allies.

3.  There are lots of different versions of Force Organization Charts, and they'll generate Command Points based on how many units you fit in (see just above).

4.  There will be generic uses for Command Points in the Rules, then there will be Faction-specific ones in the codices.

5.  Five different army books available at launch; I think he said all of the different Space Marine Factions will be in one of those books.

6.  It will be a "keyword" based system (like AoS), so special rules won't be shared between units/leaders if they don't have the right keyword (another thing that encourage sticking to a single Faction).

7.  You'll still be able to fit in Allies into the various FOC options, though, so Allies are going away.

8.  No more Stats capped at '10'.

9.  Everything can hurt everything else, but it'll be significantly hard for weaker weapons to hurt tanks, for example. 

10.  No more Armour Value for vehicles, they're going to the same characteristics block as everything else (so expect to-wound rolls and armour saves).

11.  Vehicles will, however, get lots of Wounds to reflect their durability (see point 8, above).

12.  Vehicles and Monstrous Creatures will get one of the "degrading charts" like in AoS (i.e. the more Wounds taken, the less effective they become).

13.  Large weapons will do multiple Wounds to Tanks and Monstrous Creatures.

14.  Templates are indeed gone.

15.  There will be new Faction(s) at launch!

EDIT:  

16.  They also said that it will remain a d6 based system.

EDIT 2:

17.  They said all of the Adepticon stuff already leaked was happening, so:

a.  Bringing back Movement Characteristic

b.  Chargers attack first in close combat (although this can be interrupted by the use of a Command Point)

c.  Armour Save Modifiers are back in

d.  Morale like AoS battleshock, probably

I'll go back and add to this list after listening a second time.

DREADS GOT TOUGHER GUYS. 
Edited by Charlo

YES, YES, YES!

I really hope that this system rewards full strength units also, like free weapon upgrades or Summat. Or just make them full strength all the time.

All these tanks I've been building recently are going to be fun to use!

Oh and another thing... There are TWO POINTS SYSTEMS:

• Power Level: Done on a unit per unit basis. Very broad and meant for narrative play or for more begginer/ fluffy games. A Tactical Squad is X points and this includes all of it's upgrades and options.
  • Granular: Points system we know today for matched play. You pay for models, weapons and wargear separately.

Agreed Granular all the way. I heard them mention attacks that do multiple wounds. Finally the imbalance between vehicles and mcs will be addressed. Also the guys at ITC and others have play tested every unit so there should be very few dud ones and nerfed OP ones. Looking at you wraith knight ;)

Just saw the q & a video and so faar im really optimistic.

Had it running in the background but as faar as i heard they want to update at all anually by listening to the feedback they get from the community. They wont be shy to tinker with points cost! That might help balancing it all out as people find all the loopholes.

Im really excided for the new edition so faar.

Agreed Granular all the way. I heard them mention attacks that do multiple wounds. Finally the imbalance between vehicles and mcs will be addressed. Also the guys at ITC and others have play tested every unit so there should be very few dud ones and nerfed OP ones. Looking at you wraith knight ;)

Back in the day, a krak grenade did D6 damage, krak missile did D10, melta gun D6, lascannon 2D6, multi-melta 2D12 and so on.

Could be interesting.

Can only see me playing it one way tbh but for newbies it's great.

I don't get it , what's the point of giving a five devastators without upgreades the same point value as five devastators with grav cannons & grav amps?